Sunday, July 21, 2019

JUMP FOR JOY...LIFE IS A SONG AND DANCE...A GAME OF CHANCE




There are joyous periods when we effortlessly waltz through life, but life is not always as smooth as a genteel minuet.  Often existence is a bump and grind as we hustle around the best we can.  When we get in a twist, it’s time to be a bit foxy, and do our utmost to trot along breezily while casting our woes to the wind.  Frequently, we take two steps forward, only to defeat the purpose by taking three in reverse. There are instances, when feeling poles apart in our way of thinking our desire is to quickstep away in the hope of finding peace and quiet. We are told it takes two to tango, but there are moments when it’s more fun to conga. Even though, when doing the conga, we’re following the herd, we’re not being sheep.  One never knows to where the line may lead. There’s no rule saying we can’t be a goat, and kick up our heels. We’re free to break away if the feeling to go solo takes hold - to run our own race; to tap dance in one spot awhile.

Amidst the fusion of life’s complexities are happy, sad, good and bad memories. Many episodes are cherished; many chapters we do our utmost to suppress, or forget. 

Dare I presume to speak on behalf of others?  Oops! There...I did dare!  I could retract my presumption before I post my ramblings, but I doubt that will occur.  It’s called - “living on the edge”.  In life, one has to take risks every now and then.

Of course, I’ve taken risks, but when taking them I’ve done my level, and un-level best, to be aware, not only of my own safety, but that of others, too.  Being stuck on an island in the middle of a cyclone, the welfare of my guests was my top priority. I didn’t create the risk.  Mother Nature was to blame. Like all females, Ms Nature, having a mind of her own, can change her mind on a whim.  It is the risk we take every day and night with her around!

In 1987, our Kiwi neighbour, AJ Hackett, became an instant, living legend when he took a giant risk by illegally jumping from the Eiffel Tower.  By that perilous feat, AJ introduced the world to a previously unknown, hair-raising activity...“Bungy Jumping”.  

A couple of years later, still on a high, in 1989, adrenaline junkie, AJ Hackett and his mate, Henry van Asch, who had a similar addiction, began eyeing off land between Smithfield, north of Cairns and its hinterland – in Tropical North Queensland.  

Seeking rental accommodation before construction commenced on the Cairns Bungy site, AJ’s crew entered the Smithfield real estate office (Inner Circle Realty) in which I was then employed as Property Manager/Receptionist/Secretary.

Sweet-talkers with the best of intentions, virtually on bent knees before me, they pleaded their case, declaring they were characters of the most responsible kind.
 Instead of an apple, they attempted to tempt me to accept them as tenants by offering free bungy jumps once the site was up (down) and running (jumping). 

Politely, I declined to leap at their offer to take the risk of taking the decline. 
I did rise to the occasion, though, by leasing them accommodation suitable to their needs.

Taking a safer route, not a risk, once they were settled, I accepted their offer to dine, and view videos of Hackett’s first commercial bungy site at Kawarau Gorge, near Queenstown in New Zealand’s South Island,

They were a genuine, lovely group of young folk.

In August, 1990, the Cairns’ site opened. It was the first purpose-built bungy tower in the world. To this day it remains a popular activity enjoyed by adventurous risk-takers, of which I am not one.  

Managing a loaded shopping trolley that wants to go one way, and I, the other, in the supermarket car park, is risk enough for me...thank you very much!

Kiwi Cucumber Walnut Salad: Wash, dry and tear one head butter lettuce leaves, or other lettuce of choice; arrange in serving dish. Slice one cucumber very thinly; pat dry to remove excess moisture; add to salad. Peel and slice 2 kiwi fruit; add to salad. Halve decoratively another 4 kiwi fruit; add to salad. Top with 1/3c walnut pieces and fresh mint leaves. Drizzle with Lime Vinaigrette, and toss just before serving: – 1/4c x-virgin olive oil, 1tbs lime juice, 1tsp zest, 1/4c rice vinegar, 2tsp honey; season to taste.

Kiwi-Ginger Cheesecake: Combine 100g crumbed gingernuts and 50g melted butter; press into greased, lined loose-bottom, 20cm/8" in diameter cake tin; bake 10mins at 180C. Remove from oven; set aside. Beat 450g cream cheese, 10g caster sugar, 3 large eggs, beaten, and 2tsp vanilla paste together until light and fluffy. Pour mixture into cake tin; level mixture with the back of a spoon. Bake 1hr, or until well risen, and centre of cheesecake is firm to touch. Remove from oven; cool in the tin. Carefully remove cake from tin; place on serving platter. Peel and thinly slice 6-8 kiwi fruit; arrange slices around top of cheesecake; then slide slices of stem ginger/ginger in syrup, in and amongst the kiwi slices. Drizzle some ginger syrup over the fruit and ginger; chill until ready to serve. Serve in slices with crème fraîche or cream, as preferred.

Kiwi-Chia Pudding: Combine 3tbs chia seeds and 1c almond “milk”, or real milk. Stir very well to avoid any chunks. Add 1tbs maple syrup or honey and 1tsp vanilla. Mix very well. Cover and chill 4-5 hours. Puree 1c kiwi fruit; mix into pudding. Pour into individual bowls; top with coconut flakes and fresh berries of choice.  



28 comments:

  1. Years ago, I ‘thought’ I would like to try a short bungee jump. When it came to will I or won’t I, I didn’t. I have no regrets about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha! I have no regrets, either, Arleen, about not taking the plunge! It's riskier enough keeping one's feet planted firmly on the ground!!!

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  2. Jump for joy? Sure. (But not off the Eiffel Tower). As soon as this wretched asthma coughing lets up anyway. It's been months and I don't think there's much lung left..I may have to see the doc and get stronger medication. The main culprit is mould and there's lots of it about with everybody's garden mulches moldering down this time of year. I hope I'm not allergic to Lola, she sheds like it's summer and she's too hot. Cat hair everywhere. EVERYWHERE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear you're having these problems, River. So debilitating and frustrating for you it must be. Do you brush Lola? Perhaps brushing might help with the fur shedding, if you don't. I, too, hope you're not allergic to her.

      Like you, no doubt, I'm eagerly waiting the release of Season 3 of "Goliath", which is due sometime this year. I did enjoy the first two seasons. Great series. I like Billy Bob Thornton, He's always good. And anything with David E. Kelley's name on it is worth watching. The actress who played "Patty", Nina Arianda, was in Season 4 of "Billions".

      Thanks for coming by. Take care...I hope all clears up for you very soon. :)

      Delete
    2. I do brush Lola, it took a while for her to allow me to do that, but it doesn't make much difference.
      I haven't heard of "Billions" but since I already have about a dozen series to catch up on I think I'll pass on that one. For now.

      Delete
    3. I really enjoy "Billions"....Damian Lewis (who I like very much) from "Homeland" etc., stars in it...alongside Paul Giamatti from the movie "Sideways" (and others. I'm looking forward to the next season. The fifth season is in the works.

      I just have to say the word "brush"...and my two will wake up from the deepest sleep with a little chirp! lol They love being brushed.

      Take care.

      Delete
  3. There are some risks you have to take in life, like driving to work every day. The risks i do not have to take, such as jumping off a building (or a tower), i will pass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, messymimi. Why push your luck, I reckon! lol

      Even up here on this mountain greenery I'm always alert when out on the road. Many a driver, selfishly, and ignorantly, believes he or she is the only person on the road.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  4. I don';t think I could bungee jump either. I love kiwi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, Sandie...I'm not that brave...or stupid...either! lol

      I love kiwi fruit, too...and they're so good for us...full of Vitamin C.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  5. The dancers at the top of your post are a delight to the eye!
    Kiwi is the only fruit that is not friendly to my stomach when eaten in its raw form. However, I haven't given it up because of its nutrients. I use it in cooked/baked things, and it's all delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, DUTA,,,that is a fun dance image, I agree. :)

      I wonder what it is in the Kiwi fruit that upsets your stomach. Just around the corner from where I live is a property consisting of a few acres that grows and sells the fruit on a roadside stalls and to the local market.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  6. I can hardly think of anything I'd like less than bungy jumping and I reckon I'd have thought that when I was 18 too! I am glad you posted some kiwi recipes. But guess what, I thought bungy jumping was a Kiwi thing! I wonder how I got that idea. And you posting the kiwi recipes, well, hey, that is surely some kind of a hint? :D :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny...Bungy jumping did start in New Zealand...by a Kiwi...AJ Hackett...as per what I wrote in my post. Those who I rented accommodation to were also New Zealanders...all of whom worked for AJ.

      I had no desire to go bungy jumping, but I did enjoy watching the videos I viewed. But, they didn't inspire me to take a leap myself! :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
    2. Oh,sorry for my mistake. I'm glad my memory wasn't as flaky as I sometimes feel it is getting
      though!

      Delete
    3. Not a problem, Jenny! lol What is your name again! ;)

      Delete
  7. As for bungy jumping, I'm afraid my heart would stop before they hauled me back up:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same with me, Sandra. I wouldn't be jumping for joy...that's for sure!!

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  8. Reading this I have had a light bulb moment - a bright idea. To raise money for Australian Platypus Conservancy, you could easily gather sponsorship from your blog readers. I for example would be happy to sponsor you for $20AUS and all that you would need to do is one, just one bungy jump. Think of those incredible creatures - now in such sad decline. Just one bungy jump from you could help them to live on far into the future. Come on Lee - you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, Yorkie...the platypus is not an endangered species.

      I probably could do it...however, I have no desire to do it. I do what I feel like doing and am not easily coerced into doing something I have no desire to do. I'm no easily led. I thought you would've gathered that by now. :)

      Keep your $20 - buy a few pints....thanks for your generous offer...and thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
    2. You do it. You seem pretty keen on the idea...so you do it. :)

      Delete
    3. Not keen on me doing it. Keen on you doing it. But I tell yow what - if you sign up to do a bungy jump in Queensland, I will do one at the same time here in Merry Olde England.

      Delete
    4. Yeah! Yeah! Pull the other one...it plays "Dixie"!!!!

      Delete
  9. Love your clever use of language. I checked out Hackett's website. His motto appears to be "live more, fear less." And he now advertises on his site something called a "catapult." Goodness. It's hard enough to get me on a plane. I'll always prefer solid ground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Dave! I'm with you! I like my feet firmly planted on the ground...or up on the sofa or bed! :)

      I don't even jump out of bed!

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  10. It's a "Nup !" from me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bungee jumping is not for me but kiwi fruit certainly is :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete