Monday, July 08, 2019

THE RHYTHM OF LIFE...MELODIES OF THE HEART...CLOSE TO MY HEART....







Where do I begin....and where do I finish?  I’m afraid my list is endless, but I will try my best in giving you some of my favourites.

Concierto de Aranjeuz by Rodrigo…by classical guitarist Julian Bream (or any other, for that matter)

Although the person who introduced me to this magnificent piece many years ago turned out to be the biggest jerk around – and I kicked him to the kerb - I must, not even begrudgingly, thank him for drawing my attention to this exquisite guitar concerto by Spanish composer Joaquin Rodrigo...written in 1939.

Clair de Lune by Debussy….

From the days of my childhood (when I learned to play it on the piano) through to this day...I have loved Clair de Lune.  My feelings are unlikely to change. When I listen to this beautiful music masterpiece I imagine drifting across a calm, peaceful lake in a punt, with me dressed in a long, flowing white flimsy dress, with soft green embroidery embossed in the fabric, while trailing my hands in the cool waters...a warm sun shining in a blue sky above....a gentle breeze blowing.

Dancing With the One You Love…The Amazing Rhythm Aces
It brings back haunting memories of special, happy times.

A Soft Place To Fall…Allison Moorer

One of the most sensual, romantic songs...on the soundtrack of the wonderful movie – “The Horse Whisperer”...adapted from the equally wonderful book...a story close to my heart....

The Last Farewell….Roger Whittaker

I’m always reminded of one, unexpected, romantic night sitting on the deck around the pool on Hinchinbrook Island after the guests had retired for the evening and being serenaded by a certain someone who was to play a special role in my life for a couple of years. He played guitar and had a wonderful singing voice. Our first “date” and a sure-fire way to win a girl’s heart!

The Closest Thing To Crazy…Katie Melua
Just because….

Always On My Mind…Willie Nelson
Special moments…too many to list...a beautiful, beautiful song..

Spirit….the whole CD by Willie Nelson

The first time I heard the whole album it immediately resonated with me…I was going through a difficult time and somehow it helped.

West Texas Heaven…the CD by Kimmie Rhodes (Same comments apply as above and I always play the two CDs together…or rather, one after the other!)

Breathless…the CD by Kenny G

Every time I play this CD reminds me of wonderful weekends I spent in a little cabin right on the foreshore at Rose Bay, Bowen, looking over the turquoise water out to Gloucester Island. Bowen has some of the most beautiful beaches in Queensland, if not Australia. I have very fond memories of those times I spent at that cabin, which was called “Laguna”.

London Homesick Blues…Jerry Jeff Walker

This always reminds me of a good friend who introduced me to some excellent music. He and I spent many hours listening to, recording and sharing music...and sharing great conversations.

Me & Bobby McGee…Kris Kristofferson, harmonica by Jackson Browne...to say anything more would be redundant...

Sunday Morning Coming Down…

Loving Her Was Easier...All of the above by Mr. Kristofferson – comment covers each and every one! 

Defying Gravity & One Endless Night…Jimmie Dale Gilmore

Still Feeling Blue….Gram Parsons

Streets of Baltimore…Gram Parsons

You Still Move Me…Dan Seals

Meet Me in Montana...Dan Seals and Marie Osmond

All That Glitters....Dan Seals

I Could Go On Loving You….Kieran Kane or Alan Jackson

Kickin’ Back in Amsterdam…Kevin Welch

You Needed Me…Ann Murray – If I could sing...I would love to have a voice like that of Ann Murray

A Bushman Can't Survive...Tania Kernaghan and Lee Kernaghan (sister and brother)

The Universal Soldier….Buffy Sainte-Marie

Dark End of the Street…The Flying Burritos Bros

We Must Believe in Magic...Jack Clement

When I Dream....Jack Clement

I've Been To Bedlam.....Jack Clement

Stardust...Nat King Cole

Annie’s Song....anything by the wonderful John Denver

I love the Blues...I love Bluegrass...I love
rock...classical...opera.....jazz...folk....Native American/Indian....New World...Celtic...bagpipes....country....

See…I warned you! I could go on forever and ever and a day...and I almost have...I have a lot more!


20 comments:

  1. There are some lovely songs there Lee.
    I used to play a lot of classical music once, still have my piano.
    Some country I'm fond of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Margaret...I used to play the piano...but haven't done so for many years now. I'd be flat out playing Chopsticks these days...although I can use them. :)

    That is only a tip of the iceberg of the songs/music I love...I've many on the list. And I've a long list of those I don't like, too. :)

    Thanks for coming by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like that Defying Gravity song, I'm going to have to buy it from iTunes and add it to my playlist.
    Lola is walking across my keyboard for the fourth time in a half hour, I think I should probably give her dinner, she had breakfast at 3am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, River...Lola might be picking out some songs for herself! :)

      The whole Jimmie Dale Gilmore CD is great. I'm sure you would like it.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  4. Lovely choice, I should listen to those!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should, natalia...

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  5. Just as it would take lifetimes upon lifetimes to read all the great books there are to read in this world, it would take an equal amount of time to fully appreciate all of the amazing and fabulous music that has ever been composed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some of those I have never heard of - but I bet I have heard about a third of them - and I agree with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, Sandie...pages could be filled...filled with pleasure and memories. :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  7. There's a few there that I don't know but none there that I'm aware of disliking. My tastes are very catholic but these days it's mainly what is referred to as classical music I listen to. Everything depends on the mood I'm in though. Something I play one day or perhaps one hour even may not be what I want to listen to an hour or a day later. I remember falling for her voice and songs when I first heard Katie Melua.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Graham...I, too, have a catholic taste in music.

      I fell in love with Melua's voice when I first heard her, too...and immediately bought the CD. I still love it.

      Thanks for coming by. I hope all is well. :)

      Delete
  8. Shouldn't that be "Eat Me in Montana" by Dan Seals and Marie Osmond? Thanks for sharing your special list. Some of those numbers resonate for me too..."Universal Soldier", "Me and Bobby McGee", "Annie's Song" and the wonderfully simple "Always on My Mind". If a listener cannot connect with that Willie Nelson song, he/she is hardly human.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for pointing out the error of my ways, or in copying and pasting, Yorkie. Leaving the "M" off is an indictable offence! I must be the only person in the world who makes typos!!

      "Annie's Song" is and always will be close to my heart. It was one of my late bother's favourite songs (Denver was a huge favourite of his), and Graham, my brother, made me promise that when he died I would play the song in his memory...not hymns. I followed his wishes.

      We both went to John Denver's live concert in Townsville...about 12 months or so before Denver's tragic, untimely death. He was absolutely brilliant. We were fortunate to meet and talk with him, too, which was such a thrill. That night...everything about it...remains cherished in my heart and memory.

      In early 2002, I saw Willie Nelson live in concert in Brisbane...he certainly did not disappoint. He, too, was brilliant. I love Nelson.

      Thanks for coming by. I'll do my best not to make further errors. However, I know I can depend on you to correct me. :)

      Delete
    2. Did your Graham bother you? See above you naughty girl!...I never got to see John Denver or Willie Nelson but I would have loved to have seen both of these guys in concert...perhaps dueting!

      Delete
    3. Just imagine all the fun you would miss out on, Yorkie, if I never made a typo! How dull your life would be. Finally, I've discovered my true purpose in life...it is to make you happy.

      Please explain to me what it is like to be perfect. :)

      Delete
    4. Ever heard of a guy called Jesus?...It's a bit like that.

      Delete
    5. And, look how, and where, he ended up, Yorkie.

      Delete
  9. We are so blessed to have music in our lives, I think you've chosen some lovely songs here Lee.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jan. I've so many more, of course...as we all do in our list of favourites. Music plays an important role in our lives, I believe. It does, and has done so in my own.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete