Sunday, September 01, 2019

THE DEVIL YOU KNOW...





Is it best to be caught between the devil and the deep blue sea; or between a rock and a hard place?  It’s six of one; half a dozen of the other, I guess.  For a non-swimmer the former would be a bit tricky, unless either a life-jacket or dinghy was within arm’s reach.  In the second instance, if it’s a large boulder, not a pebble or rock that’s blocking your way, or, worse still, has landed on you, that would be enough to deflate one’s ego; flatten one’s ambitions...of becoming a rock-climber, at least. 

Looking on the bright side...one door closes, and another opens; but a breeze will always blow in the direction that it wishes to go, closing the door while opening another...on and on it continues. Doors opening and shutting until you use the rock as a doorstop. 

While the doors are opening and slamming shut hold onto that flighty bird in the hand. I’m told it’s worth two in the bush.  I’m not sure how or why.  

There is nothing as pretty as a bird on the wing...unless it’s a vulture.  They’re not the most attractive avian feathered creatures. If you see them circling above, I’d be a bit concerned if I were you.  

Our wings are small, but the ripples of the heart are infinite. No bird (hen or cock) can fly without opening its wings.

Sometimes you have to wing it, though!  You cannot fly like an eagle with the wings of a wren, or a quail, for that matter.  Where there’s a will, there’s a way. Get all your ducks in a row. If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...it’s probably Donald. Not everything is what it quacks up to be, though.

No one can love without exposing his or her heart.  

It has been said blood is thicker than water.  However, that is not always the case.

Being all show and no substance; all show, and no go, many are angels on the outside, but devils inside. 

Measure for measure, in a nutshell, Shakespeare’s insightful words nailed it in one: “O' What may man within him hide...though angel on the outward side!” 

Judging others comes easily to many; but they must remember to be perfect for the rest of their own lives.

Like wild seas eat away at the coastline, jealousy eats away at them.  

Disappointingly, some who espouse various religions – Christianity, Buddhism etc., etc., - wear the cloak of hypocrisy.  

Fools rush in where angels fear to tread.  Understanding is the heartwood of well-spoken words.

Ralph Waldo Emerson wrote: “The ancestor of every action is a thought.” 

Lebanese-American author, poet, artist Kahlil Gibran - he who generously gifted the world with “The Prophet”, his inspirational book of prose poetry - believed:  Beauty is not in the face; beauty is a light in the heart.  Love one another, but make not a bond of love. Let it rather be a moving sea between the shores of your souls. To belittle you have to be little.
 
The shadow which I throw is definitely a shadow of me. No tricks, or trick lighting used.  What you see is what you get.  

Still waters run deep, but don’t be fooled. Such is not always the case.  Water in the kitchen sink is still, but not deep.

To cover my butt, I confess I plagiarised most of the sage maxims herein, not only those of authors I acknowledged.

I add a few thoughts for Father’s Day, which was celebrated yesterday, 1st September...but, I suppose, like Mother’s Day, every day is Father’s Day, if you are one or the other:-

A father carries pictures where his money used to be. 

She got her looks from her father.  He’s a plastic surgeon. 

By the time a man realizes that maybe his father was right, he usually has a son who thinks he’s wrong.  

A father is someone you look up to no matter how tall you grow.  

Any man can be a father, but it takes someone special to be a Dad.  

He who laughs last, laughs longest... probably because he’s laughing at his own jokes – Dad jokes!  
 

Dry-Rubbed Baked Chicken Wings with Blue Cheese Dip: Preheat oven 200C.  Line a large baking sheet with 2 sheets of aluminium.  Place sprayed cooling rack on top; set aside. In small bowl, combine 1/2tbs each ancho chilli pepper, smoked paprika, onion powder, salt, 3/4tbs brown sugar, 3/4tsp chilli powder, 3/4tsp paprika, 3/4tsp cumin, 1/2tsp garlic powder, 1/2tsp cayenne, 1/2tsp dry mustard powder, 1/4tsp black pepper, 1/3tsp dried oregano and 1/4tsp ground thyme.  In a large bowl, put 2kg chicken wings and 2tbs x-virgin olive oil; toss gently to coat. Sprinkle in the dry rub; use your hands to massage it into wings, coating evenly.   Add chicken wings to prepared baking sheet and bake 45 minutes. Serve with - Blue Cheese Dip: Place 1/4c crumbled blue cheese, 1 garlic clove, 1tsp minced fresh thyme, 1tbs minced fresh parsley, 1tbs hot sauce (or to taste), pinch of salt and pepper, and 1/2c sour cream in bowl. Mix with fork; adjust seasoning, and thickness.

Orange and Sage Glazed Duck: Score skin of a duck breast; season. In pan over med-low heat, add 2tbs butter and1tbs honey or maple syrup. Cook until butter has slightly browned; then add 1/4tsp sage and 1/2tsp orange extract. Let this cook until butter is deep amber. Put duck breast into a cold pan. Set pan’s heat to med-high. After a few minutes flip duck; skin should be crisp. Add 1tbs cream to orange and sage butter; stir well. Pour over duck breast in pan; let mix with the duck fat. Cook a few minutes. Wilt spinach in pan.  Serve duck on wilted spinach. 



23 comments:

  1. I greatly enjoy reading famous quotes. However, I myself seldom use them. I keep saying to myself: 'at your age you should have your own words of wisdom'. Well, what can I do; I'm not that wise, so I do go back to read the wonderful things others had to say.
    The glazed duck sounds delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all come up with our own words of wisdom, DUTA. Unfortunately, the majority of times we fail to write them down to keep for posterity...for others to read and enjoy (or not)!

    Too often we are our own worst enemy...we don't believe others will find wisdom in our words.

    Thanks for coming by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved your quotes too - I read so many and think - gee I believe that - why do people listen better to quotes then when you just talk about things? lol sandie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Sandie....People are too interested in listening to their own voices, I think! It really annoys me when I'm talked over or when telling a story, the other person completes it for me...even though they were never physically party to it - present!! So many people do that...two conversations running in parallel! :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  4. Some fathers are more accurately described as sperm donors. It is often their only act of 'generosity'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree, EC. My late brother and my father was one such donor He played no role in either of our lives. Mum and Nana stepped up to the plate...all along the line.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  5. There's a lot to think about in all of those quotes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That there is, River.....

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  6. You make me smile while reminding me of great wisdom of the sages -- that takes talent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Tis good to while awhile with a smile, messymimi... :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  7. Anonymous4:25 PM

    You don't need to do sudoku when you set your brain such word tasks. I saw the third Father's Day quote elsewhere recently and I really like it. A little blue cheese goes a long way for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Andrew...I like blue cheese. I know it's not to everyone's taste. There are many other sauces that suit the chicken wings. I don't like mayonnaise...never use it, not even when I was cooking professionally, but if you like mayo, dipping sauces can be made using it.

    Various chilli sauces are great accompaniments, too.

    Thanks for coming by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was a lot of work collecting all those sayings!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tabor...it was more fun than work. I think we surprise ourselves when we realise how many of them play a part in our everyday lives...express in one way or the other.

      Thanks for coming by...nice to see you. :)

      Delete
  10. Bravo! You crammed a lot of sayings in to this post and had a little pick at most of them - like nibbling the flesh from bones. Perhaps that might inspire a couple of salutary new sayings..."To reach the bone of a subject you must first chew the flesh" or "Eat the meat but leave the bones for the dogs"...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can be picky at times, particularly when I have a bone to pick. Most times, however, I am a bit choosy - I'll chew on it for a while.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  11. you're a non swimmer and you took those boats across to the islands? you are brave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Linda...I didn't say I was a non-swimmer. I learned to swim when I was a just a toddler. At that stage in my life we lived very close to the ocean...my brother and I were always swimming.

      I wasn't referring to myself when I wrote "For a non-swimmer"....perhaps I should have phrased that better.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  12. It's wonderful how you wove all these quotes together into such an entertaining post! Always love your recipes, and one with blue cheese, yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed doing it, CC...kept me out of trouble...for a brief while, anyway!! :)

      Thanks for coming by.... :)

      Delete
  13. I'm pretty much absent from blogland these days, Lee but I've been thinking of you these past few days. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, Pauline. Thank you for your thoughts.

      So far so good up here on the plateau, but in other areas around here...down in the valley below...and at Beechmont and Binna Burra, they're being badly affected. The winds have been horrendous. Such a battle going on, in so many areas. Everywhere is so very dry....unbelievable! It's almost a non-win battle.

      And, now....as of last night, up on the Sunshine Coast around Peregian Springs and parts of Coolum Beach they have become the victims of raging bush fires.

      Oh! I wish it would rain...pour and pour and pour! It's a very frightening situation...in far too many places...throughout Queensland...and New South Wales.

      Some idiot teenagers are suspected of starting the fires in Peregian Springs! This morning they are being questioned by police.

      I just don't understand...never will understand...the mentality of some people. I don't care how old they are...they should have more bloody sense. Useless wastes of space! And they should be put on the front lines fighting the blazes...without any respite - no rest breaks!!!

      I've put together a couple of bags of necessities...for me and my two furry mates - just in case...one never knows what is in store...and it's best to be prepared, even if only in a small way.

      Thank you very much, Pauline...I appreciate your concern. :)

      Delete
  14. Yum! Dry-Rubbed Baked Chicken Wings with Blue Cheese Dip!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete