Monday, October 14, 2019

I HEARD IT THROUGH THE GRAPEVINE....


Sunshine Beach
Duke Street Shops Circa 2019
Apartment...Duke Street, Sunshine Beach
Beachfront Apartment....Hastings Street, Noosa Heads
Noosa Heads Beach, and Noosa Sound Canal Development at rear...
A section of Hastings Street, Noosa Heads



As we stroll, run, walk, skip, roll, hobble, or waddle – by whatever manner or means - along Life’s meandering highway some of those whose paths we cross leave a lasting impression upon us.

Hopefully, we watch where we’re going so we don’t leave a lasting impression on the toes of others.  Of course, I’m referring to the good folk we meet...not the idiots.  It’s best to try to skip over or avoid the fools. For peace of mind, it’s best to erase the latter from our memories forever, if possible.

Down the street a bit, and around the corner from where my then husband and I lived in Sunshine Beach in the early 80s were the Sunshine Beach shops, situated in Duke Street. 

The few businesses had panoramic views across the street to the foreshore and the beckoning ocean. A popular restaurant and an impossible-to-ignore French patisserie were upstairs above a surf board shop, a small grocery store, and “The Sunshine Grapevine”.

The Grapevine, a greengrocery, was operated by the irrepressible, ebullient Dougie Robinson. His was the only greengrocery I frequented. I was a regular shopper at The Grapevine.  Dougie had to stock more oranges because in those days I bought oranges by the carton (I buy them by the bag these days); and, onions, I purchased by the bag.  And, yes...I used onions a lot in food preparation.

Dougie’s wife worked alongside him.  Their intelligent, cheerful personalities made fruit and vegetable shopping an even more enjoyable event.

Before he became a lively ray of sunshine in Sunshine Beach, Dougie, a butcher by trade, and a character by nature, owned and operated a butcher shop in Hastings Street, Noosa Heads. Laughter and goodwill had been part and parcel of his business there, too. What is the secret to being a butcher? I’m sure there is one.  They’re a special breed of their own.  Butchers are among the most pleasant, fun, yet polite people I’ve had the good fortune to deal with – to joke with - to share conversations with.  I don’t know if having a good sense of humour is a requirement when applying for a butcher apprenticeship, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was.  

Rarely without a broad smile on his face, and a happy word to share, Dougie, dressed in his butcher’s garb expertly waved his knives about with cheerful gusto.  Nothing was ever too much trouble for him. Like his personality, his meat was the best. 

When I heard through the grapevine he’d stepped away from the chopping block, changed outfits, and switched blades, I then switched, and became a regular customer at his Sunshine Beach fruit and vegetable shop. 

Selflessly, Dougie gave me priceless guidance and recommendations when I was readying to open my own greengrocery-health food shop in Hastings Street, Noosa Heads.
  
In those days (and I still do to this day) I ate a lot of fresh vegetables and fruit, but I was an inexperienced novice at being a greengrocer.

Big-hearted Dougie, without hesitation, willingly shared his wealth of knowledge. 

Before I took a bite of the apple, in the wee small hours before the break of dawn, a couple of times I went with Dougie to The Brisbane Produce Markets at Rocklea to learn the ropes.  He introduced me to numerous market vendors, pointing out those he considered to be the best.  Every skerrick of advice my knowledgeable tutor gave me I followed to the lettuce...oops...letter!  

Dougie’s sage counsel - his generosity of spirit in helping a green-horn like me understand the operation of a greengrocery - was invaluable. I’ll never forget his kindness. 

Aged around 60, give or take, Dougie was a gentleman among gentlemen...one who always had a smile on his face, a joke to share...kind, wise words to say.  

However, Doughie was nobody’s fool. To take him for granted, to play upon his happy nature, his quick-witted, good humour was to do so at one’s own peril.  I was proud to call him “friend”....

Sirloin Steak Salad: Rub both sides of 2x500gx2cm thick sirloin steaks with olive oil; season generously; rub some minced fresh rosemary and sage into the steak. Let stand at room temp 1hr; or chill uncovered 4hrs. Prepare grill to med-high; or heat pan over high heat; cook steaks to desired doneness. Transfer to platter; loosely cover; set aside. Whisk together 1tb red wine vinegar, 2tsp Dijon mustard, 1 large minced garlic clove, salt and pepper; add 4tbs olive oil while whisking. Arrange 8c mixed salad greens in salad bowl; cut steaks across the grain into slices about 12mm thick; arrange on greens; top with 3tbs toasted pine nuts, 185g crumbled Gorgonzola; drizzle with dressing.

Mixed Salad: Combine 1/4c olive oil, 1/2c red wine vinegar, 2 finely chopped garlic cloves, 3tbs chopped flat leaf parsley, 2tbs fresh oregano, 1tsp red pepper flakes and 1/4tsp black pepper; add 500g flank steak; marinate 2hrs. Heat pan over med-high heat. Remove the steak from  marinade; generously season. Cook steak as desire; remove to cutting board; rest 10mins, then slice against grain. Arrange 4c mixed greens, 2 tomatoes, cut into wedges, 2 peaches, cut into wedges, 1 large sliced avocado, 2 sliced red onion, and 2 grilled corn on the cob, with kernels sliced off into sheets, Drizzle vinaigrette on top.

Roasted Brussels Sprouts Grapes & Walnuts: Heat oven 230C.  On 2 rimmed baking sheets, toss 8c halved or quartered (if large) Brussels sprouts and 700g red grapes with 2tbs x-virgin oil and 4tbs fresh thyme; season. Roast, until caramelized and tender, about 20mins. Drizzle each tray with 1tsp balsamic vinegar and scrape up any caramelized bits; add 1/2c toasted, coarsely chopped walnuts; toss...not out the window!
 
Roasted Stuffed Onions: Heat the oven 218C. Slice off the top quarter of 4 medium onions. Peel them and trim the bottoms just enough to make them sit flat. Heat 2tbs olive oil in a heavy-based ovenproof skillet until hot. Put onions, cut side down, into pan: cook just the cut side until well browned, about 5mins. Take pan off the heat. Turn onions cut side up; pour 1-1/2c dry white wine over them. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add 2 fresh thyme sprigs to pan; bake onions until just tender when poked with a knife, about 1 hour. Remove onions from the skillet (reserving the liquid in the pan); let them cool slightly. With a spoon, scoop out the inside of each onion, leaving a rim 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick (about two layers of onion). Chop enough of the scooped-out onion to make about 1/3 cup. In a medium bowl, mix the chopped onion with 2/3c dry breadcrumbs, 1/2c grated Parmigiano,125g coarsely chopped prosciutto, 2tbs heavy cream, 1-1/2tsp chopped thyme, and 1tbs chopped Italian parsley; season.. Divide filling among the hollowed onions, return onions to the skillet with the liquid, and put the skillet back in the oven. Bake until the onions are very tender and the filling is hot, about 20mins. Serve with some of the pan juices spooned over the onions.





19 comments:

  1. I think butchers are happy because as they're chopping meat with giant cleavers and feeding parts through the mincer, they're imagining it's their worst enemies, or perhaps whichever politician is currently out of favour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could be right, River. I'll ask that question of my butcher here (who is lots of fun to deal with) next time I see him - later this week probably. He makes the best sausages, and I've told him so. The praise went to his head! :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  2. It's nice to remember good people from the past - people like Dougie. I wonder what happened to him after you moved on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know, Yorkie. I guess, though, by now Dougie would have passed away. He'd be in his 90s now, if he was still alive. He was a great fellow. One with no airs or graces...a straight-shooter right down the line. I had a lot of time for Dougie Robinson. And, I wasn't alone. He was well-liked.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  3. Anonymous2:54 AM

    Well, I didn't know you had a green grocery come health food shop. I don't know how any butcher survives now against supermarkets, but some do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Andrew...I sold my shop just before I headed up to manage the resort on Hinchinbrook Island. I loved that little shop...it was my baby. I did a lot of cooking in the shop, too. Cakes, biscuits, soups, salads, dips...I roasted and boiled peanuts for sale...I was hands on with little or no time to spare...but I loved it all. :)

      The butchery in our local IGA here on the hill is the one I deal with...and he and his off-siders are great. Their meat is good. Our graziers are having a tough time of it...and that flows through to our butchers...and so on. Times are tough for those on the land...and those they supply.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
    2. I liked the Brussels sprouts recipe. I don't know why so many turn their nose up at Brussels sprouts. I love them.

      We all know at least one person like your kind and gentle Dougie. And if we are really lucky, we know two or three.

      Delete
    3. I like Brussels sprouts, too. And don't understand why people turn their nose up at them, but they do. Actually, I like all vegetables.

      Here where I live the people are, in the majority, friendly and smiling, which is great. We all enjoy a village-like atmosphere...not the big city hustle and bustle...and that makes a huge difference, too, I think. I prefer the smaller regional areas to city living.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  4. Dougie was the way that most people should be, kind, smiling and generous of spirit. You were lucky to call him friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, Arleen...life is much more pleasant for the bearer of smiles and goodwell, and for the recipients. There should be more of it! Spread the smiles around far and wide.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  5. what lovely views and those salads yummy, I have never made stuffed onions. I may have to try that, dh won't eat a whole onion but I will, lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda...I love roasted onions...and when roasting other vegetables when preparing a roast meal they are part of the fare.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  6. I would love to come there and go to Sunshine Beach - it looks so beautiful. Then you could cook up some of those recipes. Wouldn't that be a wonderful vacation for me? LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sandie! No! No! Cooking...we'll eat at the various great restaurants in Noosa and Sunshine Beach...and there are many excellent ones! It is a beautiful area...one that will always be dear to my heart.

      Thanks for coming by! I'll let you know when I win the Lotto and I'll send you your air fare! :)

      Delete
  7. So many wonderful stories you tell, thank you for sharing memories of your friend Dougie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, messymimi...I'm glad you enjoy my ramblings. Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  8. It's brussels sprouts season now, and this recipe you gave sounds like one to remember for a special birthday of my sister in law. I think she'll like it. Funnily enough I was just humming "Heard it on the grapevine". Dougie sounds delightful and generous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jenny. That's a great old song. They don't make music these days like the once did...in my opinion, anyway. :)

      Dougie was a lovely fellow. He didn't suffer fools...looked you straight in the eye...and he was a hard-worker.

      Thanks for coming by...I hope you enjoy the Brussels sprouts. I bought a couple of bunches of fresh asparagus when I was at the supermarket this morning.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  9. You do share some great stories and memories.
    I am now humming 'Heard it through the grapevine'

    Love roasted vegetables, great recipes :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete