Sunday, October 27, 2019

OH! WHAT A NIGHT! CHAPTER TWO.....



                                                  The Polish Place Video



“Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.”  

I feel it’s fitting to begin what I wish to express herein with this quote by John Quincy Adams who, from 1825 to 1829, was the sixth president of the United States. His insightful passage means as much today as it did when first spoken.  The words certainly apply to an extraordinary couple – respected members of our mountain family – Phil and Ania Sowter.

Being the hermit, by choice, I am, very rarely do I venture out after sundown.  By the way, in case you’re wondering, I’m not a werewolf. 

For clarification, if precision is required, I wander out and about in the daylight hours only when necessity demands or, most importantly, after my two furry roomies have given me a nudge (kick) while pointing to their food bowls. 

However, late afternoon on Tuesday 22nd October, I broke my habit, and changed into a different habit.  I dug out my glad-rags; donned my glad-rags, and was glad I did. 
My destination was The Polish Place...to attend the official opening of the new-constructed premises. 

A few days earlier I’d received an unexpected surprise.  All surprises are unexpected, I know, unless someone has let the cat out of the bag beforehand, and you have to pretend stupefaction.  I wasn’t forewarned about this surprise...out of the blue it came... 

An invitation to attend the official opening of the newly-constructed restaurant...The Polish Place...was extended to me. 
  
I felt honoured to have been invited to partake in the special event.  Not knowing the owners, or any members of their family, and having only once patronised the original restaurant for lunch about 14 years ago - give or take - my feeling of surprise was not surprising.

My reaction was noted by the young woman who telephoned me to extend the invitation.  When I asked why I was an invitee, she told me the owners, Phil and Ania Sowter had been moved by, and very appreciative of the article I’d written earlier this year about the fire, the re-building of the establishment – “The phoenix rising...”...(See Chapter One herein....)

I’d not met the owners until last Tuesday evening/late afternoon. 

The interior of the restaurant, the large outside, tiled area and the expansive deck were filled with invited guests, including Greg Christensen, the Scenic Rim mayor (I mix with royalty, but keep that part of my life to myself).  The majority of faces I didn’t recognise.

As I entered the main restaurant area a smiling Ania Sowter greeted me, by name, with much warmth, a kiss on the cheek, and a lingering hug.  I reciprocated, naturally. 

Ania reiterated what Johanna, the lass who had originally phoned me, had said. Ania told me she and her husband had been overcome by, and appreciative of my article that had appeared in the local weekly rag, the “Tamborine Times”.  The words I’d written – the emotions expressed - were the reason I received the invitation to the opening.  

She and I had tears in our eyes as we spoke....and as if that wasn’t enough...to my surprise...more was in-store....

With her arm still around my waist, Ania then turned and pointed to wide expanse of a wall in the central dining-cocktail bar area.  The wall and fireplace ahead are the first things seen as one enters that area. 

Upon the wall, above and around the fireplace is a large, colourful painting/mural depicting a phoenix rising from the ashes.  It’s quite a magnificent artwork done by a dedicated regular visitor to the restaurant and the adjoining accommodation chalets. 

Ania said she and Phil commissioned the artist to do the painting...inspired by my article.   (See the youtube video link below...which includes the painting to which I refer....)

My eyes again filled with tears that threatened to overflow. I was overcome by her unexpected revelation.  I am a big sook. I never back away from admitting I am a softie.

The painting was something I’d not at all expected...not in a million years!   How on earth would I expect something like that?   

I had to check my emotions before I completely burst into tears making a total idiot of myself in front of someone I’d only just met for the first time!!!! 

What a stunning, colourful painting it is...and what a wonderful surprise for me it was.  I’m still overcome my article inspired something so beautiful.  I doubt I’ll ever get over this feeling... to be honest, I don’t want to!  It’s not often...if ever...something like that happens...to me, anyway.


 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlcCUlav114      

(This video, which goes for about 14 minutes, is of the new premises. About four minutes into the video...the phoenix rising painting is displayed....and then again a couple more times further along in the video.)


The brand new restaurant is magnificent in every way...from the delicious food on offer; to the vast array of beverages to satisfy discerning tastes; an unlimited variety of vodkas....to the unreserved, genuine hospitality shown to guests. 

I give a special shout-out to Johanna...a young woman who is lovely in every way possible.  She and I chatted at length.  When it came time for me to depart, she walked me to my car. It was easy to see why she is in the hospitality industry.

I didn’t catch the names of all the staff present...but each and everyone were worthy, pleasant, efficient young men and women.  Any establishment would be proud to have them on board.

The devastating fire that would have, understandably, crushed the spirits of many others didn’t stand a chance against the indomitable wills of Phil and Ania Sowter, the gracious, welcoming hosts of The Polish Place.  

Each time I drove past the construction of the new premises my heart soared to the heights, higher than an eagle soars. How could one not be affected and inspired by Phil and Ania’s strength of purpose? 

Heartfelt, good-humoured speeches were given in front of a panoramic backdrop made up of the western valley below and beyond.

The splendid scene was further enhanced, not only by the setting sun, but also by the presence of five well-behaved kookaburras and a courteous butcher bird.  Quietly, each listened intently while perched on the limbs of a tall, stately dead tree silhouetted majestically against the stunning background.  The opening wasn’t solely for humans, you see. 

Two sociable dachshunds hoping to score a pierogi or two mingled with the guests. A beautiful ginger and white cat lorded over proceedings from a waist-high perch in the hallway leading to the bar/dining area, keeping tabs on the dogs’ manners. The puss allowed me to pat him/her on my way out...and even licked my hand.  Boy! I had to explain that to my two furry mates when I arrived home!

During the course of the event, I met the artist who created the painting...Peter...I didn’t catch his surname.  Apparently, he has known Ania for over 40 years...from before Phil and Ania first met...down in Adelaide, shortly after Ania arrived from Poland, and prior to their move to this mountain greenery 31 or so years ago. 

Peter, I was told, did the impressive large lead-light windows that were much-admired features in the original building.  As Peter and I chatted after we’d been introduced, he told me he lives in Sydney, but one weekend a month...every month...he and his dog drive north from Sydney to Mount Tamborine to spend a few days at The Polish Place...staying in one of the nearby chalets.   I don’t think he and his dog take turns in driving!

There was a large crowd in attendance at the official opening.  The Sowters, and their establishment...the restaurant...and the accommodation cabins...are very popular.  From what I learned by meeting them on Tuesday, they are quite wonderful people.  Ania is a ball of happy, lively energy. I feel honoured to have been invited to the official opening.   

I phoned Ania the following day to thank her and Phil for the invitation.  She said we must get together over coffee...and we must.

I'm glad Phil and Ania invited me to the opening of their newly-constructed restaurant and home – The Polish Place.  I wish them every success under the rising and setting sun.  I have no doubts whatsoever they will continue to achieve their dreams. 

Deservedly, Phil, Ania, their family, their establishment, and their staff are admired and respected by hordes of folk...locally, and from afar. 

It’s a lay-down misère Phil and Ania’s dreams will come into fruition.  

Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve...


Pierogi:  Dough: In a large bowl, mix 1-1/2c plain flour, 1c sour cream, 1 large egg, and 1 large yolk, beaten, 1/2tsp salt and 4tbs melted butter together until just combined. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead a few times until dough is pulled together. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rest at room temperature while mixes the filling. Start to boil a large pot of water. While water is coming to a boil, brown 1-1/2 sliced onions in a pan with ½tbs butter. Continue to brown until onions are completely caramelized; remove from heat. When water has come to a boil, add 375g potatoes, skins on; boil 15-20 mins or until soft. Drain, and then peel as soon as possible.Mash potatoes in a large bowl. Mix in the caramelized onions, 3tbs sour cream, 1-1/2tbs Dijon mustard, 2-1/2tbs butter, and 125g grated Gruyère; season to taste. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead a couple of times; then roll out until 1/8 of an inch thick. Cut into 20-25 rounds using a 3 ½ inch biscuit cutter or drinking glass. Place rounds on a floured baking pan. Scoop a flat tablespoon of filling onto half of each round and brush water on half of each round. Fold round over, sealing the edges and making sure no filling escapes or oozes out. Boil pierogi in boiling water for 5 minutes each. At this point, the pierogi can be stored in the refrigerator for 3 days or at room temperature for a couple of hours in a shallows baking dish and well coated in vegetable oil. Brown pierogi in butter, or bacon fat before serving; season to taste. Serve hot with sour crea.Garnish with crispy fried onions, bacon and chopped parsley, if desired.

Penne alla Vodka: Soak 1/2c raw cashews overnight. Drain; blend cashews with 1/2c water or vegetable stock and 430g crushed tomatoes until smooth. In a pan on med-heat, add 2tbs x-virgin olive oil; add 1/3c finely minced onion; sauté 2mins; add 10 finely minced garlic cloves and pinch of chilli flakes; cook 2 mins. Then add 1/2c vodka, another 430g canned crushed tomatoes, blended cashew mixture, 2tbs tomato paste, 1/2c finely chopped fresh basil and 1-1/2tsp dried oregano. Bring to low boil; lower to simmer; cook, uncovered, 15-20mins, until sauce thickens. Cook 454g penne pasta of choice per directions; drain. When sauce has cooked down, mix in 1/2c grated Parmesan; season to taste; serve sauce over pasta; sprinkle with extra herbs and/or parmesan.

Vodka-Infused Melon Balls: Using 1 small watermelon, 1 honeydew and 1 rockmelon - cut each melon in half; remove seeds. Scoop out melon balls with baller. Combine the balls in a bowl.  In a small bowl combine 1c vodka and 1-1/4c pear juice; add 4tbs coconut sugar or regular sugar. Add some mint and basil leaves to melon balls; pour the vodka mixture over the balls; stir. Cover; chill 1hr; stir; chill another hour. 


PS...Again, Blogger has a mind and determination of its own...I have no idea why the font size change.  I've tried to fix it...but to no avail......

23 comments:

  1. How absolutely lovely.
    And how wonderful that your heartfelt words touched them so deeply - and that they were able to show/tell you.
    Blogger and font size can be a beast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is wonderful, EC...I certainly wasn't expecting that when I attended. I was truly gobsmacked...overcome.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  2. How lovely the whole day sounds.
    On your dashboard page where you are typing the text, you can choose the font type and size at the beginning, then if you double click to enter a picture or start a new paragraph, the font will, or may, revert to the default option. Keep typing until you are finished, then highlight the text which is different and select again the font and size you wanted. It should change to match the first part of your text. I do this with the Sunday Selections, highlighting each line of text between photos in turn and changing it to the Arial font I prefer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely experience, River...that is for sure.

      I "copy-paste" what I've typed from Word Documents - where I've typed the original content. In my Word Documents...all the font is the same...and yet, sometimes, when posted part of the font...as shown in my post...is different to the rest. I've gone back in a few times to rectify it...but to no avail. No big deal...as long as it's all legible, that is what matters, I guess.

      Thanks for your info...and for coming by. :)

      Delete
  3. Anonymous2:11 AM

    Well, I became a little teary when reading this and there is not too much to say. Was it Cleopatra who said, feed me a vodka infused melon ball?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No...I think Cleopatra asked her aides to pass her a few gallons of milk so she could bathe, Andrew. :)

      Thanks for coming by...you can imagine how difficult it was for me to hold back the tears when I was told about the painting...and shown it! It was a magic moment, that is for sure. :)

      Delete
  4. Oh my gosh those are some really BEAUTIFUL photos! Thank you for sharing and the recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'Day, Sandie. You're welcome. Thanks for coming by... :)

      Delete
  5. Most of us will never know the reverberations from a kind word or words we say, but how wonderful thhatyou got the opportunity. I can imagine how terrific you felt. For just taking the time to write a letter in praise of this couples efforts, you inspired the best in them. Well done, Lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Arleen...It wasn't a letter...I write a weekly article for the local little "rag", and have been doing so for the past 17 years. The published article referenced is Chapter One as posted below....minus the accompanying photos and videos.

      Kind words and/or actions...particularly when not expected...lift one higher than high. :)

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  6. Wonderful, wonderful! If i ever get to your side of the world, i will visit The Polish Place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll meet you there, messymimi!

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  7. Sounds like wonderful karma. That's just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sandra...yes, I think it's amazing, too. I was overcome to say the least. I'd not expected what Ania told me...how on earth could I expect that?

      The new building is amazing...a credit to them.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  8. Nice to know that no good deed goes unrewarded. Well-deserved you and I hope you get out a "little" more often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Tabor...It was very nice to have been given credit that way. I was overcome.

      Oh! Never feat....I could go out more often if I wanted to,...I just have no great desire to do so. I enjoy the peace and quiet of my own company and that of my two furry mates. I never feel lonely. I spent years dealing with crowds...entertaining and feeding them...so my time to myself is precious and treasured. I'm not a social animal. :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  9. My - oh my! It looks such a lovely place. So many thoughtful touches and the view from that terrace is heavenly. How wonderful that a hermit cat woman - tapping out an article in the privacy of her home - can reach other people in that way. You articulated a feeling that was already in them and they embraced it. The phoenix picture is going to be there long after you have gone Lee. Good luck to The Polish Place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is quite a wonderful new building, Yorkie. The planning and rebuilding was a massive job from the foundations up. The building sits on the edge of the escarpment so it was not just a simple construction.

      I imagine the phoenix painting will be there much long after I'm gone, all going to plan. The original building had existed for 31 years....in 31 years I'll be long gone...or 106 years old!!!

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  10. How wonderful for you Lee, the birds and the sunset, just perfect, am loving the photos of the food. Going to watch the video now to see the phoenix.

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a lovely place all the views and the birds and the painting is just perfect; wonder how many birds the cat catches ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably all of them, Linda, but I imagine he's pretty well fed and doesn't bother too much about them. If he leapt of the deck railing he'd end up in the valley below! :)

      It was/is quite wonderful for me, Linda. I certainly didn't expect the invitation...let alone what I was told about the painting.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  12. I think one word sums this up …
    Wonderful :)

    Happy November Wishes

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...you are correct, Jan. :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete