Tuesday, September 15, 2020

DAYS OF FUTURE PASSED....WHO’S THE BOSS?








I growled at my TV yesterday, which, for me, is not a rarity... particularly these days when there is so much stupidity going on.  One example of thousands just in this country alone...that clown of a young woman in Victoria the other day who wanted her “15 minutes of fame”...and got it, by screaming and fighting against the police when they...within their rights to do so...asked her to show them her Driver’s License and Permit, and all the while she was filming her idiotic, brain-dead behaviour.

One thing which caused my growling yesterday was a segment about parents having difficulty in getting kids to eat what is placed before them.  Boy!  My grumbling gained speed and volume.

The blame was put on lack of time...yada yada, yada...working mothers; parents being “time poor” etc., etc., and on and on with the normal bullshit of the times!  

In far too many instances, it appears today’s kids make the rules, not the adults!

Throughout my late brother’s and my childhood our mother worked long hours...full-time.  There was no father in the picture.  My brother and I never had a father-figure in our lives.

Our mother was the main bread-winner.  As well fulfilling her regular job, which regularly extended from five days to six days a week, sometimes seven  days, also for a few years she rose before the crack of frosty, winter dawns to go bean-picking on farms in the Gympie region.   After finishing that back-breaking chore, she would return home, and ready herself for her other job, which was a barmaid in one of Gympie’s local pubs, working until closing time...10 pm.  She was a damned good barmaid, too...in the days when being a barmaid was, by some, looked down upon.  However, our mother always held her head high...and rightly so.

Our Nana, who helped raise us kids, worked part-time, during school hours.   Both our mother and grandmother were the disciplinarians...firm, but fair.   

My brother and I weren’t perfect...but we respected our elders.

Basic, tasty, healthy, home-cooked meals were our daily fare.  Dinner always consisted of the main, followed by a pudding/dessert. 

Table manners had been instilled from when we were wee children.  Elbows were not allowed on the table.  Talking with one's mouth full of food was a no-no.  Knives were not allowed to be put in our mouths.  Knives and forks, when we finished our meal were to be placed together, side by side, in the middle of the plate.  Upon finishing our meal we asked permission to leave the table.  And, the chair always had to be pushed back in, with the seat under the table.  (I growl, too, when I see the latter not being done in various televisions shows!)

Because of our mother’s busy work schedule, Nana prepared our meals. We kids were raised to eat what was put in front of us, no fuss, no ado, no tantrums, or sulking. Cajoling, threats, bribery, pleading etc., were never used. Nana and Mum didn’t kow-tow to us. 

If we even made an attempt at turning up our nose, we were told, firmly to eat our meal, or go without.  The latter wasn’t an option.  Mum and Nana weren't running a restaurant...no menu to choose from was put before us... but good food was.

My brother and I understood our place, at the table, and elsewhere. Acting “entitled” wasn’t condoned.

Nowadays it seems, kids have too much say; are given too much leeway (not my way)! 

Parents should hold the reins; take control; guide, not plead; teach by example, not wave a white napkin in surrender!

It is little wonder there are so many “poseurs” around these days...so much...too much... “Look at me!”, self-centred, self-righteous, selfish, bad behaviour on display.

The food placed before us when I was a kid was prepared by hand.  There were no processors, blenders, slow-cookers, electric mixers, thermo-cooks, electric juicers, etc., battling for cupboard space.   

The job was done with a couple of sharp knives, a wooden spoon, or two, a manual egg beater, a manual meat mincer, a rolling pin (has an electric rolling pin been invented yet? If not, I hereby patent the idea; it could become my claim to fame, and fortune), hand graters (one’s knuckles were regularly at risk), wire whisks, and so on. 

Measuring was done by teaspoon, dessertspoon, tablespoon, and by teacup. 

An ice chest, not a fridge, kept our food cold.  An “ice man” delivered the blocks of ice in hessian bags to the homes.

Under the house (which was actually a flat, not a house.  We lived in a two-bedroom, rented flat...there were three flats, in all), a wooden-frame, gauzed hanging safe was sometimes used in the summer months. 

A hanging safe was utilised for the cool, safe storage of food...not a safe place for hanging children who misbehaved, and wouldn’t eat their meals! 

The spare wooden spoon being waved in the air was warning enough for us to pull up our socks, pull our heads in, and toe the line!

Nana made the lightest sponges with a manual egg beater using fresh eggs laid by our bantams and chickens that roamed about in their rather large coop in the backyard. 

Fluffy scones were created by using a flat-bladed knife to cut/pull through the dough.

Food processors had not been invented. The thought of food processors had not yet been entertained, let alone processed.

Flaky shortcrust pastry was made by hand, using, of course, one’s finger tips to rub the cold butter into the flour, until it all ended up looking like breadcrumbs.

It’s time some of today’s parents regained control from their kids.  It’s time parents applied manual behavioural tuition.

Parents are supposed to be the adults; the ones giving guidance.

By “manual”, I don’t mean slapping or spanking.  A look; a tone of voice; a warning...should be enough, as far as I am concerned. They were as far as my brother and I were concerned when we were kids.   Again, I emphasise...we weren’t perfect, by any means...

Hands-on leadership and teaching is not old-fashioned.  Wisdom will never go out of fashion...I hope it won’t!

Often I think common sense has gone out of fashion.  I hope it hasn’t...if it has...I hope it makes a swift return...

Currant Scones: Preheat oven 230 C; line baking tray.  Sift 2c plain flour, 2tsp baking powder and pinch salt into bowl; rub in 6tbs cold butter, using fingertips. Add 1/4c currants and 2tbs caster sugar. Make a well in the centre of mixture; add 1 lightly-beaten egg.  Combine 1/4c sour cream and 1/4c milk; add almost all of the cream-milk; mix gently with a flat-bladed knife to a soft dough; add more liquid if necessary. Do not over-mix.  Turn dough onto lightly-floured surface; knead very briefly and lightly; folding back over itself and pressing down (about 20secs).  It should just lose its stickiness. Press or roll out to 2cm thickness; handling lightly. Use floured round cutter (or glass rim) to cut dough into circles; pile scraps together; press out; cut more pieces; do not re-knead). Place scones on prepared tray; brush with sour cream or egg; bake 10-15mins.

Blueberry-Almond Tart: Sift 225g plain flour into bowl; add 100g diced, cold butter; rub in butter using your fingertips only until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Gently stir in pinch of salt; then add 2-3tbs icy-cold water; mix to a firm dough. Knead dough briefly and gently on a floured surface. Wrap in cling film; chill while preparing filling. Heat oven, 190C. Beat 5g softened butter and 175g caster sugar until light and fluffy; stir in 175g ground almonds, 2 beaten eggs and a few drops almond extract. Stir in 1x125 punnet of blueberries; spoon into pastry case. Smooth top with back of metal spoon; then scatter over another 125g blueberries; press them in lightly. Bake 45-50mins until pastry is crisp and golden, and filling feels firm to touch. Cool tart 10mins in tin; then lift onto serving plate; dust with icing sugar; serve warm or at room temp.

 


 

 

 



28 comments:

  1. Two of the biggest problems today are television with all the snackfood advertising and fast food places. Time poor parents take advantage to get dinner-in-a-hurry and know the kids will eat it. Then there is the overabundance of baby foods. It used to be a few jars or cans of convenience with the majority of meals being a sieved or pureed version of whatever mum and dad were eating. Now the babies are practically raised on the stuff with no idea of what freshly cooked vegetables taste like, so of course they'll turn up their noses (or spit out the food) and now there are toddler foods, yoghurts, fruits, vegetables, entire meals in little pouches that they can suck through a spout with no need at all for chewing. It's Madness!!
    My kids always ate whatever I served up and only when they were adults did I find out one didn't like this, another didn't like that and only one of the four enjoyed baked beans. They did all like desserts though. Which we didn't have every night, it was more of a Sunday Special.
    I remember the manual egg beater and table mincer, our egg beater had red handles but was so much used the colour was almost completely worn off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree...it is madness, River.

      There is too much pandering to children going on nowadays...in my opinion. Adults have to take back control...in my opinion! :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  2. We also ate what was put in front of us or did without. Meals were homecooked and take away very, very rare (once or twice a year?). We ate together and when we finally got one we ate without the television. The radio did play during meals.
    Eating what was put in front of us is certainly the way I would have brought up children if I had any. However my father was completely inflexible about it. I refused to eat offal. I was happy to go without. One never to be forgotten series of meals the same piece of calves liver was put in front of me. I continued to refuse it. My mother finished it by telling my father firmly that it had gone off and that she had thrown it out. After that liver was not served unless I was out. That said if my father didn't like a meal it wasn't ever served. I thought then, and still think that he was unfair.
    I still have (and use) my egg beaters. And have no idea what colour the handles were.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,EC...I ate and like offal when I was a kid...I loved tripe in white sauce. And I loved lamb's fry and bacon....and its delicous gravy. I've gone off offal nowadays, and it's a long time since I've had any, of any variety.

      The radio always played in the background with us, too...and at 6.45 pm week day evenings "The Burtons of Banner Street" played! :)

      Now that I think about it..now that you brought up the subject....Mum and Nana were good in the way...if they didn't like something...they would still cook and serve it to us kids...to allow us to make up our own minds about whatever it was.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  3. Well I agree with you all - but I don't know if it that easy to take back control. Your foods look wonderful as usual! Love, sandie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sandie...the parents should never have lost control in the first place...and then it wouldn't be so hard! :)

      If I wasn't feeling so damn lazy, I should make some of those scones!!!

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
    2. I think it all began when women joined the workforce and there wasn't as much time at home for the usual long cooking times needed by some recipes.

      Delete
    3. My mother worked, as I've written previously, and often, all throughout my childhood and that of my older brother.

      And, Nana, worked part-time. I think too many these days take the quick and easy route. I do...but then I only have me to cater for...the only human, anyway! :)

      Delete
  4. Yes, we lived in different times, with different norms, and different choices. Every new generation is frowned upon by the older generation (I do my share) and that will repeat itself forever. My parents thought rock and roll would destroy the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, Arleen...true...but basic principle; basic rules of engagement should remain. Children are children...new to the world with many lessons to learn. Raising children is not an easy task, I realise that...but oft times, the adults make it more difficult for themselves when they hand over control to minors, and allow them to rule the roost.

      The Charleston was frowned upon by certain circles, too, in its day! And the Can Can blew others away! lol

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  5. My children got veggies as some of their first foods, and always were good about eating a large variety. Each of them was allowed a dislike or two (i can't stand mushrooms, after all, so why can't my children have that one food they despise?), but mostly they ate whatever i fixed.

    This is one reason i hate the "children's menu" at restaurants. Every one of them almost the same, food that is just junk. Order a regular meal for the children and split it between two or three of them and get them accustomed to eating regular, real meals like the grown-ups do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi messymimi...shortcuts taken, prove longer to rectify in the long run! Variety is the spice of life. :)

      In my day...fresh vegetables were the "thing". I doubt store-bought, prepared baby foods even existed back then.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  6. Those were the days, same days as I brought up. Same manners, if you didn't eat your meal it was served up for breakfast.
    When my sons came along they still made solid spoons then they became hollow, they often broke with a bit of a wrap around over the knuckles at dinner time :)
    Must say the grandchildren eat what is put in front of them without complaint, well here in this house, all 5 of them.
    Very different times we live in where children can say there piece..and do.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Margaret...and yet, we still had a lot of fun...learning where to draw the lines, and where the drawn lines were. :)

      Yes...some parents, not all, let the kids rule the roost...and there is where the trouble starts.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  7. EXCELLENT POSTֱ! I AGREE WITH EVERY WORD. UNFORTUNATELY, TODAY'S CHILDREN MAKE THE RULES, NOT THEIR PARENTS OR TEACHERS. AND THAT'S HOW THE WORLD LOOKS- MESSY, CONFUSING, UNHEALTHY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, DUTA...Yes... unfortunately, every day in various media outlets we see the results of bad parenting.

      Thanks for coming by...take care. :)

      Delete
  8. Great post! I wrote a lengthy comment last night but then lost my internet service and apparently the post too. Your description of meal time sounds very familiar to me as it was the same for us. We didn't have a lot growing up but my Mother always made sure we had manners and were well behaved. I raised my sons the same way and I am happy to say my son and his wife have done the same for my grandchildren. However, I do know the type of children you are talking about and it makes me sad to see them for they carry selfish habits into adulthood unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, Bonnie. Losing internet service when you're in the midst of doing something is very frustrating! Similar happened to me the other day...and toss in a few "nuisance/spam" phone calls the air has turned blue around here a few times! :)

      The rewards for being a firm, but fair parent are many...for the parent and for the child. Raising children is not an easy job, and not one to be tackled half-heartedly and carelessly.

      Take good care...I hope all is well with you and Tom. Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  9. My mom had a hand grinder that attached to the table or counter:)
    Your Nana and Mum sound like they were wonderful, hardworking women that loved their family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra...Yes...we had of those hand mincers, too. Boy, oh, boy! Times certainly have changed...as have kitchen appliances! lol

      Mum and Nana did their best, Sandra...life wasn't easy, but through it all they retained their sense of humour...and looked life straight in the eye. And, even though, there was little, or no money to spare, we two kids didn't miss out on much, really.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  10. Well I’m back again to try and comment- hopefully it will go through this time:)
    It sounds like we all were raised in a similar manner Lee. As someone else mentioned, things change with each generation but I always thought good food with a few little treats thrown in was the way we should have been fed.
    I laughed (silently) once when a grandson played up one meal time and The Golfer mentioned ‘getting it for breakfast’, the little lad turned round and said, my dad told me that’s what you’d say’. Some things do get remembered:)

    Oh and I finished Voss today. An interesting, simple but complicated story, very wordy and ‘deep’. As you predicted one I enjoyed. Thanks for the recommendation. And don’t get to zealous or you’ll end up amputating something necessary and essential with your newfangled toy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha, re my "newfangled toy"! So far so good...hang on...let me count! :)

      Good manners, respect and discipline hopefully will never become old-fashioned in the raising of children.

      Oh! Yes! Kids do have good memories...when it suits! lol

      Take care, Cathy...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  11. The blueberry almond tarts sound soooo good!
    Have a wondrous weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you have a wonderful weekend, too, Sandra...and I hope the weekend joys continue the week through. Take good care. :)

      Delete
  12. Growing up in a large family my mother had no time for individual tastes, we all ate the same, went without if we still couldn't stomach it for breakfast the next day. My grandchildren don't believe me when I tell them that! But they don't put it to the test when they are eating at my place. They know the rules! I think a lot of the problem these days is the lack of rules and boundaries. Really enjoyed your post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. INSTEAD OF GETTING A LOAN,, I GOT SOMETHING NEW
    Get $5,500 USD every day, for six months!

    See how it works

    Do you know you can hack into any ATM machine with a hacked ATM card??
    Make up you mind before applying, straight deal...

    Order for a blank ATM card now and get millions within a week!: contact us
    via email address::{Universalcardshackers@gmail.com}

    We have specially programmed ATM cards that can be use to hack ATM
    machines, the ATM cards can be used to withdraw at the ATM or swipe, at
    stores and POS. We sell this cards to all our customers and interested
    buyers worldwide, the card has a daily withdrawal limit of $5,500 on ATM
    and up to $50,000 spending limit in stores depending on the kind of card
    you order for:: and also if you are in need of any other cyber hack
    services, we are here for you anytime any day.

    Here is our price lists for the ATM CARDS:

    Cards that withdraw $5,500 per day costs $200 USD
    Cards that withdraw $10,000 per day costs $850 USD
    Cards that withdraw $35,000 per day costs $2,200 USD
    Cards that withdraw $50,000 per day costs $5,500 USD
    Cards that withdraw $100,000 per day costs $8,500 USD

    make up your mind before applying, straight deal!!!

    The price include shipping fees and charges, order now: contact us via
    email address:::::: {Universalcardshackers@gmail.com}
    Whatsapp:::::+31687835881
    ®

    ReplyDelete
  14. It was the blueberry almond tart which caught my eye! Delicious.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  15. Get BLANK ATM Programmed Card and cash money directly in any ATM Machine around you. There is no risk of being caught, because the card has been programmed in such a way that it's not traceable, it also has a technique that makes it impossible for the CCTV to detect you. Now email us today at our E-mail address at: jimleehacker07@gmail.com or Whats App: +1 (503) 278-0569 for you to get your own Programmed Card today

    ReplyDelete