Saturday, November 07, 2020

MULLING THINGS OVER...A CONSTANT PASTIME LATELY!

 







 
Over the past few weeks...and more particularly from 28th October through until 6th November, I was doing a lot of stewing and mulling!  I should have made some mulledwine to ease my stress, anxiety, frustration and anger!   

For a period of 10 days as described in the dates mentioned above, I was without a phone connection.  I experienced intermittent internet connection, followed by 36 or so hours of no internet whatsoever. To top things off, I had no access to my Telstra TV...streaming services.   Services I pay for...and services I was not receiving.  I've been a Telstra customer since before the Last Supper, and I always pay my account before the emailed account arrives in my mailbox.  I always pay my bills...before the due dates!  Old habits are hard to break!

I do not have a mobile/cell phone.  I do not want, and have no need for a mobile phone. I have no desire to be talking on a phone when wandering up and down the aisles of the supermarket, or when I'm driving.  Landline suits me just fine, thank you very much!

In this humble little cabin I rent mobile phone reception is such that to take or make phone calls I would have to go outside to do either.  With my problematic hips...my mobility problems...having to do so is not convenient, nor is it comfortable.

What is the point having a communication’s company if you’re unable to communicate with them? 

And when one does manage, after hours of waiting in a queue, one ends up talking to someone in India and/or the Philippines who has little command of the English spoken and/or written word!!!

Eventually, on Friday afternoon, 6th November, a technician arrived! Glory be!  Glory days!!!!!!

On Friday, 30th October I had been informed by Telstra, in India, that a technician would arrive on 9th November!   I was also informed Telstra would send me an “interim mobile phone”....to use in the interim...and it would be delivered to me on Monday, 2nd November.  I’m still waiting......Apparently, it is an immobile, interim mobile....

To make the call on 30th October I imposed upon the hospitality of neighbours, and I used their phone to TRY to talk with someone from Telstra.  It was a chore that took me over three hours, after I’d spent the same amount of time the previous day on the business phone of our local newsagency, waiting in a queue.  I waited and waited...to no avail.  Finally, I waved a white flag of surrender.  I couldn’t tie up their business phone any longer!  I didn’t want to impose further upon their goodwill and generosity.

Without my two furry mates...my two beloved best friends...I would have completely lost it!!!

There is a lot more to this story...but enough is enough already......it has exhausted me, and I am sure my telling of it, even if only part of it, is exhausting you....

 

However, now that I have begun to regain some of my sanity, on a lighter note to what I’ve been mulling over...yanking my hair out over (I’ve two strands left. I’ve no need to visit a hairdresser)...I shan’t burden you further with my burdens. 

As it is, I’ve already been a big enough nuisance to others. Now they run and hide when they see me coming.  It’s time to lighten the load.  I wonder if a visit to the dump will help!

Every time I hear Paul McCartney & Wings' “Mull of Kintyre” a wide smile spreads across my face, and a fond memory floods my mind. 

Upon hearing the melody I’m always reminded of a highly enjoyable evening in the early 80s when my then husband, now late ex-husband, Randall and I were entertaining two guests for dinner at our home in Sunshine Beach, which I’m sure you all know, is on the southern side of the Noosa National Park, up on the Sunshine Coast. 

Our house, which we were in the midst of renovating at the time, sat high on the secondary dune line.  Lush vegetation covered the north-eastern slope to the street below.  From our kitchen window, our open-plan dining/living area, and from the wide timber deck that ran the width of the house, the view to the never motionless Pacific Ocean was always intoxicatingly inviting.

One of our dinner guests on that particular mid-week evening was a local solicitor.  His partner in crime was the head honcho of a Sunshine Coast property development company.  Naturally, music played throughout the evening.  Music held a special role in our lives at all times.  Our record and tape collection was vast and varied.

When the pipers of “Mull of Kintyre” burst forth, accompanied by McCartney belting out the tune, up went the volume.  Out on the deck the four of us joined in.  No kilts were necessary.  We swayed and sang along with the wonderful piece of music...quite loudly we were to discover.  After all, we had to make ourselves heard above the bag pipes!   

Having unconsciously floated away from Sunshine Beach, we’d become lost in the south-western tip of Scotland’s Kintyre Peninsula.  If we’d thought to look, it would’ve been the Antrim coast of Northern Ireland we could see, not the Sunshine Beach headland. 

Of course, being right into the swing of things, we replayed the song over and over....and continued singing along, over and over...

Unexpectedly, to our surprise, we discovered an uninvited stranger dressed in blue standing at the top of our interior staircase! 

A cranky old bloke from two doors further along the street didn’t like our singing, so he’d called the cops.  I admit we weren’t any threat to the Tabernacle Choir or to Paul McCartney & Wings, but we weren’t that bad! 

With a grin from ear to ear, the cop told us he quite liked our rendition.  He also told us he had knocked on our front door, on the lower level, and had yelled out to us.  Of course, we didn’t hear him over the music blasting out from our stereo, or over our joyful singing!

Laughing, the cop told us to “keep it down a bit!” 

We offered him a Scotch, but he politely declined; went back down the stairs; exited our home, and went on his merry way...not made merrier by ingesting any Scotch whisky, by the way. 

To my surprise, a few weeks ago I heard, and saw, a lone piper playing “Mull of Kintyre” as he strolled along the road out the front of this property...the road that runs along the top of this plateau upon which I live. 

I smiled, as the happy memory of the night in Sunshine Beach flooded my mind.

 

Dundee Cake: Cut 350g dried dates and 200g prunes into 1cm pieces. Combine dates, prunes, 300g raisins, 200g sultanas and 250ml whisky in bowl. Cover; set aside, stirring occasionally, 4hrs to macerate.  Preheat oven 160C. Line base and side of round 22cm cake pan with 3 layers of non-stick baking paper; allow reach 5cm above edge of pan. Beat 250g room-temp butter, 200g firmly packed dark brown sugar, 60ml treacle and 1tsp finely grated orange rind until pale and creamy. Add 4 eggs, 1 at a time; beat well after each addition. Add 375g plain flour, 1tbs cardamom, 3tsp cinnamon, and1-1/2tsp nutmeg. Fold to combine. Stir in fruit mixture and 100g toasted, slivered almonds. Spoon mixture into pan; smooth surface. Tap pan on bench top to settle mixture. Arrange 120g whole blanched almonds on top. Wrap outside of pan with 3 layers of newspaper, rising slightly higher than the baking paper. Secure with kitchen string. Bake...covering with foil if necessary to prevent over-browning... for 2-3/4 to 3 hrs, or until a skewer inserted into centre comes out clean. Remove from oven; brush with 2tbs extra whisky. Set aside in pan to cool completely.

Scotch Marmalade Bread & Butter Pudding: Butter 8 crust-less bread slices on both sides; liberally spread chunky orange marmalade on 4 of the slices. Place the other slices on top to make marmalade sandwiches. Put sandwiches into a large baking dish in rows. Heat oven 160C. Beat 300ml full-fat milk, 250ml double cream, 3 large eggs, vanilla, 4tbs golden caster sugar and 1tbs whisky together until smooth consistency; pour over the sandwiches. Leave to soak for 30mins. Pop the dish into oven; bake 45-60mins until the bread starts to break through the custardy top. Serve warm with double cream, or vanilla ice cream.

Mulled Wine: In large saucepan combine, 750ml bottle of dry red wine (Cabernet Sauvignon, Shiraz or Merlot), 1 orange, sliced into rounds (peeled if you prefer a less bitter drink), 8 whole cloves, 2 cinnamon sticks, 2 star anise, 2tbs sugar, honey or maple syrup (to taste) and 1/4c brandy (optional...or your favourite liqueur). Heat over med-high heat until just barely reaches a simmer. Avoid letting it bubble.   You don’t want to boil off the alcohol.  Reduce heat to low; cover; simmer at least 15mins...or up to 2 or 3 hours....being careful not to let it bubble or boil.  Strain using fine mesh strainer; remove and discard orange slices and spices.  Taste and add extra sweetener, if needed.  Serve warm, topped with favourite garnishes...such as orange slices, cinnamon sticks, star anise...mull it over...you’ve come up with something that suits your taste!

 

 



33 comments:

  1. I am sorry for your frustrations and glad that you have your internet and phone back again. Long may it last.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, EC. It was a very frustrating time...and that is putting it mildly...very mildly.

      It is difficult being alone, too...with no family, near or afar...trying to handle all the mess caused by Telstra!

      If things have to be changed, one would hope they are changed for the better...but I have my doubts....

      Thanks for coming by...take care :)

      Delete
    2. This can be helpful...Before I began Doctor Aziba natural penis enlargement Product I measured 4 Inches in erect length, and 3 inches in erect girth. While flaccid I measured 3.4 Inches long. I began using his product, slightly skeptical I admit, and just 2 weeks later I was very happy with my progress. I measured 7.5 inches erect length and 6.5 inches erect girth, and 5.5 inches flaccid length. I was actually quite shocked at the huge gains I’d had, and continued using the product regularly, sticking to the usage schedule rigorously. After about 2-3 weeks I am 8.2 Inches in erect length and 8.1 Inches in erect girth. I am also 7.2 inches long while flaccid. This has had a huge impact on my life, not only has my sex life improved greatly, I feel much more confident and proud. Dr Aziba Natural Penis Enlargement works! and you can as well reach out to him on any of these cure for ALS, HPV, HSV, HIV, HERPES, Virginal Infection, Heart Burn, Cancer etc... You can Get in Contact with his via Email: (Priestazibasolutioncenter@gmail.com ) or WhatsApp him via contact +2348100368288 His the solution you've been searching !

      Delete
  2. That is a haunting song, well to me it is.
    Gosh, no internet or phone what a mess and trying to get someone to come and fix the problem when you don't have a phone to phone Telstra on - well that is difficult, thank goodness you could use someone else's phone.
    Hope all is well there now with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margaret...I love the song, too.

      It has been a very trying time, Margaret...it's easier to get blood out of a stone than it is getting sense out of Telstra when it's needed, that is for sure!

      I hate having to ask others for favours, but I had no other choice in this instance.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  3. You must get yourself a mobile phone in addition to the landline phone! I tell you this from experience.I also didn't want one, and also experienced being without connection.

    What a gorgeous-looking cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, DUTA...As I said in my post, mobile phones do not work in this cabin. The reception is hopeless. Even the technician who came the other day couldn't use his inside here, and had to go outside when he made calls.

      I have problematic hips...a mobility problem, and at all times I use a walking stick. To have to go outside to use a mobile phone is not very helpful for or to me...whether the weather is fine, or whether the weather is pouring with rain.

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  4. Hello Lee from a first-time visitor to your blog. I stopped in from Duta’s as it’s always interesting to read new to me blogs. What a time you have had without internet or phone service and your frustration at reaching “help” folks in far off countries who can’t communicate well in English is something so many of us have dealt with on more than one occasion. Your point about mobile service being of no use in your area is also understandable as we had the same issue when living in VA years ago with lots of “dead” zones and it even happens when in a car and passing through certain areas. Living alone does present challenges as you noted, but glad for those helpful neighbors. The recipes looked good, especially the last one for mulled wine. Great story about the enthusiastic singing to McCartney’s rendition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Beatrice...It is very nice to meet you...you will always be made welcome whenever you pay a visit! :)

      Yes...the folk up at the end of this dead-end lane were most helpful and hospitable when I reached out. I'm fairly reclusive...personal choice...and I keep to to myself pretty much...and I hate imposing upon others, but I had no other choice. U bought a bottle of good red wine (I know they like good wine), so I intend giving it to them later this week...in thanks.

      And thank you for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  5. Thankfully, I haven't had phone or internet problems for years. Shhh. I didn't say that out loud. You've reminded me of my first mobile phone. My daughter absolutely insisted that I have one when I was living in the bush outside Airlie Beach, I was to keep it in my bedroom at night as it was some distance from the landline and passage from one to the other was outside. After several months I discovered there was no reception in my bedroom but she slept well thinking I had it as a safety device. In the three years I had I never once used it! Hope all is back to normal for you now after all the drama. Love your Mull of Kintyre story. Strange how some people just can't stand to hear others enjoying themselves! Take care, Lee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Pauline. I didn't hear you mention what you didn't say out loud! :) I hope the status quo remains...you know...what you didn't say out loud! :)

      We didn't know the old bloke down the road. He didn't talk to the young fellows who rented the house between his and ours, either...or anyone else for that matter, we discovered. I think I only set eyes on him once or twice. We would have invited him in if he'd wanted to join us in a good time! He missed out on a good night...even the cop had fun! lol

      The bar down on the corner of the main street in Airlie Beach made and served the best Margaritas! Jimmy Buffett would have been very proud. Actually, there was a large photo of Jimmy on the wall behind the bar!

      Thanks for coming by...take care. :)

      Delete
  6. Ugh! How i hate when we have such problems. One time, the technician came out and found the nearby service box had a bird nest, an ant nest, a wasp nest, and a load of dirt in it, and had been invaded by squirrels at one point. He said he didn't know how we had any service at all. May you stay connected now.

    The singing indicent is great, unless you are the grumpy neighbor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi messymimi....If I don't stay connected I certainly won't stay sane!

      It's been a difficult, upsetting few weeks...

      Thanks for coming by...take care. :)

      Delete
  7. My favourite clip of one of my favourite songs. I always turn up the volume too. I'm glad you communications are finally sorted and hope your TV streaming is also back on track.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think we should bring call centres back to Australia, as someone else wrote in to our newspaper recently. Think of all the unemployed who could suddenly have jobs! And we'd get to speak to people who understand English and can speak English that we understand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're spot on, River, in what you say about bringing call centres back here to Australia. The current system is crazy, to say the least. I've been going out of my mind, and it's not been any fun, I can assure you! I still feel exhausted from all the b/s that I had to go through...had to deal with.

      And, thankfully, my streaming is back on track, too. And, today...the "interim mobile" phone arrived, but now my landline is connected/re-connected, I have to send the "interim mobile" back...but I have to wait a couple of weeks for the satchel to arrive in the post from Telsta to enable me to send it back to them!

      The saga is never ending!!

      Thanks for coming by... :)

      Delete
  9. Technical difficulties with electronic devices are the biggest headaches in the world. While I await the service techs I attempt to repair the problems myself. Rarely do I succeed but I stay busy until they get here. Yes, by then I am pulling out my hair. Lee, I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Annie...Yep...I kept trying to fix things myself, too...but I was only making myself more anxious and frustrated...and angry. I was doing myself no good. I felt exhausted...and fed-up!!

      It's supposed to be progress...but I'm finding it difficult to see it!

      Take good care, Annie...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  10. OMG. That sounds not only exhausting but pure hell.
    Loved the cop story:)
    someone has a birthday coming up......
    Have a great one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It was both hell and exhausting, Sandra. I'm still feeling the after effects from it all.

    That was a funny night...and the cop thought it was, too! :)

    Thanks for your good wishes, Sandra...take care...and thanks for coming by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday!
    Birthday wishes on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandra. I heard from dear, long-standing friends...and it was wonderful to catch up. :)

      Delete
  13. Happy Birthday Lee - and here's to a better year. For you, and for the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank, EC...people everywhere deserve better year ahead, that is for sure! Another one like this one is definitely not needed!

      Take good care. :)

      Delete
  14. I am so sorry to read about the problems you have been experiencing ...
    Thank goodness they seem to be ok now.

    Lovely recipes, especially the Scotch Marmalade Bread & Butter Pudding, it looks and sounds delicious.

    Take care, sending not only my good wishes but happy birthday wishes too :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan...it certainly has been a trying time....and the saga seems to have been endless. Now they're ringing me every day to tell me I'm reconnnected!!! And sending emails re with similar subject matter!! They are so frustrating!

      Thank you for your birthday wishes....take good care. :)

      Delete
  15. Well that's the pits. Hate it when my internet is down. these days I am lost without my computer. Phone is another thing, I'm not much of a talker on the phone but then I use mine as a small computer a lot of the time.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helsie. I'm not much of a talker on the phone, either. I'm not one who makes many calls, but I feel it is necessary for me to have access to a workable phone line...living alone etc., it is important. And, as I mentioned, a working landline phone is important because mobile reception in this humble little abode I rent is non-existent.

      I hate being without access to the internet. I'm always on it researching something or other. The internet has become an important part of my life.

      I hope all is well with you and your family...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  16. I LOVE that song!! I first heard it in 1985 in England. It was NOT a hit in America but I don't know why. Now, go and smooth those two strands of hair and behave yourself! ☺ You are so funny!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boy! You were late to the party, Kay. The wonderful song was released in 1977. Randall and I saw McCartney and Wings live in concert in Brisbane in the late 70s...it was, of course, a terrific concert.

      I did think of perming my two remaining strands of hair..but decided not to! :)

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  17. A number of companies in the UK have brought their telehelp services back into this country after huge backlashes against bad service and lack of understanding. The improvements have been huge and now one of the big selling points for a service is UK telecentres. Mind you that doesn't alwyas mean that you will get through any quicker.

    I loved your Mull of Kintyre story.

    I'm not sure why it's taken me so long to see this post. I shall have to check my dashboard reading list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Graham. I've had enough of this particular telecommunications company. So much stress, frustration and anxiety they have caused me...and still are doing so!! They really do have to get their act together. I'm not the only one who thinks this way. It's not good enough.

      Late of the blocks you were...but you made it! :)

      Take good care, Graham...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  18. This can be helpful...Before I began Doctor Aziba natural penis enlargement Product I measured 4 Inches in erect length, and 3 inches in erect girth. While flaccid I measured 3.4 Inches long. I began using his product, slightly skeptical I admit, and just 2 weeks later I was very happy with my progress. I measured 7.5 inches erect length and 6.5 inches erect girth, and 5.5 inches flaccid length. I was actually quite shocked at the huge gains I’d had, and continued using the product regularly, sticking to the usage schedule rigorously. After about 2-3 weeks I am 8.2 Inches in erect length and 8.1 Inches in erect girth. I am also 7.2 inches long while flaccid. This has had a huge impact on my life, not only has my sex life improved greatly, I feel much more confident and proud. Dr Aziba Natural Penis Enlargement works! and you can as well reach out to him on any of these cure for ALS, HPV, HSV, HIV, HERPES, Virginal Infection, Heart Burn, Cancer etc... You can Get in Contact with his via Email: (Priestazibasolutioncenter@gmail.com ) or WhatsApp him via contact +2348100368288 His the solution you've been searching !

    ReplyDelete