Saturday, February 19, 2022

WHILE ON THE SUBJECT OF OLD FRIENDS….

                                  
                                    Old Post Office in Gympie...constructed 1878-1890...Now heritage-listed

 

Gympie's Memorial Park

   

                                                               Laguna Bay, Noosa Heads





Not meaning to be a bore…once more I am on the subject of old friends; a subject which is never boring to me. Again, while watching Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton sing the emotive, “You Can’t Make Old Friends” on a tribute concert to the now late Rogers tears filled my eyes.  I’ll have to stop listening to the song, or, at least, buy a pallet load of tissues.

Once more, the song caused me to begin reflecting upon my old friends of old; friendships forged eons ago. One such friendship began when I was three and a half years old.  Much water has flowed under, around, and over a host of bridges since I was that old…or young!

Over the past couple of months, for various reasons, many of my old friends and I have been in regular, lengthy contact by phone, and extended emails.  

Sadly, someone I’ve known since he and I were kids passed away in January.  During our childhood he was a nearby neighbour.  Being a few years older than me our friendship didn’t begin until I was in my teens.  A couple of girlfriends and I spent our weekends during spring, summer and autumn at Noosa Heads.  It mattered not if the surf was up, or down, there we were on the beach and in the ocean at Laguna Bay, come rain, come shine.  My late brother was a Noosa Heads Surf Lifesaver. So, too, was my friend who passed away in January.  Having left Gympie to work in Brisbane, during the ball seasons he’d return to town to be my partner at the Friday night balls.  Both of us loved to dance.  We may not have been the Fred and Ginger of Gympie, but we were pretty close to it…in our minds; in a fun way, not in a conceited, boastful way. We loved to jive, too. There was no stopping us when the beat got going! 

His dancing off this mortal coil has been one reason for my many conversations with old friends lately. 

A school friend from primary school contacted me when she learned of his passing.  Often, after school I’d go to her home to play.  She lived up the street, around the corner and along a bit from where I lived. I’ve never forgotten the treats her mother served us during those after-school visits…Arrowroot biscuits, sprinkled with sugar, doused with milk…simple, but delicious.  

My childhood friend and I lost contact when I left school, an adventurous step I took before she did. Not having spoken since those days of yore, we certainly have had a lot of catching up to do. 

To our world-shattering surprise from our recent myriad conversations we discovered we’d been living in the same Brisbane suburbs in the late 60s and in the 70s; firstly, in the inner western suburb of Toowong, and then, in the neighbouring suburb of Torwood.  Each time we were living only a street or two apart.  The distances between our respective abodes were not much different to the distance between our homes when we were kids.  Until these past few weeks we’d not been aware we’d lived so close to each other in Brisbane during the years of our roaring 20s.  Life’s coincidences never cease to astound.  Life always has many surprises up its sleeve. Life’s sleeves must be miles and miles long!

I need some lozenges.  Not because I’ve got a sore throat, but because I’m hoarse from talking so much!  I might be an old nag, but that’s “hoarse” with an “a”…not horse, without an “a”!  I might have left high school before my rediscovered childhood friend who went on through to Senior level (Year 12 in today’s language), but I’ve not forgotten how to spell!

It is true…you can’t make old friends. Those were the days, my friends.  I agree with what a lady of my vintage said to me the other day in the supermarket’s car park – “I’m glad I was born when I was.” …

The Age of Innocence and Good Manners…a time when respect for others, no matter their station in life (railway stations included), and the property of others were respected.  

 Oops!  There goes my phone.  I don’t mean it has run off….it’s ringing once again!

 

Ginger-Honey Chicken: Heat 1tsp x-olive oil over med-heat. Add 2-1/2c small broccoli florets; cook 3-4 mins, or until just tender; add 1tbs minced fresh ginger and 1tsp minced garlic; cook 30secs; remove from pan; cover; keep warm. Wipe pan clean; turn heat to high; add 1tbs oil. Season 450g boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into 2cm pieces; add to pan in single layer, in batches, if needed. Cook 3-4mins per side until golden and cooked through. Add broccoli mix to pan; cook 3-4mins. In bowl, whisk 1/4c oyster sauce, 1/4c liquid chick stock, 1tsp sugar, 2tsp toasted sesame oil, 1tsp soy sauce and 2tsp cornflour. Pour over chicken and vegies; bring to a boil; cook 1-2mins, until sauce begins to thicken.

Chocolate Arrowroot Squares: Break 28 Arrowroot biscuits into pieces about the size of a postage stamp or smaller. In saucepan combine 5tbs cocoa, 7tbs sugar, 1/3c melted butter, 1tsp vanilla, pinch of salt and 3 beaten eggs. Place on med-low heat; cook, scraping bottom of pot constantly until mixture resembles soft scrambled eggs. Ensure eggs are cooked, but not dried out. Add broken Arrowroots; mix well to combine; press into base of greased or lined 9x9 square baking dish. Chill 20-25mins.  Chocolate middle layer: Combine 1/4c unsalted butter, 4tbs cocoa, 4tbs sugar, 3tbs plain flour, 3tbs boiling water, 3tbs milk and small pinch of salt; beat well until smooth and fluffy; spread evenly over base. If serving immediately top with sweetened whipped cream and choc shavings. 

 

 

 

 

22 comments:

  1. I didn't have friends close enough to be keeping in touch with since school years. more recently, I have kept in touch with a group of girls I worked with at Coles and we all go out for lunch or dinner a couple of times a year.
    I haven't seen the choc-arrowroot slice since I was very young. My mum used to make it with Arnott's Milk Coffee biscuits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi River...Growing up in a small town...as Gympie was during the years of my childhood...long-lasting friendships were forged...and I'm grateful for those friendships. Returning to Gympie in 1998 and living there again for the following four years after being away for 33 years was like going home in many ways...familiar faces...familiar places. And it was good to meet up again with old friends, in person, rather than by letter and/or phone.

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  2. Make new friends but keep the old,
    One is silver, the other gold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi messymimi...to be honest with you, I can't be bothered making new friends these days...not in the way or depth of my old friends. I know a lot of people. I will..do... chat, smile amd laugh with all and sundry, but I will never have or make friends again as good as my good old friends. :)

      Being the hermit I prefer to be these days, probably factors in it, too.

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  3. It's amazing to me the friends one can make on the internet, and never see them. Perhaps sometimes it's better that way. There are some, however, I would dearly love to see. Like many, I have moved far from my childhood homes, so friendships made then evaporated long ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David...I, too, have moved from my childhood home and town. I left Gympie, the town of my childhood in 1965 to work in Brisbane. Through the years since I've lived in different areas throughout this state of Queensland. Somehow, I managed to retain friendships from those very early days of my childhood and teenage years. Physical distances did not matter. I returned to Gympie in 1998 and lived there again for another four years before moving here to where I'm presently living.

      Thanks for coming by...take care. :)

      Delete
  4. I'm sorry to hear of your loss but also happy to hear you are catching up with old friends. My oldest friend I am still in contact with has been my friend for 40 years. Love her to bits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi KB...thank you. I have to admit, my oldest friend (the one from when I was 3-1/2 years old_...and I have known each other for just over 73 years! That's giving my age away! lol I'm 77, having turned 77 November, 2021. She, my friend, and I met in the April of 1948...and she came to my fourth birthday party in November, 1948. :)

      And, like you, I love my old friend to bits, too...and my feelings are reciprocated. We talk on the phone quite often...and at length. We enjoy lots of laughter...as we've always done.

      Thanks for coming by...take care. :)

      Delete
  5. So sorry for your loss. Heartfelt condolences.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandra. And thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  6. I have been scanning a box of old negatives for what seems like about 10 years but actually it is only about 4 weeks. It's such a slow business. But I have remembered all sorts of old friends whose young selves I have been looking at, and been in touch with some too. So interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Jenny. Our old friends..., in my opinion...are the ones who know us best...who understand us most of all. To know someone from childhood through teenage and adult years...to remain friend for that extensive length of time is something for which one should be grateful. In such lengthy friendships, few, if any, judgments are made. The understanding between each party is unique in itself...and to be appreciated...never abused.

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. Enjoy your positive negatives viewings. :)

      Delete
  7. So lucky you are to have the old friends and the memories to go with them. I had an old high school chum who had been writing me for years until he retired. I haven't heard from him in a couple years. Then at my high school class re-union I was surprised at how few people remembered me. Maybe I should have gone out dancing more. I didn't do those things back then.

    That was a sad, mournful piano piece that unfortunate little boy wrote. Life seems so unfair at times. But thanks for posting that.

    So did I see that you were a tennis player? I remember some of the players you mentioned as I was a fan of professional tennis when I was young. We even went to the U.S. Open back in the 70s. I haven't played tennis in years but I just signed up for a pickleball class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave...Kyan Pelling's story is heartbreaking, indeed. A lovely, talented young fellow who had his future unexpectedly, unfairly stolen from him. Very unfair and difficult to understand the reasons why.

      Growing up in a relatively small town, I guess lasting friendships were forged more than those of city-dwellers. Or perhaps, I'm just fortunate I still have those good folk in my life. Even if we do not see each other these days we keep in touch often by other means.

      I wasn't a tennis player, Dave. I played a few games for fun, and played them badly. The last time I played tennis was in 1984 or 1985 in the round robin event in Noosa...and then only for fun. And that was the first time I'd lifted a tennis racquet since the 60s!!! lol

      Thanks for coming by..take good care. I hope all the family are doing well. :)

      Delete
  8. I have one old friend whom I've known since we were 4 years old. After that friendships of over 50 years are getting fewer and fewer. On a different tack we are only a few months apart in age. We grew up in similar times if rather different cultures. There was no surfing anywhere near Liverpool. Mind you there is plenty of surfing here on Lewis these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Graham. Yep! We have far more years behind us than we do ahead of us.

      The ocean played a huge part in our lives, even from when I was a small child. As I've often described, my friends and I, during our teens, spent every weekend at the coast during spring, summer and autumn at Noosa Heads...enjoying all beach-side living had to offer. From 1979 to early 1986 my now late ex and I lived at Sunshine Beach, a neighboring beach to Noosa; and then later, at various times, I lived on a couple of islands surrounded by the ocean.

      I've not been down to the seashore for quite a while now, other than in my mind. :

      Take good care, Graham...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  9. Hi Lee, For some reason I stopped receiving your posts. Glad I've tracked you down again. Sorry to hear about your old school friend but glad you've caught up with others. We're the same age and grew up in the same time and place except my weekends in Noosa weren't as frequent as yours, we spent more time around Maroochydore and Mooloolaba. I give thanks that two of my friends from first grade at school are still my closest friends and two others from those days of surfing and sun are still dear friends. Nowadays we catch up on Bribie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, Pauline. I'm glad you're back! :)

      We started off by going to Mooloolaba...and Alex...but Noosa took over/ plus it was closer to Gympie. In those days to go to Mooloolaba, Alex and Marchoochydore there was no David Low Highway. It was a long route south in the very early 60s. When we haunted Mooloolaba we used to hitch up to Maroochydore to the record hops. Something I would never do in this day/night and age!

      We were good mates with Hayden Kenny back then, too. Hayden was a well-respected member of the Alexandra Headlands Surf Lifesaving Club. He lived in Maryborough back then, and used to hitch-hike back and forth every weekend. Sometimes he'd come with us as far as Gympie, and hitch the rest of the way to Maryborough. Hayden was a very nice fellow...and was the first ever Iron Man. m His girlfriend Fay, who later became his wife, lived in Maryborough, but she never went to the coast with him. After they married they moved to Alex, and Hayden had a surf shop across the road from the each.

      They were great times...and only late this afternoon I spoke on the phone to a friend who was one of my partners in crime during those halcyon days. She and I have known each other from primary school.

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. It's always good to "see" you. :)

      Delete
  10. Sadly, I have only a few "old" friends as in couple from high school. We live in different states which means we don't get together so phone calls are how we keep in touch and not on a regular basis. I have read that the older we get, the harder it is to "make" friends so it was nice to read about your enduring friendships, Lee. I do agree with David's comment about making friends online, even those we may never meet face-to-face. We had hoped to meet with a couple of blog friends on our recent road trip, but given the current state of you-know-what and precautions we mutually agreed to postpone, hopefully to another time. Condolences go out on the recent passing of your friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beatrice...to be honest with you, I'm not really interested in making new friends these days/years...not friends of such depth as my "old" friends. I know lots of people...I chat and smile with all and sundry, but these days I'm not a social animal...by choice...and am content being this way.

      My friends of old and I don't often get together these days...not physically...but we do keep in touch via phone and online. Even though we may not see each other often, or at all nowadays the friendships remain, as do the feelings and memories.

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)


      Delete
  11. Hi Lee, I read your comment on my blog post today. Sorry for the confusion and now you know my actual name is Dorothy and not Beatrice. Also, my husband is not Grenville, but Patrick. When we started the blog, we decided to use aliases, but in the years since, I have often included our actual names. I noticed you used Mary on your comment and wondered if that is your given name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahaha! No, Mary is not my given name....Lee is. I was just being silly...it comes naturally to me! :)

      Delete