Wednesday, February 02, 2022

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH ALREADY…GIVE ME A BREAK!

Dylan Alcott...Australian of the Year...2022

Special Ks...Aus Open Men's Double Final




                                    


 

I’m exhausted; bushed; worn out; knackered; tuckered; spent; weary; drained.  I dare not say “dog-tired” in fear of raising the ire and fur of my two furry mates. 

The cause all began on Boxing Day, and then continued through to the end of January. A few months of Sundays will be needed for me to recover.  The highs of winning and the lows of losing are exhausting for an old broad like me.  The ever-changing emotions allowed me little time to breathe. Becoming so engrossed in the action I often held my breath, forgetting to exhale.  Doing so can be very dangerous for one’s health.  Believe me when I tell you, a purple complexion isn’t a good look.

Of course, I’m referring to the cricket aka The Ashes, and the Australian Open.  

I fell in love with our Aussie cricketers…what a great bunch of blokes.  Each and every one did himself, the team, and our country proud.   Captain Pat Cummins, to name only one member of the Aussie cricket team, did a terrific job in his roles as captain and player. 

On the subject of making one’s self and country proud, there is no better example than 2022 Australian of the Year, Dylan Alcott. Dylan is a worthy recipient of the award, more worthy than some past recipients. Dylan is an intelligent, determined, intrepid, incredible human being.  The wheelchair tennis champ is a lovable larrikin.

Worthy of high praise, too, are his parents, who, unfalteringly resolute, guided their son to be the man he is today. They taught Dylan not to allow his disability hinder his Life’s journey. Lessons he’s obviously heeded.  I don’t care what anyone says or thinks about my use of the words, in my mind, Dylan Alcott is both a hero and a legend; a champion through and through, not only for his sporting achievements, but also for his work within his charitable organization, The Dylan Alcott Foundation.  His Foundation helps young Aussie with disabilities gain confidence, attain and fulfil their potential, achieve their dreams.  In Dylan, they have a wonderful role model. 

 https://dylanalcottfoundation.com.au/

Dylan deserves to be Australian of the Year; an award he respects and will honour long after 2022 is in the rear vision mirror. No matter what Dylan’s future has in store, there is no doubt he will make a lasting impression from whatever he does.

Humans like Dylan make me want to live forever so I can witness the growth of the youngsters they inspire. The younger generations within whom Dylan instills the desire to follow his lead…the desire to be…to be whatever they choose to be…will reap the benefits of achieving goals they once thought impossible to achieve.  I would love to follow the results of their determination to succeed in whatever field they choose.  Dylan Alcott makes this muddled-up world in which we dwell a far better place.  Thank you, Dylan Alcott.

And then there’s World No. 1 Ash, she’s true blue.  Fair dinkum, she is! Let’s shout it out from the rooftops. Ash Barty, a proud Aussie and Queenslander from just down the road, makes the game of tennis appear effortless, and if you’re as terrible a tennis player as I was, you know that’s not so. 

As an aside or two…I did compete in a Round Robin on Noosa’s Ken Rosewall courts…once only.. I lost. Also, in the early 70s I knew Wendy Turnbull.  Before she joined the professional circuit Wendy was a teller in the Bank of New South Wales, Fortitude Valley. Here’s another piece of useless trivia…when I was a kid, Pat Rafter’s mother, Jocelyn and her brother, Lloyd, lived up behind us in Gympie.

Each time the Special Ks stepped onto the court Nick and Thanassi made this year’s Australian Open fun and exciting. No other entertainment is needed when Nick Kyrgios appears.  He upsets some, but not me.  I believe there’s not a bad bone in his body. He has a heart of gold. Ebden and Purcell lost the match, but they’re not losers. To have an all-Aussie men’s doubles final, as well as an Aussie finalist/winner in the Women’s final was fantastic.

Last, but by no means least…there is my man Rafa. I almost had a nervous breakdown watching Rafael Nadal’s match against manic Medvedev.  I’m getting too old for such pressure.

I’m still in recuperation mode.   Boy! Did I let out a loud sigh of relief at the end of Rafael Nadal’s exceptional win!  I've been a huge fan of Rafael Nadal since the first time I saw him play way back when!  Rafa smiles, and my heart melts....

 I finally managed to drift off to sleep in the early hours of Monday 31st January a happy camper, only to wake-up to watch the three episodes of "Voice - Generations", which I found to be so heartwarming and inspirations.  What a wonderful concept! 

 I’ve just woken up to write this post.  Bye! Bye!  Now I’m off to catch some more shut-eye!

 


Special K Bars: Melt together 1c light corn syrup and 1c sugar. Turn off heat; add 1c Peanut Paste or Peanut Butter if the latter is what you call it. (It’s always been “Peanut Paste” to me…and shall remain so). Stir in 7c Special K cornflakes or Rice Krispies; plonk into lightly greased 9x13-in pan; press evenly and lightly with buttered fingers.  Melt together 1c choc chips 1c butterscotch chips and 1/2c butter. Spread over mixture; allow to cool before slicing into individual bars.

Special K Muffins: Heat oven 200C. Line a muffin tin with baking cups. Combine 2c crushed Special K, 1/2c raisins or cranberries and 1tsp vanilla; mix in 1-1/3rd cup of milk. Let mixture stand until the cereal is softened, about 5mins. Beat in 1 large egg and 1/4c vegetable oil with a fork. Add 3/8th cup plain flour, 3/8th cup ground oats, 1/2c brown sugar, 1tbs baking powder and 1/4tsp salt; stir until mixture is just moistened. Divide batter evenly between the muffin tins. Bake for 20 to 2 mins or until a toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean. Immediately remove the muffins to a rack to cool. Serve warm; store leftovers in an airtight container.

Honey Cornflake Slice: Preheat oven 180C.  Combine 1-1/2c cornflakes, 1-1/3rd cup rolled oats, 1-1/3rd cups desiccated coconut and 1/2tsp cinnamon. Melt together 125g butter and 1/2c honey; then pour this over the dry ingredients; mix well to combine.  Press into lined lamington tin; bake 15-20mins.  Remove from oven; cool completely.  Cut through middle and then into 20 bars.   

 

 


 



22 comments:

  1. It sounds like congratulations are in order for the excellent Australian sportsmen and sportswomen! (Am i supposed to say sportspersons? if so, let me know.)

    People like Dylan Alcott and our area's Dr. Brandy Duhon, the world's only veterinarian who has no hands, serve to remind the rest of us that we have no excuses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, messymimi...In my mind...in my opinion...you are not supposed to say "sportspersons". I'm no no way a "woke" fan, a "gender-neutral" fan; a "cancel-culture" fan, nor am I a politically-correct fan. I'm too old and set in my ways for all that b/s! :)

      As you say, the Aklcotts and Duhons of this world are to be held in high esteem, to be admired, and praised. Many of the idiot able-bodied people could learn a lot from their examples, that is for sure.

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  2. As you know, I don't watch sport apart from the bits on the news at night and that's the time I reserve for washing up the dishes, so I don't pay close attention. But I am glad most of it is over now so you can breathe easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi River...we each have our own likes and dislikes...in everything. Some of us like some sports...some of us don't enjoy watching any sports. I don't watch all sports, but enjoy the ones I choose to watch. I enjoy watching people striving to do their best. :)

      Being surrounded by gloom and doom every day lately...surrounded by so much hate, contradiction, disharmony, confusion, belittlement of others; being heartbroken over and over again hearing abiout harm being done to innocent children, I much prefer watching humans striving to achieve...extending their capabilities...humans being positive; striving to be better people...being inspirations to others..

      But, we have the individual right to choose what we want to watch and read, as it should be. :)

      Take good care, River...thanks for coming by.

      Thanks for coming by...take care. :)

      Delete
  3. You will be glad that the drama of the sporting world has come to its conclusion so that you can wind down and relax. Oh, but there's the Olympics coming up and I suspect that you will be watching those games too! Get ready for another round of competition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David...I will watch some of the Winter Olympics, of that there is no doubt. The skill and talent of some humans fascinates me...and hold me in awe of their abilities.

      Take care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  4. You re obviously a sports fan and rightly so of the athletes you mentioned in this post. While I was not familiar with their achievements, I did look them up after reading your post and their accolades are richly deserved and earned. Glad you will be able to relax a bit before the Winter Olympics start up.

    Thanks so much for the birthday well wishes too. I am enjoying a very nice day despite it being a rainy one, with several phone calls, text messages and blogger comments like your own.

    And as mentioned, I certainly will celebrate the entire year, because why not? And, also slow down so as not to catch up with you, my blogger friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Beatrice. I'm a fan of some sports...not all. Sports can be a welcome release...and relief...from all the on-going troubles in this world...from the hate, the prejudices, cruelty etc., etc. To be able to escape, if only briefly, does one good, I believe.

      You are mist welcome re your birthday wishes. I'm glad you are doing as told, and having a very nice day! :) (I remain four steps ahead of you...so you won't catch up! lol)

      Thanks for coming by, Beatrice...take good care. :)

      Delete
  5. Way to go Dylan! And Captain Pat and Ash.
    Those Special K bars look wondrous.
    YOU take good care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, Sandra. It won't be the last of Dylan...even though he has hung up his tennis racquet, he'll still be making a racket, keeping the rest of us entertained with his great sense of humour...and with the good work he will continue doing for the disabled.

      Thanks for coming by...and YOU take good care, too! :)

      Delete
  6. I'm sorry! I have no idea about Cricket...Aussie or otherwise...Buttttt!!! I DO know good recipes when I see them!!
    Thanks for handing them out!
    hughugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'Day, Donna...It's nice to hear from you. :)

      The Ashes cricket competition is always between the Aussie team and the English team. There is a lot of history about The Ashes...between our two countries.

      I hope all is well with you and your loved ones, and it continues being so. Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  7. cereal for the ages, never have cereal any longer, oat flakes used to be some of my favorite cereals and special K too, I never do watch any sports and dh doesn't either, so it works out, lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda...I don't eat cereal these days, either, other than once in a while some toasted muesli...once in a while.

      I don't watch a lot of sport...I pick and choose what I want to see. I usually includes the Tennis Grand Slams...such as the Aus Open, Wimbledon, US Open, and sometimes the French Open. I watched more of the The Ashes this year (the legendary annual cricket battle between Australia and England), than I've ever done in the past.

      I'm picking and choosing what Winter Olympic events I want to watch...I love the skating, to name one event. Fortunately, I only have myself to please about what I watch. Remy and Shama, my furry roomies happily go along with my choices! :)

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  8. I used to watch quite a lot of sport on the TV but don't any more.
    You have done well to follow the sport so far this year and of course now it's the Winter Olympics.

    Hope it's cooling down a little in your part of the world, we are in for a frosty night later!

    Take care, my good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan...I've been enjoying the Winter Olympics...years of dedication...committed to their individual sports is awe-inspiring. The athletes, some very young, leave me open-mouthed. I don't know how they do it! They are to be admired.

      They are all winners in my book...atching them achieve...doing their best....certainly better then hearing about murders and dead-beats breaking and entering.

      Fortunately, here where I live we've not had an overly-hot summer, thank goodness. A couple of hot and humid days tossed in, but nothing too extreme. The start of Autumn isn't far away. :)

      Thanks for coming by...and you, too, take good care. :)

      Delete
  9. I just can't get into the WO this time around! I've really tried...
    But thanks for the recipes!
    hughugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donna...I thoroughly enjoying the Winter Olympics...a welcome respite from all the b/s that is going on in this country, and throughout the rest of the world. The athletes are to be admired for their commitment...the desire to achieve the best out of themselves. They push themselves to the limits and beyond. They hold me in awe.

      I know they are not to everyone's liking, but I only have myself to please...and my two furry mates...and they are quite enjoying watching all the activity on the TV screen. :)

      Take good care...thanks for coming by.

      Delete
  10. I am not much of a sports fanatic but when you mention Rafael Nadal I have to wonder if I ever told you my brother-in-law caught one of Rafa's tennis balls at a match. Lots of celebration followed with photos and autograph, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! How great! I hope he still has the ball! If I was younger, I'd love to catch Rafa's eye! :)

      Thanks for coming by, Annie...take good care. :)

      Delete
  11. Watching sports can be quite the ride. I'm a rugby fan myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, KB...The dedication, the commitment of the athletes is beyond me...particularly, those I am presently watching who are competing in the Winter Olympics. Boy! Oh! Boy! They are incredible...and some are so young. They are to be commended.

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete