Wednesday, March 16, 2022

HAPPY ST. PATRICK’S DAY….

 


 


 


 

 

I’ll be off to Tipperary in the morning; although, hopefully not on this train:

“Incomprehensibly, the last coach of the train to Tipperary kept getting vandalised. Paddy, the porter came up with a bright idea. "Why don't we just leave the last coach off?"   

 

(Typifies the humour of the Irish, I dare to say!)

 



The Irish are a resilient mob! Not only are they able to take the mickey out of themselves, but they take little, if any, offence at being the brunt of the myriad jokes at their expense.

It’d be a dull old world without the Irish! Without the Irish, we’d be sadly lacking in jokes for one thing! Where would I be? My gene tree is a blend of Irish and Scottish – not denim as you may have thought!

In the early 1900s my paternal grandparents came to Australia from Lurgan, County Armagh, Northern Ireland. They settled in Rockhampton, central Queensland, where my father was born. My grandfather was Catholic and my grandmother had been raised Protestant.  She converted prior to their being married.  

 

My maternal ancestry is Scottish…Highlanders, and were Protestants. When we were kids my late brother, Graham and I attended Gympie’s Scots’ Church…aka Presbyterian Church.  We were raised by our mother and grandmother because our father and mother separated when I was a wee baby and my brother Graham only a couple of years older.



I’ve sorted through my mass collection of Celtic music; polished my dancing shoes to mirror sheen in readiness for a dose of “Riverdance” to get my heart a-pumping and feet a-tapping; spruced up my Donegal tweed jacket, and sent a text to my leprechaun mate.

And I’ve just remembered I have an LP of bagpipe music somewhere! Did you know the Irish invented the bagpipes, and then they gave them to the Scots as a joke? The Scots got the pipes, but haven’t gotten the joke, yet.

As for St. Patrick – it’s legendary that he chased the snakes out of Ireland, but what the Irish don’t tell us is that St. Pat was the only one who saw the snakes!!! I wonder what he’d been drinking! I’ll hazard a guess by saying too much Guinness or Bushmills! The tenacious Irish are a lyrical mob, poetic by nature, musical by instinct; inherently comical!

"Mulligan gets on a bus and asks the conductor how long the trip is between Limerick to Cork. "About 2 hours," says the conductor.

"Okay," says the Mulligan, "then how long is the trip between Cork to Limerick?"

The irate conductor answers gruffly, "It's still about 2 hours! Why'd ya think there'd be a difference?"

"Well," says Mulligan, "It's only a week between Christmas and New Year's, but it's a helluva long time between New Year's to Christmas!"


“Molly followed her husband to the pub.

Taking a sip of his pint of Guinness, she said, "How can you come here and drink that awful stuff?"

"See!!" Shamus cried, "And you always said I was out enjoying meself!"


If you’re lucky enough to be Irish – you’re lucky enough!

 May your troubles be as few and as far apart as my grandmother’s teeth!


Irish Stew: Grab some meat; some potatoes and lots of Guinness. Drink the stout; forget about the stew.

St. Patrick Day Guinness Cupcakes with Expresso Topping: Preheat oven to 175C. Fill two 12-count muffin pans with paper baking cups. In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine 1.c unsalted butter, 360ml Guinness and 1/2tsp vanilla. Stir occasionally until butter is melted. Pour into a large mixing bowl and set aside to cool for at least 10 minutes. In large bowl, whisk together 2c plain flour, 2c sugar, 3.4c cocoa powder, 1tsp salt and 1-1/4tsp baking soda. Using an electric mixer on medium speed, gradually combine with the Guinness mixture in three additions. Beat in 3/4c sour cream, then beat in 3 eggs, one by one. Pour the batter into the prepared muffin pans, filling each cup about three-quarters full. Bake for 22 to 28 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of a cupcake comes out clean. Leave in the pan to cool for 5 minutes; finish cooling on a wire rack. Frost when cooled completely. For frosting: In bowl, beat 3c icing sugar and 1/3c butter on low speed to combine. Dissolve 1-1/2tsp instant espresso coffee in 3tbs water; add to mixture; continue beating until frosting is smooth and creamy. If frosting is too thick, add a couple of drops of water at a time to reach desired consistency.

20 comments:

  1. Many thanks for the recipes.

    Happy St Patricks Day ...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome, Jan...Happy St. Patrick's Day to you, too.

      Take care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  2. The Irish are an amazing people.

    Thanks for the laugh, i'm still giggling over Christmas to New Year's and back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh! We all need a good old laugh at present...many of them, I reckon, messymimi. :)

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  3. I found Lurgan in my big old atlas. Love the jokes. If only the rest of the world could laugh and sing like the Irish, instead of being offended by little jokes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, River. Everyone is so damned "precious" nowadays...too easily offended over the tiniest, most harmless thing.

      More laughter and goodwill is needed....desperately.

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  4. Lurgan - Portadown feature strongly in both my parents’ ancestry, I’ve a Scottish line as well😊
    The Christmas/New Years joke is a new one to me…and I thought I’d heard them all!
    Take care Lee
    Happy St Pat’s Day to you and your couple of fluffy mates
    Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, there you go, Cathy! Our ancestors might have been neighbours way back when! :)

      I hope all is well with you and yours down your way...take good care...Happy St. Paddy's Day to you, too. Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  5. Happy St. Patrick's Day Lee. I almost forgot it was today.
    Big Irish descendant here, the Irish always tell a good story and their sense of humour is the same as mine, so lots of laughing at times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Margaret...more than half the time lately I never know what day it is!

      Happy St. Paddy's Day to you, too! :)

      Having a sense of humour is the best medicine, I do declare!

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  6. Being born in Liverpool was almost as good as being born in Ireland. Liverpool was half Irish, half Welsh, a quarter each of Scots, West Africans and Afro-Carribeans and Chinese. It was rumoured there were English but I never met one.

    My beloved Uncle Eric was born on St Pat's day. Not that you needed to know that but I thought I'd tell you anyway.

    I hope you enjoyed your nearly over St Pat's Day. I've still got most of it to come. As I'll be under a general anaesthetic for some of it wish me the luck of the Irish please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you all the luck of the Irish, and all the luck this Aussie can send to you, Graham. I wish you well, my friend. Thanks for coming by...I'll be checking in on you. :)

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. And the same back to you, David. I didn't come across any four-leafed clovers, nor did I see a rainbow with a pot of gold at the end of it! Damn it! Now I'll have to wait until next year! :)

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  8. Another fun post.
    Those cupcakes sound divine.
    My daughter was in color-guard in high school and they did "Riverdance" and I saw it performed live. Loved it.
    YOU take special care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Sandra. I still love "Riverdance"....I remember the first time I saw it, on TV...I was living and working in Cardwell in North Queensland at the time, and I was immediately smitten!

      Watching your daughter and her fellow young folk perform it would have been a wonderful experience.

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  9. What?? St Patrick was the only one who saw the snakes. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Annie...I wonder if he'd been on the"wacky weed"? lol

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  10. Aren't we all a bit Irish?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could be, Tabor, particularly on St. Patrick's Day! :)

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete