Tuesday, March 22, 2022

THE KINDNESS AND GOODNESS OF OTHERS…AND OF STRANGERS

                                    View to the west as I drive the 4km trip to my local supermarket...

Tamborine Mountain Hang Gliding...around the corner and along a bit from where I live

Spice of Life Cafe...on the corner opposite the Post Office and Tamborine Mountain Library

Eagle Heights Hotel-Resort where I was employed as chef/cook when I first came to the mountain

Eastern view to the Gold Coast in distance from grounds of the Eagle Heights Hotel

Bambi, Thumper and Friends...an acrylic painting I did a few years ago

                         



 

Persistently we are surrounded and engulfed by horrific actions perpetrated by evil-doers and megalomaniacs the world over. Every day within our own beloved country heinous crimes occur. A never-ending deluge of hatred, violence, hostility, prejudices, injustices, greed, horror, disrespect, natural disasters and destruction continue relentlessly, ad infinitum.  Sanity and order no longer prevail in our world. My question is...have they ever? 

Far too often pessimism overshadows optimism; positivity is smothered by negativity.  I hope and I wish optimism and positivity win out…sooner rather than later.  To some, criticism is easier than praise.  Whining becomes second nature.

Another question I frequently ask is…what is the secret to happiness?

Unfortunately, I don’t have the answer.

The company of my two furry best mates gives me happiness…much happiness.  Their non-judgmental love is a joyful constant in my life.  They do make sure I don’t hog too much space on “their” bed, though.  Over the years, to keep the peace, I’ve learned to give into their demands. After all, it is their bed. Being the dumb human I am it took me a long time to come to the realisation that was the case. Thankfully, the dilemma was solved; peace reigns.

They do nag me at times. To be honest, I do give back as good as I get.  

When I was a child many important lessons were taught to me by my mother and grandmother, three of which were to respect one’s own self, respect others, and the property of others.  My furry besties ensure I never forget, demanding my respect at all times.

Naturally, in this household mealtimes are communal affairs.  In fact, each time I venture into the kitchen my furry master and mistress believe it’s mealtime.  Maybe they think I’m operating a “McDonalds”, and I’m Ronald; or it’s an Aussie restaurant chain, “Red Rooster”.  They’ve never seen a live, crowing, cocky rooster of any colour, their preference being IGA’s bbq chickens.

A short while ago the kindness and goodness of others shone through and tapped me on the shoulder.  Correction…thumped me on my back, making me sit up and take notice.  Here on our mountain we are lucky to be surrounded by good people…kind people. 

For their kindness and goodwill I extended my gratitude…my thanks to Michelle and her emissary, Linda. Also, my thanks extended to Paula and Kathy for their generosity of spirit and deeds.  Out of the kindness of their hearts, without hesitation, these considerate people helped me out in a time of need. Unfailingly, Chris and Lee generously share their smiles and kindness.  I realise readers of this post have no idea who these people are…but that matters not…what matters is you know they are all good, kind-hearted folk.

Once more, the wise advice given to Thumper by his mother comes to mind; advice impressed upon him earlier by his father…”If you can’t say something nice, don’t say nothing (sic) at all!”  The sage counsel could continue with; “And, if you can’t do something nice for others, maybe it’s time to change your ways.”   

I may be a drip, but I’m not an expert, under pressure or otherwise.  However, I do believe our world…which is constantly swamped by heartache, loss, hate, violence, fear…would be a better place if each individual everywhere lived by the moral adage known as “Thumper’s Rule”.  Perhaps, if that was the case, the universe would be a better cosmos in which to live. A world where peace, order, love, respect, kindness and good prevailed…

We are surrounded by good, kind people.  Too often we lose sight of the fact.  One must ensure he or she is a member of such a worthy clan.  Being kind to others is being kind to one’s own self.  It’s a two-way street. Being respectful to others is being respectful to one’s own self.  Spreading and sharing happiness, kindness, and goodwill are sustenance for one’s soul.   

A benevolent society is far better than a malevolent society. 

Push the kindness button; ring the happiness bell. Let it ring loudly. Make Quasimodo proud…

 

Cannellini Beans Spinach and Sage: Soak 1/2c dried cannellini beans overnight. Drain; put in saucepan with 1 halved, crosswise garlic head, 3 sage leaves, 3tbs x-olive oil and 6c water; bring to boil; reduce heat; add salt; simmer gently until beans are creamy all the way through, but skins still intact, 35-45mins; cool. Heat 3tsp oil in pan over med-heat; cook 2 crushed garlic cloves and 1/2tsp crushed red pepper flakes; stir until garlic is golden, about 1min. Working in batches, add 2 bunches trimmed spinach, letting it wilt slightly before adding more; cook, tossing until all has wilted; season. With slotted spoon, add beans to spinach; warm through; add 1tbs finely grated lemon zest, 2tbs lemon juice and 1/4c bean cooking liquid; toss gently; don’t cook too long. Serve drizzled with oil.

Chicken Breasts with Fresh Sage: Marinate for 30mins, 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts with 3tbs lemon juice, 28 sage leaves and 3tbs x-virgin olive oil for 30mins. Remove chicken; pat dry. Strain marinade; put aside. Reserve sage leaves separately; put aside. In pan, melt 3tbs butter and 2tbs olive oil until hot and bubbly; add chicken breasts smooth side down; cook until evenly brown, about 5mins. Turn breasts over; season. Tuck reserved sage leaves around chicken; cook until chicken is browned on bottom, but still juicy, 5-10 mins more. Don’t scorch sage. Remove chicken to platter; season second side. Scatter sage on top; also add lemon wedges. Cover loosely with foil. Discard any fat from pan; add reserved lemon marinade to pan on high heat. Reduce to a glaze; add 1tbs butter; pour over chicken; serve immediately.

22 comments:

  1. How i pray for a benevolent society! We need that before we destroy ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is for sure, messymimi. We are living in a very scary time. I fear none of us are safe, no matter where we are...

    Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kindness is often the answer, but it doesn't work against greed. Not that I've noticed anyway. my mother was fond of that same saying, If you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey River....I can't stand greed in any form.

      By the way, filming on Season 10 of "The Blacklist" will be starting soon, if it has not already commenced! Whoopee! :)

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      PS...By the way...when you get a moment send me a short email so I can have a record of your email addy. When I got this new PC a couple of months ago the idiot who set it up for me erased a lot of data that I need! Grrrr....email addresses were part of his oversight.

      Delete
  4. Kindness NEVER goes astray. And is always welcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It most certainly is, EC...and I appreciate very much those who, without hesitation, treated me with kindness a short while ago. They're good people...and I will not forget the eagerness to assist.

      EC....as per my PS to River above...could you, too, please send me a brief email at your leisure so I can keep a record of your email addy. Thanks.

      It's good to see you...take care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  5. Cat's don't ask for much in their lives, just to be fed and loved.
    Great views from the mountain.
    Like your painting, it's colourful.
    Kindness and giving are good things to behold in life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Margaret...my two furry best mates are much loved by me and they love me in return...I keep telling them we're the Three Musketeers. :)

      I wish kindness and giving would become the next pandemic...one that there is no cure for!

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed the fact that you showed some of your surrounding views and buildings (in some cases again) because I never cease to enjoy them. Cats always rule the roost. I've only ever had one pet (a cat) that was left behind by a departing partner. It died the day before I left for my first holiday in New Zealand all those years ago but I still sometimes feel his presence. I'm glad that you benefitted from the kindness of others recently. I know you would have helped others in their need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Graham...Cats have been in my life since I was a toddler. My Nana and mother used to always say when I was a little girl that I had a special affinity with them. I believe that to be so.

      Yep! A couple of the images shown above I have displayed previously. My camera doesn't know what it is these days. I think it's still around here somewhere...I've not taken photos in ages and ages. I'm slack! :)

      I hope all is going well for you...keep taking good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  7. In general - and I am aware that this is a very broad statement - we seem to be capable of kindness and compassion at the individual level - while totally failing at the national level. I am always reminded of the incidence in the First World War when an impromptu twenty-four hour truce was declared at the front and German and British soldiers played soccer and exchanged pleasantries, and the next day went back to killing each other. It will drive you mad trying to figure that out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree with you, David.

      And that moment in time...the pause in hostilities during the First World War is one which remains. So very much could be learned from that moment...if only notice was taken.

      Human behaviour is complex and contradictory. I don't know why humans can't live together harmoniously. If only I had the answer to that...imagine...

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  8. Your country is so beautiful.
    So glad you have kind souls around you.
    Take good care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra...this area here where I roam (I don't roam very far, by choice) is a lovely part of the country, too. This is the hinterland of the much busier Gold Coast.

      It's far enough away from the madding crowd, and close enough to the madding crowd for those who wish to be part of it. I'm not one of those. It's a good community here...many cafes, restaurants, quaint gift stores etc., for those who wish to partake. I like living here...and have been here 20 years on 13th April.

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  9. WE have to give others the benefit of the doubt unless we know they are truly evil as some leaders are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Tabor...how wonderful it would be if we lived in a world devoid of evil...only in our dreams, sadly.

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  10. Kindness and caring are often overlooked close to home when there are so many worldwide crisis. Sometimes, attention is diverted from caring about those closer. I try and keep in contact weekly with as many people as possible either through calls, cards, letters or a short message. It's the little things that can often mean so much to someone who may not have friends, family or even pets. You seem to have been helped by wonderful friends, Lee, and it's good to acknowledge that kindness, even if they are unknown to your blogger friends.

    BTW, thanks for the recipe with the spinach and beans. I recall my late mother had a variation of this and this week I am planning a variation as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, Beatrice...kindness...being thoughtful matter so much. A smile...a cheerful word go a long way to brighten one's day, whether from a friend, an acquaintance or a stranger. They don't cost a cent, but are worth so very much.

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. And you are welcome re the recipe. :)

      Delete
  11. oh to be a cat, on he way home from the grocery I said Poor Bonkers, and dh says back, he is not poor in any way, oh to be a cat, there are many kind folks here in my area but there are also some not so kind, an uptick in crime and when I read who it happens to it saddens me, the world is indeed a scary place and we feel powerless to do much about the big picture but if we do small things it will help someone in need feel a little better. If thumper was a giant he could give some folks a good thump to knock some sense in them hopefully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Linda...I'm late responding to your comment because for the past 8 days I've had no phone and internet service. So very frustrating!

      There are many in our world who need a good thump up the rump!!

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  12. What I see of cats is mostly the via blooper clips on Youtube's Failarmy. It does make me think that life is more interesting with cats around. They're a little less predictable than dogs. At least that's been my experience.

    I do try to do a good deed here and there, though many times it's for family. My wife and I babysat our four grands when their mother had emergency surgery. Then we're dog-sitting for our other son while he goes on vacation next week. Hopefully that counts when our parish pastor, like you, urges us to respect others through our words and action.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Dave...my two furry mates make my life more interesting each day. They're a characters...brother and sister...with each with his/her own unique personality.

      Remy, my male cat, went on high alert, in protective mode when the fellow arrived this morning to fix my phone/internet service. Shama, his sister is still hiding on the bed. Similar occurs whenever a stranger dares enter "our" premises!

      Good deeds are good not only for those on the receiving end...but for those doing the deeds. :)

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete