Wednesday, May 11, 2022

MUMMA TOLD ME THERE’D BE DAYS LIKE THIS!

         

From top left...Nana at 16 years...my mother as a baby and Nana on her wedding day
Circa 1953/4...my mother modelling in a fashion parade for a Gympie dress salon

 

Up Where We Belong

                                                            Spinach, Bacon and Feta Egg Bake - A Savory Feast

 

                                                  How to Make Avocado Toast with Tomatoes and Corn

 

Hmmm! That was sneaky!  Without forewarning, the month of May snuck in an extra Sunday, which means Sunday just gone, the 8th, the second Sunday in May, was Mother’s Day.  My apologies for my oversight in being late wishing Mums a Happy Mother’s Day.  I hope you had a good one. Every day is Mother’s Day, or should be, so please don’t be too hard on me!  As it is, most of the time I don’t know what day it is!  I don’t need May’s help to add to my confusion.

I don’t have any children, but I do have my fur babies.  I gave up asking them to give me breakfast in bed years ago.  The one time they heeded my request, they insisted on joining me.  What a mess that ended up being!!

A few weeks ago I watched a documentary titled, “Lucy and Desi”.  The title is a give-away, of course.  The documentary is about Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz.  It follows the recent biographical drama, “Being the Ricardos”, which features our own Nicole Kidman’s excellent portrayal of Lucille Ball. 

In my opinion, both the documentary and the film are worth watching. Lucille Ball certainly was a force to be reckoned with…a woman way before her time.  The ball was in her court. She ran with it, shooting goals left, right and centre. She paved the path for future female artists.  Lucille was a strong, talented, beautiful woman.

When my late brother Graham and I were kids, and even when we were adults, for a bit of fun we’d tease our mother relentlessly, likening her to “Lucy”.  Lucille Ball wasn’t a natural red-head, but our mother was.  With her sparkling blue eyes flashing in feigned annoyance, Mum would toss back her flaming locks whenever we teased her.  Our mother was a tall, good-looking woman, with a “good figure”…the flattering description used back “her day”. Mum knew our teasing bore no malice.  Graham and I were aware enough to understand she secretly enjoyed our mischievous banter.  We weren’t allowed to be cheeky, but we were allowed to have fun as long as it harmed no one.

Sadly, our mother passed away at the young age of 54 years.  On 17th February, 2022, Mum would have turned 102.

My brother and I were raised under the watchful eyes of two mothers…our mother and our Nana, who our mother called “Mumma”.  Come Mother’s Day we spoiled both ladies.  Bouquets of chrysanthemums from our garden accompanied the simple presents we bought with pocket-money we’d earned by returning newspapers and bottles to the shops in exchange for coins. Our gifts may have been humble, but they were given with love; and received with love.  It has been said memories lock us in the past.  Frequently, I feel that’s not so bad, particularly when the present too often isn’t crash-hot.  For me, there are many areas I wouldn’t mind being locked into…I’d be a contented prisoner.

When I was a kid we didn’t have a car.  We walked everywhere…up and down the hills of Gympie.  To visit Tin Can Bay, which we sometimes did for a spot of fishing, crabbing, and oyster-gathering…and to be eaten alive by sand flies…we travelled by bus. It was a special treat, as was the abundant fresh seafood, but not the abundant sand flies.  One time, and one time only, my brother rode his push bike to Tin Can Bay.  He hitched a ride home on the bus.

Our eyes were glued to the colourful surroundings, not devices.  The only phones we used were outside Gympie’s post office. To my knowledge, these days there is only one payphone here on the mountain. Since October, 2021, to make a call, coins aren’t acceptable.  Next time I have trouble with my phone service. I’ll set up camp beside the payphone, or use tom-toms and smoke signals.  The latter might be easier.

 Life appears to be more difficult in this so-called “modern era” than it was back in the past where we sometimes become imprisoned by our memories.  Please pass the bread and water. Ahhh…the good old days of old…

 

Savoury Bread Pudding: Place pan on med-heat; coat base with x-virgin olive oil; add 1 thinly sliced onion. Stir occasionally; cook 3mins; add 3 minced garlic cloves; sauté 2mins. Add 1-1/2c halved cherry toms and 1 zucchini cut into thin circles; cook 5mins. Add 1-1/2c chopped kale, 1-1/2tsp thyme; season to taste. Stir until kale begins to wilt. Whisk together 6 eggs and 1-1/2c milk. Coat casserole dish with olive oil; spread 2c sourdough loaf cut into 1-inch cubes on bottom; top with ½ of the veggies; then layer another 2c bread cubes and veggies on top. Pour egg/milk mix over; crumble feta over top. Nestle some pieces underneath the bread cubes. Chill up to 1 day before cooking, if desired.  Place uncovered in preheated 175C oven; cook 45-50mins, until it starts to bubble up and crisp.

Ham-Cheese Puffs: Use a 7cm cutter to cut 16 rounds from 16 thick slices of bread.  Using 250g sliced mozzarella and 160g thinly sliced smoked ham, place on half of the bread rounds. Top with remaining bread rounds.  Whisk 3 eggs and 1/2c milk. Place each round into mixture for a few seconds to soak.  Transfer to pie maker.  Repeat with remaining rounds.  Cook 7mins, or until golden and cooked through; repeat with remaining rounds. 

Tomato-Corn-Avo Toast: Combine 3 diced plum tomatoes, 2 thinly sliced scallions, 1 finely chopped jalapeno, 1c fresh corn kernels and 4tbs lime juice; season. Gently mash 3 avocados evenly onto 6 slices of toasted crusty bread; top generously with tomato-corn salsa.

 

16 comments:

  1. So many wonderful memories, i wouldn't blame you for wanting to live back then again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not all my memories are good memories and happy memories, messymimi...but I do my best to stick to the happy, good ones. The latter are the most precious.

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  2. I love that kitten picture! My two cats see me as their mom and I know yours do too! Those are wonderful family pictures and I always enjoy hearing about your childhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bonnie...Yes...that kitten picture is a beauty. I just had to post it
      !! :)

      I'm glad you enjoy my reminiscing...thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  3. On the 17th February 2022, my mum would have been 96. I don't think I would have given her a gift, at 96 what could she possibly need? But I would have visited. She passed away in June 2004.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Flowers are always a lovely gift, no matter what age the recipient is...chocolates are, too. :)

      I gave a friend's mother a bunch of flowers and some chocolates for Mother's Day just passed. She, the mother, will turn 105 this coming June. She is in the Aged Care Facility here on the mountain. :)

      Thanks for coming by, River...take good care. :)

      Delete
  4. You're right about life seeming more difficult in the 'modern area'.That makes us often try to find retreat in our memories of the past. We find solace and pleasure even in the least significant of memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You, too, are right in what you say, DUTA. It is the simple things, the small things that may seem to others insignificant, but they're not...they're precious...and, in many ways, are a protection against the harshness of life.

      Thanks for coming by. It's always nice to hear from you...take good care. :)

      Delete
  5. I think life is much more difficult in some ways. We used to just check the mail or the answering machine. Now I check the mail, the answering machine, two emails and my cell phone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tabor...There is always something burdening us...more and more each day. I doubt if even the younger generations can keep up with it all.

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  6. Your mum and nana sounded like wonderful women. I'm glad you had them in your life.
    Lucille Ball was an amazing woman, wasn't she?
    Take special care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra. Mum and Nana were hard-working women. There was no father in our lives so the job of raising my brother and me was up to them. They did their best under, at many times, difficult situations. Without them in our lives, Graham and I would have been in an orphanage, no doubt.

      Yes, Lucille Ball was amazing...more than many realise, I think. She was very clever...very astute.

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  7. I always enjoy hearing about your childhood, Lee, and the dedication of your mum and grandmother. You may not have had much but you had a lot more of the important things than a lot of others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pauline, Mum and Nana did their best...difficult times at times...but they did their best to put Graham's and my welfare and safety at the top of their list. I don't know how they managed to do it all. In fact, we really didn't go without much. Our cupboards were all was full...and we always had clean clothes on our backs, shoes on our feet...and, humble thought it was, a roof over our heads.

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  8. From the old photos it is easy to see where you get all your flair. I am going to try to make that bread pudding. It looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bread puddings...both the savoury and sweet were regulars on our dinner table when we were kids. We loved them. I've not had either for years. Perhaps I should rectify that!!

      Thanks for coming by, Annie...take good care. :)

      Delete