Wednesday, June 08, 2022

COWBOYS, INDIANS…AND BIG BROTHERS…



24 years ago, on 6th June, 1998, my brother, Graham passed away. Smiles emanating from my memories give comfort. A “straight-shooter”, Graham looked others directly in the eye. He didn’t suffer fools. A typical older brother, Graham teased the living bejeezus out of me, gaining great pleasure tormenting his little sister. Myriad yarns he spun to get a rise out of me. 

When we were kids he told me to never drink water while eating grapes. By doing so simultaneously, it would turn into wine, he smirkingly said!  No stomping barefooted in grape-filled vats for me…just a glass of water and a mouthful of grapes…easy-peasy!

Billy, the Kid, Wild Bill Hickok, Doc Holliday, Jesse James, Annie Oakley, Belle Starr, Calamity Jane, Geronimo, Sitting Bull, Crazy Horse et al hung around in our backyard.  A motley crew we were. Such fun we had circling the wagons. Cowboy and Indian movies shown during Saturday matinees at Gympie’s Olympia Theatres were our inspirations. We never missed a Satuday afternoon, armed with our Jaffas and Fantails, or whatever other special treats had taken our fancy…and our hard-earned pocket money.

Graham was a ‘boy’s boy’, and later, a ‘man’s man’.  Our mother and grandmother sat at the top of his list of priorities.  He loved them dearly. Oft times he was my hero, even though he didn’t know it; many times neither did I.  I do now.

He played Rugby League for the Wanderers’….a local football team. During one game against Brothers he broke his collar bone, but that didn’t lessen his love for the game.

Our pets were important to us.  Graham was lord and master of the various dogs we had when we were kids. “Peter”, a fox terrier, was followed by “Rickie”, a foxie mix, then came “Whisky”, a pug.  Later, he had “Homer”, a beagle, followed by “Missie”, a prim and proper Cocker Spaniel.

Always a competent carpenter, around the age of 11 years, without adult assistance, Graham built a sturdy aviary to house his bird family of quails, budgies (not smugglers…they came later), and finches.  “Sweetie”, our melodious yellow canary lived in his cage upstairs.  Our family of guinea pigs helped maintain the grass at a controllable level.  Bantams unselfishly produced eggs, while the turkeys gobbled.

The loves of my life, of course, were my cats. The cats were always mine.  Graham and I collected tadpoles, too.  Fascinated, we’d follow their journey of life as they morphed into frogs. Without a backward glance, or thanks, they’d hop off. The tortoises we found while playing along the banks of the Mary River never hung around for long.  To our dismay, in haste, they’d make their escape before slowly wending their way to the nearest waterway.

Graham was grateful I talked him into joining the Noosa Heads Surf Lifesaving Club. He embraced the mate-ship and lifestyle. (That’s when and where budgie smugglers came into play).  In the early 60s, no spring nor summer weekend passed without him joining his mates at Laguna Bay. 

A few weeks ago I spoke with one of those mates. Ron, the mate, has also been a long-time friend of mine.  Ron was captain of the Noosa Club for many years, and for many years thereafter was club president.  On Anzac Day, 2022, he resigned after 64 years of dedicated service to the Noosa Heads Surf Lifesaving Club.  A worthy ceremony was held in his honour.  Sadly, this year two mutual friends from the Noosa club have passed away.

Perhaps, if there is a “place somewhere up there”, Graham and his lifesaver mates are catching waves, or clouds, while chewing the fat over fun times long gone…the halcyon days of Noosa…when Noosa really was at its best.

Graham enjoyed following the horses (not on foot), reading, music, fishing, gardening, cooking…and teasing me.

One of the best times we shared was being in the audience at John Denver’s 1994 Townsville concert, and our meeting Denver at concert’s end. 

Big brothers oft times can be hard to live with, but it’s always difficult living without them.  

18 comments:

  1. Graham sounded like a character. He and my brother Bill would have been friends. He was a cowboy from childhood to the end. He died in 1999, age 44. I miss him so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Susan...your brother and mine passed away far too young. Graham and I had our moments...many of them, but the constant in our lives, regardless, was we loved each other. I miss him so much, too.

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  2. I hear you. And understand just how much you miss him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, EC...I don't believe in the word "closure" in the way it is so often, in my opinion, erroneously used, I have, and will always miss Graham as long as I'm alive.

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  3. I never had an older brother, but I did and do have a big brother, at nearly six feet he towers over me. it's nice that you have so many good memories of Graham.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi River....It's important to hold onto the memories, I believe...the good and the bad.

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  4. 'We can't live with them and we can't live without them', goes the saying.
    Your post, Lee, is a fine tribute to your brother Graham (rip)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...the saying is spot on, DUTA. Graham and I had our "moment" through the years....but we always backed each other, too. :)

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  5. That's given me a wonderful vivid picture of Graham. It must be hard to lose such a strong character in your life. Your piece is a good tribute to his lively character and the pictures show a boy who looks like fun! By the way I know what a budgie bird is but haven't a clue what a budgie smuggler is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Jenny...."Budgie Smugglers"....an Aussie term for male speedos (ie: brief/undies style swimmers...... https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=budgie%20smuggler

      The above site will explain the term to you... :)

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  6. Good to read about your brother with more memories Lee..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was a character, Margaret. Although he so often tried to hide it, he was a big softie. :)

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  7. A lovely post Lee.
    Many thanks for sharing your memories.
    I've always enjoyed listening to John Denver.

    My good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're most welcome, Jan. I have no family left...I'm the last of the Mohicans...and I cherish my memories. They are most important to me. :)

      Denver was brilliant live in concert...I'm so glad I got to see him...and see him alongside my brother, Graham, who was massive Denver fan.

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
    2. Oh Lee, I'm so sorry! He sounds like he was a wonderful brother...and I know you loved him greatly.
      Love the name Whiskey for the Pug...
      hugs to you sweet lady
      John Denver??!!! scream!!!lolol
      Donna

      Delete
    3. Hey, there, Donna,., Graham could be a pain-in-the you-know-what...but then so could, and so am I! :)

      He loved John Denver and made me promise not to play hymns when he passed, but Denver songs...in particular, "Annie's Song". I followed his wishes.

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  8. What a wonderful tribute of Graham. I could feel the love you felt for him in each sentence. My only brother was six years younger than I and has been gone a little over a year, Hope he and Graham are friends up in the clouds. Peace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, Miss Kitty. I bet they both are exchanging stories and lots of laughs. :)

      The missing never goes away, nor do the memories....

      Thanks for coming by, Dianne. It's always good to hear from you. Take good care. :)

      Delete