Saturday, July 16, 2022

WHILE ON THE SUBJECT OF ‘LIFTING ME HIGHER AND HIGHER…’




                 
Four Aspects of Airlie Beach, in the Whitsundays, North Queensland

 


 



Whenever you’re feeling blue…I don’t mean blue from the cold, but when you’re feeling down, a sure-fire remedy to lift your mood is to watch “Jimmy Buffett: Welcome to Fin City”. 

Via a streaming service, the other day I watched the 2011 concert by a barefooted Buffett clad in casual Bermuda shorts and T-shirt entertaining his adoring fans in Las Vegas. "Gypsies at the Palace", in particular, is so much fun!  A smile never left my face for the duration of the concert.  The resultant extra wrinkles worry me not. I’ve always been a Buffett fan (not so much buffets I prepared and served when I was cooking for a living. Witnessing the greed of some around the buffet tables annoyed me no end). 

I loved Margaritas, although it’s been quite a few years since I’ve enjoyed the pleasure of sipping on same. 

One tropical night in the early 90s a friend and I had fun at an Airlie Beach cocktail bar.  The barman was an expert Margarita-maker.  On the wall behind the bar was a large, coloured photo of one of Jimmy Buffet’s beautiful sloops, afloat, upon an azure sea.  My friend’s unit was not far from the bar.  Singing “Margaritaville” all the way she and I had only a short stroll back to her home after our fun-filled, Margarita-filled evening,.

From the moment I heard Elvis Presley’s first hit single, “Heartbreak Hotel” I fell under his spell.  When Elvis’ first movie, “Love Me Tender” arrived at Gympie’s Olympia Theatre, my brother and I, along with the rest of the townsfolk, raced off to the matinee.  We weren’t disappointed.  I doubt there is one Presley movie I’ve not seen, even though many of them were repetitious fairy floss frivolities.  All those light-hearted movies manipulative Colonel Tom Parker insisted Elvis make didn’t deter me.  Movies like “King Creole” which was based on Harold Robbins’ novel “A Stone for Danny Fisher” was proof positive Elvis could act…if, and when, allowed to do so.  It’s a pity he wasn’t allowed to do more along a similar vein.  Elvis wasn’t given free rein to show his dramatic talent. Devious Parker had other ideas, all of which were prompted by the sound of Parker’s personal cash registers.

Baz Luhrman is a brilliant, creative movie-maker.  I’m looking forward to viewing his latest colourful creation, “Elvis”.  However, I’m not sure to where Luhrman, the man, has disappeared. I fear Madame Tussauds is missing a wax model from its vast collection. Watching Baz’s immovable face during his current promotional interviews, I think he’d better watch out, or Tussauds will grab him and put him on display.  These days Luhrman’s face doesn’t move. It’s as stiff as a poker, and as pumped up as a car tyre. 

Why anyone would want to look like a moai, one of the stone statues created centuries ago by the Rapa Nui people of Easter Island, beats me. Why not allow one’s wrinkles tell the story of one’s life?  Each line has its own story...each worthy to be a chapter in its own biography. 

Let’s face it…all the lifting and filling draws attention to the face.  Why go to the trouble of trying to hide the truth when the end result does the exact opposite? It’s a new slant on “keeping a stiff upper lip”. Now it includes stiff bottom lip, chin, cheeks, nose, eyebrows and forehead!

When Elvis, with his dulcet tones and lively hips, hit the scene in the 50s the side-burned bodgies, and the widgies, in their starched rope petticoats leapt for joy.  Even if someone stepped on their blue suede shoes they just shrugged, and continued to shake, rattle and roll.  They weren’t all shook up about it.  When Elvis begged, “Let Me Be Your Teddy Bear” the hound dogs howled.  On the sidelines, the Hard-Headed Woman pleaded, “Don’t Be Cruel! Let the Jailhouse Rock!”  Even though there are many pretenders, and some may be great, there will only ever be one Elvis,   Lock the doors! Don’t let him leave the building!

 

Uplifting Ravioli: Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Chop 250g fresh asparagus into thirds.  In pan  melt 2tbs butter until frothy; add asparagus; stir; cover. Cook 4-5mins.  Add 230g ravioli to boiling water; cook about 4mins; drain; add to a bowl. Add 2tbs lemon juice and black pepper to asparagus; turn heat to high; cook, stirring, 30 secs. Remove from heat. Add asparagus, butter lemon sauce to ravioli.  Add 1/4c walnut pieces, 2tbs minced parsley and 2tbs grated parmesan.  Toss gently; serve sprinkled with extra parmesan.

Lemon Parmesan Chicken: Preheat oven 200C. Line baking sheet; set aside. Add 1/3rd cup flour to a bowl. Combine 1c panko crumbs, 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, 1tsp dried parsley, 1/2tsp garlic powder, about 1/2tsp each of salt and pepper; stir.  In another bowl, add 1-2tsp lemon zest, 4-5tbs lemon juice, 1tbs minced garlic and 5tbs melted butter. Remove 4tbs of mix; set aside.  Slice 680g boned, skinless chicken breasts into strips. Coat in flour; heavily dredge in garlic lemon mix; coat in parmesan-panko mix; place on pan. Sprinkle any remaining panko-parmesan over strips.  Sprinkle lemon pepper over chicken. Bake 10mins; remove.  Flip to other side.  Place 450g fresh asparagus next to chicken; drizzle with reserved lemon butter sauce.  Sprinkle remaining 1/2c parmesan over asparagus; toss with tongs. If desired, place lemon slices over chicken.  Return to oven; bake 10-12mins.  Whisk 3tbs melted butter, 2tbs lemon juice, 1-2tsp lemon zest, 3tbs olive oil and 3tbs honey in bowl; add some pepper and parsley, if desired. Remove chick-asparagus from oven; top with the honey lemon mixture and fresh parsley if desired.  Do not top chicken breasts with the honey lemon mixture unless eating immediately and aren't planning on having leftovers since it will make it soggy. 

 


22 comments:

  1. Even people who don't like the drink like the song, i believe. It's certainly iconic.

    As is Elvis. When i was young, and they'd show his movies on TV very, very late at night, i was allowed to go to bed early for a "nap", then get up and watch, then go back to bed. What a treat.

    Poor Elvis, he always considered himself first and foremost a Gospel music singer, and he wasn't allowed to do what he loved best very often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, messymimi....Yes, I agree. It was so very sad Elvis wasn't allowed to do what he loved best...he was brought up singing gospel. His small family home and unit were the only white family living in black neighbourhoods. Gospel was in his blood...and he was so good at singing, gospel.

      Jimmy Buffett always brings joy.

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  2. That was nice to listen to, I haven't thought about Jimmy Buffet in years! I shall find more of his songs at you tube later. I'm looking forward to seeing the Elvis movie, but will probably wait until it is released on DVD.
    I agree about the wrinkles vs face lifting, let the wrinkles win! I don't have many yet, but they are more visible now. My hands have more wrinkles than the rest of me, they look like they are 90 already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, River. Buffett is a lot of fun. I loved the video of the concert I mentioned above. I'll watch it again, and was intending to do so today, but didn't! I'll get to see the "Elvis:" movie eventually, too...not in a theatre. I've not been to a movie theatre in years now, preferring to watch whatever I choose to watch, at home.

      For my age I really don't have a lot of wrinkles, either...but having the few I do doesn't worry me. Accept me as I am and for whom I am...or not at all. It is what it is, and I am what I am! :)

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  3. I assume that my first comment went to your spam folder. Sigh. I earned my wrinkles and my grey hair and loathe the attempt by so many to stay forever young.
    I doubt I will see the Elvis movie but it has had good reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, EC...There seems to be so many silly things occurring on blogging of late.

      I've earned my wrinkles and grey hair, too...and am ashamed of neither. I sure as hell don't want anyone fooling around with my face. I wouldn't trust the buggers! :)

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
    2. I suspect that if you go to your spam folder you will find it has caught a lot of comments.

      Delete
  4. Elvis is unforgettable. His unique voice and rhytm offered us enormous pleasure.
    As for wrinkles, I'm for leaving them as they are. Lifting and fillings are not bettering the face, on the contrary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'Day, DUTA...Yes...there is, and only ever will be, one Elvis. He was unique, that is for sure. I've always been a fan, from when I was a kid when I first heard and saw him.

      My wrinkles are staying put, too.

      Thanks for coming by...take good care...stay safe. :)

      Delete
  5. Hello Lee, my comment from yesterday must be in your spam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margaret...I don't know where the spam is...so, unfortunately, I can't find it. What a nuiscane. Thanks for coming by...twice...take good care. :)

      Delete
  6. Hi Lee, I said hello to Gympie for you when I went through to Bundaberg on the train last week. I saw the Elvis movie on Bribie with my childhood friend who was with me when we first saw "Love me Tender" and "Jailhouse Rock". We relived our memories of Elvis mania, along with a theatre filled with grey haired ladies - and 3 or 4 men. Everyone was smiling broadly when we left the theatre. As for wrinkles and grey hair, I've earned every one so wear them with pride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Pauline! Thanks for saying "Hello!" to dear old Gympie for me! :)
      I'm glad you've seen the new "Elvis" movie. I look forward to doing so. We need things that make us feel happy these days...there is too much of the other stuff going on! Smiling and laughter are great...and I believe the more we do of both eliminates and stops wrinkles from forming! :)

      Take good care...I hope you enjoyed your trip. Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  7. To find your spam go to your comments page. At the top of that page you will see a small downward pointing arrow. If you click on it, then the spam folder will be revealed and you can go through it deleting or publishing. Sadly I think you have to do it one comment at a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, EC. I appreciate your help. :)

      Delete
  8. I want some of that ravioli with a margarita on the side.
    Elvis was talented for sure.
    Wishing you and your furry companions a wonderful week:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra...The arrival of Elvis on the scene certainly did shake things up! The one and only Elvis was most generous in sharing his talent. I loved his Hawaiian concert...it was special.

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  9. Blogger and the spam folder are causing many of us problems, and yes, I find I have to 'deal' with each comment individually.

    We love chicken in our house so many thanks for including Lemon Parmesan Chicken in your recipes :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Jan....problems surround us...everywhere...there is no escaping it would seem!

      You're more than welcome re the recipe! Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  10. What a fun way to start a post, Lee, and as much as I enjoy Jimmy Buffet's tunes, there are some tunes that just stay with the original artist and for me Elvis does it better. That said, Buffet's fans were such fun to watch. I also noticed that his band members were older, and the blond back-up singer was wearing heels that were so high that I didn't wonder why she stood in place. Several folks I know have seen the new Elvis film and enjoyed it, including my brother. Currently, I have no plans to see it...maybe if it ever comes to Netflix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beatrice...I, too, will wait until "Elvis" comes to Netflix or somewhere similar. These days I prefer watching movies etc., at home. I love music...all genres...except rap and hip-hop....both are not "music" to me.

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
    2. My dear girl I had to LOL when I read about the guy's face . I feel the same. Why in the world would you want to do that to your face. But those who put a nose ring into their noses are just as bad. As for Elvis, I liked him but I was a more Dean Martin type growing up. Odd duck as most were into country or rock. But when I saw Elvis the first time, I went straight away and bought my first album and then of course I had to dive into his history. He was FANTANTASTIC. I have not seen anyone as great since. Peace

      Delete