Wednesday, August 24, 2022

SCREAMING, NOT CRYING, OVER SPILLED MILK…

 





It was my smoke alarm doing the screaming, not me.  True is the saying “a watched pot/kettle never boils”.  Similar applies to a milk-filled saucepan sitting atop a hotplate. 

Minding my own business, I was heating milk in preparation of a mug of Milo.  It felt like I’d been watching the saucepan forever.  For a brief moment I turned my attention away from what was, or was not occurring, on the stove.  You can guess what happened next. 

Similar to Mt. Etna erupting, milk rose beyond the pot’s limit, and overflowed everywhere.  If that wasn’t enough excitement for one morning, highly agitated, my smoke alarm began screaming its lungs out.  I’m sure the folk down in Canungra, in the valley below, leapt out of their skin.

It’s moments like that my trusty broom comes in handy. After a few gentle jabs with said broomstick, and a few not so gentle words from me, the screaming ceased. Peace once again reigned supreme.

Brooms are very versatile having many aspects other than just being useful methods of transport.  Last week I considered using mine when my car battery died, but, instead, I opted to link up the charger.  It was far too chilly and foggy a morning to be flying around on my broomstick.

When I left Gympie early August, 1965 to live and work in Brisbane, a friend and I shared a flat in Toowong.  Our landlady had converted the upstairs’ level of her home into two flats. The landlady’s abode was the ground level.  After a small gathering my flat-mate and I hosted one night we christened our landlady, “The Broomstick Lady”. 

We revelers got a bit carried away, as one does during such occasions. While dancing and singing along to Nancy Sinatra’s “These Boots Were Made for Walking”, our off-key back-up vocals to Ms Sinatra popular song didn’t sit well with our landlady.  With her broomstick, our normally mellow Lady of the Manor began banging on her ceiling (our floor), threateningly informing us our boots were made for walking, and if we didn’t shut up we’d soon be putting them to the use for which they were made.  Duly reprimanded, we pulled our heads in, removed our boots, lifted our feet, lowered the volume, and retired our dancing, singing group with not a hit to our name. Thereafter, we respected “The Broomstick Lady’s” decrees.  

On a sombre note, the recent passing of Judith Durham, closely followed by Olivia Newton-John caused a tsunami of sadness to engulf the world.  Grief spilled over, spreading far and wide.

Two strong hearts…both were wonderful, warm, talented, modest women, who were part of our Australian landscape.  Forever they will remain in our hearts. From the moment The Seekers’ music hit our air waves the pure beauty of Judith Durham’s voice captivated millions. 

Circa 1985, one day while taking care of business in my greengrocery-health food shop in Hastings Street, Noosa Heads, to my surprise, and delight, I had the pleasure of meeting Judith when she entered my shop to purchase goods.  She and I chatted at length. At the time, Judith and her husband lived in the Sunshine Coast Hinterland. 

Judith Durham was as lovely a person, in person, as she appeared to be when on the world stage. A couple of months after our meeting I learned The Seekers were to perform at an ocean-side fair at Maroochydore. “Let me be there!” I yelled.  “It won’t be a concert without Georgy Girl!”

The carnival isn’t over. We’ll remain hopelessly devoted to Judith and Olivia. We love you, we honestly love you both. We’ll never find another you.

Olivia, with the looks of an angel, sang like an angel, was, and shall remain, an angel. She was a warrior, who bequeathed an everlasting legacy. Her generosity of spirit will live on, not only through her Olivia Newton-John Cancer Wellness & Research Centre, which offers world-leading treatment and care, but through her many other the heartfelt, selfless endeavours.   

Olivia’s shining light will never fade…her generosity of spirit, her kindness and goodwill spill over throughout the world…..

 

Milo Lava Cakes: Preheat oven 180C.  Separate 2 eggs; store egg whites in fridge for other use. Melt 50g mini choc chips and 100g unsalted butter until smooth; remove from heat. Add in 40g caster sugar and 60g Milo powder; whisk until well combined. Ensure mixture is not too hot before adding 2 eggs, plus the extra 2 yolks, 1 by 1, after each is fully incorporated; don’t panic if mixture curdles…carry on. Sift flour; mix in until no visible lumps of flour. Don’t over-mix. Grease baking dishes (4xmini loaf pans…8x4.5x4cm OR 5-6oz ramekins; then ‘flour’ baking dishes with cocoa powder). Pour batter evenly into pans to about 80% full. Bake 10-15mins. At 8min mark, jiggle pans to check for doneness; centre should jiggle slightly. Cakes are done when sides are firm and set, and centres are still slightly jiggly.  Don’t over-bake. Cool slightly; remove from pans. Sift cocoa powder over before serving cakes warm.

Angel Food Cake: Preheat oven 175C. Grab 12 eggs. Measure egg whites to equal 1½ cups. Place in bowl; stand at room temp 30mins. Sift 155g icing sugar and 1c plain flour together; add 1-1/2tsp cream of tartar, 1-1/2tsp vanilla extract, 1/2tsp almond extract and 1/4tsp salt to egg whites; beat on high speed. Gradually add 1c sugar, beating until sugar dissolves, and stiff peaks form. Fold in flour, 1/4c at a time. Spoon into greased Angel Food cake pan; cut through batter with knife to remove air pockets.  Bake 40-45mins or until cake springs back when lightly touched. When removing from oven, place wire rack onto pan; immediately turn upside-down. Allow to cool completely before removing pan from over the cake.  Cool completely, then top with whipped cream and sliced strawberries.

 





21 comments:

  1. Yes they’ve both gone but their music will be there forever. We lost another favourite of mine as well recently- Archie Roach has gone but will never be forgotten.
    ‘A watched pot never boils’……I can hear my mother saying that - and following up with ‘unless it contains milk’. In which case, watch out!
    Take care Lee
    Cathy - who’s still enjoying the delights of Bowen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Cathy... Yes, we've lost too many wonderful people lately. And now, Johnny Farnham has a battle to fight. It's never-ending.

      Give my best wishes to Bowen and its surrounding beautiful beaches. A lovely area to be enjoying....keep enjoying! Thanks for coming by....take good care. :)

      Delete
  2. Sad to lose these wonderful singers Lee, used to and still do enjoy listening to them..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, Margaret....they both left their mark. Olivia's good work shall continue in her name..she will not be forgotten. Much loved they both were. I still enjoy their music, too.
      '
      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  3. Sad, very sad the passing of the two famous singers. Thanks for your fine words in their memory.
    Your angel cake looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, DUTA....the loss has been felt wide and far. They were good women.

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  4. This was a lovely tribute, Lee, to Judith Durham and Olivia Newton-John. I did not know very much about Ms. Durham before her passing, but of course knew of Ms. Newton-John. As you noted they were both talented and generous human beings and their loss is not only for their families, but the world as well.

    The cake recipes looked wonderful, but what is Milo powder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Beatrice.....https://milo.com.au/all-about-milo/history This site will give you information on Milo. It's a lovely drink...very enjoyable. I've loved it since I was a kid...and that's a long time! :)

      Judith Durham, the lead singer in the group "The Seekers" had a beautiful voice. So very pure. Too much sadness surrounds of late...and it appears not to want to go away.

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  5. A lovely memorium to two amazing women. How cool that you got to meet Judith. My mom used to make angel food cake with a perfect cube of strawberries and strawberry gelatin in each piece. Loved that cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, Sandra. They were two amazing women, that is for sure. I was thrilled to meet Judith that day in my shop. She truly was a lovely, modest, natural person...no airs or graces about her. We shared a few laughs, and I jokingly said they, The Seekers should put on a concert in the little arcade where my shop was. It was only a couple of months later they performed at Maroochydore! May be I planted not only orange seeds, but that seed, too! lol

      Thanks for coming by, Sandra...take good care. :)

      Delete
  6. It's great to hear from you.

    You've penned a moving tribute to these talented women.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, messymimi....they were wonderful women. The legacy that Olivia Newton John left will help so many people, far and wide. It's been a very sad time....

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  7. The world is a sadder place for losing both wonderful women too soon. I always enjoy listening to them, but recently noticed I don't have their songs on my playlists. I shall remedy that this coming week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, River...so very sad. Unashamedly, and without embarrassment, my tears flowed.
      Their music shall live on...There's nothing like it around these days. And there never will again I dare to say.

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  8. I'm a bit late to the party, or rather the funerals but that was a sad week when those two great entertainers left us. I'm so envious that you met Judith Durham, what a thrill that must have been.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure was a highlight meeting Judith that day. I've never forgotten it. She was a lovely person. Sadness has been to prevalent lately...continuous....

      Take good care, Pauline...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  9. Many thanks for your recent comments on the low carb diabetic blog.
    We had a wonderful break away.

    I enjoyed reading your post and tribute to these two women :)

    Take care, my good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! You're welcome! Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  10. Olivia was very much a favorite over here in the U.S. It was headline news nationally when she passed away. I loved her in Grease. Wow, you got to meet one of the Seekers. I have not met any celebrity in my almost 70 years. I did get to shake hands with the governor once but I don't count him as a celebrity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Dave...through the years I met quite a lot of well-known people, in many walks of life. I guess the jobs I was in at various times led to those occurrences.

      To drop one name you might be familiar with...Jayne Torvill of Torvill and Dean fame...."Torvill and Dean (Jayne Torvill and Christopher Dean) are English ice dancers and former British, European, Olympic, and World champions. At the Sarajevo 1984 Winter Olympics the pair won gold and became the highest-scoring figure skaters of all time for a single programme, receiving twelve perfect 6.0s and six 5.9s which included artistic impression scores of 6.0 from every judge, after skating to Maurice Ravel's Boléro..."

      Again, Jayne was a customer in my Noosa shop, and we ended up sitting out at a table drinking coffee and chatting at length. She, too, was a lovely, natural person.

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  11. Hope you're having a great one:)

    ReplyDelete