Sunday, October 09, 2022

WHO AM I? WHAT AM I?

Graphite drawing I did a few years ago

 


 


The above are million dollar questions to which I’m not sure I have the answers without boring you senseless, or to sleep, by going into lengthy detail.  I know I’m an old bird, of that there is no dispute.  However, the unsettling part is I think I’m becoming a kookaburra, which is most unbecoming.  Please don’t misunderstand me…I love kookaburras, but I’ve never considered being one.  The kookas probably wouldn’t like the idea, either.

The reason for my concern is not my waking up at sparrow’s whatever, but it’s because lately I’m waking up around the same moment the kookaburras start laughing, which, as spring unfolds, is getting earlier and earlier each morning.  Why the birds find it so funny is a both a source of puzzlement to me, and amusement. Maybe my kookaburra neighbours are happy because they believe we’re birds of a feather, and that’s the reason they’re encouraging me to join them in their early morning frivolity. 

I, for one, do not want daylight saving!  It’s no laughing matter.  I experienced the day-light saving trial in 1989/1990 when I was living in tropical Far North Queensland.  It was a giant pain in the proverbial!  I was climbing out of bed before birds of all feathers woke, and I was working long into the still-sun-filled nights!

My circadian clock was way out of whack.  Please note…”circadian”…not cicada!  An old bird I might be, but I’ve not begun to morph into an insect…not yet, anyway.   Am I droning on too much?

It’s good to be able to laugh at yourself, though.  I’m always laughing at my own self.  Perhaps it is me I hear each morning, not the kookaburras.  I’ll apologise to the birds, if that is the case.

A perfect example of my comedic-self occurred the other day when I was doing my grocery shopping at IGA, our local supermarket.  As I reached for a container of milk, out of the corner of my eye I caught a glimpse of someone to my right.  She wore a red top on similar to the one I was wearing that morning.  I turned to smile and pass a friendly word of good cheer when I realized I was looking at my own reflection in the mirror at the end of the dairy display! 

And you wonder why I keep dodging those blokes cruising around in their vans, armed with jackets (and nets) at the ready!  One also wonders why I’m allowed out unaccompanied, let alone allowed out at all!  I’m surprised the locals don’t run off screaming in fear…and horror…every time I venture forth.  I guess it’s just as well I never venture often, or venture far…very rarely venturing farther than North Tamborine.

Between you, me and my non-existent garden gate, I believed word had finally gotten around one Monday morning earlier this month.  When I arrived at IGA the roller doors were down, bolted securely. I thought everyone, fearful of my pending appearance, had gone into hiding.  To my relief I discovered (with the helpful advice from a pleasant young lady who showed no fear being in my presence) because it was a public holiday, the supermarket wasn’t opening until 9 am.  As always, I was at the centre bright and early, a few minutes past 7 am. “The early bird catches the worm”, as the saying goes. I didn’t find any worms…not that I was looking, if that’s what you’re thinking.  

Shaking my tail feathers, I hopped into the newsagency to grab the daily papers and a couple of magazines. Rather than wait around for the supermarket to open, I flew home.  There, for the rest of the day, I remained, tackling puzzles, including Sudoku.  Ruffling my feathers, flapping my wings, I tore my hair out over Sudoku!   One would think I’d give up on the numbers’ games, but no!  I won’t let Sudoku beat me!  I’m a demon for punishment, that’s what I am!   

You’ve got to laugh!  And, we birds of a feather must stick together.  Now I’ll stop flapping my gums!

 

Mushroom Soup: Bring 600ml water to boil; add 1 vegetable stock cube, 200g diced spuds; season to taste. Reduce heat; simmer until potatoes are tender. Remove from heat; set aside.  Heat pan over med-high heat; add 20g butter; when melted, add 1 diced medium onion and 2 minced garlic cloves. Sauté until onions are just softened; add 300g diced white mushrooms; season. Cook until mushrooms have softened. Remove pan from heat; add the onions and mushrooms to pot with spuds in it. Puree with stick blender, or transfer to processor. Place mixture back on med-heat; stir in 200m cream.  When first bubbles appear on surface, turn off heat. Serve soup topped with freshly chopped chives and reserved mushroom slices.

Wise Chicken Milk Delight: Season 1-1/2kg boneless, skinless chicken thighs with salt, black pepper and paprika. Heat 3tbs x-virgin olive oil in large pan; add 8 garlic cloves; cook until golden on both sides. Transfer to bowl; set aside. Pan sear the chicken, in batches, on each side until a little golden; set aside; keep warm while working in batches so as to not overload the pan. Add 2-1/2c milk to pan chicken has been cooked in; use spatula to scrape all brown bits from bottom of pan; bring milk to gentle simmer. Add 20 fresh sage leaves, garlic and chicken back to pan with the milk sauce; bring to gentle simmer; cover with lid. Cook 30mins. Remove lid; continue simmering on low heat for another 15mins, until chicken is tender and sauce has reduced to your liking. Adjust seasonings to taste. Serve garnished with chopped parsley, sprinkling of red pepper flakes, and a drizzle of x-virgin olive oil.  

 

 


22 comments:

  1. Sudoku got the best of me years ago. I gave up very quickly. I prefer the Target Master and Code Cracker puzzles. I heard a kookaburra here a couple of weeks ago, but couldn't see him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi River....I refuse to let Sudoku beat me, even if it frustrates me no end! I manage to succeed in beating it every so often, but that doesn't appease my annoyance with it! I shall not give up or give in! lol

      I love doing the cryptics, and the Codes...as well as others.

      The kookaburras nest in the tall trees across yonder...that is when they're not hanging around close to my cabin keeping a watch on me! :)

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
    2. I try the cryptics if I'm in a good mood, but never get very far.

      Delete
  2. Your graphite drawing of the Kookaburra is superb. I have fond memories of Kookaburras during my two visits to Australia. They are wonderful birds, full of character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, David. How nice it is to hear from you. I tried a few times to leave comments on your blog, but was unable to do so until this last time. Blogger has been playing silly games of late, I think.

      Our kookas are lovely birds. As you say, they are full of character.

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. I hope all is well with you and your loved ones. :)

      Delete
  3. Loved your "twin" in the mirror so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, Annie. Oh! Dear! It was so funny. I told one of the lasses working in that area...and she laughed her head off, and said I'd made her day! lol There a good, friendly, cheerful crew who work at the supermarket. We always have a chat and a laugh...and that particular one was a beauty! lol

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  4. One of our sons enjoys Sudoku.
    I prefer word searches :)

    That Mushroom Soup looks and sounds delicious.

    All the best Jan:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jan...I do the word searches, too! :)

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  5. OK, so here I am about to admit to the world that Sudoku has whipped me. I keep trying but I haven't solved a "Hard" Sudoku for over a year, I've even struggled a few times with Mr Average. I imagine a chorus of kookaburras having fun at my expense. Love the kookas, they are a beautiful bird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only moments ago I tossed a Sudoku aside in disgust, Pauline. vowing never to do another! lol

      Guess what? I did another and got the damn thing out! However, it was an "easy" one! But I'll still take a standing ovation, thank you! :)

      And thank you for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  6. i have smiled at my reflection in a store a few times. Makes you feel really stupid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! It's funny, Tabor! Every time I go to the supermarket that "woman" is there....wearing the same clothes as I am. I think I'll report her to the cops as a stalker!!! :)

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  7. Cute about you getting ready to speak to your reflection. Keep shaking those tail feathers:)
    Best regards,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra....It's good to have a laugh...and even more so when it's at your own self! :)

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  8. What a fun post you crafted, Lee, and the references between yourself and the kookaburra were fun to read. That said, the IGA incident of seeing your reflection was the funniest because I have also done something similar and I suspect others as well, so no need to be so hard on yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Beatrice. I'm not being hard on myself....I'm having a good old laugh. I was at the supermarket this morning, and that same woman, dressed the same way I was, was there again! Stalker alert!!! :)

      Take good care....thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  9. They say 'sudoku' and all the various word and mind games are a waste of the brain's activity. I wouldn't know as I have no time for games and puzzles. I have to be practical about things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "They" also say that the puzzles are very good for the brain, DUTA. I wish :they'd" make up their minds. In the meantime, I'll keep doing them, regardless, because I enjoy doing them. I believe I'm a sensible, practicable person...99.9% of the time, anyway. Being the recluse, the hermit that I am, I guess I do have the time to wile away doing some of the things I enjoy...things that can be done solely. (With the assistance of my two furry mates, of course!) :)

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. It's always nice to see you. :)

      Delete
  10. That graphite drawing is amazing. Between your cooking and drawing you're a very talented young lady:)
    Have a wondrous weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahaha! So kind you are, Sandra! I must be age backwards! lol

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete

  11. Hello Everyone Here,
    My Name is Dylan Brandon, I'm from the UK and I was once a Vaginal Cancer patient.
    Until the day my doctor recommended Dr Itua Herbal Remedy to me on how he uses Herbal medicines to cure all kinds of disease, I was very inst rested on his herbal remedy because I was very sick at that moment and I was diagnosed with Brain Tumor and Vaginal Cancer. I took the risk to take his treatment after watching his documentary.
    I contacted him on Email and explained my situation to him, he kindly told me how it works and also how I can purchase his herbal product through his website www.drituaherbalcenter.com/shop.
    A week later the herbal medicines were shipped to me through courier service, I drank his herbal medicines for three weeks and I was healed, cured from Brain Tumor/Vaginal Cancer.
    It was so marvelous that even my friends with Breast/Prostate Cancer also contacted Dr Itua for herbal products and they are all cured as well with Dr Itua Herbal Medicines, I do not know how many Sick people are here today or who have not yet read this. I pray god should let you see this to know there is wellness for you. He guaranties me that he can cure the listed diseases below______Bladder cancer,Brain cancer,Hiv,Herpes,
    Esophageal cancer,Gallbladder cancer,Gestational trophoblastic disease,Head and neck cancer,Hodgkin lymphoma
    Intestinal cancer,Breast Cancer,Prostate Cancer,Brain Tumor,Kidney cancer,Hpv,Tach Diseases,Leukemia,Liver cancer,Lung cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,Adrenal cancer.Bile duct cancer,Bone cancer ,Multiple myeloma,Neuroendocrine tumors
    Non-Hodgkin lymphoma,Oral cancer,Ovarian cancer,Sinus cancer,Hepatitis A,B/C,Skin cancer,Soft tissue sarcoma,Wart Removal,Lupus,Spinal cancer,Stomach cancer
    Testicular cancer,Throat cancer,Thyroid Cancer,Uterine cancer,Fibroid,Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Brain Tumor,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progres Sclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Chronic Diarrhea,Copd,Parkinson,Als,Adrenocortical carcinoma Infectious mononucleosis. Vaginal cancer,Vulvar cancer
    Dr Itua Herbal Center Contact,Email: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete