Sunday, October 23, 2022

AND THE MUSIC GOES ‘ROUND AND ‘ROUND….

 

 
 
 


 

                                      

                            

          
                                      




 

Once a month a Gympie friend phones for a chat…a lengthy chat.  He and I first met circa 1960.  He was…still is…four years older than me.

In the late 50s he, along with four mates, formed a band.  Immediately they became very popular. Their group, “The Starbrites” played many gigs throughout Gympie and surrounding areas, as well as sharing their music with crowds at well-known Brisbane venues.  Their repertoire consisted pop, rock, country, and ballads, all of which the group played with free-spirited, professional aplomb.

Upon leaving high school to join the “working world”, weekly, often bi-weekly, I attended the local dances and record hops.  A regular on the dance floor, I loved to dance.  My friends and I waltzed, fox-trotted, twisted, limbo-ed, and be-bop-a-lula-ed every chance we got. We made sure we never missed a chance to dance. 

I had a secret crush on the The Starbrites’ handsome young drummer.  The furtive looks he flashed my way as I tripped the light fantastic, without ever tripping over, showed he had similar feelings towards me. We never acted on our hidden desires, though.  Love at arms’ length it was.

More than three decades later, shortly after my brother Graham’s passing, my teenage crush and I chatted on the phone.  It was the first time we’d talked in many a long year. During our conversation he told me the reason our romance never got off the ground…or the dance floor. 

Unknown by me at the time, my brother Graham, having sensed the beating of our hearts, warned my admirer off!  Graham figured part of his role as an older brother was to keep would-be suitors at bay.  My brother might have believed my welfare was his priority, but if I’d wanted to be cloistered I would’ve become a nun, but of that, I would have none!

Music played a major role throughout our childhood. Our piano was rarely idle. Sing-a-longs around it were frequent. The piano was gifted to our grandparents on their wedding day. The steel-framed Irving Upright had belonged to an aunty of our grandfather.  As mentioned in previous posts, our mother was brilliant pianist.  With nimble fingers that effortlessly flew up and down the key board, Mum mastered all genres of music….with or without help of sheet music.  

My brother loved to tease. I wasn’t his sole target.  Often after dinner I’d attack the ebony and ivory, while Nana, lost in a world of her own, continued to fiddle about in the kitchen.  Most nights Mum would be working.  Through the years she worked long hours as a barmaid.  Many chilly winter early morns Mum also picked beans on farms in the Gympie area.  

Our kitchen was within close proximity to where the piano stood.  After I’d played a few tunes, on cue, Graham and I, with mischievous twinkles in our eyes, would nod in silent accord.  I’d then begin playing “Love Letters in the Sand”…a song that was first released decades before in 1931; a song, which through the years had been resurrected many times, most notably, and successfully, by Pat Boone in the late 50s.

Without fail, after playing only a couple of notes, Nana’s sweet voice would fill the air as she sang along unaware….completely oblivious…she was doing so. That is, until Graham and I broke out into loud laughter.  She’d then realise we’d tricked her once again,  Nana would shake her head in feigned annoyance, before bursting into joyful laughter.  Each and every time I began playing “Love Letters in the Sand” Nana would burst into song and, once again, our devious plan had worked.  A happy memory it is.

The last time I played the piano, any piano, was in 1974, the day after our mother passed away.  Before leaving to fly back to Brisbane, with Nana sitting close by in quiet reverie, I played some of Mum’s favourites, which included,“On the Sunny Side of the Street”, “Walking My Baby Back Home”, “Ain’t Misbehavin’”…and her all-time favourite… Hoagy Carmichael’s, “Stardust”.

With Nana’s passing two years later. In 1976, Graham gave the piano to a Mackay pre-school.  I hope the piano continued to bring years of joy to the children.  Who knows?  Perhaps, it still is...

My musical Gympie mate who rings me monthly (he rang me on Saturday just gone, and once again, we covered a lot of territory, and shared lots of laughs) still plays guitar and sings.  He’s constantly updating his catalogue of songs because he regularly visits Gympie’s aged care facilities to entertain the residents. 

The Starbrites broke up many years ago. My friend is the last man standing, but the music goes on. and on.  It’s wonderful he is still, to this day, at the age he is now, sharing his talent, and love of music with others…selflessly brightening their lives.

 

Green Bean Salad: Combine 500g cooked, fresh green beans, 330g Three-Bean mix, 1 chopped red capsicum and 1 sliced onion.  Mix together, ½c x-virgin olive oil, 3tbs vinegar, 2tbs brown sugar, 1/2tsp mustard powder, 2 crushed garlic cloves and 1tsp dried basil leaves. Pour over bean mix; chill for a few hours.

Beans & Tomato Salad: Trim 500g green beans; leave whole. Cook in boiling water until crisp tender, 3-5mins. Don’t overcook. Drain; cool. Cut away core of 6 tomatoes; cut into wedges.  Use a punnet of whole cherry tomatoes, if preferred,  In salad bowl, combine 2tbs Dijon mustard, 2tbs red wine vinegar, 4tbs finely chopped shallots, 1tbs finely chopped garlic, 4tbs x-olive oil, salt and freshly ground pepper.  Add beans and tomatoes; toss well; sprinkle with 4tbs coarsely chopped basil.

Almondine Beans: Steam 500g fresh green beans until just tender. Meanwhile in a pan, melt 3tbs butter.  Add 1tsp crushed garlic, 1-1/2tbs lemon juice and 1/3c sliced almonds. Sauté, stirring frequently until almonds are slightly browned.  Be careful not to overcook the garlic. Add beans to serving dish; pour butter and almond mix over top

 






29 comments:

  1. Music can have so many sweet memories! I'm glad your friend is still using his music to brighten lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi messymimi...Yes, I think it's quite wonderful that, at the age of 82 years, my friend is still sharing what he loves to do with others. I am sure he is much-loved by his audiences. :)

      Music does stir up many emotions...it does for me.

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  2. How lovely that he is still using his talent to benefit himself - and others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is, EC....He has always been a very nice, decent, down to earth fellow. I'm feel proud to have him as a friend...and one from so many years ago.

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  3. Lovely memories there Lee and your late brother looking after you back then, if he hadn't you may have had a different journey in your wife.
    Love the piano, I still play mine at times, not as much as I used to though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Margaret. Big brother could be a pain in the proverbial at times. lol We had our moments, but we both had each other's backs, too. Graham passed away in 1998...to young at the age of 56... I miss him...and I always will.

      I love piano...even though I no longer play. It's a wonderful instrument.

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  4. A brother acting as a chaperone seems a little over the top, but well intentioned no doubt. It's good to look back on our childhood once in a while. Events that happened so long ago can seem as vivid as if they occurred yesterday. And perhaps for a few moments you were able to cut loose on a dance floor one more time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David....Our father played no role in our childhood...he flew the coop very early in the piece,. We were raised by our mother, and her mother, our Nana... Graham felt he needed to step up, and into the role of "the man of the house". His heart was in the right place...even if at the wrong time. :)

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  5. I think Pat Boone is still alive. I also copied your first recipe - it looks delicious! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Sandra....Pat Boone is still alive. He certainly faded into the background. We never hear anything of him these days.

      Enjoy the recipe...take good care, and thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  6. This was a delightful trip back in time, Lee, and how nice that you and your friend still keep in touch with phone chats. The drummer was certainly a handsome fellow so I can see your adoration and phooey on your brother's well meaning caution to him back then. The Pat Boone recording made me wonder if this was a favorite tune of yours or did you just like the artist? He is still alive and quite often I listen to a 50s throwback show he does on Sirius radio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Beatrice...Yes, Rod, the drummer was good-looking. He had lovely eyes. His younger sister and I had piano lessons from the same piano teacher....Miss Alice Gidley!

      I consider myself fortunate to still have long-standing friends...some from my early school days, and one very special one from when I was three and a half years old...or young!! :)

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
    2. Beatrice...further to "favourite tune". I liked it, but it was more a favourite of Nana's. That's why I'd always play it. She just couldn't help but sing along with it every time! lol

      Delete
  7. I must be in your spam folder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found your comment, River...as you can see below.

      I, too, was shy, but I fought against it, and won. I believed I'd miss out on too much if I let my shyness win. Mum and Nana told me years later that at one point, before I left school, Mum feared my shyness would make me miss out on so much. The shyness is still lurking in the shadows, but I still don't let it win.

      I made my own clothes. It was after I left school, at the age of 15 years did I start going to the dances. The beat of the music was a great dance teacher...and observing others. Mum also coached me some...waltz, foxtrot etc.

      I read a lot, too...reading was a favoured pastime then, and now...and throughout my early childhood. Reading was encouraged from a young age. Books played a major role, as did movies.


      QUOTE: I remember the weekly dances. I never went, being too shy and having no party clothes, also not having learnt any of the new dances or even the old ones. But I used to hear the girls talking at school on the Mondays, who wore what, who danced with whom, the whispered gossip when someone dared to wear a red lipstick when most of the girls still wore pink shades. it was fun to listen to and I never really wanted to go to the dances anyway. I'd rather read a book.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  8. ah music brings back so many memories to me, my mom used to play music when we were falling asleep and somehow I think my love of music stems from those times, as if the music permeated me while I fell asleep

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Linda....ahhh, yes...music ....life would be very empty without it. And, the love for it created in our childhood remains through the years, stirring varied emotions.

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  9. Isn't it wonderful how the very thought of an artist can bring back vivid memories. I've been smiling remembering how my girlfriend and I thought is was so funny that her older brother sang "A white sports coat and a pink carnation" over and over, day after day - as if he would have ever worn a white sports coat. Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! Boy! That song brings back memories, too, Pauline. The LP was in our collection, too. It sure was a popular song back then. As was his, Marty Robbins "Gunfighter Ballads & Trail Songs". That album was so popular at the time. Great memories! :)

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  10. Music and dancing make life worth living. Certain songs and dances bring back valuable, unforgettable memories stirring strong emotions in our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So very true, DUTA. Frequently tears fill my eyes when I hear certain songs, pieces of music...from opera, classical through to modern, pop, jazz etc.

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  11. Hey, Dave...Firstly, I'm glad you contacted your mate, and that he, in return, responded. :)

    "Jealousy" was another of my mother's favourites to play. She played like the wonderful Fats Waller and Winifred Atwell...if you recall them. From classicals through, Mum was expert at them all. I never had the natural gift she did, but I enjoyed playing when I did...all those years ago.

    There was so much good music around (and that good music still remains...and will continue doing so long after much of todays).

    Take good care....keep polishing those keys! Thanks for coming by :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Music plays an important part of our lives; it connects us in so many ways ...

    Loved your recipes here :)

    Happy November wishes, where has this year gone?

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! I have no idea where this year has flown to, Jan...It certainly is passing by at a rapid rate of knots...to rapid! I'm glad it's not only me who feels this to be so. I keep trying to put the brakes on...but to no avail! :)

      Music is important in our lives...the rhythm of the heart...how it stirs our emotions, the happy, and the sad. So many memories are attached to music.

      Take good care...thanks for coming by.

      Delete
  13. Nothing feeds the soul like music, does it, Lee? Those green beans look sooo yummy. Have a joyous one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's for sure,Sandra. It's fodder for our soul. :)

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  14. He Was handsome! My crush was...Ringo...Lolol...well, I thought he was adorable, and he certainly made a handsome man!
    Love the recipes sweet lady!
    hughugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Donna. Rodney, the drummer, and I became friends...but nothing more than platonic friends. He was a very nice fellow.

      Nothing wrong with having a crush on Ringo...what a star! :)

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete