Friday, November 11, 2022

LITTERERS LITERALLY LITTER!

 

Newry Island
                                             
The northern rear end of Newry Island and the narrow channel between it and Rabbit Island

 

Annette Kellermann

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20171101-the-amazing-life-of-australias-million-dollar-mermaid

 



On the subject of litter one shouldn’t be a fence-sitter. Perhaps the minds of some are filled with litter because they fritter away too much time on twitter.  

I can’t help but get angry when I see rubbish defacing our landscape. The other day I’d driven only a few metres along Main Western Road, which is just around the corner from where I dwell, before I spotted an empty can marring the scenery…one can too many. The ignorant transmitter of the litter had wantonly, in passing, tossed the can out a car window.  

If only the twits who litter realised they don’t need the brain of an Einstein to understand dumping their garbage in bins where it belongs is what should be done. It’s simple, really..  Brain surgery isn’t required to figure it out, and not a lot of energy is needed to do the job. 

Maybe the litterbugs do need brain surgery; instead of eating chips, and thoughtlessly tossing emptied packets out car windows, an anti-littering chip could be inserted into their brain! 

It’s easy to become embittered by the thoughtless behavior of litterers.  Along with the no fence-sitting, there’s no hairsplitting regarding the folly of littering.  How I wish the litter critters would become quitters!  There are no withdrawal symptoms.

In the mid-80s when I was manager of the now non-existent resort at Cape Richards, Hinchinbrook Island, the National Park Rangers, who patrolled and maintained the visitors’ facilities e.g walking tracks etc., whose duties included the management of marine-life, wildlife, vegetation et al, decided to try a previously untried experiment at Macushla, a camping area in Missionary Bay, on the north-east side of the island, between the resort and the mainland. 

Bins were supplied for campers to dispose of their waste, but most of the rubbish ended scattered about on the ground than in the bins. The rangers discovered native wildlife (not of the human kind) was the culprit. Scavenging among the bins looking for food, dispersing the refuse everywhere but in the bins provided, four-legged, furry critters, and resident goannas (monitor lizards) were the offenders.

The rangers’ unusual trial was to remove the bins.  Secretly, I didn’t believe their experiment would succeed. I gave it one chance in 10 million of working. However, much…very much… to my surprise, succeed it did!

Strangely, visitors, seeing there were no rubbish bins available, took their waste with them when they left. In turn, the wildlife no longer had bins through which to rifle. Sadly, these days it appears, with the amount of litter carelessly discarded where it shouldn’t be, human behavior has changed drastically over the past three decades…and   
not for the better.

A bad example of littering is the behavior of some amateur fishermen in their tinnies. Those who take along a carton of beer-filled stubbies to quench their thirst while dropping a line. After downing the beer, they throw the lethal glass weapons overboard.  Those glass weapons are not just a mere drop in the ocean! I don’t understand their mindset. If they can take beer-filled cartons out with them, why can’t they take the empty bottles home rather than toss them into the ocean? 

Every morning before I began my day when I looked after the small, humble resort on Newry Island, north-east of Seaforth, north of Mackay, I strolled along the water’s edge scouring the beach for broken glass. Unfortunately, too often I found what I was looking for.

Nowadays, only ruins of the buildings are left on what was once one of the earliest resorts in the area. Newry Island National Park lies within the Great Barrier Reef World Heritage Area. 

Previously I’ve told the tale about Annette Kellermann whose brother, along with his wife, in the 1930s, lived on the island.  Kellerman, a professional swimmer, vaudeville star, film actress and writer often visited during his tenure. 

As the story goes, Annette swam, probably more than once, from the island across to Seaforth, and return. Not a difficult feat considering in 1905, at the age of 19, she attempted to swim the English Channel. 

The 1952 movie, “Million Dollar Mermaid”, starring Esther Williams in the role of Annette Kellerman, is a biographical film of the life of the Aussie star.  For those reading this who are members of younger generations than mine, “Google” both ladies…interesting lives they led.

Freely, honestly, and literally, I admit I’m far from perfect in every manner, shape and form…but a litterer I am not.  Don’t you be, either….

 

Sweet Potato Fritters: Preheat oven 200C. Peel and grate 2 medium sweet potatoes. Squeeze out as much liquid as possible; put into bowl. Add 100g crumbled feta, a handful finely chopped shallot stalks, 1-2tsps smoked paprika, 1tsp garlic-infused oil and 1/4tsp chilli flakes. Add 3 beaten eggs and 80g flour of choice. Mix well. Form into patties; place on oil-sprayed lined baking tray; spray patties lightly with oil. Bake, 25-30mins. Flip over halfway through. Serve with Avocado Dip: Place ½ large avo, 1/4c plain Greek yoghurt, 10 basil leaves and salt to taste in blender.  Blend on med-low until smooth.

Vegetable Fritters: Place 2c shredded zucchini in colander; sprinkle lightly with salt; let sit 10mins; then squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Transfer to bowl; add 2c shredded carrots, 2 minced garlic cloves, 2/3rd c plain flour, 2 lightly beaten eggs, 1/3rd c sliced shallots (green & white parts), 1/4tsp salt and 1/8tsp pepper. Heat 2tbs olive oil in large pan. Scoop mounds of mix into pan; flatten slightly; space at least 1cm apart. Cook 2-3mins; flip once; cook further 1-2mins. Drain on paper-towel-lined plate; serve topped with sour cream or yoghurt.

Peach Fritters: Heat oil in pan on a med-heat. In bowl, whisk 1/2c sour cream and ½ whole milk. Add 2tsp baking powder, 1/2tsp salt, 2 egg, 3tbs sugar, 1/2tsp cinnamon; beat until it comes together.  Add 1-1/2c plain flour and 2tbs melted butter; don’t over-mix. Fold in 3 or 4 chopped peaches. Drop 1 or 2 heaped tbs of batter into hot oil; fry about 2-3mins per side. Don’t over-crowd. Drizzle glaze made with 1/2c icing sugar mixed with 1tbs milk over cooked fritters.   

 


26 comments:

  1. I am no litterer and raised my children the same. I wonder if there is a refund on the beer bottles that might encourage the litterers to bring them back to shore for a few dollars towards their next purchase?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Common sense and decency are the only incentives needed, River...or should be. Laziness and thoughtlessness are rife.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  2. A good post, Lee, but only those of us who do not litter would be reading it because those who do litter would not even be conscious you meant them.

    And, since you mentioned it in your comment on my recent post, sending my best wishes to you for a Happy 🎂 year🎉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhh! Thanks for your good wishes, Beatrice. :)

      You are correct...litterers would have no clue. Clues on what is the correct behaviour are unknown by them.

      Thanks for coming by...take care. :)

      Delete
  3. Just hate rubbish not in bins anywhere and the bins overflowing. The animals do have a great time in the NP's but now the bins are improved so the animals can't get in them so easily..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will never understand why people litter, Margaret....pure ignorance and laziness!

      Thanks for coming by...take care. :)

      Delete
  4. I loathe litterers. Sadly they are legion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too, EC. They breed faster than rabbits do, I think! Thanks for coming by...take care. :)

      Delete
  5. Yes ... It is so important to be careful with our resources and to make sure that we produce little waste ourselves... i.e. to reuse things as much as possible instead of throwing them away.
    I also find it difficult to tolerate garbage in nature.
    Thank you for the contribution about Annette Kellermann, I watched an excerpt of the film :-))) Many greetings to you from Viola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hellow Barwitzki...Yes...the history surrounding Annette Kellermann is very interesting...The last years of her life were spent back here in Australia, living on the Gold Coast.

      Thanks for coming by..take care. :)

      Delete
  6. Littering is not only socially inappropriate and quite disgusting, it also contributes greatly to pollution of land and water. You would think that in 2022, in an advanced western democracy, it would be self-evident that littering is not appropriate, but that is obviously not the case. It's scary that these same morons vote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too many don't give a damn what is socially appropriate, unfortunately, David. And, yes, they and their actions are disgusting. Slow learners who are too involved in themselves.

      Thanks for coming by...take care. :)

      Delete
  7. Many many years ago (back in the 50s - yes that many years ago) walking down the street I ate a toffee but as I was putting the paper wrapper in my pocket it dropped on the ground. Before I could pick it up it blew away so I shrugged my shoulders and carried on walking - remember I was a teenager at the time. Next thing I hear is “litter lout” being yelled at me from across the road and some ‘old man’ is waving his hands in the air at me. I’ve never forgotten that and even though it wasn’t intentional I felt as though I’d done something wrong. It really made an impression on my young mind…..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Cathy....moments like that do stick, even though it wasn't an intentional action...still the memory lingers.

      Thanks for coming by...take care. :)

      Delete
  8. Sadly, everything, including littering, is deteriorating. Perhaps,only a decline in consumption might bring about a change in human behavior. Till then, let's enjoy your frutters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, DUTA....human behaviour certainly isn't improving and from all accounts is becoming worse. Humans are slow learners. We should hear more about the good in the world, I think, and less promotion of the bad, the evil!

      Thanks for coming by...enjoy the fritters...take care. :)

      Delete
  9. Oh my goodness they have some different names of beaches there. I made a copy of the vegie fritter I plan on making them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And there are lots of beaches here, Sandra! :)

      Thanks for coming by...take care. :)

      Delete
  10. Those fritters look and sound delish. Funny about the critters doing the littering. I always wonder where the plastics go that is taken from the sea. YOU take special care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra...the rubbish carelessly dumped by humans is banking up day by day. It sure is a major problem.

      Thanks for coming by...take care. :)

      Delete
  11. Litter is awful, and i do not understand the people who just throw things around like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fail to understand them, too, messymimi. Ignorance and laziness personified!

      Thanks for coming by...take care. :)

      Delete
  12. Litter can be (and is) a problem.
    I was raised not to litter, my children the same and now the grandchildren too.

    Those fritters look good.

    ... I think you may have recently had a birthday.
    Many happy birthday wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We, too, were raised to not litter, Jan. It's simple really, isn't it? But for some, it is a major problem...because of their laziness and ignorance.

      Yes...Remembrance Day is my birthday! As if I need remember these days!! I try to forget! lol

      Thanks for coming by...take care. :)

      Delete
  13. Roadsides littered with the thrown out junk of passersby just turns my stomach. I just can't understand it.
    I think I'll try some veggie fritters real soon.
    Of all the movies I've seen over the years there are few that I can remember much about but I do remember that Ester Williams movie, maybe because I saw it at the drive-in (at Boondall) on one of my very first dates.
    And happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your birthday wish, Pauline. :)

      I will never understand why some folk litter. There is no excuse.

      When my late brother and I were kids, we loved the "pictures" as we called movies back then, never missing Saturday matinees, and other showings. We loved Esther Williams' movies...and one time we watched "Million Dollar Mermaid" sitting in the backyard of an old shack down at Tin Can Bay...we'd gone there with Mum and Nana for a fishing, crabbing and oyster-gathering weekend. Across from the shack was an open air picture "theatre". Graham and I sat out there, with a 44 gallon drum of burning manure as a means of trying to keep the mozzies and sandflies at bay at the Bay! We could hardly hear the dialogue...but that didn't matter! lol

      I'd not thought about that night in ages!

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete