Wednesday, January 04, 2023

AND THAT’S THE WAY IT IS…

 



{Firstly, my apologies to fellow bloggers for being missing in non-action, and not responding on your blogs. My heart and mind have been in turmoil, smothered by sadness. I’ve not been feeling 100%....run-down and weary.  Hopefully soon I’ll pick up my swag and shake off the blues.  Please accept my apologies.  Thank you for your kind, thoughtful comments on my previous posts}

 

Maybe the world should stand still for a day to allow mankind to take stock…for humans.to stop spinning out of control in so many sectors.  And, let’s not kid our self; mankind is spinning out of control, every which way, everywhere. Many humans need to take a very good look at their behavior and seriously consider immediate changes.  We’d certainly be knocked off balance, if only for one day, there were no wars, no deaths, no murders, break-ins, robberies, no violence.  How wonderful it would be.  A turn-around could start from just that one day….I know I’m a dreamer….

As I’ve mentioned previously, by choice, I’m a hermit, a recluse. I keep to myself, doing my best to not bother others. Those who know me respect the way I am. In return, I respect them for their understanding. A humble, simple life I lead, by choice.  I am alone, but not lonely.

I may sound like a Grinch, like Scrooge…a mixture of both perhaps.  I can’t deny I am glad the Festive Season is over. In no way was I in a festive mood. I’m not a religious person, but, to me, it appears the true meaning of Christmas has been lost…it no longer exists.

The amount of greed shown…buy, buy, buy…spend, spend, spend…eat, eat, eat sickened and angered me. It was relentless.  

Exhausted by many tears shed over the loss of my beloved male cat, Remy on the 27th November, four weeks prior to Christmas day, festivities were the last things on my mind. I spent my time with Remy’s sister, Shama.  Giving each other comfort, she and I share our grief.  We lost our best mate.  For 20 years we were like the Three Musketeers.  20 years is a long time…and, not long enough. 

Some might think it silly of me to be so sad of the loss of my cat, but that’s okay.  Each to their own, as the saying goes.  Remy was always interested in what I ate. What was mine was his, too, he believed.  Shama doesn’t care.  When I bought a BBQ chicken it was always to share with him.  He loved barbecued chicken and, to his delight, dined on his share for a couple of days.  His share was always more than mine!  It will be a long time, if ever, before I buy a BBQ chicken again.

I’ve been suffering from the “Six Degrees of Ds”…deflated, defeated, downhearted, disgusted, disheartened, depressed.  If I could work out how to bend my leg backwards, and flick it up high, I’d kick myself in the butt. If I tried the kicking trick, what a sight to behold it would be! There’s no point trying to fool myself, or anyone else.   Freely, I admit calisthenics aren’t for me.

To add to the bells, baubles, whistles, streamers, tinsel, and constant, non-stop urging to over-indulge, Boxing Day sales began before the actual day, and continued at length thereafter. Amidst the mayhem, people queued up at 2.30 am Boxing Day at the doors of shopping centre stores. How ridiculous!  If that’s not an example of greed, I don’t know what is! I thought everyone was supposed to be broke.   

On top of everything else, Hot Cross buns appeared on supermarket shelves the day after Boxing Day. The madness and greed continues. It turns my stomach. As much as I love Hot Cross buns, out of principle there is no way I’ll purchase them until Easter.  I never do, and I never will.

See!  I told you I was a Grinch. You thought I was kidding didn’t you? Maybe if we all took a few paces back, paused for a while, we might realise, understand, and appreciate the simple things life.  And the best things…the simple things in life…are free….

I didn't see the New Year in, preferring to shut down and go to sleep early.  I could see no point in prolonging, dragging out what had been a shitty year.

Stop, and take time to smell the roses, orange blossoms, fresh air…My wish is that 2023 is kind to everyone in every way.  Everyone has to play his and her part to help make it happen…Happy New Year!

 

22 comments:

  1. I didn't see the New Year in either, sort of. I went to bed early, but was only half asleep when I was woken by fireworks at midnight then kept awake by noisy neighbours upchucking until I eventually fell asleep around 4am. These days I am almost as reclusive as you, going out daily to get a newspaper and other essentials and staying in for the rest of the day. I try to not let the craziness of the world worry me, but it isn't easy. I still hope this year will be better though, what else can we do apart from hope? Give Shama extra cuddles from me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi River...I usually only go out once a week...to the supermarket and adjoining newsagency. It's difficult to escape all the craziness that goes on here in our own country and in the rest of the world, try though we may try to do so.

      I will give extra cuddles to Shama from you...thank you. She continues to howl, loudly, at length and often. Something she never did when Remy was alive. It breaks my heart when she does so.
      Thanks for coming by, River...take good care. :)

      Delete
  2. The New Year came in without me, though I woke when the fireworks started. I have avoided the sales. As usual.
    I feel for you and Shama. It is a very, very hard time for you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't woken by any fireworks. I imagine some were let off here on the mountain. I avoid all huge shopping centres all the time. I only ever frequent the local small centre here on the hill...for grocery items, papers and magazines. There is no way I would want to battle the craziness. I've no need or reason to do so.

      Thanks for your kindness, EC. Take good care...I hope 2023 is kind to you and your loved oes. :)

      Delete
  3. I also have had a shitty year as in too many deaths...but there was also a bright spot for me when our greatgran was born. Life is about balance I suppose...I am SO heartfully sorry for the loss of your Remy...I feel your pain, truly. I'm still trying to scrape myself up off the floor, these days...because I can't see the Sun from down here...or feel the breeze on my face. I'm sick of sadness...
    Sending you a huge hug my friend...I'm told it gets better...we'll see.
    hughugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My life is very off-balance at present, Donna. Hopefully, soon I will regain my footing. There is very little sun down here in the dumps where I am, either. I, too, am sick and tired of sadness.

      Thank you for your kind words...they mean a lot. Take good care...may 2023 be kind to you. :)
      Delete

      Delete
  4. I deeply understand your sad mood following the death of your cat Remy. Hopefully, year 2023 will bring you joy and happiness. Hugs and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, DUTA...let's hope 2023 is a better year...we sure are in need of a good year...not only here in this country but elsewhere throughout the world.

      Thanks for coming...take good care... :)

      Delete
  5. I was watching other television shows New Year's Eve.
    My daughter took the loss of Disco the same exact way you are dealing with Remy. Everyone deals with grief in their own way. No one way is right.
    I am so sorry for your loss.
    Hugs across the pond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandie. I didn't watch any of the New Year celebrations...just wasn't in the mood.

      Thank you, Sandie...take good care...best wishes to you and your loved ones for 2023.

      Delete
  6. I can understand your very sad mood following the death of Remy.
    Sending a virtual hug as you come to terms with your loss
    Not an easy thing to do but time can lessen the pain.
    Remember the happy times, I'm sure Remy and indeed Sharma would want you to smile

    My very good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    PS On Boxing Day, here in the UK, we had Easter Eggs appear in some of our supermarkets!!! Madness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Jan...It is madness that Easter products should arrive so soon, so early on the shelves.

      Shama is sticking very close to me, and is quite demanding...but I understand her constant need to be near and for attention...and I give it to her.

      Thank you for your kindness...take good care...all the very best for 2023.

      Delete
  7. Lee, there is no need to apologize as friends know grief is overwhelming and you have suffered a deep loss. I agree with what you said that the true meaning of the holiday has become lost in the frenzy of shopping, eating, partying. As much as we talk of love, peace, and joy there are hard to come by but they are priceless and the best gifts that money cannot buy. I have seen Valentine’s Day cards/candies in stores that 2 weeks ago had holiday items and I suspect Easter will be close behind (sigh). I also like that you said being alone does not mean being lonely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greed seems to be overtaking the world, along with too many other vices. I find myself continually ducking for cover for the deluge.

      Thanks for your kind words, Beatrice...take good care...my best wishes to you and your family. :)

      Delete
  8. There’s not much more for me to say Lee other than there are loads of these ((((HUGS)))) coming up the coast to you. Many of your friends know the emotional toll the loss of a companion animal takes on their owner so you have all of us hoping you and Shama can understand how sad we are for you both
    Take care of yourself and your darling one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a difficult time for me, Cathy. I'm a big sook...but I can't change who and what I am. Remy was a big sook, too, and he loved me so very much...as much as I adored him.

      All the best to you and your loved ones for 2023. Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  9. Best wishes for the New Year, Lee. Life ambushed me in 2022 so have not been around the traps much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! Lee...it's so great to hear from you. You have been missed. I'm sorry to hear that 2022 was a shitty year for you. I wish you all the best that life can give you in 2023. Keep your chin up, my dear. You are not forgotten.

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  10. I have been thinking about you every day when I passed through and saw no new posting. I know your grief and hope you are kind to yourself on your travels through it. I am with you, too. My last sibling died late in September and her husband committed suicide on New Years Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! Dear! I am so, so sorry, Peace Thyme. Try to hold you head up high, through all the dark moments...and I know there are many. My warmest, most sincerest hugs and best thoughts are with you. Please, please, take good care of yourself.

      Delete
  11. I will never think of you as a Grinch. YOu are a smart, talented, loving person with a lot of life stories to share. I am on the edge of losing my precious Slim and know my heart will be wounded when the day comes that she is gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Annie. Your friendship is treasured by me. Hold dear Slim close....keep telling her how much you love her. Please give her extra cuddles from me. Take good care.

      Delete