Saturday, February 18, 2023

IMAGINATION IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN KNOWLEDGE….

 


A scene from "The Blue Lagoon" starring Jean Simmons and Donald Houston

                                           
                                       Looking across from Outer Newry Island to Newry Island

 



 

Stop jumping up and down.  I’m quoting...repeating something I read somewhere.

Point your fingers at Albert Einstein, not me. He is the guilty one. In a 1929 interview dear Albert, in reply to a question, stated; “I am enough of the artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles (embraces) the world. 

A couple of years later Einstein repeated his belief, confirming what he imagined to be true. He embellished upon his original utterance by adding; “stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution. It is, strictly speaking, a real factor in scientific research.”

My imagination ran free and unfettered when I was a kid.  As an aside, sadly, I do believe children of my generation enjoyed running free and unrestrained outdoors more often than present generations do. Our imagination had no boundaries. My imagination was fueled, too, by my love of books/reading, and for never missed movies at Saturday afternoon matinees.

The original Jean Simmons-Donald Houston 1949 version of “The Blue Lagoon” (which, by no stretch of the imagination, was far better than the 1980 Brooke Shields-Christopher Atkins version) stirred within me a desire to live on a tropical island.  To my delight, years later there I was living on a tropical island…e.g. Hinchinbrook Island.  On the island I wasn’t alone. I had staff sharing my daily adventures.  A couple of years later I landed on Newry Island. On Newry a lot of the time I was a female Robinson Crusoe, and Man Friday was missing in action every day of the week, not only on Fridays. Except for my two cats, Pushkin and Rimsky who shared my life at the time, and when guests came to enjoy the island’s ambience and my seafood barbecues, alone I was.  Pushkin and Rimsky loved the barbecues, too.

When I was a little girl my imagination was also triggered by “The Red Shoes”.  Frequently I imagined I was a ballerina like Moira Shearer aka “Victoria Page”, the lead character in the 1948 movie.  Many times I’ve watched “The Red Shoes”.  It remains, to this day, on my recorded list of movies.

A school mate and I knew our limitations.  Not once did we imagine we were Olympian sprinters like Shirley Strickland and Marjorie Jackson.  Our talent as athletes was non-existent.  Come the Gympie State High School annual sports day we high-tailed it to the female toilet block to hide out for the duration of the foot races.  To our dismay, a teacher, aware of our devious plan, discovered us shortly before the race was to commence. Knowing we didn’t have a chance in Hades in the foot race, my friend and I joined hands. We skipped along at the tail end of the race, giggling all the way.  Never in our wildest imaginings did we imagine we could have enjoyed a foot race so much as we did that one, that day.

John Lennon asked the question…”Imagine…”  We should reflect, and reflect often, upon the lyrics in the hope, with knowledge, humans could come together as one.  Imagine!

Imagination is wonderful, free, and infinite.  The quest for knowledge is limitless…an unquenchable thirst.  By blending the two one could become invincible…unstoppable.

In my imagination I win the lottery. What fun it would be if it came into fruition!  Perhaps if I allow my imagining free rein eventually my winning the lottery will become a reality!  Imagine! 

I wish it’d hurry up. I’m not getting any younger, which, of course, is not unique to me.  I’m not Benjamin Button, who was a figment of F. Scott Fitzgerald’s imagination.

 

Garlic Button Mushrooms: Mince  4-5 garlic cloves. In pan, heat 3tbs butter or olive oil over med-high heat; add 500g button mushrooms; cook 4-5mins, until mushrooms start to brown on bottom. Flip; cook 3mins without stirring.  Reduce heat to low. Add 1/2tsp onion powder, 1tsp smoked paprika. 1tsp Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Cook 1min.  Add garlic and 2tbs lemon juice; cook 1min, stirring frequently.  Adjust seasonings.

BBQ Moreton Bay Bugs: Prepare bugs; lay 8 bugs on their back; using scissors make incision at base of tail, being careful not to pierce flesh; then cut along either side of shell covering the abdomen. Remove and discard shell to reveal the flesh. Parsley Butter; place 200g softened butter, 1/4c chopped parsley, 1tsp black pepper and 2 minced garlic cloves in bowl with 1tsp salt flakes. Heat bbq or char-grill pan to med-high heat. Add 3 halved limes, flesh side down; grill 5mins, or until blackened; set aside.  Add bugs, belly-side up; spread 1tbs parsley butter over flesh. Cook, (covered with foil if using grill pan), 10-12mins, or until bugs are cooked through; arrange on platter with limes, and remaining butter. Sprinkle with parsley to serve.

BBQ Prawns with Mango Salsa: Grab some prawns; thread 3 peeled, with heads and tails intact prawns onto each skewer. Process 3 chopped mangoes, 2 chopped long red chilies, 4 sliced spring onions, 2 chopped eschalots, 1 bunch each chopped coriander and mint leaves, 80ml white wine vinegar and 80ml olive oil until roughly chopped; season. Transfer half salsa to bowl; set aside. Process remaining salsa with 2tbs oil and 2tbs vinegar until smooth; pour over prawns; marinate 2hrs in fridge. Heat bbq to high; cook prawns 3mins each side; season; serve with reserved salsa.   

 

 


 

29 comments:

  1. In my imagination I also win Lotto and feel the joy of sharing the riches with my family. I do wish it could come true, I only need it once. I remember my imagination running free as a child too, many times riding my bike through the dusk on my way home I'd be a spy hurrying to a meeting point to divulge the information I had gathered. Days at the beach when in the water I was a remarkable "fish girl" who could breathe under water and live as a mermaid would. high up in trees, I would be in the crows nest of a pirate ship searching for the island we had buried the treasure on.
    I agree the original "Blue Lagoon" is far better than the later remake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi River...winning the Lotto would be great. I don't need a lot, but I sure would have a lot of fun helping others...without any fanfare...done on the quiet between them and me. I dream about it often...very often.

      I used to imagine I was Cat Woman when I was a kid. She was one of many characters...but one of my most favourite. :) So much fun was had...and enjoyed.

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  2. Remember, though, if you want to win that lottery, you have to go buy a ticket!

    It can be a wonderful blessing to have a good imagination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! I regularly buy tickets, messymimi...you've got to be in it, to win it. :)

      Thanks for coming by...take care. :)

      Delete
  3. I like Einstein's portrait. It's special like the Man. I also like the video with Lenon's song on 'imagine....Both the melody and the lyrics are outstanding!
    Wishing you Good Luck with the lottery ticket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, DUTA...It's nice to dream...and dream I do about winning the lottery! :)

      I like that sketch of Einstein, too. I've always liked the song, too...it never grows old.

      Take care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  4. It's good to have a good imagination, see and one of yours came true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly helps...even more so these days when the world is full of so much...too much...gloom and doom, Margaret.

      Thanks for coming by ...take care. :)

      Delete
  5. I too have dreams about the lotto and what I would do with it.
    The mushrooms and shrimp look soooooooooooooooo good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day. Sandie...One day...soon...I hope it happens to us both! Finger crossed, my dear! :)

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  6. Oh! I have to watch the 1949 version! Loved Blue Lagoon.
    I love to imagine things...like a plate full of fried shrimp! Lolol
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donna... I hope you can find the 1949 version... I fell in love with it when I was a kid...and saw the movie more than once.

      Now you've got me imagining a plate full of fried prawns! lol

      Take care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  7. My family accuses me of living my life in imagination like it's a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not a bad thing, Annie. Tell them they are the ones who are missing out! :)

      Take care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  8. What a great post. Where would we be without imagination. The HH and I have already planned out how we'd spend our lottery winnings.Hehe. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I, too, have planned out how I'm going to spend my winnings, Sandra! It's good to plan ahead! lol

      Thanks for coming by...take care. :)

      Delete
  9. Hi Lee, I cannot imagine life without an imagination. I did in fact imagine I was a champion sprinter like Shirley Strickland and Marjorie Jackson. I had to jig my imagination a bit to cope with the fact that my two best friends could run faster than I could. So they had to become mysterious Europeans so I could beat them. They would, however, revert to being Aussies for the relays. I was a very busy athlete in my imagination. I could also swim like Dawn Fraser. Thanks for sending me down memory lane!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lee, many of us may imagine winning the lottery, the problem is that we fail to actually buy a ticket so we would even have a chance. I have never thought of how I would spend a windfall, yet I have imaged many other things like losing weight, traveling more. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beatrice...I always buy lotto tickets, every week, sometimes twice a week, sometimes three times a week. As I said above somewhere...you've got to be in it to win it. I will little bits here and there...and that's a bit of fun, too. Perhaps one day..... :)

      These days I've no desire to travel anywhere...I'm a real homebody...a hermit, more likely!

      Take care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Thanks for coming by...take care. :)

      Delete
  11. Oh I just love that song. And I agree with everything you've written about imagination. It goes hand in hand with freedom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Jenny....That is why Disney has been so popular, for so long...imagination! "The Walt Disney Company marks its 100th anniversary on October 16, 2023, and throughout the year, will celebrate the fans and storytellers who have sparked the joy and magic that is Disney over the last 100 years."

      Take care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  12. Oh and by the way your posts did turn up - they're moderated before publishing but lately I've been busy and not moderating often enough so it must look as if they disappeared into thin air. I'll try to do better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny. It's just that blogger has been playing lots of silly games lately...and it becomes frustrating. :)

      Delete
  13. "I do believe children of my generation enjoyed running free and unrestrained outdoors more often than present generations do. Our imagination had no boundaries." Certainly I feel sad for youngsters today who cannot run free outdoors. We all 'ran free' (so long as we were home for our mealtimes) and we were safe from bogeymen and traffic. We hunted for newts and made rafts on ponds (and one of my friends fell in and drowned). We cycled on bomb sites which made great 'dirt tracks' and came off and broke limbs (I was lucky I never did). However, I never had much imagination when it came to abstract things and, unfortunately, I still don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Graham...it's nice to see you.

      We were always told to play outside if we went to our friends' places to play...never to go inside...and to always come home when the father arrived home from work. We had tree houses...we had lots of fun...lots of adventures. :)

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  14. Imagination is a powerful force and should never be restrained, especially in young people as their minds develop. Sadly, children today are for the most part imprisoned by the strait jackets of social norms, political correctness and over-protective parents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, David. I think children of today are too controlled by their various devices, too. With their heads buried in, and eyes glued to their phones etc., their mind doesn't have the freedom to imagine, unfortunately.

      As for political-correctness, cancel-culture and the rest...don't get me started!!

      With the amount of youth crime occurring here in this state presently, I wish there were more protective parenting going on. I think the juvenile crime problem starts at home.

      Nice to see you...take care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  15. I stopped blogging because people I did not wish to read my thoughts were doing so. Therefore I went on the settings and stopped them and unfortunate for me everyone else. Not being a techno whiz I just stopped. Next I have given up FB for Lent. FB has become a list of signs and statements that someone other than the author thinks about. I wanted a view into the life and thoughts of my friends not a read a thon. Maybe folks do this in order to post quickly and without a chance of back lash. I admit I have posted some of these as they fit my mood at the moment. If not blogging myself at least I get to read the nice work of friends such as you. My Senior English Professor in college, Dr. Frank Young told me after a paper I had written that he had a hard time keeping a cap on my imagination as we argued over the merits of my paper. Neither he or others have managed that task nor will I allow it to happen. That is Kitty Justice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Miss Kitty. I saw yesterday that you'd given up FB for Lent. :)

      It's always good to hear from you, and I do miss your blog, but you and I have kept up via FB, which is great. We've been in contact for years now...and I'd not like that to cease.

      Thanks for coming by, Dianne...take good care. :)

      Delete