Tuesday, February 28, 2023

TEMPTATION...WILL I, OR WON’T I? SHOULD I, OR SHOULDN’T I?

 




I’m often tempted to jump through the TV screen armed with a pair of scissors when I see cooks or chefs with their long hair flowing freely while they prepare food! Their hair should be tied up and away from their face, and from the food being prepared for human consumption!  Often I’m tempted to tear my hair out when I can’t decipher notes I’ve written to myself. One good thing about my indecipherable notes is, I guess, if I can’t read my own writing, no one else would be able to do so.

Conquering the art of keeping a straight face when someone is talking absolute dribble is a talent that takes years to successfully cultivate. The temptation, in many instances, not to verbally respond to the dribbler can be very difficult to achieve. 

When I was about 11 years old the temptation to take flight from our family doctor’s waiting room was overwhelming. The reason for my being there was I had a mouthful of very painful ulcers. For one reason or another, I wasn’t accompanied by my mother or grandmother. To make matters worse, when surrounded by adults unknown to me, resembling the MGM lion, my stomach began to roar. It grumbled and growled as loudly as humanly possible. I was a shy kid as it was without an out of control, noisy stomach.  On a scale of 1 to 100, my embarrassment was at the level of 200. Breaking all records!  With held breath, although the temptation to flee was powerful, somehow, by the seat of my pants, I remained glued to the seat.

One morning while motoring back from the mainland to Newry Island in my island boat, the 21ft De Havilland Trojan, a clown fisherman decided he wanted to race me. Acting like a brainless idiot, back and forth, around and around my boat he went churning up the waters, trying to egg me on…trying to tempt me into joining him in his childish, dangerous game.  Gritting my teeth, I ignored his idiotic behavior.  However, things were vastly different when I arrived safely on the island.  Looking smug, he approached the resort bar where some of my guests were mingling.  In front of everyone I didn’t resist the temptation to let the fool know exactly what I felt about his reckless actions.  In no uncertain terms I told the fellow what I thought of him.  He swiftly left, red-faced with his tail between his legs.  I never did see him again.

The temptation to respond is strong when someone makes assumptions about you. Oddly, it’s mostly those who don’t know you well who do the assuming.  They think they know you better than you know your own self.  In most cases, it’s probably best to bite your tongue and walk away.  My tongue bears many scars.  It’s a wonder I’ve not bitten it in half.  I’m sure I’ve been close to doing so many times. After all the biting, I’m amazed I still have a tongue.

When my late brother, Graham and I were kids good table manners were instilled in us. Gluttony at the table was not allowed, whether in our own home, or elsewhere.  Reaching across the table to grab an enticing, delicious-looking cupcake, rather than take the closest one was frowned upon.  We ate what was put in front of us. We waited until everyone was seated before beginning to eat. 

Previously I’ve mentioned my first job was as a legal secretary at a firm of Gympie solicitors, a position I held for five years.  It was a tradition on each of our birthdays for the staff to supply, for morning tea, a raspberry jelly and cream layered sponge cake, purchased from a local shop. Our boss’s wife, who also worked in the office, on her birthday, always supplied a delicious Pavlova she’d made.  The temptation to dive in for a second slice of her scrumptious pavlovas was great, but those home-taught table manners won out in the end!


Mango-Cointreau Pavlova:
Preheat oven 150C. Using a 20cm cake pan, draw circle on baking paper. Flip paper so outline is on underside; place onto greased baking tray. Place 6 room temp egg whites and pinch of salt in mixer fitted with whisk attachment; whisk to just before stiff peaks. With motor running, add 330g caster sugar, 1tbs at a time, whisking until sugar is dissolved (about 10-15mins) and mixture is thick and glossy. Add 1tsp white vinegar, 3tsp cornflour and 2tsp vanilla extract; whisk until combined. Spoon into centre of circle. Using a small palette knife, spread evenly to diameter of circle, leaving a swirl finish on meringue. Place in oven; reduce temp to 100C. Bake 1 hr45 mins-2hrs or until outside is crisp and dry. Turn off oven; leave meringue inside to cool for at least 3hrs. Once cooled, remove from oven. Cointreau Syrup: place 220g caster sugar and ¼ cup (60ml) water in saucepan over med- heat; stir until sugar dissolves. Bring to simmer; cook 6-7mins until dark golden caramel. Remove from heat; carefully tipping pan away from you, gradually pour in 180ml Cointreau. Return to low heat; simmer 2mins, or until combined and syrup forms. Transfer to a bowl; cool to room temp (add a little water if caramel is too thick). Place cut cheeks of 3 mangoes, flat-side up, on wire rack sitting on large heatproof tray. Scatter mango with an even layer of caster sugar.  Working gently with 1 mango cheek at a time, brown under grill (or with kitchen blowtorch) until caramelised and golden.  Place 400g thickened cream, 250g sour cream, 1/2c icing sugar and 2 tsp vanilla in mixer bowl; whisk to soft peaks. Place pavlova on serving plate, spoon over cream and top with bruleed mango. Drizzle with Cointreau syrup.  

26 comments:

  1. Yes, hair needs to be tamed when cooking. Proper chefs should know this.

    Good table manners are a solid introduction anywhere.

    I've never had a Pavlova, i'd love to try it someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, messymimi...Yep...hair hanging down around everywhere is a bugbear with me.

      I hate bad table manners, and cringe every time I'm in the presence of those who display them!

      You would love pavlovas, I am sure. Load them up with all types of fruit...berries of all description...they are delicious. :)

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  2. one of my first jobs with hair down to my waist, I got my hair caught in a postal automatic latte stamper, thankfully I remembered where the lock out switch was and all the guys stocking the shelves in the basement ran over to laugh hysterically at my predicament but they got my hair out without incident. I always kept my hair in a ponytail from then on. My tongue has been known to sink me into many a predicament in far too many ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda...for years I had long hair...down to below my waist. And when I was working in the hospitality industry, when cooking, and otherwise employed, I always wore my hair pulled straight back off my face, and plaited into a long plait.

      Take care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  3. should be letter stamper

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always had short hair, but I agree - keep it out of the food. I have been at restaurants and had hairs in my food.
    My mouth gets me in BIG trouble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's nothing worse than finding hair in food, Sandie. And having it hanging around your face is damned annoying, too.

      I do my best to bite my tongue....lol

      Take care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  5. I hope you found the cause of the mouth ulcers so it didn't happen again, it sounds terribly painful. I have similar scars from biting my tongue. I agree all hair should be tied back or put under a net cap when preparing and cooking foods. The worst culprits are the clueless people on those "bake-off" shows and people in sitcoms who flip their hair casually while doing anything in the kitchen. Also I have terrible table manners. I read while I'm eating and wipe my hands on whatever is nearest, usually an old hand towel doubling as a table napkin. I would always ask for a second slice of pavlova! I love pavlova.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi River...I probably had an ulcer or two after that time, but nothing as bad...and I've not had any for decades and decades...touch wood.

      I get annoyed when watch cop shows etc., and some of the female cops have long flowing hair going everywhere, too! lol

      When in company my table manners are good as taught...something I believe to be important still...but alone as I am the majority of the time, I'm guilty of breaking all the rules once learned. After many years in the hospitality industry I certainly witnessed many who need to re-learn the lessons re table manners. Some of the behaviour sure did disgust me. :)

      Thanks for coming by...take care. :)

      Delete
  6. My wife watches those cooking shows on TV and absolutely agrees with the necessity for hairnets for those whose long hair falls freely. Regarding dribble, last night at a show I sat next to a stranger who, though we're on a cruise, lived about ten miles from where we do in Michigan. I asked him "What do you do?" and got a 20-minute non-stop explanation on sustainable farming and the farm to table business. It does make you appreciate quiet solitude more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahahaha! That'll teach you to make polite conversation, Dave!! Enjoy your cruise, and beware of the dribble! :)

      Thanks for coming by...take care. :)

      Delete
  7. I'm just not a tongue biter...if it's on my mind, out my mouth it comes!lolol
    That idiot on the water!!! Glad you got him!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Donna. I'm not always successful at biting my tongue! :)

      Yes...that fool in the boat should never have been allowed on the water.

      Take care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  8. Innit the truth about long hair needing to be tied up around food.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm gonna try that pavlova. Anything with mango for me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Peace Thyme...pavlovas loaded with fresh berries are fantastic, too...also worth a try. :)

    Thanks for coming by...take care. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Temptation, table manners and tongues. You can make an interesting post about anything, Lee. One temptation I cannot resist is muttering (sometimes a very loudly) at the TV when I see cooks with their hair hanging over the food - and seeing utter ignorance when it comes to using cutlery, seeing forks being used like shovels. Ugh!!
    As for my well bitten tongue - sometimes I just can't be bothered with any more biting and let my thoughts be known. But not as often now as I used to.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey there, Pauline...I'm always muttering and growling...loudly...at many things I see on TV, not just at the flowing hair! lol As for the errant use of knives and forks...don't get me started!!

    I do my best to keep my tongue trained!! It's quite difficult to achieve at times! :)

    Take care...thanks for coming by. :)



    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad to read that you put that reckless boater in his place, Lee, and you did so without stooping to his level of foolishness on the water. Revenge can often be very sweet indeed and without any calories. My parents also installed the value of good manners in my brother and myself, sadly the same doesn't seem to hold for some families today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Beatrice. I don't suffer fools easily, or at all, and that guy in the boat was a fool of the first degree.

      Too many parents these days, it seems, are not spending enough time teaching their children. Too many children these days have little guidance, hence the high amount of juvenile crime, unfortunately.

      Thanks for coming by...take care. :)

      Delete
  14. Now that Mango-Cointreau Pavlova does sound good :)

    My good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it does, Jan. I'll just dream about it because I won't be making it! :)

      Thanks for coming by...take care. :)

      Delete
  15. oh the temptations of speaking one's mind is tempting to most of us mere mortals. My up bringing taught me to not be tempted to utter what I thought because often I would get in trouble or be browe beated for such statements. After my MIL death, I do not bite my tongue But I have started gritting my teeth which has cause a popping noise in my left jaw. Around here GREED is the badge the kinfolk wear. Dear Prince wants to keep everyone happy and it is all I can do to not go screening and tearing my hair out as I run down the Hill. Hope to see the rear view mirror soon. BTW people do not care how we feel so I think it would be best if we all did not have filters but said what we think, I have a friend who has no filter and you know exactly how she feels. Have a great day and weekend. Peace be with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Miss Kitty...sometimes...oft times, I find it best to bite my tongue, particularly when in the presence of one certain fellow, whom I shall not name. I get in less trouble that way. :)

      Greed has overtaken the world, I think...unfortunately.

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete