Thursday, April 06, 2023

WHERE WERE YOU WHEN………………?


 Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin & Friends..."Where or When"
 



                               



                           

When my now late brother Graham and I were kids our Nana and Mum gained a great deal of pleasure every time (about a million) they presented us with an age old riddle.  At the time we thought they had invented the riddle…e.g… ”Where was Moses when the lights went out?”  There are a couple of answers to the riddle, one of which is…“In the dark”. 

Mum and Nana’s inventive answer was always …”Under the bed looking for the matches!” 

The bemused looks upon my brother’s face, and mine every time we were asked the question never failed to cause gales of laughter from Nana and Mum.  Obviously, our bewilderment and groans were funnier than the actual riddle! 

My brother and I never did see the funny side.  I do, however, laugh at the memory of those childhood moments. I think Mum and Nana asked the question so often of Graham and me just to enjoy our always blank expressions. Our reactions never failed to cause them much laughter.  I imagine everyone has those “I remember where I was when that occurred” moments.  I, for one, do. 

Early on a Saturday morning Nana woke me with the shocking news of John Fitzgerald Kennedy’s assassination…22nd November, 1963. That day, when JFK was senselessly killed, created a devastating, unforgettable moment in history.

Mid-morning 21st July, 1969, AEST, having escaped the office, along with a crowd of like-minded curiosity-filled humans, I stood in awe staring at a television screen in one of the windows of Penney’s building in Queen Street, Brisbane.  The massive crowd had gathered to witness history being made… “Mankind took one giant leap…”

A Saturday morning in January 1964 I was at my then boyfriend’s (much later husband) flat, doing his laundry while he was at work. How spoilt he was! Randall was an announcer at Gympie’s radio station, 4GY. 

After his shift he’d raced home. Out of breath caused by his haste, he gushed; “This morning I played a fantastic track by a great new singer! She has an incredible voice! I predict the world’s going to hear a lot more from her! She’s fabulous!  Wait until you hear her…you’ll agree!”  The singer to whom Randall referred was Barbra Streisand whose single, “People”, had just been released.  How right he was!

Finally, we married when Randall arrived back in on home turf after living and working in New York for many years. He and I were in the throes of renovating our house, a “Queenslander”, in Torwood, a western suburb of Brisbane.  I was high upon a ladder painting tongue and groove walls in the dining-lounge area, and Randall was tiling in the kitchen when the news echoed over the radio….Elvis had left the building…The King had died.  It was Tuesday, 22nd August, 1977, AEST. Elvis was unique.  The myriad Elvis impersonators throughout the world will never be able to do him justice.

Monday, 8th December, 1980, Randall and I were attending a Rotary evening held at the Noosa Heads Golf Club, when we learned of the untimely and shocking death of John Lennon.  For me, that, too, remains an unforgettable moment in time.

September, 2001…shortly after 10 pm Tuesday, AEST, I’d not long arrived home from work.  At the time, I was the chef aka cook at a Gympie function house-restaurant.  Having switched on my TV, unbelievable images filled the screen.  9/11…the day the earth stood still...

The list of “when and where” moments remain embedded in my mind, with a few least notable among the most notable.   I wonder if Moses ever found the matches…..

 

Parmesan Brussels Sprouts: Preheat oven 200C. Trim bottom ends of 450g Brussels sprouts; slice each Brussels sprout in half, top to bottom. Prepare large baking sheet (line it with baking paper if you like). Pat the sprouts dry; place in bowl. Add 3tbs olive oil or melted butter, 1tsp Italian seasoning, 3 minced garlic cloves, 1/2c or so grated Parmesan, salt, and pepper. Toss gently to coat evenly; then place sprouts on prepared baking sheet, spreading evenly into one layer. Bake on the centre rack. 25-30mins. Adjust the time depending on your oven…the vegetables should be golden brown.  Transfer to serving bowl; sprinkle with chopped parsley, if you like.

Pan-Fried Mushrooms & Zucchinis: Add 1tbs olive oil and 1/2tbs butter to large pan; set over med-high heat.  Add 2 small zucchinis, cut into thin, half moon slices; season; cook 3-4mins, or until fork-tender.  Remove from pan; set aside.  Wipe out any liquid left in pan.  Return pan to heat.  Add 2-1/2tbs butter; melt.  Stir in 1 smallish finely diced onion; cook 2mins, or until just softened. Add 450-500g small button mushrooms, cleaned and patted dry; cook 5-7mins, until tender and browned. Stir in 3 or 4 minced garlic cloves, and 2tsps fresh chopped herbs of choice, or 1tsp dried herb e.g. thyme and oregano; cook 2mins. Adjust seasoning if necessary. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and grated Parmesan; serve.

 

 

                             

 

               

        

                                    

31 comments:

  1. The only one of these I remember is Elvis and that's only because he died on my birthday, August 16th. I was just 25 years old and my third child was 9 months old, we were living in Sydney at the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you seen Baz Luhrmann's movie, "Elvis", River. It is brilliant! I loved it! What an incredible film-maker Lurmann is...and to think he made the movie just down the road a bit from where I live...on the Gold Coast. I highly recommend the movie.

      Take care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  2. I hope Moses did find the matches. I actually stayed home from school (with parental permission) to watch the moon landing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That certainly was a memorable moment (or more) in history, EC. My boss, at the time, didn't mind me scooting out from work to watch the event. :)

      Thanks for coming by...take care. I hope all is well with you. :)

      Delete
  3. I remember them all...
    Happy Easter!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly made their presence known, Donna...unforgettable.

      Thanks for coming by. A Happy Easter to you....take good care. :)

      Delete
  4. Happy Easter.
    I like that music that Dean and Frank sang - timeless.
    The Pan-Fried Mushrooms & Zucchinis look sooooooooooo good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, Sandie. Frank and Dean are both unforgettable in my opinion. :)

      I hope you and your loved ones have a Happy Easter and a safe one, Sandie. Take care. Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  5. I remember where I was when JFK was assassinated, and equally on 9/11. I also remember where I was when RFK was killed and where I was when Martin Luther King, Jr was slain. Elvis and John Lennon I have no idea, but I was at home for the moonwalk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David....I, too, remember when RFK was killed. At the time I heard the news coming across the radio that was playing in my kitchen I was walking through the back door of the unit I Iived in, in the Brisbane suburb of New Farm. I was at work when I heard about the assassination of Martin Luther King Jr.

      Take care...Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  6. You mention names and events that are unforgettable: Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Elvis Presley, Barbara Streisand, John Lenon -giant singers! The assasination of Kennedy - traumatic event; Moon -Landing - mind blowing event! Thanks for the memories.
    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, DUTA...Moments in history...unforgettable moments, that is for sure.

      Great entertainers, too...those mentioned.

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  7. Look at those sweet Easter kittens:)
    I definitely remember were I was when JFK died. I was in the 8th grade and our teacher announced it followed by saying, 'If anyone laughs I'll slap you." And I remember thinking, why would anyone laugh about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Sandra...why on earth anyone would laugh at that sad news.

      The kittens are lovely. :)

      Take care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  8. I remember all those moments the same as you. When Elvis died and I heard it on the radio, I pulled over in my car. I just had to let that sink in. And JFK was assassinated, I was in 1st grade and it was like the world went into black and white. When the Beatles came on TV, the world came back into color, that is how it felt to me.
    AND I just made zucchini the same way that you do! Except I didn't have any mushrooms, I will add them next time! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Kay...long time no see....and it's good to see you. Memorable events, that is for sure.

      I hope all is well with you and yours...thanks for coming by...take care. :)

      Delete
  9. Enjoy your weekend,Lee;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandra....I did...it was spent quietly as usual. I hope you're enjoying yours. :)

      Delete
  10. What a mind challenging post. I remember where I was when all those things happened. However I don't remember when I was when the light went out for Moses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahahaha, Annie. Last night I was thinking about another "event" I remember. I don't recall the exact day and date, but it was one night in 1978. I was standing at my kitchen sink, again, in the house at Torwood, in Brisbane, when I heard for the first time Willie Nelson's album, "Stardust". The very next day I bought the album!

      Thanks for coming by...take care. :)

      Delete
  11. I hope you had a good Easter.
    We had a lovely weekend and were able to see family.

    Seeing the courgettes/zucchini reminds me to get some!

    Take care, my good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Jan. My Easter weekend was spent quietly, by choice. I've no family, There is just me alone. I relaxed and enjoyed the time with my furry bestie, Shama, with whom I spend the majority of my time. :)

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)


      Delete
    2. I remember 9/11, we were in Athens airport and everyone was crowded round a TV, all in Greek of course. We thought it was some sports match and boarded our plane without a clue. So I was baffled when the pilot said he'd keep checking during the flight that we would be allowed to land in London.

      Delete
  12. Hi, Lee, popping in again to say hello. I remember the days Elvis and John Lennon died but can't remember where I was. I do, however, vividly remember being in 7th grade when JFK was assassinated and teachers were crying and scrambling to get TV sets into their classrooms so we could all see and hear what was happening. As for 9/11, I was at work. We kept a TV on in the conference room, tuned to a news channel. Someone walked by and happened to glance at the TV, let out a squeal, and everyone ended up staying in the conference room for the rest of the day. Your recipes sound fabulous and your Easter pictures are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Stranger aka Serena...so nice to see you. :)

      Have you seen the Baz Luhrmann movie, "Elvis". Recommended viewing...I loved it...I thought it a brilliant piece of movie-making.

      It was night here when the 9/11 attacks occurred. I raced into work the following morning before 6 am to wake my bosses (they lived in a cottage on the property), to tell them to put on their TV. They had not been aware what had occurred. I left work a couple of hours later...I just couldn't face working that day.

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
    2. Good to see you too. No, I haven't seen the Elvis movie. Unless that's the one with Tom Hanks. I did see that. We thought about leaving work on 9/11 but there was so much going on, like threats at the courthouse, chaos at the airport, & blocked roads that we just stayed put.

      Delete
    3. Yes...the one with Tom Hanks playing Colonel Parker is the one to which I refer, Serena. It was made just down the road a bit from where I live...about 30ks away, down on the Gold Coast, South East Queensland.

      Delete
  13. A bit late to comment. Catching up after visiting your lovely part of the world. And now we can add Dame Edna to the "I remember when" list. The only one on your list that I can't remember is John Lennon, that was a crazy year for me, there's very little about 1980 that I remember. Some things are best forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! It's good to see you, Pauline. I was getting concerned about your absence. I hope you enjoyed your visit here. I hope you were treated well by everyone you came in contact with. :)

      Yes...it's very sad about the passing of Barry Humphries aka Dame Edna, Sir Les, Sandy Stone et al. What a clever, hilariously funny, intelligent man he was. There will never be another like him.

      Thanks for coming by...great to have you back...take care. :)

      Delete
  14. A belated comment, Lee, but I do not remember all the dates of when those mentioned in this post died with the exception of JFK as I was in high school when it was announced over the loudspeaker system. I can't recall my locations when the others mentioned died or were killed (senselessly).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Beatrice. It's always a pleasure to hear from you. :)

      Sometimes I think my memory is too good! Sometimes it can get me into trouble!! lol

      Thanks for coming by...take care. :)

      Delete