Saturday, April 27, 2024

HEAR YE! HEAR YE! PLEASE YE HEAR ME PLEAS!

                                                                            





It’s a wonderful world we live in today, isn’t it?  Please note the intended sarcasm!  I need to purchase a wig. My patience was pushed way beyond its limits a few weeks back.  I was tearing my hair out because of the actions…correction…inactions of some others.  I wanted to scream my lungs out while tearing wildly at my hair.  Having now calmed down I need to get a couple of things off my chest.  It’s neither hair nor vest.

Faceless “powers that be and useless” are displaying their ignorance by trying to turn us into a cashless society.  Bank branches are disappearing faster than tree branches in fire ravaged bush land. The end to the ATM is nigh, as well.  

Those making these idiotic decisions are living in a Disney-like fantasy world of their own creation.  The harsh reality is it’s more like a Stephen King horror story.  The sooner “they” wake up to themselves the better, in my humble opinion!

The reason for my recent frantic hair-thinning was; I’ve been a loyal customer of a particular bank since Federation…a slight exaggeration, I know…but for many, many years.  When trying to access my bank account, to my annoyance and deep concern I was unable to do so no matter how often I tried.  Days upon days of endless calls to the bank aka impersonal “Call Centre” followed in hopeful efforts to have the problem solved.  Over and over, my efforts were hopeless.

In each call, in clear, precise detail I explained the problem I was experiencing, but no one listened.  No one heard a word I spoke. I could hear myself, but for strange reasons those receiving my calls couldn’t.  The situation was exacerbated even further when some with whom I spoke were impossible to understand because they couldn’t speak English.  Why anyone unable to speak English is employed by Call Centres beats me! 

Day after day, hour upon hour, I made desperate phone calls. No resolution was in sight; no intelligent help offered.  More worried and agitated I became with each fruitless attempt as each moment, each cry for help, and each day passed without answers; without action; without a remedy. 

After days of getting nowhere, in sheer frustration I tossed in an offhand, off-the-cuff, flippant comment to one of the deaf recipients of my endless plaintive pleas for a positive solution to the problem.  I made an innocuous comment many of us, I am sure, in moments of absolute frustration have pulled out of the hat once or twice.  The odd thing was my curt ad lib remark was the first time any of my words were heard by the dozens of people to whom I’d spoken.  Everything else I’d voiced had blown away in the wind except for that one spur-of-the-moment comment tossed in, in exasperation.  I’d made call after call until I was blue in the face, hot under the collar…until I turned from blue to red in the face, finally verging on purple.

The brief comment uttered by me in hair-pulling despair sure put the cat among the pigeons. I was the cat. Emotionally exhausted, and at my wits end, was I expected to cop being ignored?  I’d been copping it for days. Sick to death having to cop it, I blew my top!

Within far less than an hour of my comment made out of sheer frustration there was pounding on my door.  Upon throwing on some clothes, tidying up my hair, I opened the door.  To my surprise, two of our local policemen were standing there with smiles on their face. I proceeded to tell them of my grievance, annoyance with my bank, and the disinterest shown by its Call Centre folk.  

When I finished my tale, the older cop who had a smile on his face said to me, “You made a certain comment in one of your calls this morning….”  Both of the cops looked at me with a smile on their face as they waited for my reply.

The penny dropped.  I laughed and explained my position…why I had said what I’d said after more than a trillionth time of not being heard; after six days of not being listened to. I’d carefully explained in minute, concise detail to the uninterested person on the other end of the phone the problem I was facing. And like all the others before him, he wasn’t listening; he didn’t hear a word I said, until I uttered, “The best thing for me to do would be to put a bullet in my bloody head!  

Finally I was heard. Finally someone listened to me!  Upon hearing my frustrated utterance, the fellow contacted the police!  And, they in turn, promptly arrived at my door!  The two police understood my grievance, and the problem I’d been dealing with over the previous days.  

In final parting, again with broad smiles on their faces, the younger of the two asked me, “Do you have any guns?”  

 I laughed, and answered, “No!” 

 Wishing me well. off they went.

I understood the police were only doing their job…as was the fellow at the Call Centre who finally heard what I’d said!  However, it should not have taken that one, innocuous comment to have stirred up action!  And, it should not have taken days of fruitless phone calls before someone listened to me.

And yet, even after those few moments of excitement, another day passed. More useless phone calls followed before my dilemma was eventually taken seriously.  Until then no one, other than me, appeared to understand, or care.  Had I been speaking in a foreign tongue? My pleas had been shamefully neglected.  Corny it might sound, but I’ve always believed ears are part of one’s hearing system. Ears are what we hear and listen with. They are not just for dangling ear rings off!  Obviously the ears of those “working” at the bank’s Call Centre are blocked. 

Finally I was passed onto an empathetic, intelligent young woman named Jacquie. At long last I was heard by someone!

To my exhausted relief, my voice had magically returned. I was audible! I wanted to cry, and cry I did, in private, once the problem was solved. 

In what felt like an eternity, almost a week after the first phone call I’d made, I was heard; listened to by an understanding young woman. Within 20 minutes or so, with Jacquie’s calm, empathetic assistance, the issue that should’ve been rectified long before the days and hours spent making numerous fruitless phone calls, was set right.

Those employed at Call Centres obviously read from scripts handed to them. And like sheep, meekly they follow the script. They have no intention of straying from them, or are too lazy and uncaring to do so.  They’ve no mind of their own; they’ve no mind to help others in distress.  We, the ones in distress, just have to cop it!

By the way, thankfully, my hair has grown back.

Grilled Chilli Corn on Cob: Fill a large bowl with enough cold water to completely submerge 4 ears of fresh sweet corn, husks on. Pull away outermost layer of husks. Using scissors trim off topmost part of husks up to the cob including the silk tassel. Place ears in the water. Let sit for at least 10mins, or up to 8 hours (this will keep husks from burning). Heat a gas or charcoal grill to medium. Remove corn from water; shake off excess. Place corn on grill, cover; grill 15-20mins, turning it every 5mins or so to ensure corn cooks evenly. When corn is done, the kernels should be tender when pierced with a thin, sharp knife. Meanwhile, in bowl, melt 2tbs butter. Stir in 1tbs grated Parmesan, 1/2tsp chilli powder, 1/2tsp chipotle chilli powder, 1/4tsp ground cumin, and 1/4tsp salt. Zest 1 lime directly into the bowl; then cut the lime into wedges. Let corn cool for 5mins. When cool enough to handle, peel back husks, removing any stuck-on bits.  Brush the corn all over with the chilli butter; serve hot with a wedge of lime to squeeze over top.   

25 comments:

  1. I have heard those in call centres are not allowed to stray from the script.
    True, it should NOT have taken that one phrase to get someone's attention and after that it STILL took time to get properly heard and sorted???
    I live a lot closer to the city than you and I would have been down at my bank hassling whoever was behind the counter until I had it sorted. I guess there's more of my mum in me than I thought. I rely on ATMs to get my cash and really don't want them to disappear. It's so much easier to keep track of actual cash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi River. Not being allowed to stray from the script is b/s, in my humble opinion Staff should be there to assist the customer, not be hindrances.

      I also believe I should not have had to go to a bank branch...which is miles from here where I live (as there is no branch of the bank here)...way off the mountain, down on the Gold Coast. And I do not go to the Gold Coast...I've not done so for years...and have no intention of doing so again any time soon. Dealing with all the traffic would send me even crazier than I already am. My situation...health...is not conducive to such pressures.

      I don't take shit from anyone...and I do expect them to do their job - the job they're paid to do.. to.look after their customers. I told those who were not listening to me time and time again I COULD NOT get to a branch!

      Anyway...finally it was solved...and I didn't end up in jail! :)

      Take care...thanks for coming by.

      Delete
  2. Oh good heavens Lee, what a disaster. Frustrating to say the least. Thank goodness it all got sorted out after one week, that is not good customer service.
    Pardon me but, I laughed when the Police showed up, but at least the man on the other end of the phone that time listened but not to your plea of help for banking..
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I laughed, too, when the police turned up, Margaret. And, they, too, saw the funny side. They knew who I was/am....and took it all in their stead. :)

      It certainly was a very trying time, though. A couple of years ago I'd been hacked, and that was, of course, in the front of my mind during all this particular fiasco.

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  3. I am glad that the problem was finally rectified, and appalled at the lengths you had to go to.
    And if you had been serious about the bullet they would have been too late.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly tested my patience, EC, to say the least. One should not have to go through what I went through for almost a week. The problem should have been solved immediately. I would defy anyone to not explode the way I did, and pass the comment many of us have uttered, I'm sure, in moments of frustrations.

      I think the cops got a fright when they were greeted at my door by the "Wicked Witch from the West"! My hair was everywhere as I'd been laying on my bed reading...and I'd quickly donned a long, black dress! lol

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness - I hate these calls myself - I have had some bad one - BUT your was the worst so far. I can't believe the police came! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, Sandie....Call Centres certainly are the pits. I really don't know what they are there for because they certainly don't help! They're a useless waste of time.

      The poor police have better things to do with their precious time than to come a-knocking on my door! I think they got a fright when this old witch answered their knock! lol

      Thanks for coming by....take good care. It's nice to see you. :)

      Delete
  5. Nice of the police to make a wellness check call, which is the term we use when they come to see how you are doing because someone else is worried about you. You truly should not have to go in an actual branch to get help. Our bank has branches with a real phone number you can call and speak to someone right there in the building, and I've always been able to get help that way. I may have to wait on hold a while, but it's worth it to get the help and the wait is seldom very long.

    People at the call centres need to be allowed to "bump you upstairs," that is, send your call on back to a branch of the bank they are serving, in order to get help for you when they are unable to resolve the issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi messymimi...people at Call Centres should do the job they're supposed to do...listen, and help! This mob did neither for days. The only time anyone did listen, did hear me, was to cover his own butt when I passed my comment in total frustration. They are a useless lot, in my opinion.

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)


      Delete
  6. In the USA, if I made a remark like that, I would probably get the answer, "Go ahead, lady"! Why can't people just help people these days? True listening has gone by the wayside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True what you say, Kay...help is rare...and life shouldn't be this way. Unfortunately, few seem to care these days...as was so obvious during that week...almost a week...of my trying to get help from those SUPPOSEDLY employed to give assistance.

      I fear the fate of the world....selfishness, ignorance, lack of respect, etc., etc., et al are taking over...have taken over.

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  7. OMG, Lee. That is absolutely terrible. What in the world are you supposed to do? I'm so sorry you had to deal with this.
    The corn sounds luscious.
    Hope you don't have any more issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too, Sandra...my patience wouldn't be able to stand it! Nor would my temper! It was so, so maddening.

      Thanks for coming by..take good care. :)

      Delete
  8. I can really empathize with you but I can't too much because the doctor said today I need to watch my blood pressure more closely. At least you got to talk to a live person, as fruitless as it was in your case. I can't even get to a live person on the phone as I deal with tax return issues. I get their automatic phone answering system that, like you, also ignores my issue. And I'm old school when it comes to banking. I don't do money transfers, debit cards or mobile banking. The supermarket people sometimes cringe when I pass them a check to pay for my groceries but it's still legal tender.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave...one wonders these days how long cash and cheques will be legal tender...the way it's going, time is rapidly running out, unfortunately.

      My blood pressure was over the limit, I'm sure, during those six days trying to get sense from people. I was so, so angry with the treatment I received...until, that is, on the sixth day Jacquie came through for me. I was so grateful to her...and to her understanding.

      Thanks for coming by...take good care...particularly of your blood pressure! That's an order! :)

      Delete
    2. Quite the hair raising tale...

      Delete
    3. It certainly was a hair-pulling time, Annie.

      Thanks for coming by..take good care.

      Delete
  9. Goodness me! I was so pleased the problem was finally sorted, but really this was not good (understatement of the year!!!)
    I hope you do not experience any further issues.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too, Jan. A huge, huge sigh of relief when I was finally heard. It should not have taken so long!

      Thanks for coming by...take care. :)

      Delete
  10. It is hard to do battle with a wooden sword against the powers that be! Glad your vocabulary kicked in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thar's for sure, Susan. I, too, was very glad my voice returned! :)

      Take care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  11. Let's hope the bank has now put a "flag" on your account saying 'handle with care, she's a jumper.' or some such encouragement to others to listen and be helpful. I guess I'm a dreamer.
    It really is infuriating that sometimes one must be rude or threatening and resort to tears to get the treatment we have a right to.
    I probably shouldn't admit it, but sometimes these days I play the dear old lady who finds all this technology just a little overwhelming card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pauline....it was very infuriating...and it took far too long, and far too many phone calls for it to finally be resolved. I could've been resolved from the very first call. It's a crazy world we are living in these days.

      Take good care....thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  12. What an experience you had, Lee, and hopefully recounting it has helped a bit. While I was glad to read that finally that young woman heard you and was able to help, the frustration you went through with all the previous calls was awful. While your situation was with a bank, the same is true of call centers for PC help. Which is WHY we only use Apple devices, the support centers are located in the US and the folks speak English because we are in the USA. If we were living in a different county, I would want a call center to be in the language of that country.

    ReplyDelete