Sunday, December 22, 2019

ROCKIN’ AROUND THE CHRISTMAS TREE...




There will be no rockin’ around a Christmas tree for me.  If I want to run around a tree, I’ll just go outside this three acre property and take my pick.  There is a wide and varied choice of trees to rock around out there.  However, why should I exert unnecessary physical energy in the heat, and looking like a bit of an idiot when my mind is alive...rockin’ ‘n rollin’ with memories of Christmases past? 

I’ll stay in front of the fans and let my mind do the rockin’!

Entree and main course have been served. We’re at the dessert end of the year.  I could say “sit back and relax” but, I won’t because you won’t; but I intend to.  I’ve already begun practising to make sure I get it right.  I started at the beginning of 2019, to make sure I got it right.
For many, I know, it’ll be difficult to relax in the lead-up to Christmas. It used to be like that for me...but no more...

Once upon a time, as well as rocking around the Christmas tree, and decking the halls (even when I didn’t have a hall) with artificial holly, sparkling stars, glistening baubles and gleaming tinsel, I spent the weeks leading up to Christmas planning, scheming, plotting, designing, organising, and preparing.  

Christmas morning was “open house”.  At will, friends popped in to enjoy a glass or two of festive cheer, accompanied by tasty nibbles, before wandering off to their next rendezvous. 

A lengthy afternoon followed, with family and friends – usually around 15 in number...crowded around our laden Christmas table for a sit-down, hot Christmas lunch.  

Boy!  I have no desire to do similar these days... but in those years it was a lot of fun, even if a lot of hard work.  The happy faces, laughter and good conversation...a lot of it zany...were the rewards I received in return...

And then, there were other Christmases, when working in the hospitality industry...in various fields and positions...I catered for the hungry, madding hordes. That was enjoyable, too.

But, again....no more...those days, for me, are well in the past.  This Festive Season I will be catering for me and my two furry mates, Remy and Shama, in the most leisurely way.

Christmas overflowed with excitement for my late brother and me when we were kids.  Such fun we had! 

When Mum and Nana were out of range, surreptitiously, we counted our saved pocket money, as we discussed what presents we’d buy them.  We created our own cards, and composed the verses.

On Christmas Eve we each hung a pillow case on the base of our beds ready for Santa to fill them with presents.  We never felt the need to write to him...we knew he’d not disappoint us.  He never did.   Willingly, we left a slice of Christmas cake and some lemonade for Father Christmas (no gender-neutral in use here!).  He needed sustenance to help get him through a very busy evening.  It’s little wonder Santa is a rather plump fellow...every household feeds him!

Underneath the house were a couple of washing tubs, ready to be filled with ice to hold the watermelons to be devoured Christmas afternoon...once lunch was over and done with, and digested.  The obligatory watermelon fights were Christmas Day features, too, of course.

Teasing and tempting, in a cool spot, the calico-clad Christmas pudding our Nana made a couple of weeks before Christmas Day, hung on the bars of an upturned, wooden kitchen stool. 

Our thoughts...my brother’s and mine...were on the thruppences and sixpences we’d find in our servings of Christmas pudding. The silver coins interested us most, not the pudding! 

Anyway...by the time the rich fruit pudding arrived we were so full from the delicious roast meal; the bowls of summer fruits; lollies, including Liquorice Allsorts, naturally; unshelled mixed nuts, accompanied by the precious nutcracker...there was little room in our tums for pud!  When push came to shove, somehow we managed to find room. 

I didn’t write to Santa asking for two front teeth for Christmas.  My dentist fixed that problem during the year.  I’ve now enough teeth with which to chew the pork crackling – and the Liquorice Allsorts (I’ve already started on them). 

However, I have asked Santa for widespread rain. The rain, and the smiles on our farmers’ faces, would be the greatest gifts of all.  Relief for those who put their lives on the line, hour after hour, day after day, fighting the fires would be a welcome gift, too. Each one of them is a true hero...

My thanks to everyone who shared their smiles, words and kindness with me during 2019. 

Be grateful for what you have; and, in some instances, for what you don’t have.  There’s always someone worse off than you, or me.

Share smiles. Smiles cost nothing.  Be thoughtful, be kind; cherish family and loved ones.   

Hugs abound! Don’t bother trying to sue me 20 years in the future for inappropriate conduct. By then, like Elvis, I’ll have left the building. 

Merry Christmas! To everyone, best wishes of the Season...no matter what your beliefs.  All the very best wishes from me to you and your loved ones.

Relax ...enjoy! 

I hope 2020 rains on our parade! 

May compassion, commonsense, decency and respect rule in 2020...

Cracking Crackling: Score pork in diamond pattern (or just straight strips), through the skin, the fat, but not through to the meat: place pork in sink; pour boiling water over; dry well; rub in salt etc.

Christmas Crack: Line baking tray with foil; spray.  Preheat oven 200C.  Separate Salada biscuits into 40 individual squares; place in single layer on tray. Place 1c butter and 1c packed brown sugar in saucepan; bring to boil; boil 3mins. Pour this over crackers to coat. Place in oven; bake 3-5mins. Remove from oven; immediately scatter 2c chocolate chips over top; place back in oven, 2-3mins to melt choc; spread evenly over top. Sprinkle “100s & 1000s” or sliced almonds.  Cool completely, preferably in fridge; cut into pieces to serve.

Cherry Delight: Line 1.5 litre loaf tin with cling wrap. Whisk 6 egg yolks, 110g caster sugar and 1tbs Kirsch until thick and pale. Transfer to bowl; stir in 170g Sea Salt Caramel Chocolate, chopped into small pieces, 80g roasted desiccated coconut and 200g pitted cherries.  Whisk 500ml cream until almost stiff peaks. In 2 batches, gently fold cream into choc mix until just combined. Set aside. In a bowl, whisk 4 egg whites to stiff peaks. In 2 batches, fold into choc mix until just combined. Don't over mix. Spoon into mould; freeze until firm.  Turn onto platter. Decorate with choc curls and whole cherries.

Liquorice Allsorts Slice: Place 375g Liquorice Allsorts, chopped, 1c desiccated coconut, 1 crushed packet Chocolate Ripple biscuits, 125g melted butter, 1tbs golden syrup and ½ tin condensed milk in bowl; mix to combine. Put into slice tray; flatten out as much as possible with back of a spoon. Place in fridge to set 1hr. Melt 1x300g block of milk chocolate. Pour melted chocolate over the top of slice; place back in fridge to set.  Cut into squares to serve. 





20 comments:

  1. What a lovely,festive post!
    The greeting cards are beautiful, the treats mouth-watering, and your stories captivating, as usual!
    Merry Christmas with lots, lots of rain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, DUTA...My best wishes to you and your loved ones for the Season, too....Let's hope it pours! :)

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  2. I really, really hope our parades get rained upon. That is a wish I can (and do) get right behind.
    Enjoy your relaxed time. And stay as cool as you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, EC. Wouldn't be lovely? Rain, glorious rain!

      I wish you and Him and Jazz all the very best over the Festive Season. You stay cool, too - and safe....thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  3. Wishing you a blessed and beautiful Merry Christmas, with much rain on your parade (enough to grow plants and put out fires without floating you away!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same to you, messymimi. I'll just lay my back and float away...flippers on my feet and floaties under my arms! :)

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  4. I love the twinkling gif at the bottom here. I've been asking Santa for flooding rains too and asking every God in every Heaven also. So far all we have is cloudy skies, but are they clouds or are they smoke? This morning Adelaide was blanketed (lightly) in smoke from the Cudlee Creek fires which are mostly out now I believe. It's a good thing I have an inhaler in every bag! Merry Christmas to you and your furry babies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, River. I love that gif, too. :)

      Let's hope our wishes for rain come into fruition...how great it would be. This morning when I drove along the road to my local supermarket the valley below to the west was shrouded not only in smoke but in fog, too. By the time I drove back again...only about 3/4 hour later...the fog had disappeared...and had taken quite a bit of the smoke with it, too. Fortunately, I don't have problems that need an inhaler. I feel for those, like yourself, who have to depend on them in times like these.

      Merry Christmas to you, too, River...and giant cuddles from me and my two furry mates to Lola, your furry mate! Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  5. Anonymous12:38 AM

    What could be better than raining on our parade. Our Christmases are becoming a little more low key and I am not sorry. Another year of your enjoyable company online, at times challenging me, and I like that. It makes me think and try to see other viewpoints. OMG, Liquorice Allsorts Slice, so wicked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Andrew. Let the skies open, I say! :)

      Thanks for coming by...I'm glad you enjoy our online friendship...I do, too. It is a lot of fun.

      I pinched a few Liquorice Allsorts out of the jar a few minutes ago when I wasn't looking! The only time I have Allsorts is at Christmas. However, during the rest of the year I am known to enjoy Darrell Lea's Batch 37 Liquorice, though! https://www.bigw.com.au/product/darrell-lea-batch-37-liquorice-260g/p/815733/ It's delicious!!

      Low key or not (best way to go)...enjoy your Christmas...relax...sip on a few wines of choice...not Ben Ean Moselle or Porphyry Pearl... :)

      All the best...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  6. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. I am going to take a week's break with my family coming in.
    Like that ostrich? Love your food.
    Love, sandie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'Day, Sandie...my very best wishes to you and your family...May your Christmas be merry, relaxed and filled with love. And may 2020 treat you all kindly.

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  7. I only just got round to reading your Xmas blogpost Lee - with its tender references to Christmases past. May I take this opportunity to wish you a Happy New Year and perhaps I will be the first to wish you a Merry Christmas in 2020. Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, hey there, Mr. Pud. I'd not seen you for a few weeks, and had begun to believe I'd been struck off your social calendar; erased from your date book.

      I wish you, Shirley and your family all the very best for 2020. I hope the coming year, and beyond, treats you all kindly. Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  8. I hope you enjoyed your relaxed time.
    Good wishes for the New Year.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did, Jan...I've been having a very quiet time...as planned.

      My best wishes to you and your loved one for 2020. Take good care. :)

      Delete
  9. Makes me ponder my own Christmases past. Loved the sausage stuffing and the Swedish meatballs, the meatballs we still made this year. Your recipe dishes do sound scrumptious. Hope your holiday is going okay though I was worried when they talked on our national news about all the fires happening in your neck of the woods. May even cancel the Sidney fireworks, they said.

    ReplyDelete
  10. G'Day, Dave. The bushfires have been raging since September in many areas throughout Australia...and they still are. The situation is horrendous...very distressing...devastation everywhere. Overnight a young volunteer firefighter...a young man of 28 years lost his life when the truck he and three of his fellow volunteers rolled. It is so, so sad...heartbreaking.

    The Sydney fireworks are going ahead as per the news a few minutes ago...as will the firework displays in Brisbane, Melbourne, Adelaide and various other areas. Discussion is just being conducted on the breakfast TV show right now as I write.

    My very best wish for the New Year to you and your loved ones. Take good care...and thanks for coming by. :)

    ReplyDelete