Thursday, July 23, 2020

A BIT OF FABRICATED, FASCINATING, FRIVOLOUS, FAMILY FUN











Foreword... this fanciful fairytale is my fanciful foray into the world of fantasy...for the fun of it...


On a sunny Sunday afternoon...i.e. September, 9th, 1990... heralding the culmination of five years of dating...August March married the love of his life, Autumn Spring. The happy young couple left for their honeymoon on the following Saturday.  Having waited five years, and until winter’s end before tying the knot, they inhaled feverishly deep breaths simultaneously, believing a few more days wouldn’t matter before taking the leap.

Together they had three daughters, whom they named...April, May and June.  Coincidentally, each girl was born in the month of July.  Furthermore, each entered the world on a Thursday. 

August and Autumn’s only son, Daymon, was born on a Monday morning in October, seven years after June.  Arriving a little early, he had been due on the Tuesday.

Every summer, from December through to January, before school recommenced in February, once the children were old enough to enjoy the freedom freely offered by the ocean, the family cruised the Whitsundays aboard their yacht, “Sweet November”.   

November had been the month August and Julie realised they liked each other more than as friends. Their mutual feelings fell into place when they shared their first dance at the Friday night Formal.  Forthwith, they knew their futures would be forever forged.  Fortuitously, both teenagers attended Fairfield High School. From across the football field on a Wednesday afternoon their eyes locked.  Henceforth, they had eyes for no others.  August kicked a few goals during the game.  Goals, which not only helped his team win the match, but, also, helped him win the heart of the girl who became the forever after love of his life; a perfect match were they.

At first, flighty flirtation floated freely to and fro between the two. Soon the facts were faced. August and Autumn knew their feelings weren’t featherweight. From a fruitful friendship a firm, forevermore foundation was formed. The fundamental framework continued to flourish.  How frustrating such a perfect formula as theirs isn’t available on the market.  Was it a fluke?  To be fair, firstly, they were fortunate to have met; to have fallen for each other. It was fate...their destiny.  Nothing about their lives...the depth of feelings felt... was a facade.

Blame the above foray on lockdown.  Some would say I should be locked up...barred from my keyboard.  Hold on! I’m always in solitary confinement!  

Perhaps it’d be better if I took up needle-point, crocheting, knitting, quilting, scrap-booking, or building shadow boxes (not shadow boxing). 

Forget all of that!  Who am I trying to kid? This is far more fun...for me, anyway. 

If you have a beef about the fanciful fiction I’ve forced upon you...so be it.   

Sensing your cross words, maybe I’ll stick to crosswords, and keep my nonsensical ramblings to myself. I like to ginger things up a bit; stir things up, so I won’t do the latter. No surprises there!

 Friday!  Does that mean fry-day is on its way?

Ginger Beef Stir-Fry: Cut 700g sirloin into thin strips. Whisk together 5tbs soy sauce, 2tbs rice vinegar, 1tbs grated ginger, 1tbs honey, 1tsp red chilli flakes, and 1tsp cumin; add beef; marinate at least 30mins, up to 4hrs.. In a small bowl, mix 1tbs cornflour with 2tbs cold water, Heat 2tbs veg oil in wok (and 1tbs dark sesame oil if desired), over high heat until nearly smoking. Pat beef dry; separate into batches no larger than what can fit into the palm of your hand. Sauté beef, in batches,until just brown outside, rare inside; about 1min. Transfer to a bowl.  When beef is cooked, put 2-3 sliced hot chillis and 2 thinly sliced garlic cloves into wok; stir-fry 30-45 secs. Add 1-inch knob of julienned ginger; cook for 30-45secs more.  Return beef; add cornflour slurry; add 3-4 diagonally cut shallot stalks; cook 1min.  Add 1/2c loosely packed coriander just before serving, if desired. Serve with steamed rice. 

Fried Steaks with Spicy Blue Cheese Sauce: Combine 1/2c plain flour, 1/2tsp salt and black pepper in shallow dish. Whisk1 egg and 1tbs water together in shallow bowl until blended. Combine 1/2c dry bread crumbs, 1/4tsp salt, 1/4tsp garlic powder and 1/4tsp ground red pepper in shallow dish. Place 4 eye of round steaks, each about 3/4-inch thick between sheets of waxed paper; pound to 1/4 inch thickness. Dip steaks in flour, coating both lightly; shake off excess. Dip in egg wash, then in bread crumbs. Heat 1tbs olive oil in pan over med-heat until hot. Cook 2 steaks at a time until coating is crisp and golden and beef is med-rare, turning once. (Do not overcook.) Remove steaks; keep warm. Add another tablespoon of oil, if needed, and remaining steaks. Sauce: Place 150g blue cheese (such as Stilton etc.) 1/3c sour cream, 1tbs Dijon mustard, 1tsp Worcestershire sauce, 1/2tsp paprika and a good pinch ground cayenne in processor; season to taste’ whiz to combine. Place steaks on plates; spoon sauce over the top; crumble about 50g blue cheese on each.   

 




23 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your fanciful fiction. I hope August, Autumn, April, May, June and Daymon all lived happily ever after!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Bonnie! I'm glad you enjoyed my few moments of madness! :)

      If I see any of those guys in white jackets stepping out from a van...I'll run and hide! Hehehehehe

      Take good care...thanks for coming by, and for enjoying my levity. :)

      Delete
  2. I like your foray into fanciful fiction and I like the pictures you posted with it, especially the one with the mum and all the kids hanging off her plus a dog and cat in the mix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, River...I thought things needed to be lightened up a bit! I'm glad you enjoyed my madness! :)

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  3. Clever with your months and f's.
    Well done Lee, enjoyable to read as always.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'Day, Margaret...I got a bit carried away, didn't I? I'm not to be trusted left alone to my own devices! ;)

      I'm glad you enjoyed the fun of it all...thanks for coming by. You take care, too. :)

      Delete
  4. Crikey Lee, for a moment there I contemplated jotting names and relationships down to keep a check on who was who.
    I loved it.......maybe you could make the 4the Friday in the month Fanciful Fiction Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! That's a good idea, Cathy! Can we patent the idea...copyright it? lol

      'Tis good to "see" you..I hope all is well...keep taking good care...and thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  5. It is a heap of fun - which we all need at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That we do, EC...that we do! Hence, my moment or three of madness! As I said, perhaps I should be locked up. I dodge those blokes in the white jackets all the time! :)

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  6. Names of days, months, seasons, seem to be your favorite in the above funny post.
    You've given us a perfect story of a solid couple - adorned with your funny, lovely pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, DUTA...yes...I got on a roll with the days, months and seasons...purposely...didn't I? :)

      Thnks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  7. you made me laugh out loud and then I cried for so much so many are missing, I am usually in solitary confinement myself, but I am finding it harder and harder to stay put, happy fry day to you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Linda...I'm glad you got a laugh out of my post...that was my intention...all a bit of light-hearted (silly) fun! :)

      Sorry for the tears. Every day there is something or other that bring tears to my eyes. Better out than in, so the saying goes. :)

      Take good care...chin up...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  8. Well I loved your food - are you or were you a professional chef?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you loved the food, Sandie.

      For a number of years..yes...I cooked professionally in various establishments. Was never a qualified "chef", though...I never did an apprenticeship...self-taught by watching, listening, reading...and doing. :)

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  9. Anonymous4:48 PM

    You managed all those words starting with f without using the f word. I have been losing track of days. Now I am not even sure what month it is. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I make up for the use of it here in the "real" world, Andrew. The "f" word is a word I am very familiar with...one with which I have a close relationship. The word describes very well how I feel about much that goes on in the world...and about the idiots who cause my frustration. :)

      I never used the word until I began working in commercial kitchens. I soon learned it, though. Quickly, I realised that "deary me" or "ouh" didn't quite suit if I cut my fingers or burned them in busy, hectic restaurant kitchens! A harsher word was needed....and the "f" word did the effing trick! :)

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  10. Sometimes it is such fun to just let the fancy run with a story. This is one of those times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, messymimi...I did get carried away, didn't I? That's why I'm not safe to let out of the house! :)

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  11. Such alliteration. Such word play. Such a command of vocabulary. But I see a clue--aha! Crossword puzzles. Maybe if I did those as often as Sudoku, I'd be able to concoct such fanciful tales myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Dave! I've not progressed to Sudoku...I stick with my crosswords. My addled brain is incapable of working out Sudoko! lol

      It's good to hear from you...keep taking good care. Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  12. I did enjoy your fanciful fiction.

    The Spicy Blue Cheese Sauce sounds great.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete