Thursday, July 09, 2020

AIN’T IT FUNNY HOW TIME SLIPS AWAY...JUST DON’T MENTION THE “C-WORD”!


Heads or Tails!
Let's give her a serve!!


Actually, it’s not funny how quickly times slips away.  Our feelings about the fleetness of time this year may differ, though.  Already we’re past halfway through another year.  
Of 2020...there is only 20 left!
 How did it happen?  
I feel as if I’ve been in this position before...and not very long ago!  
 “June is bustin’ out all over!”  We were on a carousel!  June has burst and blown off into the ether, not to be seen again until 2021...which won’t be very long if the pace doesn’t slow down.
In case you’re not aware, it is July!  Talk about the Roaring Twenties!  2020 is roaring by at a rapid rate of knots, ensuing it will be one year not easily forgotten.  With little to celebrate, no one is doing the Charleston....
I’m unable to kick up my heels these days, other than in my mind.  I can barely touch my toes without a very loud groan...loud enough to wake up the whole mountain village.
Having to be confined to quarters hasn’t bothered me – isn’t bothering me.  I’m always a hermit...by choice...happy to be one, and one alone.   I prefer being at home, alone...although, not quite alone. My two furry mates keep me company, or vice versa.  No urging is necessary for me to stay home. I do it willingly.
If there is need for me to venture out into the environs I have to be dragged, kicking and screaming.  I put up a hell of a fight, holding onto the door frame, refusing to let go.  I push and pull, and am very difficult to budge.
When I set forth to do my weekly shop at IGA, and to visit the friendly newsagency crew, I’m never away from my regular perimeter...out of my preferred boundaries...for very long.  
 Different strokes for different folks...I don't mind being "different".  I can only be me...not anyone else.
It’s just as well I'm not a "gad-about" who's out and about all the time, after the reprimand I received from my two furry roomies when I arrived home the other day.
 Usually, I shoot out early...as early as possible.  The supermarket and newsagency both open at 7 am.   I prefer to get my shopping over and done with early, and then the rest of the day is mine to do with as I choose...at home. 
There is never a likelihood I will run out of anything.  A habit I picked up from my grandmother and mother.  Throughout my childhood our cupboards were always well-stocked.  We may not have had much money, but the money we had was well-spent...carefully spent.  Our plates were always full, and good, clean clothes were on our back.
Never could I be bothered going out in the afternoon to do shopping.  Nothing is ever so drastically needed that it can’t wait until the following morning...or the one after that...
However, the morning I’m describing in this present tale, I went out later than usual because the dump (rubbish dump/tip – garbage dump) doesn’t open its gates until 9 am.  Normally, after completing my shopping duties, I’m home again well before 9 am. 
Because I’d extended my visa and usual boundary limits I felt it best to utilise the out-of-the-ordinary occasion to the utmost by hitting every post along the way...not literally, of course!  
On route to the dump I stopped off to raid the ATM next to the Post Office to draw out my rent money.  After dumping my rubbish at the dump, I swung into the servo to refuel my car, and exchange pleasantries with the very pleasant young bloke there.  
By the time I reached our local IGA supermarket, having first popped into the newsagency, I was promptly questioned by some of the staff to explain myself...as to why I was later than usual in doing my grocery shop! 
For goodness sake!  I can’t get away with anything!  A camouflage outfit might be required.
It was around 9.45 am as I’d begun to fill my trolley!  
While trying to explain my lateness, an impatient, BBQ chicken was squawking at me from the deli section.
Over its din, I apologised humbly for my tardiness, promising never to be late again.   
The chicken’s aroma was impossible to resist, so hastily, flapping my own wings, I explained the reasons for my tardiness.  
The staff members at the supermarket are a fun, friendly, helpful lot.  We always partake in a few high jinks each time I pay a visit.
I should have stayed at home, indoors, that morning.  I would’ve done so, but dump duty demanded I do otherwise. 
Arriving home after being out longer, and later, than is my normal practice, I was immediately jumped upon by my two furry rascals...not literally.  
Remy and Shama are indoor cats, as I mostly am. They keep to themselves; as I mostly do.  Sternly reprimanding me, both cats didn’t shut up in expressing their thoughts about my thoughtlessness.
In no uncertain terms they demanded a plausible explanation from me as to why I’d been absent for so long.  Their displeasure was apparent; my position in this household was made crystal clear.
I spluttered and stammered my apology.
Not only did I have to explain my behaviour to IGA’s staff, but I had to go through the Spanish Inquisition...not the Spanish Flu...all over again when I arrived home!
After I’d accounted for my lengthy, thoughtless truancy, crossed my heart and promised never again to be so inconsiderate, I unpacked the groceries...with no help from my furry bosses.   
Remy, of course, with a nose more alert than that of Sherlock Holmes, Cyrano de Bergerac and Pinocchio put together, immediately picked up the scent of the barbecued chicken.   
My furry rascals set the rules leaving me with no alternative but to obey their every command.
That morning they let me stew for a while.  
Fortunately, lunch time was just around the corner, so the BBQ chicken helped diffuse the situation.  By sharing my lunch with them (mainly Remy who is particularly fond of...loves...BBQ chicken. I only have to whisper the word “chicken” and Remy, in a flash, magically appears at my feet)...I was forgiven...until the next time!

Chicken & Dumplings: Preheat oven 200C. Season 6 boned chick breasts; coat lightly in a flour. Heat 3tbs olive oil in casserole dish; in batches, brown chicken on both sides over high heat; remove chicken; set aside. Reduce heat; add 3 onions, cut into wedges and 200g bacon lardons; cook 5-8mins; add 3 sliced garlic cloves: add 3tbs plain flour; cook 1min. Add 300g large flat mushrooms, sliced, 2 bay leaves, 2tbs redcurrant sauce and 3 strips orange zest;  add 300ml red wine, can of diced tomatoes, 2tbs tomato paste, and 300ml chick stock; season. Bring to the boil; return chicken to casserole; make sure it is well covered with liquid. Put on lid; cook in oven 30mins. Prepare dumplings: Put 100g S.R flour, 100g fresh white breadcrumbs, 1tbs wholegrain mustard and 140g butter in processor; blitz to a crumb consistency. Add 2tsp fresh thyme, 2tbs chopped parsley, 2 eggs; season. Add 1/2c grated Parmesan, if desired.  Briefly blitz until mixture forms a fairly moist dough. Using floured hands, roll dough into 6 large, even-sized balls. Remove casserole from oven when the 30mins is up; sit dumplings on top. Pop lid back on; return to oven for a further 20mins, until casserole is cooked and dumplings have puffed up. Spoon chicken and sauce onto plates; top each with a dumpling.
Golden Syrup Apple Dumplings: Peel, core and quarter 2 Granny Smith apples. Combine 2c S.R. flour, 120g butter, 1 lightly beaten egg, and 1tbs milk. Divide dough into 8 pieces. Roll out; fold around each apple piece. Place dumplings into greased baking dish. Place 3tbs golden syrup, 1-1/2c water, 1/2c sugar and 100g butter into saucepan; bring to boil.  Pour syrup carefully over dumplings; bake at 180C, 30mins or until golden brown. Serve with ice-cream or custard.  


26 comments:

  1. I hear you.
    If we are so inconiderate as to spend more than our cat alloted time out we have some questions to answer. Pointed questions to answer.
    And yes, I am almost always very happy to stay home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, EC. I know....I have to pick up my game. Do as I am told! Behave myself!! :)

      Thanks for coming by...take care. :)

      Delete
  2. cats are the best, there is no c in the alphabet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, Linda! Cats are the best! :)

      Take good care....thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  3. Is that Remy and Shama in the photos above? The tabby could be Lola's twin. I don't get much conversation from Lola, she barely blinks whenever I get home from anywhere, but she recently began letting me know when she is hungry with a very small meow and today she has "talked" to me three times. I give her lots of attention when she does meow, it took so long for her to get to this point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, River....that is Remy and Shama in the above photos...both pics were taken a few years ago.

      Shama has just screamed at me and insisted she sit on my lap...she won, of course!!!

      Both love having a chat...I'm frequently having conversations with them. Chatty catties, they are!!

      The tabby is Shama,, the little Madam!

      Thanks for coming by. :)





      Delete
  4. Anonymous4:24 AM

    Your cats look lovely. Don't you ever buy a superior roasted chicken from a Charcoal Chicken type place. You will never have peace from Remy. I can remember my ankles being attacked by our cat Millie after we brought her home from a cattery when we were on holidays. "How very dare they put me in such a place! They will pay with their flesh."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bo, Andrew, I don't buy roasted chickens from "Charcoal Chicken type places" because there are no such places here on the mountain. The rotisserie chickens I purchase from IGA are quite delicious, and suit my purposes and taste (and Remy's) very well. It is cheaper to buy the ready-cooked chicken than to cook my own, in my opinion.

      These two furry mates of mine never attack me...never have done. I guess it's because they've been with me since they were three days short of turning six weeks old. They will both be 18 years old this coming November. :)

      Thanks for coming by...keep being sensible and taking care. :)

      Delete
  5. Your kitties are so cute - I have to say I am more of a dog person tho. Sorry. The chicken and dumplings look delish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no need to say "sorry", Sandie. I've had dogs in my life, too; and I love dogs. I love all animals, to be honest. Cats have always played a huge role in my life...they are one constant...and have always been "there" when I needed them most...their love and comfort have seen me through many times when I've needed both/

      Take care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  6. Routines are good and the household staff (pets) expect you to keep to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know, Arleen. I'll have to pick up my act! :)

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  7. It has been ages since we have eaten chicken and dumplings. Looking forward to trying golden syrup apple dumplings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, Susan...it's ages since I've eaten either of the recipes given, too.

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  8. I love to hear about Remy and Shama! We have the same problem with our two cats when we come home. Zeus is at the door when we open it and demands to know where we've been and why we left him! But sweet Sophie always gives a welcome home kiss. They are the ones in charge aren't they!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly are, Bonnie...and that's one of the many things we love about them!! We made them that way...so we can't lay the blame on them! lol I love these two so much.

      Nice to see you...I hope all is well with you and yours...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  9. See, your were missed in the IGA and at your home.
    Your cats are sweet things, they are such good company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Margaret...I would be lost without these two...and don't want to think about that happening. It's far too distressful a thought...

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  10. Sounds like you might have to do your different chores on different days. Bummer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope...I'm a "one-stone, many birds" person, messymimi. I prefer to get everythig done in one go! :)

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  11. Unlike you, I go shopping in the late evening hours. I'm not a morning person, and I find it more comfortable to shop during the late hours.
    Your two cats are cute, and you take excellent care of them. It pays off - there's mutual appreciation and love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, DUTA...oh...I couldn't stand going out in the late hours to do shopping...no way could I be bothered doing so. Out early, get it all over and done with...and back home again....if I left going out until the late hours my mind would be pestering me all day long...telling me to go! :)

      Remy and Shama the "constants" in my life...they are much-loved.

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  12. I'm dealing with two traumatised cats at the moment. I swear they disliked moving house as much as I did. I hope they eventually forgive me. They do like to rule the roost, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine, Pauline. These two of mine would be paranoid, too, if we...them and me...had to move. From when they were three days shy of turning six weeks old, this is the only place...the only home...they've known. I don't know how they'd cope. I'd probably be the worst person in the world for upsetting their "norm"! Yes...they most certainly do rule the roost!

      A short while ago...this morning...both were asleep...and then I got on the phone, chatting with an old friend...and then their performance began! Both started running around, verbalising! lol Rats!!!!

      I hope you're settling in comfortably to your new place....take it all one step at a time. Take good care, and thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  13. Awww your cats look so cute.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your furry pals look really really comfortable with life. I often find myself envying cats! :D

    ReplyDelete