Tuesday, April 06, 2021

TO LAUGH AT ONE’S OWN SELF IS HEALTHY, OR SO WE ARE TOLD!

 







 

If the above title is a fact, I must be very healthy, indeed!

I don’t need Charlie Chaplin, Laurel & Hardy, The Marx Brothers, Abbott & Costello, or the rest of their ilk who have followed in their lively footsteps to keep me amused.  Successfully, with little or no conscious effort, I manage to amuse myself often...very often.  I’m not sure if it’s a good thing, or not.  There could be two avenues of thought.  Those blokes in the white jackets might have a different opinion to mine, so I’ll keep on keeping a low profile, and run/hobble for cover if I see them lurking around.  I duck for cover every time I hear a vehicle drive up the lane!  

Frequently I hear my two furry mates chuckling away behind their paws at my antics. Perhaps, they’re easily amused...maybe I am, too.  As for the kookas aka kookaburra...from the amount of laughing they do I must be the centre of their entertainment...the highlight of their days.

To me, it matters little if I make a spectacle of myself.  By this stage in my life I’m used to it, which became evident a couple of weeks ago while out shopping.  I broke into laughter at something I did. Story below...

Thankfully, the good manners instilled in me throughout my childhood are still at play...most of the time, anyway. 

As I approached the entrance to IGA, our local supermarket, a few weeks ago I paused to allow a fellow shopper to exit the store through the sliding glass doors.  I broke out laughing when I realised I was looking at my own reflection and that of my trolley in said glass doors! 

There I was waiting for me to exit when I hadn’t yet entered.  Who was going to move first...give way first?  A Mexican standoff ensued. I could have stood there all day long, but, finally I took the trolley by the horns, and entered the store. The exiting me thanked me for my politeness.  By golly...that’s how to be jolly with a trolley...

And, then there was the time in Sydney in the mid-80s....another moment of hilarity for me caused by me. 

At the time I was manager of the then Hinchinbrook Island Resort in North Queensland. I was in Sydney attending a tourism expo, promoting the island resort and surrounds as a choice holiday destination.

Clad in a stylish women’s Pierre Cardin pant suit, high heels, well-groomed hair and make-up, I felt very glamorous in my smart outfit. Cocktail in hand, I mingled with other attendees in a crowded bar at the Sydney Hilton. 

My bubble of confidence rudely burst when I looked down and noticed the fly on my chic trousers wasn’t, not even at half-mast, but unceremoniously fully lowered!

Hoping no one had noticed my uncouth public display, surreptitiously, I re-zipped, embarrassed, yet amused by my fashion faux pas. My unintentional social blunder brought me swiftly crashing back down to earth (or carpeted floor). My brief feeling of being a member of the catwalk brigade alongside the likes of Cindy Crawford, Kate Moss, Heidi Klum, Gisele Bündchen et al disappeared without my even making the back cover of Vogue magazine! 

It’s no secret I’ve never strutted my stuff for Victoria...or any other state, for that matter.

 I did, at the age of eight years, sashay along a catwalk in tune with the joyful song, “The Teddy Bear’s Picnic”.

I was the one and only juvenile member of the fashion parade hosted by a Gympie dress salon.  As she frequently did for such parades, my mother was a model.  I adored the dress I was showing off...a crisp white voile dress with emerald green embroidery and an emerald green satin sash to match. I loved the melody which accompanied my strutting. 

Carried away under the spotlight...from the smell of the make-up, and the roar of the madding crowd...I literally had to be dragged off the stage!  Not quite “dragged’, but a lot of urging, beckoning and encouragement from the wings went on until finally the message got through to my brain. 

The images from so long ago remain embedded in my mind.  It was not only the teddy bears who had a picnic that evening. The innocent enjoyment the little girl felt all those years ago still amuses me, causing laughter.

As you can tell...it takes little to amuse me...   Not a bad way to be, in my opinion...particularly during this time of gloom and doom....

 

Picnic Muffins: Preheat oven 200c.  Spray a 12 hole, deep muffin tray. Add 5tbs x-virgin oil, 2tbs cooled, melted butter, 1 large egg and 240ml buttermilk to bowl. Mix using a fork or balloon whisk. Add 250g plain flour, 1tsp baking powder, 1tsp bicarbonate soda, 85g grated parmesan, 1/4tsp salt, 1/4tsp garlic salt, a few sprigs chopped parsley, and 6 Prosciutto slices, chopped into small pieces. Mix together with wooden spoon until just combined (don’t over-stir or the muffins will be tough). Add 1tbs of the muffin mixture to each of the holes. Using 12 hard-boiled, peeled eggs, place one on top, in each of the holes; then top with remaining muffin mixture. Push mixture down the sides and around the egg using a spoon. Sprinkle each with grated parmesan; place in oven. Cook for 5mins, then turn oven down to 175C; cook a further 12-14mins – until the tops are golden brown. Once cooked, leave to cool in tin for 10mins before removing.

Veggie Picnic Pinwheels: Set aside 1/2c each of thinly sliced capsicum strips, thinly sliced carrot strips, thinly sliced yellow capsicum strips, baby spinach leaves and shredded purple cabbage.Mix together 2/3rd cup whipped cream cheese and 1tbs ranch powder until thoroughly combined. Spread mixture evenly over the 4 large tortillas. Leaving a 2.5cm border on all sides, lay out 1tbs of each vegetable in rows across tortillas; top with shredded chicken. Roll up each tortilla tightly.  If the tortillas refuse to remain closed, you can use a toothpick or two to do the job....or tie with chives or shallots.  

 


 


 

17 comments:

  1. I laugh at myself too, every time I say or do something stupid, which happens more often as the years go by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to be able to keep one's self amused, River...and cheap, too. No need to go to funny movies etc. :)

      Take good care...thanks for coming by...and keep smiling and laughing! :)

      Delete
  2. I also laugh at myself. Often. With good reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have good reason here, too, to laugh at myself, EC. (I'm sure there are a few who laugh at me behind my back, too!) :)

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  3. I agree with you on the issue of laughing at ones's self. I believe it is healthy, Sorry, I can't remember now an example of that sort of laughing.
    I see, looking at your recipes, that you are in the picnic mood. This is going perhaps (weather and covid-19 permitting) to be a picnic month because of our Independence Day, and Spring awakening in Nature.

    ReplyDelete
  4. G'day DUTA....We didn't have picnic weather here over Easter...lots of rain was received, along with some strong winds...but all has calmed down again. I was happy to stay at home (always am, so there was nothing unusual about that)...I had a lazy weekend...by choice. :)

    Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is good to be joyful and to laugh at ones own silliness. Much better than being a sour puss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's is for sure, Miss Mimi! :)

      Take care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  6. As always, fun post:)
    Those drawings are wonderful.
    Hope you had an enjoyable Easter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandra. My Easter weekend was spent, by choice, very quietly...and I enjoyed it! I hope your Easter weekend was everything you wanted it to be, too...with loads of chocolate thrown in for good measure! :)

      Take care..thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  7. I did enjoy reading your post while listening to Frank sing of the teddy bears picnic. Come to think of it I haven't given myself a laugh at all today. But there's still plenty of time. I've discovered it's very disconcerting when I wake myself up laughing. The sound gives me a fright and then I'm left wondering what was so funny. Hate missing out on a joke. Keep smiling, Lee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, Pauline...I've not yet managed to have a laugh at myself today, either...the day is still young, though! Anything is likely to happen! :)

      Until I put up that video, it has been a long time since I'd heard "Teddy Bears' Picnic"...it certainly does take me back many, many years! I almost got up and started to strut my stuff, but thought better of the idea! :)

      Thanks for coming by...I hope all is well over your way. :)

      Delete
  8. It souunds as though you have a perfect sense of humor. When we can laugh at ourselves we a safe from so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tabor...but not safe from those fellows with the straight-jackets! I'm managed to elude them...so far!! ;)

      I hope all is well with you and your loved ones. Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  9. That story about seeing your reflection in the supermarket glass was pretty funny, Lee. At least you were [polite to yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was funny, Beatrice. My mind was away with the fairies at the time, I think! I shared my "moment of glory" with some of the supermarket staff. They saw the funny side of my grand performance, too. They're a good lot and I get on well with them...always have a chat and a laugh with them when I pay my usual weekly visit. :)

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  10. I like your drawings.
    The recipes are good.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete