Saturday, March 27, 2021

HURRY UP! HOP TO IT! DUST OFF YOUR EASTER BONNET!

 










Some of you may recall in previous years I’ve mentioned my friend Clint. To put your mind at ease...yes, Clint Lindt, my chocolate bunny, immaculately clad in his golden suit, remains in residence, rent-free, safe and secure, fully chilled-out in my fridge.

And there, Clint shall stay. I should plan a birthday party for him. Many a year has passed since I adopted Clint.  It’s about time we had a celebration.  After Easter weekend has come and gone would probably be the best plan.  I don’t want to put the fear of God in him by throwing an Easter party!  

I was eyeing off the Lindt chocolate bunnies in IGA, our local supermarket, the other day, tossing up whether or not I’d get Clint a roommate, but I decided against the idea. Bunnies breed like rabbits, I’ve heard.  If that is the case, I’d soon have a herd of bunnies hopping around in my fridge, leaving no room for anything else. By the permanent smile on Clint’s face, I think he’s happy the way he is in his domain.

As long as I’ve got a good supply of Cherry Ripes and Batch 37 Darrell Lea Liquorice on hand to chew through...I’ll be content throughout Easter, and beyond.  In readiness, I’ve already begun stockpiling!  I’ve previously admitted I’ve not yet grown up...additional evidence not required.

When my late brother, Graham and I were kids our brightly-feathered, most generous Easter Bird...not Bunny...was an early bird....always arriving during the wee small hours of Good Friday morn, not to catch a worm, but to deposit a stack of Easter eggs in the nests we’d made with dried grass. The nests were snugly fitted into our rather large sun hats.  Knowing where we’d find our eggs, we never had to go in hunt.  

Fish was always our Good Friday fare, and Easter Sunday lunch was, without fail, a grand affair.  Knowing what lay ahead, we’d scurry home from Sunday School.  

Sunday School was conducted in the Scots’ aka Presbyterian Church, a couple of blocks from where we lived.  In those years Gympie boasted two Presbyterian Churches.  Many Scots settled in the Gympie area having flocked to the rich goldfields in the mid-1800s in search of a nugget or two.  My Scottish ancestors were part of the early influx.

As a carefree teenager, along with a couple of girlfriends, our Easter long weekends were spent at the coast...either Mooloolaba or Noosa Heads...mostly Noosa.  We’d head off after work on Easter Thursday, returning home again on Easter Monday afternoons.

 Also, one year I spent Easter weekend participating in a honeymoon...mine. 

In my case, neither a coastal Easter, nor a honeymoon, will ever occur again in the foreseeable or, unforeseeable future.  Nowadays I prefer to stick at home munching on my delicious treats, with my two furry mates as company.  Thankfully, they don’t have a sweet tooth between them.  Very spoiled, with many treats of their liking, they want for little, if anything.  I suppose, I could give them a couple of Kit Kats.

To compensate for what they miss out on in the sweets’ department, I’ll make Remy and Shama, my feline best buddies, an Easter bonnet each to wear over the Easter weekend. The three of us will have our own Easter Parade. We’ll prance around in tune to Gene Autry’s “Peter Cottontail”.  Don’t spend too much time thinking about it, you’ll spoil the image!

The thought of warm Hot Cross buns loaded with lashings of butter (definitely never margarine!) and raspberry jam is already making my mouth water.  Diet?  What diet?   

Locked in with my furry rascals, armed with an Amazon load of Cherry Ripes, Batch 37 Liquorice, Hot Cross buns, maybe a chocolate Easter egg or two, along with Netflix and Stan (not Stan the Man, but the streaming service)...and Clint, the Untouchable...I’ll be well-primed for Easter. 

Have a safe and Happy Easter...whichever, whatever way you choose to spend the special weekend. Take care if you're out on the roads....take care wherever you may be....

Enjoy the company of the people you’re with.  If you’re alone, enjoy your own company; if you have a pet or two...cherish the companionship of your furry or feathered mates.  That's what I intend doing with my two four-legged, furry-pawed beloved roomies...

 

Easy Fish Bake: Preheat oven 180C. Grease 20x30cm baking dish. Bring saucepan of lightly salted water to boil; add 1kg boneless fish fillets; cook 4-6 mins; drain. Melt 3tbs in a med-saucepan; remove from heat; mix in 6tbs plain flour, ½-1tbs mustard powder and 2c milk. Return to stove over med-heat; stir until thickened; season. Flake fish into baking dish alternating layers with sauce. Sprinkle top liberally with grated cheddar (add some dry breadcrumbs and parmesan to the cheddar, if desired). Bake 20-25mins, or until browned.

Chocolate Bird Nests: Melt 700g semi-sweet choc chips, or choc chips of choice; stir often, until smooth and creamy. Stir in 1/2c peanut paste/butter, if desired. Break up into small pieces, 375g pretzels; add to melted chocolate; mix to fully coat. Line 2 baking sheets; place scoops of mixture onto pans. Press mini Easter eggs or M&Ms into centre. Set at room temp, 1hr; or chill in fridge. Store at room temp.  If desired, add 1/2c shredded coconut to choc mix for scragglier looking nests.

Hot Cross Bun Pudding: Preheat oven 180C, fan-forced. Butter baking dish. Slice 6 Hot Cross buns into bread slice thickness. Butter slices on one side; jam of choice on the other. Arrange slices on baking dish. Blend together 200g cream, 50g milk, 20g sugar and 4 eggs. Pour over the Hot Cross buns; allow it to soak in for 5mins. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Loosely cover with foil.  Bake in oven for 20-30mins, or until golden brown and set. 

 


 


29 comments:

  1. Hot cross bun pudding would never happen here. No bun would last long enough to be made into any pudding. I miss batch 57 licorice, I've had to give it up since I broke one of my remaining molars the last time I chewed licorice. If I ever get around to getting a denture made so I have some chewing teeth, I'll be buying batch 57 again!
    Happy Easter to Clint Lindt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, River. At the rate I'm chewing, I'll have to buy some more Bin 37 before the coming weekend! :)

      Clint waved back when I opened the fridge door a short while ago!

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  2. A blessed and beautiful Happy Easter to you and your furry and chocolaty family. That pudding sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi messymimi...My Easter will be spent very quietly with my two furry buddies..just the way I like it. I've nothing planned...and intend to keep it that way. :)

      Take care...thanks for coming by. I hope your Easter is as you like it, too. :)

      Delete
  3. A very happy Easter to you and your furry roommates - and a happy birthday to Clint. If I am feeling very friendly I might make your hot cross bun pudding for himself. He would love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey EC....I have to admit...I'll just be eating my Hot Cross buns with lashings of butter and jam. Too lazy to make the pudding just for me! Anyway, I'll also be too busy eating my Cherry Ripes and liquorice! :)

      I hope your Easter weekend is all you want it to be...take care...thanks for coming by....lots of extra cuddles for Jazz. :)

      Delete
  4. I miss Easter happenings. We had baskets filled with chocolate rabbits and sugar candies. We added the eggs we found on the hunt to our baskets. Church was then a big part of our Easter Celebrations...Palm Sunday followed by Maundy Thursday and Good Friday leading to the Resurection. Now I skip church all together and feel guilt creeping in on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Annie...I don't go to church, and other than being a guest to a few weddings over the years, I haven't been to church since I was in my very early teens. I don't feel any guilt. I'm not a religious person....just the way I am. :)

      Have yourself a happy Easter weekend with your family. Take good care. Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  5. I remember you telling us about Clint! I hope that after Easter he has a lovely birthday party!
    Happy Easter to you and your sweet furry mates!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glint has a glint in his eye, Bonnie...and says "G'day!" to you. :)

      A Happy Easter to you, too...I hope a relaxed, enjoyable weekend is ahead for you and your loved ones. Take good care. Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  6. Do you have the Cadbury creme egg that is filled with chocolate? It us to die for! I really like the original one, the one with yellow and white in the middle and also the caramel one but the chocolate one is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do believe we have, Kay...there are so many varieties on the market from which to choose. I intend spending some more time browsing and choosing when I do my final pre-Easter visit to our local supermarket on Wednesday! Look out chocolate, here I come! :)

      Have a Happy Easter...take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  7. I shopped at an international grocery store recently, saw some Australian candy and picked up a Violet Crumble. Ever hear of it? It was pretty good but I suspect there's better down under there.

    We have no plans for Easter though we will be house-sitting for our son who, like your Easters in your youth, are going to warmer temperatures and the beach. We'll be dog-sitting.

    Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Dave...of course I've heard of Violet Crumble...I've got some here. I love it, and have done since I was a kid. :)

      I've no plans for Easter, either. My two furry rascals will be human-sitting me!

      Thanks for coming by...a relaxed Happy Easter to you and your family. Take good care. :)

      Delete
  8. Hot cross bun pudding sounds like a posh version of bread and butter pudding which was a staple when my kids were growing up, the kids loved it. If hot cross buns came into the house there would never be any left over for a pudding. They are the best part of Easter in my book. I love chocolate Easter eggs but they carry more than their fair share of guilt.

    Have a happy Easter with your furry rascals, Clint and those yummy Cheery Ripe. I'm sure I could push the guilt out of the way for a Cherry Ripe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Pauline. I love bread and butter pudding, and have made many over the years...but haven't done so for quite a while now. Not worth it just for me.

      Guilt can go away for the Easter weekend...and never come back if it so desires! :)

      A Happy Easter to you...take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  9. My son gives his son the same chocolate bunny from the time he was two (he just turned 21). Why spend money when the first one was perfect

    I hope you have a sunny week, Lee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Arleen...this week has been vastly different to last week...this time last week the rain was relentlessly pelting down.

      No wonder Clint Lindt is smiling at me every time I open the door to my fridge...he knows he's safe...that I will never eat him! :)

      Have yourself a relaxed and happy Easter...take good care. Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  10. Easter seems to have crept up on us ... but I did get the Easter Chicks décor out :)

    That Fish Bake does look nice and easy.
    We do enjoy fish so I may well give it a go!

    Enjoy Easter week and have a lovely Easter.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  11. PS Hope you are doing ok weather-wise, are things slowly improving with the floods etc?

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jan...Firstly...all is well here, weather-wise, thanks. The heavy downpours ceased last Thursday. I was flood-free here where I live, but many other areas, particularly in New South Wales were hit by devastating flooding...and they're still in the midst of the massive clean-ups.

      Easter has crept up on us...very quickly. I intend to spend the weekend very quietly...just the way I like it these days. My best wishes to you and your family for Easter, too. Take good care.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  12. In two and a half days, our Passover week will be over.I'll be glad to eat a piece of fresh bread on Sunday, after a week of eating 'matzot' - unleavened bread, and sticking to various rules and traditions.
    Have a very Happy Easter, dear Lee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, DUTA...there's nothing quite like fresh bread! Perhaps the aroma of it baking beats it! :)

      Thanks for your good wishes, and for coming by. Take good care, DUTA. I'm already eyeing off my chocolate supply. :)

      Delete
  13. Loved this post and the fact that eggs were deposited in the nests you made.
    Hoppy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra...it was always such fun building our nests...we'd race home from school and get straight on to the job! :)

      I hope you have a relaxed, Happy Easter, Sandra...thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  14. First, wishing you and your feline friends, a Happy Easter weekend, Lee, and your holiday plans sound very nice to me. As for our own we are spending the weekend visiting RI family for the first time in 16 months, feeling more comfortable since being vaccinated a few weeks ago. I haven't had hot cross buns in a long time, but this post has me thinking that a trip to the local bakery might be a good stop for Friday a.m. breakfast with some hot coffee and YES butter always. I forgot about the Easter bonnet song in Holiday Inn, but we will continue our "tradition" of watching the Easter Parade film classic this week. I am looking forward to hav ing a peanut butter egg on Easter as I gave up all sweets and treats during Lent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Beatrice...I'll bet you are all excited to be able to get together for Easter. It sounds like a happy one is in store for you and your loved ones.

      I hope you popped in to the local bakery and grabbed yourself some Hot Cross buns...yum! I'll be warming mine up in my oven.

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. Happy Easter to you and yours! :)

      Delete
  15. Happy Easter! I made some hot cross buns for the first time ever today. I got a recipe for wholemeal ones and if I say so myself they worked well. Instead of the sticky jam glaze the recipe recommended, too sweet for me, I mixed icing sugar with squeezed lemon juice, like you do for a lemon drizzle cake. It worked a treat on the buns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Jenny! Good on you for making Hot Cross buns! I bet they are delicious and the lemon glaze sounds great! Yum!!!

      My best wishes to you for a Happy Easter...enjoy the long weekend...take good care, and thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete