Monday, July 12, 2021

SASHA, THE BRAVE

 




The above are not pictures of Sasha and Smocka...but both are very much like how they were...

Graphite drawing by me...


At various times through the years in posts I’ve mentioned Sasha, my much-loved ginger cat.  It was in 1967, as a little kitten around the age of 6 weeks, he came into my life and I, into his. At the time I was married to Mervyn, my first husband.  When Mervyn and I separated in 1968, I gained custody of Sasha, which was a no-brainer, of course.  

In rapid time, from the moment he came into my life, Sasha, had become my shadow.  When I was at home, he was always by my side.  He was my best buddy. 

A big ginger fellow with a proud demeanour, a snowy white chest and belly, he feared little, if anything.   I’d named him after the little boy, the son, in Boris Pasternak’s. “Doctor Zhivago”.

Mervyn and I had been living in Moray Street, New Farm, an inner Brisbane suburb.  Upon our separation, I moved down the street a bit, and around a corner to set up camp in Oxlade Drive...still in New Farm...in a river-front flat.  My new small home, which consisted of one bedroom, bathroom, lounge/dining area and kitchen. was the portioned-off rear section of a home owned by an elderly lady who was rarely present.  She spent the majority of her time visiting her son who lived in Port Moresby. 

My bedroom opened up to a grand vista of the Brisbane River, and across to the suburb of Hawthorne.  Four stairs led down from the small landing out from my bedroom, down to the yard. From there it was only a few strides and you found yourself on the wide grassy verge bordering the river.  Back then I’d sleep with my bedroom door open, something one couldn’t do safely these days, unfortunately.

Early in 1970, I relocated from New Farm to Toowong, into a two-bedroom, upstairs’ unit in a newly-constructed block of six units.   

A year or two after living in the upstairs unit, I moved into what had been the owner/manager’s unit...a townhouse at the rear of the building.  Two bedrooms and the bathroom were on the upper level, with a carpeted staircase leading down to the lower level which consisted of lounge/dining, kitchen, and laundry leading off from the latter.  With the relocation, I also took over the management of the rest of the units in the block.

On the day of my move from New Farm to Toowong I’d hired a removalist to do the heavy lifting and shifting.  (When I left Gympie in 1965, to work in Brisbane I shared a flat, with another girl, for about nine months.  The flat was in Toowong).

Sasha disappeared during the loading of my furniture, and odds and ends.  My belief nothing scared him was shattered.  Perhaps change, lots of activity and a truck were what he feared.

My concern wasn’t warranted, I discovered, to my relief.   

I found Sasha contentedly curled up in the back of the removalist’s truck, on top of one of the many cartons. He was ready to go.  He made it very obvious, I wasn't going anywhere without him.  In no way was he at all ruffled.  Sasha never ceased to amaze me, and amaze me he did that day.

A couple of years after settling into the apartment at Toowong, I adopted a kitten.  I named him “Smocka”.  

 By some unfeeling, heartless person Smocka's mother had been dumped on the property when she was due to give birth to her little furry family.

Animals should never be under-estimated.  The mother cat sensed I had a love for cats.   There is no other explanation why, a few hours after giving birth, she brought each one of her bubs to me...setting up a cosy home for herself and her kittens in my laundry.

I managed to give three of her four kittens away to friends, who I knew would give them safe, happy homes, keeping one, Smocka, for myself.  From the moment he opened his eyes, Smocka attached himself to me.  He picked me.  I had no choice.  It was what it was.  He was a dear, sweet-natured little fellow. His steely-blue-grey coat and amber-green eyes betrayed perhaps some higher breeding in his genetics. I think his mother may have been playing around amongst the "upper-classes".

Immediately, Sasha became Smocka's mentor.  He protectively guarded Smocka, his little, new best mate.  Never did he utter a miaow of dissent towards him.  Not once was there any display of jealousy or anger shown by Sasha towards Smocka.

One Saturday morning I returned from shopping to find Smocka bailed up at my front screen door. Having come from bright sunlight, into the shade of the carport, at first I didn't see my furry friend in the shadows.  

However, I did, immediately, see a white boxer dog, with the hairs on it back raised, at my door.  At once, the hairs on my own back rose!  A low, guttural growl was issuing from the dog’s mouth.

Once my eyes adjusted to the light, I saw Smocka frozen on the spot with the dog about an inch or two from him.  

I froze, too, not wanting to make a sudden move, believing all hell would break loose if I did so, and knowing Smocka would become the victim.

Fear took over my being as I stood there wondering what to do next to save my little mate.  

It was then I noticed Sasha. Stealthily, all puffed up ready for battle, quietly he strode with determined intent across the yard at the rear of my apartment. I remained rooted to the spot.  Somehow, I knew Sasha had the matter under control.

The albino boxer had no idea what was in store for him. He was too concentrated on Smocka to be aware of what was going on around him.

Proudly, and in awe, I watched as Sasha approached the unwary dog. Having snuck up behind him, with one quick movement and a flash of claw, Sasha struck out at the unsuspecting dog. Sasha quickly followed with another massive blow to the dog's nose. The dog let out a couple of surprised, woeful cries, and with blood pouring from his face he ran backwards. I immediately flew to the screen door, and ushered Smocka inside. Sasha was prepared to continue the battle, but I picked him up and put him inside as well.

I turned to chase the dog, which by then had given a few loud whelps and had run, in fear and shock, when it's owner, who was visiting a ground-level unit the apartment block, came out to see what the turmoil was about.

Sneering, he looked at me, and, in a half-smart tone, said, "My dog would have any cat for breakfast!"

He wasn't very smart in saying that to me, considering the mood I was in. I moved closer to him, standing 12 to 18 inches from him...up close and personal. Looked him directly in the eye, I replied.

"If your dog had as much as touched a single fur on my cat's body, it wouldn't be alive at this moment, of that you can be sure! It would've had to deal with me, as would have you!

And another thing you should know...albino boxers are illegal. They are supposed to be put-down at birth. Secondly, you are a visitor to the property and dogs are not allowed, especially unleashed dogs, so I advise you to leave right this moment and take that mongrel with you before I report you both!"

As meek as a reprimanded child, the dog owner backed down without a further word.  He and his dog left, both with their tails between their legs.

I was so proud of Sasha that day.  He was my hero...he was Smocka’s hero.

 

****Addendum...At the time this incident took place I was employed by the Kolotex Group of Companies...I worked for them for 14 years.  One of my co-workers and her husband bred boxer dogs.  Constantly she talked about their dogs, driving her co-workers crazy!  It was through her I learned about the sad fate in store for albino boxers.  

Please do not misunderstand me....I love dogs.  It’s some careless dog owners who are the problem!

Like the person who lives across the way from here where I live.  She has a doberman which she lets run free.  I chased it out of the yard yesterday.  Remy and Shama are indoor cats.  I’d be full of anxiety if they weren’t, with this large dog running around the place, un-tethered


26 comments:

  1. I live far away from you so never knew Sasha, but I am very proud of what he did that day. Also glad that you told that young man to bugger off and take his illegal dog with him. Why are albino boxers illegal? Is there something wrong with their mentality?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi River...I certainly did tell that fellow where to go...and he got the message promptly. He had a very arrogant attitude. I never saw him or his dog again.

      Never have been part of the dog-breeding world, River...I'm not sure the reasons why the albino boxer pups used to be euthanised. I think one of the reasons could have been because of deafness...there probably other reasons, sadly. I think attitudes and practises have now changed since the time I describe above. There are white boxers...but the ones my breeder friend described were the true albino.

      Thanks for coming by. Take care. :)

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful inspiring story in your past Lee. Wonderful cat who was protecting his mate. Cat's a great and the photos of them are just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Margaret...I've had cats in my life since I was a wee toddler...they've always been my best mates. The pictures shown above are not of Sasha and Smocka...but very much look like how they both did. They were beautiful cats..I loved them dearly.

      Thanks for coming by...take care. :)

      Delete
  3. Both cats looked adorable! I like the way of Sasha being protective of the new adopted cat, Smocka.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day DUTA...Sasha was the King...the Lord of the Manor, and he made sure it was known to all and sundry...including uninvited dogs in his territory with harm on their minds. Poor little Smocka had a much milder nature, but big brother Sasha was always there to protect him! :)

      Take care..thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  4. Sadly it is rarely the dog that is the problem. Their owners are a very different kettle of fish.
    Hooray for Sasha. And I hope that young man learned his lesson (and that his dog did too).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Tis true about the dog owners, EC. One across the way from where I live here allows her large doberman to run free. It's not fair on the dog, or the neighbours.

      There are some, sadly, who never learn.

      Take care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  5. There are equal numbers of irresponsible cat owners too. The havoc cats permitted to wander at will do to native wildlife is staggering. A former neighbour used to be very pleased with the "treasures" her cat brought to her - Star-nosed Moles aplenty, chipmunks, red squirrels and once, four recently fledged Northern Cardinals seized the moment they hit the ground on their first fluttering, unstable flight. Furthermore, it dug up my garden pooped in the flowerbeds, and wandered at will. Dog owners at least are required to have a licence for their animal, make sure it has its shots, walk it on a leash and so on. Some daffy person can own twenty cats if he or she so chooses, with not a regulation for any of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It appears I touched a nerve, David. I related a story that related to me...my experience. And I can tell you here and now, if that dog had harmed Smocka, I would have had no hesitation in harming it...and its irresponsible owner!! We are surrounded by many ignorant people..in all walks of life.

      I, for one, do not need a lecture on the beauty of nature and on the wonderful creatures within our midst and beyond.

      I agree...there are irresponsible cat owners. but it was not them I wrote about in this instance. My cats are indoor cats. And I always have been a responsible owner of cats...and dogs.

      Take care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  6. Love your sketch. You art work always chills me and I wish you would post more of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, Annie...that's very nice of you to say...thank you. And thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  7. great story and sketch, although in this country a boxer would have more of a mushed in snout; if the dog had dark eyes he wasn't a true albino, my sister raises, breeds and shows boxers and my parents used to before her raise and show boxers, it used to be the practice to put down white boxers here but now folks have them neutered and sell or give them away as pets, I have known a few boxers who have killed cats, most do not but some do

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda....Yes, everything you say re white boxers is true. Once upon a time white boxers had the colour bred into them. It has been said the white boxer was the original boxer. I believe the practice of euthanasia of the albino pups has now ceased. I think back in the years I describe above it was the red-eyed albino boxer that was put down.

      The dog that day as described above was on a mission...and poor little, terrified Smocka was its target. If I hadn't arrived when I did, I dread to think what would have happened.

      My sketch isn't of a boxer, of course.

      Thanks for coming by..take care. :)

      Delete
  8. My opinion has always been that i do not care what kind of animal you own, as long as you know how to properly care for it, it doesn't harm anyone or anything, it doesn't wake me up and night with its noises, and i don't step on its mess in my yard.

    Sasha was very brave, it reminds me of the story Laura Ingalls Wilder told in her book about their cat. It would jump on the back of the invading dog and hang on, clawing and scratching, leading the dog to run howling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, messymimi...I am of the same opinion...regarding the care of animals...no matter what the kind. Humans must...should...act responsibly when it comes to caring for their animals..cats, dogs, birds...whichever, whatever.... And, lets face it...by doing so, the rewards are never-ending.

      Sasha was a warrior. He was a special fellow in so many ways.

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  9. As always with your autobiographical stories I was mesmerised from start to finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Graham...good to see you as always. Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  10. You're a great story teller, Lee. I think I actually held my breath waiting for Sasha to come to the rescue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never lost that image of Sasha stealthily, determinedly striding towards that dog, Pauline.

      He had one thing in mind, and one thing only, and that was to save his little mate. The dog didn't have a clue what what was in store for him. There was nothing I could do....thankfully Sasha took charge. I certainly was on the edge!

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  11. Thanks for sharing this story about your beloved felines, Lee. As much as I also like cats, preferable to dogs, and we have owned them in the past, but are now pet-less. I read the previous comments and agree that some pet owners can be careless and irresponsible. Glad Sasha protected his buddy and hope that dog and its owner learned their lessons, although doubtful about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beatrice. Pet owners, of all types of animals, should be responsible for them and their behaviour...if they're not responsible owners, they shouldn't have pets.

      I've had cats in my life since I was a toddler...and at different periods, dogs. At my age now, my two furry best buddies will be the last pets I will have.

      Some complain about cats burying their "business" in their garden beds, at least cats bury their waste...dogs leave theirs out in the open...it's not much fun stepping in their droppings, that is for sure!

      I was very proud of Sasha that morning. He was a special cat, in many ways.

      Thanks for coming by...take care. :)

      Delete
  12. What a wondrous story and what wonderful 4 legged friends. We love them all, but some have a special place in our heart that they will always reside in.
    Why are albino boxers illegal?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra...I;m not really sure about all the minute details re the albino boxer dogs. I think the thoughts have changed nowadays to what they were back then. My co-worker, as I said, bred and showed boxers...and she talked non-stop about them, their habits etc., etc.

      Our pets are wonderful creatures. I love dearly, and have loved all the pets I've had during my life.

      Thanks for coming by...take care. :)

      Delete
  13. No matter what pet you have it is the owners responsibility and unfortunately you always get those who are more responsible than others ...

    I enjoyed the pictures you've chosen for this post, and your drawing is very good.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true, Jan, sadly.

      Take care and thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete