Sunday, August 08, 2021

SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXPIALIDOCIOUS!

 



Italy's Gianmarco Tamberi and Qatar's Mutaz Essa Barshim decided to share the gold medal in the men's high jump in the Tokyo Olympic Games

Tamberi (on left) congratulating his ountryman, Lamont Marcell Jacobs on his 100m Gold Medal wub

 

 



 

Watching the Olympic Games much shouting went on around here...by me. My voice is only now getting back to normal, as are my neighbours’ ears.  I discovered I could hold my breath for ages without expiring.  So much excitement!  It will take a month of Sundays and a year of Saturdays for me to recover. 

The fearless skateboarders grabbed my attention, and held it.  I’m going to drain my neighbours’ fish ponds, with the intention of using them, the emptied ponds, not my neighbours, to hone my skills in readiness for Paris...a gold medal awaits!   

BMX beckons, too.  I’ve a good chance there, as well, if only I could find my bike...and get on it!

Oh! Boy! Having had lots of practice through the years, I cleared some hurdles. 

Diving into the deep end as I waited for the gymnastics to begin stopped me from climbing the wall.  I jumped through hoops, but got tangled. To top it off, the ribbons strangled me. I needed balls to finish off the rhythmic gymnastics.  The floor events did me in even though I’m a good tumbler. It took me forever to get back up off the floor.  On the uneven bars I performed well, which wasn’t surprising, I suppose.  Although, it has been a number of years since I sat at a bar, even or uneven, even.

There were many magical moments during the Olympics. The respect shown between the competitors was inspirational.  All who participated deserve medals.  In my opinion, there were no losers.  Each and every one who competed is a winner. Going from strength to strength, the competitors, in every event, proved dreams can come true.  The senses of self-belief, self-worth and respect for others – the camaraderie - shown throughout the Olympics give one hope people everywhere, not only within our own fair shores, can become better persons; that greed in all its forms, and envy, the most destructive and ugliest of traits, no longer exist.  

So a few “f-bombs” and “s-bombs” were dropped, who cares?  I’d be a hypocrite if I complained about the exuberant utterances. I exuberantly utter such utterances often....

A lasting vision, which will be shown over and over again, one which will never become boring or repetitious...is Dean Boxall’s untethered reaction to Ariarne Titmus’ first gold medal.  Arnie winning her sought-after gold, and her coach’s unrestrained, spontaneous celebration were, I believe, how the rest of we Aussies were feeling when we witnessed her achievement.  For me a similar feeling continued throughout the two weeks.

Never one to shy away from the truth, I’m a sook...a big sook.  I shed many tears of pure joy and pride as I watched the Olympians. 

How could one not get misty-eyed when the high jumpers, Italy’s Tamberi and Qatar’s Barshim, shared the gold medal?  It was a sight to behold; sportsmanship at its best. Topping it off was Tamberi’s reaction when his fellow countryman, Lamont Marcell Jacobs, won gold in the men’s 100 metres final. Jacobs’s win created history by earning Italy its first ever gold medal in the event. It was the first time since 2004 someone who isn’t Usain Bolt has won the title. Yep! Once again my tears flowed.

The spirit of the Games was tangible.

As a keen spectator via my TV, so much fun was had by me while watching the breathtaking efforts of those who participated in the various, heart-stopping events.  

The spirit of the Games was tangible.  The Olympics were a welcome relief from the myriad troubles of today’s world...a welcome reprieve from the abounding confusion, hypocrisy, and contradictions thrown at us day after day, hour after hour.  The Games were what reality TV should be at all times...not that other stuff!!  

It was two weeks of laughter, cheers and tears...no jeers.  Pure gold!  

Will I be watching the Paralympics? Too right I will.  Will my tears flow once more, too right they will! I don’t have nerves of steel...mine are as soft as marshmallows

 

In the words of David Bowie; “We can be heroes...”  It shouldn’t be an impossible dream. Imagine what a wonderful world it would be if it were possible. Freddie said it well...”We are the champions!”   Worthy goals for each one of us, not only the Olympians, to strive for.....

 

 

No-Bake Marshmallow Pie: Combine 1½c crumbed granita or marie biscuits, 1/3c white sugar and 6tbs melted butter. Press into base and sides of buttered 9-inch pie pan. Chill. Beat 2c cream until soft peaks form. Melt 300g mini marshmallows in pan over low heat with 1/4c milk. Cool; then mix in whipped cream.  Spoon into pie crust; top with biscuit crumbs; chill at least 4hrs. Garnish with fresh strawberries, if desired.

Chocolate-Caramel Marshmallow Bars: Grease and line a 6cm deep 22cm square brownie tin with baking paper. Blitz 250g granitas to crumbs. Add 199g melted butter; mix well; press into base of pan. Using heavy based saucepan over very low heat, dissolve 300g white sugar into 1/3c water while gently stirring. Use a pastry brush with a little water to rid pan sides of any sugar. Stop stirring when sugar dissolves; turn heat up to med-low; bring to slow boil. Boil 10-15mins until syrup turns a deep amber colour. Add 113g unsalted butter; stir until melted; add 1/2c thickened cream; stir well. Bring caramel back to boil, about 6-7mins; stir often until mixture thickens and is a dark golden brown colour. Drizzle a little caramel over biscuit base; place 280g vanilla marshmallows (if using large, cut in half) over top, pressing them quite close together. Pour remaining caramel over top allowing it to drizzle down into the gaps. Chill for at least half an hour before proceeding. Topping: Melt 300g milk chocolate in 30sec increments; stir well between each burst until just melted; pour melted chocolate over top; spread evenly; chill  until set.  

 

 

 

 

 

20 comments:

  1. All praise to the competitors. I saw almost none of it, which doesn't diminish my respect. Mind you, I don't classify them as heroes (which some tend to do). Extremely skilled athletes yes, heroes no.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi EC...I saw almost all of it...and loved every moment. The sacrifices made by, not only the competitors, but their families, coaches...all who are involved behind the scenes, year after year, deserve high praise in my book.

      Representing their country...representing the human spirit...makes them all very worthy in my eyes, heart and mind.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  2. I am usually an equally enthusiastic fan of the Olympics. This time I was distracted and didn't see many events. I delight in your joy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pauline...I had little to distract me....I was engrossed in watching the various events...wonderful, wonderful!

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  3. I watched the games and loved them. So stiff from not moving around as I normally would.
    Didn't yell at the TV like you though too many ears here.
    The Australians did very well in obtaining their Gold, Silver and Bronze Medals however all chosen for the games did a wonderful job with so much dedication to their sport of their choice..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day Margaret...the joy displayed so often throughout the Games was so uplifting.

      So much goodwill, respect and pride was shown not only from team members, but between all competitors from all countries. Many lessons could be learnt...

      Win a medal or not, I take my hat off to all the the competitors from all countries.

      L thoroughly enjoyed every event I watched...and I watched a lot! lol

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  4. A very strange two weeks where years of practice seems to have paid off for some. Lets hope the disappointed ones are ready to put in another few years of practice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cathy...just getting to the Olympics...to be an Olympian is a win in itself, in my opinion. They're all champions.

      The self-discipline...the desire to achieve...I admire their work...the efforts they put in....their strength of purpose. Each and every one of them can hold his or her head high.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  5. I'm not against competitions of any sort, I'm just not pro them. Nothing new under the sun, and the world is not getting better, but much worse.
    Your pie and bars get my golden medal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi DUTA...I agree to disagree with you. You are entitled to your beliefs...I just don't agree with you on these ones.

      The world is swamped by negativity...it was a welcome respite, if only for two weeks to have waves of positivity sweep over us.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  6. Like always, I didn't watch the Olympics, (or as our commentators said "Alympics"), but I saw enough on the news each night, the best part for me was the huge happy smiles and hugs from other competitors when congratulating the medal winners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi River, Like always, as you can see, I did watch the Olympics. I didn't notice the incorrect pronunciation by some of the commentators.

      I fell in love all over again with Ian Thorpe. His commentary during the swimming events was brilliant.

      The friendship and respect between the competitors, not only between the team mates, but between the participants from all countries towards each other was terrific.

      I found the last two weeks uplifting in a time when uplifting is badly needed.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  7. During the Olympics is one of the few times i am sad we had to give up TV here (too expensive). It's just not the same reading about it in the papers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi messymimi...I a bit confused by your "give up TV here (too expensive) comment.

      The Games were worth watching...in my opinion, anyway. I loved every moment...I was engrossed by the stamina and determination....great to witness human behaviour at its best.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  8. I love that the high jumpers shared the medal. Wondrous.
    Take special care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a truly wonderful moment, Sandra. Their action took the rest of us along with them...what a feeling of true elation it was.

      There were so many magical moments throughout...those who strove for years, pushing themselves to the limits and beyond epitomised one meaning of "hero"....i.e. "A person noted for special achievement in a particular field". They sure did that.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  9. Although I didn't watch it, I enjoyed reading about the Olympics.
    Team GB have just recently been welcomed home.
    Next time I believe it's Paris.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Jan. The Games were wonderful...uplifting, inspirational and full of joy...just what was needed during this time of upheaval, uncertainty, contradictions etc. I thoroughly enjoyed watching them...and reading about them in the newspapers.

      Yes, Paris is the next location...then Los Angeles...and then Brisbane, here in Queensland.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  10. I enjoyed your very enthusiastic post about watching the Olympics, Lee. Good for you in cheering them on and sure the competitors could tell because they sure did not getting any response from a non-audience, which was sad. As you said, many athletes and their families give up so much and not to be able to have people share in their participation just seemed sad. I did not watch any of the events "live" but watched some of the online replays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Beatrice.n I've always enjoyed watch the Olympics, and the Commonwealth Games. And I will watch the Paralympics which starts on 24th August...more cheers, smiles and tears for me!!

      I admire the achievements of the athletes. Their strength of purpose. Win or lose they are champions.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete