Saturday, April 02, 2022

IT’S TIME FOR ME TO ‘FESS UP!

 


 



 

(From late afternoon Thursday, 24th March until shortly after 11 am Friday 1st April I was without phone and internet service.  It was very, very, very frustrating…to say the very least!)

 

Totally out of control, five or six years ago I went on a crime rampage…a wild spree.  In an effort to clear my conscience, I am now owning up to my wayward ways; getting the guilt off my chest before you rush off to dob me in.  I’m confessing before I get handcuffed and carted away. 

You can put your phones down!  By “crime spree”, I mean I was hooked on crime novels.

I became hooked on books about crooks written by leading authors who weren’t crook in the writing department.  For example, novels written by Val McDermid, Ian Rankin, Colin Dexter, James Patterson, Stieg Larsson, Michael Connelly,  Jonathan Kellerman, John Grisham, Elizabeth George (of course…gotta keep it in the family, so to speak), Lee Child (a girl can’t help it!)…to name a few.   

Lee Child’s character, “Jack Reacher” became a firm favourite of mine.  I can’t say similar about Tom Cruise playing Reacher in the movies. I refuse to watch the Reacher movies. I feel it would be criminal to do so.  It is the worst…or best…example of miscasting I’ve ever heard of, or not watched!  I’m not Cruise fan, anyway. I don’t watch his movies.

In Lee Child’s books Jack Reacher is 6ft 5ins tall (195.58cm).  Cruise is ‘supposedly’ 5ft 7in (170cm) tall…spot the difference?  Cruise is right out of reach to play Reacher, in my opinion. He most definitely doesn’t have the frame to play Reacher.  More suitable for the role is 6ft 2in (188cm) Alan Ritchson who plays “Reacher” in the TV series.  Ritchson is built like a brick outhouse!

Michael Connelly’s Detective Hieronymus (‘Harry’ to his friends) Bosch became a favourite when I began reading “The Black Echo”, which was Bosch’s debut. Jazz-lover Harry (we’re friends now, which allows me to call Bosch “Harry”) went on to fight crimes in a further 20 novels. Bosch has featured in his own TV series of the same name.  I became a fan of the series, too, and have just completed Season 7.  Eagerly I await the next season...Bosch begins on a new path…

Not able to get enough of Detective Chief Inspector Morse, I buried my head in Colin Dexter’s books until I turned the very last page of the very last novel.  A worthy endeavour it was.  John Thaw’s portrayal of the cynical detective in the television series was brilliant.

I’ve never read any of Caroline Graham’s series of stories about the escapades of Chief Inspector Barnaby, but I have watched the televised versions, “Midsomer Murders”. I’m presently doing a re-run of the series via streaming. 

In early 1986 I had the good fortune of meeting John Nettles, star of both “Midsomer Murders”, and the earlier British crime drama, “Bergerac”.

The encounter occurred when I was manager of the Cape Richards resort on Hinchinbrook Island.   Nettles and his then girlfriend, Sue, who was a London nurse, were guests at the resort for a week,  He was a nice, quiet, unassuming fellow. John Nettles had no airs or graces about himself.  I’m not sure if the island break broke up their relationship, but down the track a bit John married someone else.  Interestingly, his first wife, Joyce, whom he married in 1967, and divorced in 1979, became a casting director on 23 episodes of “Midsomer Murders”.  Coincidentally, Barnaby’s wife’s name in the series was “Joyce”.

Stranger things have occurred; many of them in the fictional English county of Midsomer!

The blame for my interest in crime novels falls solely on the shoulders of Enid Blyton.  It’s her fault!  Ms Blyton started me off on my insubordinate, inquisitive path. At an early age I became obsessed with her “The Famous Five” and “The Secret Seven” books.   Regularly, in my back yard, my friend, Rhonda and I got together to re-enact the entertaining Blyton stories, solving all mysteries our young imaginations allowed.

The chickens watching on in guarded silence from their coop were annoyed by our behavior, but their clucking and scratching about didn’t deter us.

There you are…I’ve cleared my conscience, and I feel much better for doing so.

 

Garlic Honey Chicken: Heat 1tsp x-virgin olive oil in pan over med-heat. Add 2c broccoli florets and 1c thinly sliced carrots; cook 4mins, until tender; then remove from pan; cover, set aside.  Wipe pan with paper towel; turn up heat; add 1tbs olive oil. Season 500g boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 1cm pieces; add to pan in single layer; cook 3-4mins per side until golden and cooked through; add 4 minced garlic cloves; cook 30secs; add vegies back to pan; cook 2mins. In bowl, whisk together 1/4c chicken broth, 1/4c soy sauce, and 3tbs honey. In another bowl mix 2tsp cornflour with 1tbs water. Pour soy mixture over chicken combo; cook for 30secs; add the cornflour; bring to the boil; cook 1min, until sauces begins to thicken; serve immediately with rice, if desired.

Honey Mustard-Glazed Chicken: Preheat oven 220C. In roasting pan, toss  500g angle-sliced parsnips, 500g quartered potatoes, 250g carrots, cut into 2cm pieces, 1 red onion, cut into 8 wedges, 2tbs olive oil, 5 sprigs of thyme and 1/2tsp salt. Roast 15mins. Place 4 small chicken thighs and 4 small drumsticks (chicken, of course) in single layer over vegetables. Sprinkle with 1/2tsp salt and 1/4tsp pepper; roast 15mins. In medium bowl, whisk 3tbs Dijon mustard, 2tbs whole-grain mustard, 2tbs honey and 1tbs brown sugar. Drizzle all over chicken and vegetables. Roast 25mins, or until chicken is cooked, and vegetables are tender.

 


 

18 comments:

  1. A time your enjoyed reading all those books of something you liked.
    Not into crime novels/books or TV stories - each to his own. My influence on that is my father being a Detective in the Police Force for many years crime was the day :)
    Oh gosh, no internet for all those days plus the phone as they go together now..but you are safe and that's the main thing.
    Take care Lee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Margaret. I can understand you not being into crime novels etc. :)

      Being without the service for a week was very frustrating, that is for sure. I depend on my landline. I do not have a mobile phone. I don't believe I should have to pay extra for one to have just as a back-up for a service I already pay for. Also mobile phones do not work satisfactorily in this humble abode. To make a call and/or to receive a call I have to go outside to do so...and that is not suitable for me.

      I had problems with the service in early March...and back in October...and now again last week. I've had enough already!!!

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  2. I share your love of crime and mystery novels. My less than stellar memory means I can often read them again. So I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey EC...I love being engrossed in a good crime novel and series. I'm known to read a book/s more than once...similar applies to series and movies. Why not, I ask? :)

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  3. I love Lee Child's Jack Reacher, the new series (season two is on the way) and the movies too. I was disappointed with Tom Cruise being chosen, but apparently his church paid big bucks to get him the role and the movies weren't so bad that I couldn't watch them.
    I have seen several seasons of Bosch, I seem to be missing seasons 5 and 6, but I'll get them soon, and I have to say I prefer the books. The seasons seem to be made in rooms without lighting a lot and it is hard for me to watch. Unless I just have bad copies. I was an Enid Blyton fan too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey River...I don't have any problems with the lighting in the Bosch series, but I do in a lot of the new stuff that is being produced nowadays. I'm always annoyed by the dimness of so many new stuff being made. Everything appears to be a dusty, dirty brown. It seems that lately they're filming with something over the camera lens...everything is dark...it's damn annoying. Whether it's cost cutting or not, I don't know, but I wish they'd cut it out! I like clear, bright images!

      I finished the first season of the "Reacher" series a couple of weeks ago, and am waiting on Season 2 being released...whenever that will be. From what I've read Season 2 won't arrive until 2023...via Amazon Prime.

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  4. I used to watch Morse and Midsomer Murders but it's a good few years since I saw one. I read a Jack Reacher novel many years ago too. Otherwise I've not really been a reader of crime thrillers as a rule.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Graham...my interests are wide and varied in both what I read and watch. Variety is the spice of life it has been said many times over. :) We each have our own individual likes and dislikes...

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  5. It's great to hear from you, i'm so sorry about your tech troubles.

    Grandpa adores crime novels, it's his favorite escape. While i don't mind the solving a mystery part, i don't understand the criminal mind and don't want to, and it bothers me that a crime has to happen to have something to solve! Weird, i know, but i'm tender-hearted and probably tinder headed that way. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi messymimi...I can assure you it's great to be back "on air". It's been so frustrating in many ways.

      I, too, do not understand the criminal mind. I doubt there are many who do...including psychologists. Many labels can be put on them, but that doesn't make it any easier to understand.

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  6. That must certainly have been frustrating to be without Internet or phone service, Lee. Unlike many people we know, we maintain a "home" phone as well as cell phones. We prefer to give out the home number so everyone won't have our cell numbers. I have enjoyed several novels by Elizabeth George and even the Inspector Lynley Series even though Nathaniel Parker did not resemble the lead in the books. The WOmen's Murder Club series by James Patterson and Maxine Pietro (although there were other co-writers) was another favorite for awhile. I have watched the Inspector Morse series, but never read any of Colin Dexter's novels. Midsomer Murders continues to be a favorite and I also plan to start rewatching from the start. The coincidence between the names of John Nettles actual wife and wife in the show was interesting.

    I seem to have switched genres in recent years and my current reads have been historical fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beatrice. It was very frustrating having no service. Mobile/cell phones don't work in this small abode I rent. To make and take calls on mobiles I have to go outside to do so, and that is not convenient. I also don't see why I have to pay extra for another service when I'm already paying for my landline etc.

      I've started streaming "Midsomer Murders" on Amazon Prime...and am enjoying seeing them again. Many of the episodes I'd not seen first time around, anyway.

      My reading habits are varied...over various genres...no Sc-Fi, though.

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  7. You and I share taste in movies and books. Love Lee Child's Jack Reacher and also found Tom Cruise a very poor fit. Alan Ritchinson is perfect. Harry Bosch is my favorite detective. Etc., etc., etc And we both know how we feel about Timothy Olyphant...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Annie...we do know how we each feel about Timothy! :) Oh! How I wish there were more series like "Justified"!!!!

      I like, too, Titus Welliver's portrayal of "Bosch". There is a spin-off series in the pipeline. And, of course, Welliver and Olyphant shared time in front of the camera in the series "Deadwood".

      There appears to be a drought in the department of good series at present...in my opinion. I just might have to join Raylan and his mates again soon, if this keeps up! :)

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  8. I love the Bosch series AND Alan Ritchson IS Reacher. That man has arms like ham bones and he's got the character down pat.
    Take good care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra. Yes...Ritchson is a big lad. A far better choice to play the character "Reacher". I'm sure Lee Childs would agree, too. He was too happy with Cruise playing the role from the reports I've read.

      The spin-off series planned for Bosch should be good. I'm looking forward to watching it when it comes out.

      Thanks for coming by...take care. :)

      Delete
  9. So many wonderful writers to choose from ...
    Many thanks for the delicious chicken recipes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan...Yes...we certainly don't have a shortage of great authors.

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete