Wednesday, April 13, 2022

CHOCOLATE FOREVER…CHOCOLATE LOVERS UNITE!

 


Unfinished graphite drawing done by me





Before I get started, not on chocolate, of which I have lots, but my ramblings, I’ve a message to pass on. The chocolate is on stand-by, at the ready in close proximity.

 Clint Lindt, my Easter bunny mate who has been a permanent resident in my fridge for the past few years asked me to pass on to all you good folk his best wishes for a Happy Easter.  Clint is in the best of health.  With not a wrinkle, nor a hair out of place he doesn’t look a day older than the day he entered my life, and my fridge, the place he’s called home for a number of years.  Safely ensconced, wrapped in his golden outfit, he lives rent-free.  I guess that’s why he’s always smiling.  When the fridge door is closed I’m sure Clint keeps busy eyeing off my stock of Cherry Ripes, even though he knows they’re out of bounds to him. They are to be touched by human hands only.

There’ll be lots of excited kids, big and small…hopping about over Easter, drooling at the thought of the delicious treats coming their way (I’m included in the drooling, but, of course, I’ll be hobbling, not hopping).  If you’re in need of a good laugh, imagine the image!  Nonetheless, my enthusiasm will be equal to the fervor of a five year old.  I’ve no need to go on an Easter egg hunt because mine are being guarded by Clint, on a shelf below him…along with the Cherry Ripes.

Whenever this time of the year approaches I reflect upon Easter spent on Newry Island.  The tiny resort was booked out with happy holiday-makers.  Trawlers with tons of fresh prawns and fish on board were anchored in the channel between Newry and Outer Newry Island.  Feasts of fresh seafood were on the menu for my guests (and for Pushkin and Rimsky, my two furry companions at the time).  The weather was perfect, and the ocean inviting. What more could my guests, me, and my two sarong-wearing cats want?  

We were about to find out…even though none of us knew we wanted what was ahead until “it” happened….

Busy doing whatever it was I was doing at the particular moment, I dropped all tools when a couple of very excited, puffed guests came running up to me.  Smiling broadly, and hardly able to get the words out, breathlessly they told me they’d spotted, not a kangaroo up ahead, but a koala in a gum tree.  Without hesitation, off I went to welcome my latest visitor, my newest guest for Easter. 

Everybody who set foot on the island was given a warm welcome, four-legged creatures included…but not the slithering, creepy, legless “slitherers”.  They were un-wanted.  By me, with no apology offered, they always got a short, swift shift!

A few metres from the end cabin was the start of a track that led across to the far side of the island.  Comfortably curled up on a limb, hanging onto the slender trunk of a small tree, which was no taller than my height of 5ft 9 inches, at the start of the track was a beautiful, cuddly koala.  He/she wasn’t interested in, or concerned by, the awed humans surrounding him/her.  Remaining unmoved, other than to sleepily open one eye before promptly shutting it again the koala didn’t give a hoot, or a grunt about being the centre of attention. 

I asked my island guests not to disturb our true blue Aussie visitor.  Our furry guest was as welcome as they were.  It was Easter, after all.  There was enough food, and enough love to go around, and around ten times over.  My new guest, who had not pre-booked, wasn’t a burden, but one who caused much joy for, not only my guests, but for me, as well.  How could a creature that brought so much happiness be unwelcome?  Koalas are such beautiful animals…they must be protected at all times.

Don’t dilly-dally! Hop to it!  Don your Easter bonnets. Enjoy yourselves! Time flies by so quickly, whether we’re having fun or not. I’m going to set my clock to “Slow”.   

Happy Easter, everyone!  Stay safe…take good care.  Clint, with a glint in his eyes, says “G’day!”

 

Oysters & Prawns with Brandy Sauce: Melt 1tbs butter in pan; cook diced shallots lightly.  Add dash of dry white wine; reduce liquid by half.  Add 1/4c cream, salt and pepper. Bring to boil; reduce until sauce has creamy consistency.  Add dash of brandy, peeled, cooked prawns and 12 oysters. Gently heat again, but do not cook. Place oysters back in shell; top each with 1 or 2 prawns. Spoon sauce over oysters; add grated Parmesan cheese; place under griller to brown; serve with a slice of toast. (This recipe serves 2 as an entree).

Pan-Fried Prawn Tails in Curry Sauce: First make pilaf rice; fry half chopped onion with ½ bay leaf in 30g butter; add 300g rice and 30ml stock; simmer until stock is absorbed. Cover; place in oven for 18mins.  Fry other half of chopped onion and 1-1/2tbs curry powder (or to taste); add 1tsp tomato paste and 100ml fish stock; simmer; add 200g creamed coconut and 400ml cream; simmer 20mins; strain. Fry 2kg king prawn tails (shelled); place on hot rice; spoon over sauce; serve.

Chocolate Rum & Raisin Muffins: Combine 1c/170g chopped raisins and 1/4c dark rum in small bowl; cover and stand 1hour. In the meantime, grease 12 hole muffin (1/3 cup/80ml capacity muffin pan. In another bowl, combine 250g sifted S.R. flour. 1/3c (35g) cocoa powder and 1/2c (110g) caster sugar; stir in the marinated raisins, 1c Choc Bits, 60g melted butter, 3/4c milk and 1 lightly beaten egg; spoon mixture into the prepared muffin pan. Bake in preheated moderately hot oven about 20mins. Makes 12.  

 

 


17 comments:

  1. A blessed and beautiful Easter to you, with as much chocolate as you want and maybe even a visit from a koala.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My best Easter wishes to you, too, messymimi. A load of chocolate is at the ready...some has already been raided!

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  2. I can't fathom how anyone could have chocolate, even with such a fancy name as yours, sitting safely in the fridge. At the moment I have a few little chocolate eggs waiting for my young g-g-daughter to visit but I don't really know if they will last the distance. Temptation could overcome me at any moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pauline...Clint, my Lindt bunny stubbornly refused to be eaten by me...standing steadfast on his shelf...so it got to the stage there was no way I could eat my friend! lol

      Don't you worry...I've loads of chocolate in my fridge...along with chocolate eggs...and I'm about ready right now to attack a Cherry Ripe!

      Take good care...have a wonderful Easter weekend. :)

      Delete
  3. I love the Easter Koala picture :)
    I'm scaling back my chocolate consumption, but will still have a bunny for Sunday. Maybe a Lindt, since my favourite German one isn't available in Australia anymore, hasn't been for years now. I don't even remember the brand name without going back through my posts to find it. Silver wrapping, same shape as the Lindt bunny. And now I remember it is Gubor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, River. As long as you lash out a bit...chocolate-wise...It's good to be rash and brash at times! :) I'll make up for you!

      Take good care...have a lovely Easter weekend...thanks for coming by. :)

      PS...It's good to have "Red" back! :)

      Delete
    2. I still miss Tom and now Liz as well. This is an interesting season though.

      Delete
  4. Koalas are indeed always welcome. And need our protection.
    Have a wonderful chocolate filled Easter. I am sure that some will land here too. It is unlikely to be treated as well as Clint though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, EC. Koalas are beautiful creatures, that is for sure. They melt my heart. :)

      Clint rules the roost in my fridge. I dare not put a foot out of line! :)

      I hope you enjoy the Easter weekend, EC...along with some chocolate! Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  5. Awww, you got to visit with a koala. Love both your graphic and your chocolate.
    Take special care and Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, it was a very pleasant Easter surprise, Sandra, to be so up close and personal with the beautiful animal.

    Thanks for coming by...take good care...I hope you have a most enjoyable Easter weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sending lots of Happy Easter Wishes to you.
    Our grandchildren are looking forward to the Easter Bunny visiting and leaving lots of eggs :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, Jan...my best wishes to you and your family for a Happy, safe, Easter, too...take good care...enjoy all the goodies. Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  8. A little late to wish you a Happy Eater, Lee, but then with Clint Lindt in your fridge, the holiday is year round at your place! What a great story about the koala visitor and you're right in saying who wouldn't welcome one! We have some chocolate peanut butter eggs to enjoy, but no bunnies this year...unless of course, we find some on sale this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Beatrice...I devoured a few small, solid Easter eggs...probably enough to last me through to next Easter! I noticed Clint's smile was wider than usual...and I'm sure I heard a loud sigh of relief! Easter is over for another year! :)

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  9. Those muffins look yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do... perhaps we should make some, Sandra. :)

      Take care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete