Thursday, January 09, 2020

ITALIAN INVASION... “ON A LIGHTER NOTE”....PREQUEL



The Outrigger Resort Hotel, Cairns
Cairns Rainforest Skyrail, Barron Falls  


Me on board the "Reef  Venture"
 
A guest at the resort's cocktail bar in the restaurant...Hinchinbrook Island Resort at the time of my tenue
White Water Rafting on the Tully River...north of Cardwell...above and below



Late one balmy Thursday afternoon, like a vision of a real-life, real-time Adonis he appeared in the doorway. Framed by palm fronds he stood, arrogantly aware of himself and the effect his presence caused, at least on one of the group seated around the table. Impertinent curls of dark hair seductively caressed the nape of his neck; others framed his forehead.  His flashing brown eyes brazenly expressed the mischief whirling around in his mind. A self-assured, cheeky smile played at his lips.

Immediately, he drew my attention away from the others around my table, which was set in the outside area of the Cairns resort, situated among lush, verdant tropical ferns and palms.

Shamelessly, he held my gaze, as he flaunted his magnificence.  His self-confidence was almost tangible; almost palatable.  I sensed it; he knew it.  Cockily, he strutted across to the table.  

I was sharing jovial afternoon drinks with a couple of industry associates, tourist industry acquaintances. With not a sign of bashfulness, the self-assured young man introduced himself, only briefly allowing his eyes to leave mine as he acknowledged the others present.  

I invited him to join us.

In the manner of someone content within himself, he exuded a brash confidence.  He moved a chair to the left of my own. Fully aware of the inner turmoil I was experiencing, I hoped it wasn't visible to other.  The newcomer spoke English assuredly, although with a strong accent.

The air between "Adonis" and me was rife with electricity.  In vain, I tried to remain composed. If I was prone to blushing, I knew I would have been as red as a beetroot. Fortunately, I don’t blush.

To my right sat David, someone I’d been friendly with for a couple of months or so. Our relationship was pleasantly casual, and uncomplicated.

A member of the small group I was with was Jan, a woman from a Cairns travel agency.  We’d met at various tourism events, conferences etc., in which I’d been involved because of my role as manager of the Hinchinbrook Island Resort.  I was visiting Cairns for one such tourism purposes.  Jan had organised the late afternoon soiree.  

My island resort was much humbler, not as fancy and modern, and not as large as the one we were visiting that afternoon.  However, it's very design, seclusion and uniqueness was what made the Hinchinbrook Island Resort so very special.

Standing up, Jan welcomed the young man, and introduced him to us.

 “I’d like you to meet Andrea.  He is our guest for a couple of weeks.  It’s his first visit to Australia.”

The question that had been plaguing my mind about how the handsome fellow had discovered our gathering; how he had appeared completely at ease in the presence of strangers as he’d approached our table was answered by her introduction.

Visiting from Northern Italy, representing his father who owned and operated a tour company in Bagnacavallo, Emilia-Romagna, “Andrew”, as he preferred, and asked, to be called while in Australia was a house-guest of Jan, the Cairns travel agent, and her family.  Andrea was in Australia seeking business prospects for his father's company, “Bee Tours”.  He was like a sponge absorbing everything he could about Far North Queensland, and what it had to offer prospective Italian tourists.

Jan and Giuseppe aka “Beppe”, Andrea’s father, were friends, having met in Italy, when she was there on tourism business sometime previously.  I later discovered, had enjoyed a brief affair.  There’s nothing quite like having an “Italian Affair”...for years the Fiat motor company urged everyone to have one in the media ads.  So blame it on Fiat...if blame has to be placed...

The sun was well into its descent as our little party broke up, each going their separate ways.

Jan and I sealed our future plans. She and her husband were coming to the island resort for the weekend as my guests to do a “famil”.  

A “famil” (a bastardization of “familiar”) is an industry term where travel agents, tour operators etc., visit a resort, hotel and the like to enable them to do an accreditation on the facilities for selling on to prospective holiday-makers.

Tropical North Queensland, including Hinchinbrook Islands, Cairns and their surrounds, The Daintree, Cape Tribulation...and, of course, the white water rapids-white water rafting ("Raging Thunder") just north of Tully***...were all featured greatly in tourism campaigns in the mid-to late Eighties.  They were very popular destinations to both Australian and overseas holiday-makers.

*** Some of my staff often visited "Raging Thunder" on the Tully River to go white water rafting on their days off. 

I was to drive back to Cardwell the following morning, where I’d leave my car at the island’s (tourist agency) booking office run by Bob, the skipper of the “Reef Venture”, and his wife, Bonnie.  Cardwell is a small coastal town on the mainland across from the island.  I’d hitch a ride on the “Reef Venture”, the large powered catamaran, which arrived at the resort every morning at 9 am, barring Mondays, bearing guests and provisions.

Jan planned to arrive at the resort, with her husband, on the Saturday morning.  

She and I bade each other farewell early that Thursday evening.  Andrew lingered.  It was obvious he wasn’t eager to leave. I suggested he join David and me, as my guest, for dinner a little later.  Without hesitation, he accepted my invitation.

Almost every time I visited Cairns I stayed at “The Outrigger Resort”, which has since changed hands, and is now known as “Hotel Cairns”. It was fairly new at the time...in the mid-Eighties. 

 "The Outrigger" had a wonderful ambience. The two-storeyed complex, set among tropical greenery, painted a salmon-pink, (now white) with its white wooden shutters boasted private balconies overlooking the gently waving palm trees and other luxuriant, abundant vegetation. Each room offered glorious marble bathrooms, as well as every other facility its occupant desired.

The beautiful resort hotel exuded the true feelings of being in tropical North Queensland. The cocktail bar servicing the main restaurant and al fresco areas presented the best Margaritas, made with freshly-squeezed lime juice, of course! Jimmy Buffett would have been proud...and a regular guest!

Having showered, dressed for the evening’s festivities, the restaurant, and a fun night ahead, awaited.

Andrea soon made his appearance. Together, the three of us enjoyed a delicious dinner. We then wandered on to a nightclub not far from the resort.

The last we saw of Andrea that night he was having a ball on the packed dance floor. Attracting his attention, we indicated we were leaving. He waved happily as we left him to his own devices, confidently knowing he’d not get lost in the sea of merry-makers, many of whom were attractive, lively, young lasses.  

As planned, I travelled south the following morning, leaving Cairns early for the approximately 2-hours' drive to Cardwell, where I’d jump aboard the “Reef Venture” before it left the jetty at 9 am.

Upon setting foot/feet back on the island, I was immediately engulfed by my “normal” island day, and all that it entailed. “Normal” is not a true description of a day on the island.  Nothing was ever “normal”...maybe not normal...but always interesting, fun and enjoyable...

First thing every morning I would write out a work plan for the day for my staff.  On a “normal” day I was in my office anywhere between 5.30 am to 6 am...before my staff stirred.  However without fail, within ten minutes of composing the “work plan”, I’d tear it up and toss it into the waste bin, making an excuse that at least I had tried!  It was a start.   

Each day on the island, although the same...was different...if that makes any sense!
  
Plans are plans...but plans are meant to be broken!  Ahhh!  Glorious, fun days...and magnificent, quixotic nights....for guests and staff alike....

Come Saturday morning, Bob, the skipper of the “Reef Venture”, radioed through to me as was his habit when he was five minutes out for the island jetty to advise me of his pending arrival. As arranged, he also always radioed prior leaving Cardwell in case I had any last minute pick-ups/chores for him to do for me. He radioed once again as he departed the Cardwell jetty.

The “Reef Venture” pulled into the jetty.  As usual, I was at the jetty’s end to greet any expected guests he had on board.  Some holiday-makers chose to travel by road, leaving their vehicles at Cardwell, and then transferring to the island by boat.  Others arrived by seaplane...Air Whitsunday which departed either Airlie Beach, or Townsville to the south of Hinchinbrook Island.

A number of guests disembarked, followed by Jan, the travel agent and her husband.

I greeting everyone individually as he or she alighted. Once my new guests set foot on the jetty, I started to turn to lead the way up to the resort.

To my impossible-to-disguise surprise, one last passenger leapt off the boat onto the jetty. 

Bearing a broad, mischievous, triumphant grin, Andrea landed, in all his unabashed glory.

To say I was surprised was putting it mildly. To say I felt pleasantly excited, that also would be putting it very mildly!

To be continued...


20 comments:

  1. Oh good. All work and no play makes Jack (or Jill) a dull person. I am unsurprised that you were busy but not dull.
    I envy your blush free status though. I did and do. And in low cut blouses the tide mark is very evident.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One must always find time, no matter how brief, to have some fun, EC. And if the job brings along with it, not only hard work and long hours, but also, by good fortune, fun...then all the better! :)

    Skivvies and neck scarves come in hand when the "high tide mark" become evident! lol

    Thanks for coming by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look lovely on the board of the 'Reef Venture"!
    The young man was italian - well say no more:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. True, DUTA...so true!! :)

    I loved that comfortable, casual t-shirt-style long top. The colour was great, too.

    Thanks for coming by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Curly dark hair, flashing brown eyes, self confident happiness.....is it warm in here suddenly? Turn on a fan, quick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahaha, River! Keep that fan going! The story is not yet over! :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  6. Anonymous2:53 PM

    You missed your calling as a romance novelist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must have been out of hearing range at the time...

      Thanks for coming by, Andrew. :)

      Delete
    2. Is the Andrew above your Italian Andrea in disguise?

      Delete
    3. No, Yorkie. "Andrew Above" lives below in Melbourne....Andrea lives above in Faenza, Italy.

      Delete
  7. Ah, the plot thickens. Can't wait for the next installment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And, thicken it does, messymimi....thanks for coming by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, well, the next episode I'm waiting..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patience, Margaret...patience! :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  10. Andrea seemed to do a lot of things "cockily"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall not give you the response you're expecting, Mr. Pud.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  11. What a fun post. Can't wait for the next installment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, there, Sandra...it was a fun time. Patience, dear girl..patience! :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  12. This was/is a fun post, I'll pop back soon to read the next instalment.

    Seeing that White Water Rafting reminds me of one of my nephews he enjoys that :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan...glad you're enjoying my tale.

      I look forward to "seeing" you again...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete