Sunday, January 05, 2020

ON A LIGHTER NOTE...


Ramada Reef Resort, Palm Cove...Resort's Swimming Pool
Foreshore...Palm Cove
Ramada Reef Resort

Palm Cove...View across esplanade....in front of Ramada Reef Resort


Me holding court upon a table at a party with some of my Ramada co-workers!  Dancing on tables, not ceilings was my "thing" at the time!  My party trick! 
Top pic with some of my Ramada co-workers...bottom pic...me cooking dinner at my unit for guests over the Christmas/New Year period described below
Andrea (minus shirt) and some ofmy co-workers who were guests for Christmas lunch/dinner at my unit...and me...once again table-top dancing...I missed my true calling!
Same Christmas lunch...afternoon dining....after having spent the morning at Ramada Reef Resort being Santa's helper, handing out gifts to the guests etc.  The young lass in the front and her partly hidden partner to her left were also my guests for Christmas dinner...they were from Italy...visiting Australia.  Andrea ran into them in Cairns...and I extended the invitation for them to join us all for a Christmas feast.  The fellow on the right, along with his wife, were my neighbours who lived in an adjoining unit.   (The paws in the top photo belonged to my ginger cat, Pushkin.  He was at the centre of all parties!)


On a lighter note...in perhaps a fruitless effort to take my mind off the devastating bushfires raging throughout our beautiful country...here is another tale of yore....

After I left Hinchinbrook Island in the late 80s I gained employment as Functions/Conventions Coordinator at Ramada Reef Resort, Palm Cove.  Palm Cove is a glorious northern beach suburb of Cairns in Tropical North Queensland. 

The lead-up to the Christmas/New Year season had been a busy one at the resort.  Therefore it was a busy time for me organising the many various and varied functions.  
The Sunday before Christmas Day the owners of the resort hosted a party for their lawyers, accountants, business associates and the like. 

For the special event, I decorated the large, main function room, as well as the al fresco area surrounding the resort's massive swimming pool in different, individual themes; highlighting the foods of other countries.

For example...one section was set up to reflect a French patisserie; another thrilled and teased offering Italian delights, particularly foods from Emilia-Romagna, the region from where Andrea, my then Italian amante aka lover hailed.   

I picked Andrea’s brains and passed the authentic information on to the resort’s chefs.
 
Andrea and I first met when I was manager of the resort on Hinchinbrook Island...another story...for another day....

Emilia-Romagna’s guilty secret is the invention of ravioli, tagliatelle and tortellini. Lasagne can be added to that list of guilty pleasures, too! And it would be sinful to omit the rich, tasty ragù otherwise known as Bolognese sauce? 

In Emilia-Romagna is the city of Parma, world-renowned for its prosciutto, or Parma ham.  Of course, it can not be forgotten...the area also gave its name to Parmesan cheese. 
And cop this - coppa comes from the region, too.

Not to mention (but I am)...also Aceto Balsamico Tradizionale di Modena, aka real balsamic vinegar which is created with love, skill and patience. Patience, because true balsamic vinegar made from Trebbiano grapes comes into being over a period of at least twelve years.

Modena also is well-known for generously giving us the magnificent maestro, the now late wonderful Luciano Pavarotti.  

So when you raise a glass of Sangiovese, a ruby-red wine from the Emilia-Romagna region, don’t forget to toast the region’s abundance of generous gifts.

Not forgetting our own country...and Tropical North Queensland...a bounty of local seafood graced a large area decorated with fish nets, large clam shells, and glass buoys. Even a small dinghy played its role in the table decorations. The area offered guests a wide variety of fresh, local seafood delicacies.

Next to the seafood display a wooden buffet-hutch and country-style dining tables offered typical Aussie tucker such as lamingtons, pavlovas, mini-meat pies, bite-size sweet corn fritters with a mango-chilli dipping sauce, hot dampers, bowls of tropical fruit salad, Neenish tarts and lemon meringue pies.  

With lots of sweet talking and fulfilled promises of promoting his work, I coerced a Cairns furniture-maker to loan the resort, free of charge, some of its wares for the day. It was quite a spectacular and grandiose exercise getting the furniture to and from the resort, but it was worthwhile for all concerned!

Outside on the paved courtyards, shaded by dense, verdant palms, the area had been transformed into a miniature Thailand. Thai Airlines had been very generous when I asked them for decorative pieces and large, glossy posters. Colourful paper umbrellas competed with the beauty of the lush tropical foliage surrounding the function room and resort pool. The quantity of tropical flowers and orchids Ramada hired fortnightly from a local nursery to decorate the foyer and lobby etc., was increased for the day to add to the Thai theme. Samples of Thai food were on offer as guests wandered from theme to theme.

The plant nursery came to the aid of the party, not only in supplying the orchids and tropical flowers but also in supplying halved, empty, wooden wine barrels, some of which I lined with hay and filled with bottles of red wine. Others were lined with thick, heavy-duty plastic sheeting, filled with ice to keep the champagne and white wines cold. Beer was kept icy-cold in large ice-filled eskies strategically dotted around the function area.

I even roped Andrea, my Italian amore - who liked to be called “Andrew” while visiting Australia..and me - in for the day.  He was to be paid on casual rates, to help man the eskies. Andrea spoke perfect English, with a perfectly beguiling Italian accent.

Fritz, originally from The Netherlands, who was the food and beverage manager, kindly agreed to Andrea working for the day.  It not only earned Andrea some cash, but it gave him invaluable experience in a small area of Australian hospitality and tourism.  Andrea's father, back in Milan, was a tour operator.

The “powers-that-be” were very happy with their Christmas party, as were the invited guests. It was a very successful event.

By the time, Boxing Day arrived I gratefully grabbed the day by both hands and held on tightly, as it was to be my only day off from a couple of weeks prior to Christmas until after New Year's Day.

A “No Vacancy” sign, together with “Gone Fishin” and “Do No Disturb” signs were put up on the front and back doors of my rented townhouse in Yorkeys Knob...another northern beach suburb of Cairns...a few kilometres south of Palm Cove.

Andrea took over the reins, not allowing me to lift a finger all day. Late in the afternoon, we strolled the beach hand in hand. A most pleasant surprise awaited me when we reached the southern end of the beach. Andrea insisted we sit awhile on the low sand dunes under She-Oak trees, between the beach and vacant parkland to the rear. Unknown to me when I was taking a nap earlier in the afternoon, he had driven down to the parkland and hidden an eskie filled with ice, champagne, cheese, olives, salami, cherries, apricots and crackers. In a well-sealed container were a couple of crunchy bread rolls.

Andrea, like most Italians, if not all Italians, loved bread. Bread became a staple in my household during his stays, more than it had ever been. Hardly a meal went by without bread as a main part of it.  The only time Andrea didn’t eat bread was with a pasta meal.

You can imagine my surprise when he arrived back to where I was sitting, with an eskie in his arms! I was agog as Andrea opened its lid and took out a bottle of champagne. 

He laughed at the look on my face as he handed me two glass flutes. That was one of the most thoughtful, romantic gestures anyone had/has ever done for me.

With only the mellow, calming sounds of the waves gently lapping the shore and the birds calling their final farewells as they wended their way home at day’s end, Andrea and I could have been the only people left in the world that afternoon...

To be continued...

PS...Andrea and I remain in contact to this day...He lives in Faenza...an Italian city in the province of Ravenna, Emilia-Romagna, 50kms south-east of Bologna.


23 comments:

  1. Such precious memories.
    Sadly these days I would crash to the floor very quickly (always assuming I could get up in the first place) if I tried table-top dancing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here re the climbing up onto tables, EC. An impossibility these day, that is for sure! I'd soon come crashing back down to earth...if I'd managed to get up there in the first instance! But it was lots of fun back then...much fun was had.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  2. You can remember so much - my memories are harder to remember for some reason.

    PRAYERS for Australia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I think I probably remember too much Sandie! :)

      Thanks for your prayers for our country...it's not in a very good state at present. Such heartache and sorrow surrounds.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  3. Lovely memories to look back on Lee. Palm Cove looks beautiful. My party trick is the one where I say hello then disappear, because crowds aren't my thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, River...crowds aren't my "thing" these days, either...but back then...and for most of my working life...if not all of it...it was part of my job. Maybe that is one of the reasons why these days I am a hermit...by choice...preferring my own company, and that of my two furry rascals.

      Once upon a time, I used to do a lot of home entertaining as well...but that, too, has changed. Those days are long gone.

      Not only I can't be bothered to do so, but nowadays I can't afford to entertain and host the luncheon and dinner parties I once did.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  4. Your post has made me hungry. All those names of italian delicious dishes!
    I'm a great lover of bread, like your Andrea, and like him, I eat it with almost every meal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, DUTA...I love Italian foods...down to earth, hearty and healthy.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  5. Anonymous1:57 AM

    Goodness, you kept this one up your sleeve. What a great read and how good that photos were taken. We visited Yorkeys Knob with gay friends (was there a gay nudist beach there?) and of course the jokes abounded. Down south staff at the then named Turtle Cove, back then owned by gay men in Melbourne including a current acquaintance, lived in a communal house in Clifton Springs and were the subject of frequent homophobic attacks, more than once having their house stoned. Sorry to be posting negative things on your happy post. Wikipedia tells me Palm Cove is a suburb of Cairns, but wasn't it Christopher Skase owned and further north? Did you work for Skase?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrew...I don't believe there was a gay nudist beach a Yorkeys Nob. I'm sure there were a lot of nobs there, as well as dickheads. I lived in the unit, and then rented a house at Yorkeys Knob for a while before moving a little further north to another northern beach suburb of Cairns...Clifton Beach, which is a little south of Palm Cove...about 4kms south of Palm Cove.

      I'm sure many people went au naturel at Yorkeys at times. I did on quiet days in unpopulated areas of the coastline...and also did similar at Sunshine Beach, south of Noosa at various times...back when I was trim, taut and terrific...and much younger! :)

      There was...and I guess, still is....a nudist beach...at Ellis Beach...but it wasn't confined just to gays...anyone of whatever persuasion could go there, as far as I am aware.

      No..I never worked for Christopher Skase. However, Skase built and owned a resort at Port Douglas in 1987...The Sheraton Mirage Resort. I stayed there shortly after its opening...all part of the job. Port Douglas is around 43kms north of Palm Cove.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  6. ah the Italians, they are so romantic; never have table danced but I have ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "But I have..." What, Linda? Don't keep me in suspense!!!! :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  7. What fun memories you have. Andrew was quite a hunk of man and I am sure those memories of your days together were so sweet and very special. Glad to read that you are still in contact.

    Our hearts are all so sad as to what is happening in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are fun memories, Arleen...I worked hard, long hours...but I had a lot of fun as well; and met some terrific people along the way.

      Andrew was full of life...enjoyed it to the full...especially during his regular visits...he used to stay for around six months at a time...over a period of a couple of years. He worked for his father...in his father's business...as a tourist/tourism operator.

      Our hearts here are very heavy...our concerns are at a premium...there is a long, hard slog ahead for many.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  8. What a wonderful, romantic tale. Can't wait for the next installment.
    I am so sorry to hear about the raging fires. How horrific and heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra...glad you enjoyed my story...there is more to come...

      Yes...the destructive fires are heartbreaking...the loss of lives, property, wildlife....the burdens are heavy.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  9. That first picture looks like paradise:) Here's wishing paradise much rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...to the rain, Sandra....tha first pic is of the resort's swimming pool. At the time, it was considered to be the largest in the Southern Hemisphere, if my memory serves me correctly.

      My best thoughts and wishes are with you and yours...take good care. :)

      Delete
  10. What a heart-warming tale, Lee. I love Italian food and Italy but the area around Bologna and San Marino is outwith my ken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Graham...if you love Italian food...then you are somewhat familiar with the Bologna-San Marino area. Much of the San Marino fare is similar to that of Emilia-Romagna.

      I'm glad you enjoyed my tale...coincidentally, I heard from Andrea yesterday...enquiring about the bushfires, expressing his concern and best thoughts. He loved his times spent in Australia.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  11. As I am quite a traditionalist, I was pleased to discover that Andrea was a bloke and not a sheila! Mind you I was already familiar with a footballer called Andrea Perlo - probably the best midfielder Italy has ever produced. When I was in primary school there were two Andreas in my class and they were both girls - Andrea Horsfall and Andrea Fawcett.

    I'm looking forward to Chapter Two but hoping there's no hokey pokey happening on the beach. Italian fellows have a certain reputation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! There was a lot of hokey-pokey going on, Yorkie...and not only on the beach. I was a grown woman in charge of my own life and how I lived it. It wasn't my first rodeo!

      For a while, a young lass named "Andrea" was a member of part of my staff on Hinchinbrook Island, but there was nothing about our relationship that would have upset your traditionalist leanings/beliefs. She was a very boring young woman...and really not suited to the island lifestyle.

      If "Fifty Shades of Grey" trilogy was/is too much for your tender sensibilities, perhaps you may need to approach Chapter Two with care.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  12. Such lovely memories to look back on, it's great that you share them here.

    My thoughts and prayers to you all in Australia at this time.
    The devastating bushfires we see and hear about on our news reports look very bad.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete