Thursday, May 07, 2020

MOTHER TONGUE...


















When my brother and/or I misbehaved when we were kids we certainly did cop a tongue lashing from our mother!  In many instances, Mum’s reprimanding wasn’t the end of it, either.  We weren’t let off the hook so easily because we’d cop another tongue lashing from our Nana, as well, just in case there was something we’d not understood in Mum’s tirade.  Don’t misunderstand me, ninety-nine percent of the time we deserved the tongue lashings, I’m sure.  Lessons had to be learned...lessons needed to be taught, and when we were naughty, as all kids are ...they’re not always perfect little angels...and neither were my brother and me...we were brought back into line.

By the way....we didn’t escape their hot tongues and cold shoulders when we were teenagers and adults, either!

Being blasted from both barrels was an extra bonus to top off the reprimands in case we thought we’d dodged a bullet the first time around. There was no escaping, even if we tried to hide in our tree houses in the hope all would be forgotten and forgiven by the time we climbed back down to the real world. No chance!  The real world, along with life’s harsh lessons – of how we should, and were expected to behave – waited...stern of face.

Both Nana and Mum had loads of patience in the lesson teaching area.  Home schooling isn’t new.  In its many forms, it’s been around since I was a kid.  It’s still viable and valuable these days.

Throughout our lives, from babies to adulthood, Nana was like a mother to my brother and me.  Our father never played a role in our lives – not ever, other than in conception...but two hard-working, good-humoured, strict, but fair women selflessly both played huge roles in our lives.

My brother and I were never spanked, nor were we smacked.  The ominous warnings issued by our mother and grandmother were more than enough to make us toe the invisible, but distinct line. 

The two head ladies, who were in charge of the household, had their ways – a gaze was enough - to make us understand the error of our own ways without either having to resort to a smack, or the rack. 

When Nana “dropped her jaw”...we knew to promptly drop what we were doing...take heed, and behave, post haste.   Pull our heads in we did!
  
A “wait until your mother gets home...” made us hope the wait was long...long enough for all to be forgotten and forgiven.  With our mother working long hours most days of the week a lot of the time Mum arrived home after my brother and I had gone to bed, and were asleep.  If we weren’t asleep, we pretended to be...well, speaking for myself, anyway!

Usually, by the following morning, the fire of ire burning within the fiery red-head...our mother...had died down. 

By morning, the only heat was in the kitchen, emanating from the “Early Kooka” - our upright, four-burner gas stove - as our breakfast was being cooked before we rushed off to school.  On those mornings school was indeed inviting.  Gulping down our breakfast as politely as possible, we couldn’t wait to head off.  Another close call...escape...successfully executed!

Mum and Nana weren't perfect, but they were perfect for my brother and me.  They were our protectors from the harshness and the cruelties of the world.  While simultaneously ensuring our eyes and minds were open to, and aware of the\harshness and cruelties, they also made sure we were aware of the beauty and goodness surrounding us...to never lose sight of both.

Michelangelo reportedly said...probably not on Mother’s Day...but, then again, he could have said it then... “Every block of stone has a statue inside it, and it is the task of the sculptor to discover it.”  

Mothers are sculptors....

In the mind of some, the belief would be I have no right, or basis upon which to express what I’m about to say because I never had children of my own...I’m not a mother.  However, Michelangelo’s musing, to my mind, is an excellent parental guideline for mothers and fathers...one or the other, or both...to follow.

From the very early stages of childhood the shepherding, nurturing hands of a loving mother help awaken and develop a child’s potential. 

A mother’s love is sometimes patient, and sometimes not...but is always forgiving.

By far, our small family unit of four wasn’t rich in the monetary meaning of the word. However, my brother, Graham and I were rich in that we never went hungry; we had four walls around us; a roof over our heads, clean, ironed clothes on our backs, as well as our Mother’s and Nana’s love.

Happy Mother’s Day...even if some of you can’t be together on Sunday...virtual hugs shall be in abundance, of that I am certain.  The love...pure and real...remains...

Cheese-Ham-Onion Bread Pudding: Heat oven 175C. Oil deep baking dish. In bowl, whisk together 4 eggs, 1-1/2c milk, 1tbs Dijon mustard, 1/8th tbs nutmeg and ¼ tsp each salt and pepper. Add 375g sourdough bread, cut into 5cm pieces; let sit 5mins, tossing occasionally. Fold in 1 small red onion, cut into 1-1/2cm wedges, 1 cored, thinly sliced apple, 125g ham, torn into 5cm pieces, and 1c grated Cheddar into bread mixture. Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish; bake until set and knife inserted in centre comes out clean (cover with foil if it browns too quickly), 45 -50 mins.

Earl Grey Tea Fruit Bread: Earl Grey Fruit Loaf: Put 175g currants and 175g sultanas in bowl; pour over 300ml hot Earl Grey tea. Stir, cover and leave to soak overnight for the liquid to absorb. Preheat the oven 150C. Grease a 900gloaf tin and line with non-stick baking paper. Add 275g S.R. flour, 225g light muscovado sugar and 1 beaten, large egg to bowl of soaked fruit (if there is a little excess liquid this is fine); mix thoroughly; spoon into prepared tin; level top. Cook 1-3/4hrs, or until cake has risen and just firm to the touch, but check it after 1-1/4hrs to see how it is doing. Leave to cool in tin for about 10mins. Turn out the cake; remove paper. To serve, cut into fairly thick slices, spread with butter.

Oh! Mumma! Blend chilled juice of 3 red grapefruits, chilled juice of 1 orange, 1 knob of peeled fresh ginger and ½ seeded jalapeño until smooth; strain; discard pulp. Fill champagne flutes half way; top with chilled Prosecco; garnish with jalapeño and citrus slices.




28 comments:

  1. Beautifully said and written about your Nan and Mother.
    Always good to remember them with fondness as I do remember my mother how was kind, caring and loving.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'Day, Margaret...no matter the number of years since their passing...Mum in 1974,,and Nana in 1976...I still miss them.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm on my way over for that meal; mother's are sculptors, what a beautiful sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda...I'll plate another plate for you! :)

      Thanks for coming by...take care. :)

      Delete
  3. My mom was loving and so very kind, but you never wanted to “disappoint” her. It was emotionally painful and we always thought twice about trying to get away with things. She always found out.

    I love the way you described moms as sculptors. It is so true, but with modern technology and media, it is much more difficult to raise children. They hear too many voices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Arleen...Same here with both Mum and Nana...My brother and I learned when to and when not to misbehave! lol

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  4. Nice memories of your mother - I hope you have a nice one. I tell you what - I sure do wish I could see my mom another day here on earth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandie...Not being a mother, Mother's Day passes without me participating even though I've tried to drop hints to my two furry mates...they still have never given me breakfast in bed! :)

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  5. Your post is a very touching tribute to your Mum and Nana. It goes perfectly well with Mother's Day.
    I love the last picture, the card with the baby kangaroo- so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, DUTA.

      I couldn't resist that kangaroo image, either! lol

      I hope all is well with you and yours...keep taking good care. Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  6. Anonymous3:53 PM

    Nicely said about you mother and grandmother. It often strikes me how two children brought up the same way in the same family and one will turn out to be a decent well rounded adult and the other will be the opposite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What you say in your last observations doesn't/didn't apply to my late older brother and me, as far as I am aware, Andrew; and I find it quite a strange comment for you to make in response to my post.

      Graham and I were obviously different...he being male...and me female, but our basic instincts, beliefs etc., were very similar having been honed from the same source...by the same tutors, our mother and grandmother. We had our differences in thoughts etc., of course...but completely opposite, we weren't. He was a straight-shooter and didn't suffer fools...and on those two fronts, for an example, we most definitely were on par. I was a bit more lenient towards some things in life...towards some behaviours...than he was, though

      Having been a one of the two major players...my older brother was one...and I, the other, I believe we both turned out okay....not perfect...but then, who is?

      Thanks for coming by...take care. :)

      Delete
  7. Laughing at the cartoon! I don't remember Mothers Days from the time before mum left us and when I went to live with her at 16 I was astonished (and upset) at the way mum and those step kids treated each other. Mum always expected things from them "because of all the things I've done for you" and there was quite a bit of fighting. I remember staying in my own room a lot. There were good days, it wasn't all bad, but she wasn't the mum I barely remembered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I;m sorry you had to go through such tough times, River. However, you came through them...out the other end as a very good person...a strong, caring person...so you came out the winner. :)

      Thanks for coming by. I hope you enjoy your own special day tomorrow. Take care...and cuddles to Lola. :)

      Delete
  8. You have wonderful and special memories of your Mom and Grandmother. I hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day for you are indeed a Mom to two very special furry ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bonnie...I do. I will always miss them...and be grateful for the sacrifices they made for my now late brother and me. :)

      My two furry rascals woke me bright and early...never letting a chance go by!

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  9. I'm curious as to whether you thought your grandmother was unduly harsh. Usually you expect your grandmother to be more forgiving or permissive because of her age. Maybe it's just been in my circle of acquaintances where the grands have been the ones to spoil their grandkids. My wife is bothered this week by a comment made by her six-year-old grandson who told her, "I don't know if I like you." Apparently because he thinks her mean at times. I'm gathering you didn't feel that way about your's.

    On behalf of your nana and mum, Happy Mother's Day. And to you too since I know you had to play mother to guests at your resort, right?

    Love the fruit bread picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Dave. Our grandmother wasn't harsh. She, along with our mother, raised my brothe and me.

      Our household consisted of Nana, Mum, my brother and me....just the four of us. Nana was fair, but firm when needed to be. She was gentle and kind, but we knew when we'd stepped over the line. And we loved the stories she told.

      Our mother worked full-time throughout our childhood because there was no father in the picture. Nana was the homemaker...who also did yo out to work, cleaning the homes of others, during our school hours. Both women worked hard...both were firm, fair, gentle, kind...and both had terrific senses of humour.

      Hahahahaha! Only yesterday I chatted with a couple of my ex-staff from our Hinchinbrook Island days and we had a good old laugh about the Mother's Day all my staff woke me up early...presented me with a tray of breakfast...and sat on my bed watching me eat it!!! This all happened around 5.30 am Mum's Day morning. They presented me with a silver bracelet with "mum" inscribed on it...I still have the bracelet. I used to refer to my staff as "the kids". It's the only Mother's Day that has been mine...as it were! lol

      Thanks for coming by....take good care. :)


      Delete
  10. You have every reason to say this, as you know the profound effect mother love had on you and your brother. Happy Mother's Day to all who celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, messymimi...Yes, both Nana and Mum had a huge effect on my brother's and my life. They stood by each other, and each of us, through thick and thin...through to the good times and bad times...happy and sad times.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  11. As has been said above that was a beautiful tribute (some of it was even new 😂). I have always admired your Mum and Nana as I have said before. My parents never smacked me either but neither did my Mother (or Father) ever raise a voice to myself or my Brother. They didn't have to. Their upset or displeasure was enough to make us miserable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Graham. Mum and Nana never raised their voices to us, either. Their tones, and looks on their faces were expressive, and warning enough without them having the need to shout at us. A neighbour who lived at one side of us for a time did enough of that...plus the slapping...to cover the whole street! The family moved to a couple of houses down from us...and the mother could still be heard screaming at her kids.

      I hope all is still well with you...take care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  12. What a wonderful tribute to your mum and nana. Love the memes:) Hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day. Cats count:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandra...my two furry cats can count, I think. They're always counting down to their breakfast time!! :)

      I hope all is well with you and yours...take good care, one and all. Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  13. Thanks for commenting on my recent post. Not sure I will post again but enjoying yours too and seeing you on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Annie...it's always nice to hear from you. Take good care. I hope all is well. :)

      Delete
  14. A lovely post, a lovely tribute :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jan...and thanks for popping in. :)

      Delete