Sunday, August 02, 2020

A LENGTHY FOLLOW-ON FROM MY PREVIOUS POST!


 
Gympie Town Hall/Post Office at the Five-Ways
Gympie Post Office in Channon Street...Top End of Town
Patterson's Drapers & Outfitters, Mary St. Gympie
Hanlon's once know as "Pattersons'"
Gympie Civic Centre
Gympie Gas Works (No longer exists)
 
Glandore Private Hospital, Gympie
Mellor Street, Gympie Circa 2020...the street headed downhill is Fern Street, the street in which I spent my childhood and teenage years.  The house on the corner was alos there during those years, so long ago..


To further fill in the gaps in Mary Street, Gympie...more memories made their appearance, therefore filling in the gaps in my mind.   

My reflections in my previous post jolted further recollections of businesses that served the town’s populace, and those in its surrounding areas, during my childhood and teenage years.

Since writing my below musing, I’ve remembered Cameron’s, a fine old shop, lined with polished timber and stained glass owned and operated by a brother and sister. Miss Cameron had a large goiter, which she did her utmost to disguise by wearing high-necked outfits.  Both she and her brother seemed elderly to me...but then, to young children, anyone over the age of 30 years is “old”!

White’s Cash Store was a privately owned and run little grocery shop in Mary Street, a few shops along from the stand-alone, self-service BCC grocery store (Brisbane Cash and Carry), which was situated on the corner of Mary and Smithfield Streets...opposite the Bank of New South Wales building which, in those years, also housed Radio Station 4GY.

In those years, Gympie boasted two post offices.  The Town Hall was situated at the Five-Ways intersection of Calton Hill, Caledonian Hill, Lawrence Street, Mellor Street and Mary Street. Upon completion of construction, the original building was opened in 1891.

At top end of town...on the corner of Channon Street and Duke Street...opposite the Freemasons’ Hotel...the now heritage-listed “old” Gympie Post Office sat.  It was built between the years 1978 to 1889.    

Heilbronn’s Grocery Store was opposite the Post Office in Duke Street.

Hanlon’s, home improvements/curtains etcs., is housed in a building constructed in 1867 by the Patterson brothers, which was then known as “Patterson’s Drapers & Outfitters”. The building/arcade is a few doors down from the Jeffery, Cuddihy & Joyce building (known as “Tozer & Jeffery”  as described in my previous post.

Down the street a little on the corner of Mary and Monkland Streets was Goldsbrough Mort & Co., agricultural, stock agents, brokers and auctioneers.

Moving along, heading towards the Five-Ways, in the centre of Mary Street, was the Liberty Theatre (a “picture” theatre...that during the early to mid-Sixties also hosted very popular record hops).   

During one of those record hops I won a Limbo competition.  Ahhh!  The joys and flexibility of one’s teenage years!

On the corner of Lawrence Street and Mary Street, at the Five-Ways, opposite Webster’s Corner Store was a walled-up building.  It originally had been an open-air picture theatre (not a “drive-in” picture theatre), but it never operated during my childhood.  When we were kids we tried our hardest to find a hole or crack in one of the outer walls so we could see what hidden mysteries lay within.  We failed.

Next door to the “mysterious” intriguing building was a small, narrow milk bar, which was next door to the Olympia Theatre...the theatre we frequently frequented.  In particular...never did we miss a Saturday afternoon matinee.  The only times we failed to turn up for a Saturday matinee, were when we were  at Tin Can Bay with our mother and grandmother, fishing, crabbing and collecting oysters.

Turning left after exiting the Olympia Theatre, in Mellor Street, next door to the theatre was another milk bar.  Theatre patrons were never short of a choice of milkshakes, Maltesers, Jaffas, or other preferred sweet treats. 

(The Olympia Theatre no longer exists.  The Gympie Civic Centre, with a capacity of over 600 now graces the site.  The official opening of the Centre was in 1977).

A little further along from the theatre and milk bar, Jack Cornes, Funeral Director, offered comfort and understanding to those who suffered loss of a loved one. 

A couple of doors up the street from Mr. Cornes (who was a lovely gentleman) was Joe Daly, the town tailor who suited the locals. His business premises, and his home, stood side by side.  

“Uncle” Joe was married to “Auntie"Annie, who was our Nana’s cousin.  Uncle Joe had the largest private aviary I have ever seen.  His well-maintained back garden, the home of the aviary, was a mini-maze. Well-manicured hedges wandered throughout the grounds.  The garden and aviary fascinated my brother and me.  Around the garden, peacocks leisurely strolled.

A few lengthy strides past the Daly’s property was the seed merchants, Jackson’s store. Next to Jackson’s was a fish and chip shop. From memory, both at one stage went up in flames.  Crisp chips and battered fish were on the menu that night!

And then, one came upon a mass of land that was the home of the Gympie Gas Works. 

We lived in Fern Street, which was close by.  We often walked through the grounds of the gas works as our short-cut into Mellor Street when we were headed to the Olympia Theatre, or into Mary Street...if we didn’t want to go via Lawrence Street, at one end of Fern Street.  The Central State School...the primary school both my brother and I attended is in Lawrence Street.  We had a very short stroll to school.  

Oft times, when going to the matinees, we went via another short-cut...along McLeod Street, and across the gully beside the tar works.  (The tar works was one of our favourite places to play, too). 

Such adventures we had when going “down town”!  

Mellor Street is a long street that leads up to, and culminates at Tozer Street where the then Gympie Railway Station was.  The original Gympie railway station is now heritage-listed.  The first rail link between Brisbane and Gympie commenced in 1891, and the now heritage-listed old station began operation in 1913.  It was replaced by the new Gympie North Station in 1989.

The Butter Factory and the Farmers’ Co-Operative Store were both in Tozer Street.

There were many businesses along Mellor Street...automobile workshops/fuel stops, car yards, two grocery stores, Lane & Ward’s butcher shop, a café etc.  

My brother and I returned newspapers and empty soft drink bottles to the butcher shop and to the general stores, and received payment, which topped up our piggy banks!

During my childhood years, Gympie had three hospitals.  The Lister and Glandore Hospitals were private hospitals; and then the public hospital...the Gympie Hospital. There are now two hospitals in Gympie.

And, that, I imagine, is enough history of Gympie to last my readers a lifetime.  If I've bored you, I apologise; it was not my intention.

However,....for my own interest, and peace of mind, I wanted to record the recollections I have.

The above is what happens when my memory bank is opened.  Not sticking to usual trading hours, my mind decides to spring into life when I’ve shut down for the night, and am trying to go to sleep!!


15 comments:

  1. More cool old buildings! (and what appears to be a fairly new Civic Center) It is fun to hear of your youth in Gympie. You even won a Limbo competition! When I was young I remember collecting soft drink bottles to turn in for cash too. Those extra pennies added up!

    Thank you for the sweet message you left on my blog. Tom is doing okay but I have just been crazy busy trying to take care of a variety of things. I need to get a post up but I have not been online very much. I appreciate your thoughtfulness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! It's so good to hear from you, Bonnie. I'm very happy to hear Tom is doing okay. You've both been in my thoughts. You're not forgotten. I imagine you have a lot on your plate...blogging is the least of your concerns. Just know you are not forgotten! :)

      Yes...there are a lot of old buildings in Gympie...the town has a wonderful history.

      Keep taking good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  2. Anonymous8:23 PM

    I read to the end and it wasn't the least bit boring. You certainly have a good memory. I have a childhood memory that those gas plants smelt of.....gas maybe? I can certainly remember kitchens that had the coal produced gas smell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, Andrew. I'm glad my ramblings didn't bore you. :)

      We had an old upright "Early Kooka" gas stove...sturdy as sturdy it was. I guess we got used to the smell of gas..and, of the tar when the tar works had their boilers boiling away making tar for the roads! I'd not thought of the smell of both for ages. They weren't over-powering, though...from what I remember, anyway...and I am still here to tell the tale. So, I didn't get gassed! lol

      Keep taking good care...I hope all is well with you and yours down your way. Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  3. I love those old buildings. My favorite parts are the shady verandahs an the old wooden floors, highly polished solid planks often 6 or 8 inches wide, nothing at all like the skimpy 3 inches wide veneer strips we get these days.
    Your memories are certainly more interesting than mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, River. Yep! The old buildings are wonderful. Also, as you say, the wide verandahs with wooden flooring...and the wide bullnose roofing....giving shade and coolness are equally wonderful.

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  4. Precious memories. And not boring at all. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, EC. I'm glad the above./..and the below...weren't boring. I did get a bit carried away! :)

      Thank you for coming by..take good care. :)

      Delete
  5. You have a good memory where everything once was and is..have driven through Gympie can't remember it myself.
    Always good to have memories.
    Interesting post and I read it all, always do.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margaret...driving through Gympie...heading north, or on the return trip south, you miss the main part of town...the areas I've described in these two posts. Something that is common in so many areas nowadays.

      Once my memory is stirred, myriad memory moths fly loose! :)

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  6. It sounds like it was a fabulous place in which to grow up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It had its ups and downs, messymimi! Gympie is a very hilly town! :)

      I think the era I grew up in was much simpler, and more carefree than nowadays. We kids could run free...played outside...got our feet dirty...used our imaginations.

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  7. You "memory bank" is widely open! Gimpy was quite a place : 3 hospitals, 2 post offices, and a lot of stores and businesses!
    Ant the raisin on the cake - you a Limbo competition winner!

    ReplyDelete
  8. G'day, DUTA...I did get a little carried away, didn't I? :) There is a lot of history in the little town...and I have lot of memories stored away.

    Those were the days...flexible days!!

    Thanks for coming by...take good care...stay safe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your memory bank is amazing.
    I enjoyed the photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete