Wednesday, August 19, 2020

IT’S NICE TO KNOW NICE PEOPLE! IT’S “NICE”...NOT “NOICE”, SHARON!


"Kath & Kim" cast...with "Sharon" on the right....





Sharon Strzelecki aka Magda Szubanski would disagree with me, but I’m standing my ground, even though it’s not my ground.  I don’t own it! 

“Sharon Strzelecki”...for those not familiar with the name... “Sharon” was one of the main characters (played by Magda) in the much-loved Australia television comedy series...”Kath & Kim”.  Lately, Magda, in her “Sharon” character, features, alongside Kim Kardashian, in a couple of Uber Eats television commercials...

It is nice to know nice people, that is for sure.  It is also nice to meet nice people. 
I met a very nice person for the first time a couple of weeks ago.  I was in desperate need of a new mattress; had been for far too long.  Ask my hips, they are nodding in agreement. 

Giving into my desperation, and screaming hips, I ordered a new king-size mattress, which, by the way, was delivered by an errant Brisbane delivery driver who dropped the huge, heavy load off at the wrong address, even though I had given very clear, descriptive delivery instructions, in black and white, three times!  (Nothing is black and white these days, it would seem).   Why the recipient accepted such a bulky, large, heavy item that obviously wasn’t his...that hadn’t been purchased by him, beats me. 

Some people never cease to amaze me...in a most negative way!

After the delivery debacle of the very large, bulky, heavy product i.e. the ”mattress in a box”, when it eventually ended up where it was supposed to end up...here at my door, not at my landlords’ home, which is a couple of hundred metres up the other end of this block of land ...and, after about an hour of me grunting and groaning, half-inch by half-inch, I slowly managed to ease the monster load inside my humble little abode.

In an email received on the Tuesday morning from the "Koala" company, I’d been informed  the very large...very large...parcel would be delivered somewhere between the hours of 1 pm and 7 pm on the Tuesday.  

 I waited and waited...and waited some more.  Once dark fell, I had my little cabin lit up like a town centre Christmas tree!  7 pm came and went...no sign of my expected delivery.  My anxiety levels rose as the minutes ticked by.

Next morning, I immediately got in touch with the company to ask when I could expect delivery.  

I was assured my king-size mattress-in-a-box had been delivered the previous afternoon.  Politely, I assured the person with whom I was speaking it had not.  I was emailed a photo as proof of delivery.   

Wonders will never cease.  The photo depicted my landlords’ home, brick double-garage with their two vehicles therein!

As I was trying to solve the mystery loud banging began on the rear door of this “cabin”.  Excusing myself from the person helping me solve the mystery, I went to the rear door...opened it...and found my landlord panting and puffing, wheelbarrow in hand.  Lying across the top of the wheelbarrow was a very, very large box!! 

By that stage, I was pretty furious...his loud banging, alone, was enough to set me off, but I managed to contain my feelings.  

 I asked him when it had been delivered (remember, it was by then...the time of his banging on my door....Wednesday morning, around 9.30 am).   

His reply was, “Oh! About an hour ago.”

Doing my best to keep a smile on my face, and not let the anger I was feeling erupt like Mt. Vesuvius and Krakatoa in unison, I asked him to wheel the huge package around to the narrow concrete area out from the glass and screen sliding doors that lead into the main section of this small abode. 

Returning to my conversation with the supplier, I explained why I had deserted our chat. 
  
I have only good things to say about the company, “Koala”.  It was the delivery driver who was at fault.  He didn’t read the instructions...clear, descriptive instructions that were on the exterior of the large box.  From what I was told during that particular conversation, and follow-up communications, he won't make the same error again...

After mayhem had calmed down, is when, with me, the penny dropped!  And what a penny it was!  

I realised I’d been blatantly lied to by my landlord.  The mattress HAD been delivered the previous afternoon...not “about an hour ago” as he had stated.  I had photographic proof!

What frustrated and angered me further was...why on earth would anyone, in his or her right mind, accept a parcel as large, heavy and bulky as the “mattress-in-a-box”, knowing full well it wasn’t theirs?  A tiny parcel...perhaps, in error...but never something as large as the mattress!

Finally, I managed to get the “box” inside, where it remained for a few days because I needed someone...a strong someone...to remove my old, battered, still heavy king-size mattress from the base, and take it to the dump for me.  

In the meanwhile, my two furry roomies were curious, of course, about the strange, large package that was taking up so much floor space.  "Could it be filled with cans of cat food?"  Was a thought that teased them.

Who was I going to call?  Definitely not the Ghostbusters...they’d be of no use in handling the job required.

Instead, I rang Rubbish Removal, and asked Simon for his help.  He advertises in our local “rag”.

Without a moment’s hesitation, he agreed to be my knight in shining armour.  I was very glad I contacted him.  Not only is he a nice person, Simon is an obliging, intelligent, and very strong fellow. 

Feeling utterly useless – and, a little guilty - I stood aside watching him do the heavy lifting all by himself, with nary a grunt, groan, nor a loss of breath...not the loss of one single breath!   I bet he eats lots of spinach.

My two furry bed-mates didn’t think it was very nice of me to lock them out in the back area while the activity was going on.  There was much scratching and knocking at the inner door, along with some not very nice miaowing going on to make their annoyance known. They couldn’t understand what they’d done wrong for me to have treated them so rudely.  How dare I?  I’m sure a few curse words were added to their disgruntled complaints. (They didn’t learn those words from me, of course *cough*)! 

Both furry rascals changed their tune once they’d tried out OUR new mattress. 

Getting out of bed the next morning, and every morning since, has been more difficult than usual, now that WE have a nice new firm Aussie-made mattress.  My hips are grateful, too.  

Upon opening the box, to my delight, I found a lovely fluffy, stuffed koala...a surprise gift from the Koala company.

Simon, not only for his assistance, also deserves high praise for lowering my anxiety levels.  I sometimes talk rubbish, but in this instance, it isn’t the case.

The “Koala” bedding company have been very nice, too.  I have no complaints about them, or their product.  They’ve bent over backwards since the stuff-up.  The delivery driver was given a lesson on delivery, apparently!   

A couple of days ago I received another email from the company saying it wanted to send me a new pillow to help make up for the muddled delivery.  Thanking the lass (through our dealings she and I had become old friends!)...I told the lovely young woman everything was fine, and I didn’t expect anything.  I told her I was very happy with my purchase; and, with the company’s positive, personable communications...its way of dealing with customers.  However, being more persistent than I am, any day now, I am expecting a new “Koala” pillow to arrive.  Aussie-made products...the way to go!

Between the lass at “Koala”, and Simon, it goes to prove nice people are out there.  They are the quiet ones, who go about their lives with dignity and consideration for others. No fanfare required. 

Move over, Sharon... “Nice” rhymes with “ice”.  “Noice” rhymes with “Joyce”.  Joyce had a voice.  It was her choice to buy a Rolls Royce.  Excise didn’t apply, so she paid less than the list price, which was very nice. Bryce, who was always precise, agreed.  Bryce reckoned it was like being in paradise when he was at the controls of the Rolls. 

See what I mean...as well as talking rubbish, I write rubbish, too, as my final paragraph proves!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            

Spinach-Walnut Pesto: Process.4c fresh spinach, 1/4c toasted walnuts, 30g grated Parmesan, 1 chopped garlic clove, 2tsp lemon juice, and 1/4tsp crushed red pepper. With processor on, slowly add 3tbs olive oil. Add 2tbs warm water; process until blended.

Spinach with Chickpeas: Heat 1tbs olive oil in saucepan over med-heat; add 1 chopped onion; cook, stirring, until tender. Add 2 minced garlic cloves, 1tsp lightly toasted and ground cumin seed, 1tbs tomato paste and 1/2tsp salt. Cook, stirring 1-2mins, until the tomato paste has turned a darker colour. Add 460g canned chickpeas, 1c chick or vegie stock, and cayenne, to taste; bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat; simmer 10mins.Stir in 180g spinach, a handful at a time, stir until spinach wilts. Season; simmer uncovered, stirring often, 5mins. Add freshly ground pepper, adjust seasonings to taste.

Creamy Spinach-Chicken Pasta: Cook to al dente stage, 240g pasta of choice.  Cut 2 chicken breasts into small, bite-size pieces; season; coat with flour.  Add 1tbs butter and 1tbs olive to pan over med-high heat. When hot, add chicken; cook until no longer pink on the outside; remove from pan; set aside. Take pan off heat; add 4 minced garlic cloves, 1/3c chick stock, 1tsp lemon juice, 1/2tsp Dijon mustard and a dash of Italian seasonings. Return pan to heat; let bubble 1-2mins. Scrape brown bits from pan base. Add chicken, 1c heavy cream and 155g fresh spinach; cook 5mins or until chicken is cooked through. Drain pasta; toss with sauce. Stir in 1/c grated Parmesan; serve.  


Koala Bedding Company with ever purchase made from their company donate to.....The Koala Foundation: - https://www.savethekoala.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjwm_P5BRAhEiwAwRzSO0VL6L6r1BMpcHRPvORbqDT7Q5qikrKdgypucFtjwRm6n32lm99jvhoC0FMQAvD_BwE




30 comments:

  1. We've needed a new mattress for a while, but you know how that goes.

    Glad to know you can get a quality mattress that isn't like so many other things these days, made in China!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...I do "know how that goes", messymimi. I'd been putting off getting a new one for a long,long time...too long, in fact. I'm glad I finally did so, though. I'd recommend the Koala company to anyone here in Australia...ax described above...the lass I dealt with, and another fellow...were both very, very pleasant, obliging and helpful....and understanding.

      I do my best very best to buy only Aussie products...I do my best, very best to stay away from products from China...especially food...always have done.

      Thanks for coming by...keep taking good care. I hope all is well with you and yours. :)

      Delete
  2. I am so glad you finally got your bed. I hate when things like that happen. It had to be huge to move! Glad you like it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too, Sandie. I guess I should have gotten a new mattress sooner...but finally all is well that ends well. :)

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  3. Kath and Kim left me cold.
    I am so glad that you finally got your new mattress though. A very big hooray for a company which is prepared to admit to mistakes - and to go some way to fixing them as well.
    And another big hooray for the Simons of this world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi EC...I never watched "Kath & Kim" the first time around, believing similar...that it would "leave me cold". However, watching the re-runs I got a good giggle out of it. It brilliantly sent up some within our society...not in a hurtful, harmful way. The show, in my opinion, had some very funny moments.

      I've only high praise for the company and the way they treated me.

      Take good care...and thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you finally got that worked out, what a mess! If we have deliveries or anything where people are going in and out of the house, we close our two cats up in a room too so they won't get out. As you said, they do not like it! I believe ours are convinced they are missing a big cat party when they are closed up! I'm happy for you that you like the new mattress. Having a good one can sure make a big difference in how you sleep and feel the next day. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Bonnie! My two furry rascals certainly did put on a performance that day! I Spoiled little brats! lol

      The new mattress certainly makes it easier on my cranky hips.

      I hope all is going well with you and Tom...all towards the positive. Keep taking good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  5. Your landlord sounds like a royal class d***head. I'm glad the mattress is so comfortable. I'm in need of a new one myself and may look up this Koala company and hope they have my size.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, River. He is!!! He believes he knows everything, and doesn't hold back from spreading his knowledge...barely giving the other person a chance to get a word in! I mostly bite my tongue...and nod or shake my head in accordance! :)

      I do recommend Koala, River. The stuff-up with the delivery was the delivery guy's fault (and my landlord's fault for accepting what was obviously not his).

      The other folk within the company I've dealt with have been more than polite, pleasant and very obliging, as I mentioned in my post. Plus, I am very happy with the product.

      Purchasing the "mattress-in-a-box" suited me...being the age I am, and living alone etc. Even though it is bulky...I feel it was probably easier, by being in a box, to manouvre than a mattress not rolled and packaged that way...if this...how I'm trying to explain it...makes any sense. I don't have a lot of space here, so it seemed the most sensible way for me to go.

      I hope all is well with you and your family...take good care. Thanks for coming by :)
      Delete

      Delete
    2. By the way...Koala have a warehouse in Adelaide. The pillow they are sending me as a gift is coming from Adelaide! :)

      Delete
  6. Anonymous3:17 AM

    Stress and anxiety you didn't need, but it is a quite positive tale about Koala. Having slept on many bad mattresses, I really like mine that I was forced to buy because of a water leak above my bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Andrew...You're are correct...the stress and anxiety I did not need, that is for sure.

      However, Koala company and their product, I am very pleased with. It is a wonderful company to deal with...very obliging...most pleasant.

      Take good care...I hope all is well with you and your loved ones...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  7. Oh how lovely it is to have a decent mattress, does wonders. Sounds like a great firm, special delivery with a new pillow.. take care

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Margaret...it certainly is lovely having a new mattress...I so glad I finally made the decision to replace the old with the new.

      Thanks for coming by...keep taking good care. :)

      Delete
  8. WE also need a new mattress. I have to research best brands and dread the set-up and trying to get ride of the old mattress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tabor...I dreaded all the turmoil etc., of getting a new mattress delivered, brought inside and put onto my existing base; and I dreaded the fuss and bother getting rid of the old one.

      I live alone; have no family to give me assistance; I'm no longer a spring-chicken...and not as fit as I once was...so the thought of what was entailed in getting a new mattress, and getting rid of the old one was daunting.

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  9. I'm glad your challenging adventure turned into a pleasant one. A new mattress, a new pillow coming, a surprise package. Life is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was challenging, Sandra. Nothing gets easier as one grows older...but it's now over and done with, so I let out a sigh, and breathe again! :)

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
    2. It sounds like it was challenging. And you're right about things not getting easier;)

      Delete
  10. Hope your weekend is wondrous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, so good, Sandra...I hope yours is, too! :)

      Delete
  11. Nothing like a new mattress or new bed linen.

    Happy Weekend Wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Jan...I'm loving my new mattress...so are my hips! And the new pillow the company gifted me arrived yesterday...and it is tremendous quality. It's a great pillow, too!

      Take good care, and thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  12. That's quite an amusing story, though I think you will only find it so in hindsight. It kept me on the edge of my seat, having been on the phone so many times with people over missed deliveries or appointments. You're lucky your customer service representative was so empathetic and helpful. They're not always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Dave...It will be a long time coming...the hindsight! :) I will never understand someone accepting delivery of something as large as the product/package was...something that obviously wasn't theirs.

      However, because of the stuff-up by the delivery driver...the company sent me a new pillow as a gift. The pillow, worth $150.00 arrived yesterday...and it is brilliant...very good quality...a wonderful product. I'm so grateful for their generosity and goodwill.

      The company deserves high praise.

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  13. A new mattress is the next big item on my Wish List. Like yours, my hips regularly remind me. I'd be so annoyed if I had all the trouble you had, though, and I'm not known for my patience. Glad you found a nice Simon to help you out. I've always loved Kath and Kim, always a great reminder not to take myself too seriously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Pauline...the Koala Company certainly made up for the carelessness of the delivery driver. I've only good things to say about the company. I think, henceforth, the delivery guy will read the delivery directions carefully. And, perhaps, my landlord has learned not accept huge packages not addressed to him! :)

      On the first run through of "Kath & Kim" I'd didn't watch it...but when I finally did catch up with it on the re-runs...I fell in love with it, too. It was so funny...harmless, good fun. :)

      Thanks for coming by, Pauline. :)

      Delete
  14. Enjoy your new matress and pillow! "All's well that ends well", as they say.

    ReplyDelete