Monday, August 24, 2020

ASPECTS OF LIFE...AND...OF LOVE...






Elma, my mother, circa 1938...in Rockhampton.....modelling a two-piece bathing costume in a parade for the company which was her employer



Two views of Slade Point, via Mackay



Sunshine Beach...looking southward...



Love has many faces.  Love can be joyous, and then as quickly it can become heartbreakingly painful...

Sometimes love is heartless and controlling.  

Love can make one want to soar to the moon and stars beyond.  Love can bring out sides in us we didn’t know we had. Love is many-faceted.

First love can be both beautiful and tortuous.  First love can break a lover’s heart momentarily, or, for some, cause endless despair. 

For the majority, the hurt caused by the loss of a first love remains until the next candidate steps within their circle or aura, breaking down the flimsy, fragile barriers erected.  

Some will ask you to walk beside them throughout life, while others will only want you for a short stroll. Throughout my life, I took quite a few short strolls. We all have the right to be wrong now and then. Sometimes I was more wrong than I was right, but no harm was ever done, or caused; and much fun was had, and enjoyed!

Although, I never had children of my own, the most precious and lasting love is that for one’s child/children, I believe.

It was a week-night, back in 1971, or thereabouts. I was spending the night at my then boss’s home in the Brisbane suburb of Kenmore.  John was away in Sydney at the time, on business.  His wife, Shirley and I were good friends (we still are.  John, sadly, passed away in 1995).  Shirley and I decided to have a “girls’ night in...not out”, along with their two little boys, Gavin and Andrew.

Andrew, their younger son was around two and half years old at the time.  Gavin was two years older than Andrew.  Andrew no longer slept in a cot, having proudly progressed to a bed. The night of my stay-over he was to return to sleeping in his cot, which had remained in his bedroom, while I stole his bed for the night.

Sitting on the sofa in the family room, enjoying a pre-dinner Scotch, Shirley and I chatted while she was in the kitchen preparing dinner (both rooms flowed into one, without a separating wall).  The two little boys had had their dinner earlier, and were playing on the floor in front of me.

Shirley, in her usual, calm, modulated way told Andrew it was time for him to go to bed. Without any ado, Andrew heeded his mother’s gentle words.  The very next minute, I felt tugging on my left arm.

“ ‘ee…’ee! Come on, ‘ee!”  A little voice pleaded.   (My name is rarely, if ever capable of being shortened...but on that particular evening, it was)!

Andrew continued pulling at my sleeve.  His still babyish face upturned, his eyes wide, innocently, and solemnly begging me. “Come on, ‘ee…’ee!”

Finally, I realised what he wanted.

I raised my eyebrows at Shirley...winked, and smiled, “I guess I’ll see you later, Shirley...an early night for me.  It looks like I’m off to bed, too!”

Mop-topped Andrew decided if he had to go to bed, so did I, seeing I was sharing his room, and sleeping in his bed!

Placing my glass on the coffee table in front of me, I followed Andrew into his bedroom.

Without a fuss, eagerly, he climbed into his cot.  After tucking him in, I climbed into his bed.  It was 6.45pm.

Not wanting to disturb the equilibrium, I feigned sleep until I was certain he’d fallen into slumber.

Fearing if I stood up, I would wake him, like a snake, I slithered off the bed, and then crept along the floor on my stomach until I reached the hallway.  Once there, silently, I stood up, and re-entered the family room.

Shirley and I were both laughing as she handed me a refilled glass of Scotch.

The innocence of a child is a wondrous thing.  How could one not love them?

 

When my mother passed away...22nd August, 1974... I was heartbroken.   

I’d flown up to Slade Point, where my mother and my grandmother were living, the moment Nana phoned to tell me Mum had been whisked off to the Mackay Base Hospital.  Slade Point is a beach-side suburb of Mackay.

I went through a difficult time, personally, but I kept my pain and sorrow to myself, only succumbing to my tears and grief when I was alone.  No one else could understand my innermost feelings.  My grief was my own. I had to work through it myself, my way.   

My mother passed away two days after my arrival.  Elma Flora turned 54 years of age a few months earlier... on 17th February, 1974.

Once I'd returned to Brisbane (I was living in a townhouse in Toowong at the time)...back to my daily life and routine...I felt myself falling further and further into a bottomless black pit.  I didn’t know how to stop my descent, or how to climb back up out of the dark depths. On the outside, when in front of those in the outside world, I put on a brave face, hiding my grief, my sorrow.   Inside, I was being torn apart.

That is until one Saturday afternoon a couple of months after my mother died.

Around 1 pm, I decided to have a nap. 

In a very vivid dream, which I remember verbatim to this day, my mother came to me.  
She stood at the end of my bed as clear as if she was, in fact, standing there in reality.

Smiling at me, my mother said, “I’m okay, love. I’m fine.”

Upon waking, I continued to lie on my bed, digesting what I had just “seen”.

The vision of my mother, in my dream, had been crystal clear. I questioned whether it had been a dream, or had she really “come” to me.  It mattered not either way.

The “dream” calmed me.  I found inner peace.  From that moment forth, I began to look at life more clearly.  Everything began to fall into place. I found my way back up out of the deep hollow into which I’d been falling with the help of the dream, or vision.   

The dream was not a subject of discussion.  At the time, I told no one about it, believing it was no one else’s business.


The year rapidly drew to a close.  Christmas was around the corner. Randall (my now late ex-husband) was due back in Brisbane from New York in November, 1974.

(Previously, I’ve written often about Randall.   Regular readers of my blog would be fairly aware of our story.   In a nutshell...Randall and I first met in 1963.  He went overseas in 1965; and, upon his return to Australia in November, 1974, we picked up where we’d left off...)

My head was spinning. in my heart, and in my mind, I knew I still loved Randall, even though his life, and mine, had taken many different paths.  We’d both crossed numerous bridges during the nine years he’d been living overseas.  I was not fooling myself that there weren’t still more to come...both good and bad.

I didn’t meet Randall at the airport the day he flew into Brisbane, instead I remained at work.  His mother invited me to dinner at their home in Geebung, a north-side suburb of Brisbane that evening.

The day dragged for me. My heart pounded in anticipation throughout the day, and gathered in momentum as the afternoon progressed.

Randall had telephoned me from the States a couple of weeks before his departure with instructions to book a holiday rental for the both of us at Noosa or its surrounding area.
At the time, I didn’t have a car.  My boss, John, kindly drove me up to Noosa where I visited various real estate agents in search of suitable accommodation.

I found a perfect little cottage high on densely-vegetated secondary sand dune at Sunshine Beach, around the corner from Noosa Heads...on the southern side of the Noosa National Park.    

The property was called “Anna Capri”.  It stole my heart at first glance.

Perched high on the dune, stairs, fringed by shrubs and trees, led from the one-car, street-level garage up to the house.  Painted white, “Anna Capri” had views from Sunshine Beach, south to Coolum and beyond. The point at Point Cartwright, south of Mooloolaba could be seen in the far distance.

It wasn’t a fancy, flash new house, having been built probably back in the 1940s or thereabouts, but it was cosy, clean and bright. The location, too, was just perfect.   

I fell in love with “Anna Capri” the moment I set eyes upon “her”. I knew the cottage would be an ideal place for Randall and me to re-discover each other; for us to learn if, perhaps, we had a future together.

Paying the agent a rental deposit, I booked “Anna Capri” for a week, to commence the Saturday after Randall’s planned return on a Thursday. The count-down to his arrival had begun in earnest.

Arriving at Randall’s parent’s home in Geebung late on the Thursday afternoon of his arrival back to Australia in November, I was filled with mixed emotions.

 So many “what-ifs” did battle with each other in my mind.



29 comments:

  1. Your mom was ahead of her time - very pretty too.
    I remember those Love is . . .
    . . . finding out that you are beautiful to someone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, Sandie. Mum was a tall, natural red-head. She had poise...carried herself well, and always cared about her appearance...not in a vain way. She did a lot of modelling in her day. She was an "in-house mannequin" for the business she worked for in Rockhampton...before and after my older brother and I arrived on the scene.

      Yes...those "Love is" clips were wonderful. I always looked forward to a new one making its appearance in the newspapers and magazines etc. :)

      Thanks for coming by...I hope all is still well with you and yours. :)

      Delete
  2. Love is a precious, many splendoured thing.
    Your visit from your mother sounds entirely in keeping with her character, and brought you comfort. Which has to be a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is, EC...in many splendoured ways.

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  3. Anonymous12:50 AM

    Yes, the what ifs.
    54 is terribly young to die, even then, and your grandmother was still alive.
    I love the innocence of children and while you may disagree 'Ee, it can all start to go wrong in their early teen years. Their personalities and their upbringing is making them the people they are.
    I don't remember you telling us too much about Randall, and I guess we will hear more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrew. My mother was far too young, that is for sure...and I felt very sad for Nana...having lost her daughter whom she'd stuck by and with all her life.

      Obviously you've forgotten, but I have often written about Randall in previous posts, Andrew. :)

      And, yes...we are all a product of our upbringing. I know, for certain, I am of mine, anyway.

      Thanks for coming by...take care. :)

      Delete
  4. True, Love has many faces: there's love of a parent to a child, love of a child to a parent, love between wife and husband, love between siblings etc...
    I can certainly see how devastating it was for you, to lose your young, beautiful mother.Her appearance in your dream actually saved you and allowed you to continue with your life.
    Alive or dead, a mother's love will always be there for her child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, DUTA...the many faces of love...its reach can be wide and varied.

      The dream that Saturday afternoon was very vivid, indeed. I laid there on my bed for quite a while thereafter...thinking..and thinking...

      Keep taking care...and thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  5. Your other was rather young when she passed and what a lovely looking women she was.
    How wonderful she appeared to you in a dream, amazing that but it helped you move forward.
    So many places you have named that I know and have been there :)
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Margaret...Mum was far too young when she passed. It wasn't fair on so many levels; and it was particularly hard for our Nana, her mother, to have her daughter pass away before she did. They were very close...sisters as well as mother and daughter.

      You know you were the inspiration behind Lucky Starr's song, "I've Been Everywhere!" Margaret! :)

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  6. What a moving post. I love that your mom came back to visit you in a dream.
    Stay safe. Be healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Sandra. It was a very emotional time...and, even though many years have flown by since my mother passed away...I still miss her. She was quick-witted,and she had a great sense of humour...a wonderful sense of the ridiculous... and she didn't suffer fools.

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful picture of your Mom. Your description of your Mom coming to you in a dream really took me back for something very similar happened to me. My Mother and I had often talked with one another how whichever one of us went first, that person would try to contact the other one. We both believed that some part of the spirit often lived on. She died at 66 and I was 36 at the time. I was totally crushed and her death changed me greatly. After the first few months I remembered what we had discussed about coming back and I kept looking for signs of her everywhere but there were none. That led me to an even greater depression. Two years after she died I had a dream in which she was standing at the end of my bed just as in your dream. She didn't speak to me as such, but somehow she made me feel that she was okay and I was going to be okay too. Somehow she made me happy and indeed I was so happy to see her again. When I woke up I felt better than I had felt in a very long time. Was it a dream or was a part of her there? As you said, it didn't matter. What matter was that I had finally seen her and she saw me. That day I began to heal from the long period of my grief.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! Bonnie! I am crying here. Your comment has moved me greatly. I'm so glad that you, too, were able to find some peace of mind and heart, as I was.

      I was 30 years old when my mother passed away. We still had so much to talk about; many stories to share; so much more to laugh over..and, even a few more disagreements; all of which are part and parcel of life. :)

      Thanks for your heartfelt comment, and for coming by, Bonnie...keep taking good care of yourself....best wishes to you and Tom. :)

      Delete
  8. Real love, beyond emotion, is putting the needs of the other ahead of the needs of the self, without regard to recompense. Easy to say, difficult, sometimes, to live out.

    Your mother was an amazing woman, you've told many stories of her before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, messymimi...it is true what you say about real love...so very true.

      Mum faced many battles during her adult life...it wasn't always easy...not easy by far, but she never threw in the towel.

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  9. Your mother and mine shared a birthday, although born in different years. So sad that your mother died at 54, that's too young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was far too young, River. I do recall now we compared our mothers' birth dates (day of the month) previously.

      Take good care..thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
    2. I really enjoyed this post Lee - one little word can bring so many emotions to the front of our minds.
      I’m sorry for the loss of your mother - in the prime of her life as well, and you so young. Was your brother affected by her death as deeply as you were?

      Thank you for all your recent comments on Still Waters, I’ve been trying for ages to get my comments to register here so once again I’m crossing fingers and toes. Here goes......

      Delete
    3. Yes...it worked :)

      Delete
    4. Hey Cathy...Yes, my brother as affected greatly by our mother's death. Mum and Nana...on his suggestion...moved up to Slade Point from Gympie after he married and started his family. My brother and his wife lived in Mackay...and owned the little house Nana and Mum lived in at Slade Point. Graham was very close to both our mother and grandmother

      There had only been the four of us...Nana, Mum, Graham and me...throughout our childhood etc. So we were a pretty tight little group. :)

      You're welcome re my comments on your blog, Cathy. When I click on your name here...and elsewhere in other blogs when you've written a comment...your blog doesn't come up for some reason. Something different must be going on to cause that. Below is what comes up when I click on your name...

      Quote: "Profile Not Available

      The Blogger Profile you requested cannot be displayed. Many Blogger users have not yet elected to publicly share their Profile.

      If you're a Blogger user, we encourage you to enable access to your Profile." End Quote.

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
    5. I often comment using an old blogger account Rather than faff about using name/url Lee. . I’ve had look and hopefully have rectified that. Could you let me know what you see now please

      Delete
    6. It is now back to normal, Cathy...showing details etc. :)

      Delete
  10. Ahh, love! what a beaut post, Lee. So sad that you lost your beautiful mother when she (and you) were so young. And your poor nanna. I remember my parents' sorrow when my sister died. To lose a child must be the worst thing that can happen, I think. I'm glad your mum came appeared to reassure you. Strange, neither of my parents talk to me in the night but my grandmother does. She sits on the side of my bed and reminds me of all sorts of things. Sometimes I think I can feel her hand on mine and feel her breath on my face. That's usually when I wake up, smile and tell her I'm OK. So, are we going to hear more about your romance with Randall? I grew up in Nudgee, not far from Geebung.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Pauline. Yep! Nudgee isn't far from Geebung...and the Sunshine railway station! :)

      I've written quite a lot about Randall in the past...and no doubt will again in the future. Randall and I finally married on 21st March,1976...having initially become engaged on his 21st birthday...11th January, 1965! :)

      It was difficult for Nana losing her daughter, our mother. Nana and Nana were inseparable...Nana helped raise my older brother and me. She was with us through thick and thin...the good times and the bad. For her to have lost her daughter was a tragedy...

      Thanks for coming by...for understanding...take good care. :)

      Delete
  11. Oh your Mum's photo posing in that swimsuit, how lovely!
    I love that she came in to you in a dream or vision, whatever it came to you with a great love and that is all that matters. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kay. Yes...Mum was only 18 in that photo. She also did a lot of underwear modelling for the store she worked for. She was one of their leading sales-girls and in-store mannequin.

      Nana used to tell my brother and me that Mum was the first person in Queensland to model a two-piece bathing suit. If that was true or not, I am unable to vouch for it...but my brother and I were in awe of the story when we were kids. Nana wasn't one to lie...so who knows? :)

      Take good care...I hope all is well with you and your family. Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  12. That is a wonderful photograph of your mum.
    So sad that she died when 54, much too young.
    I think the dream you had of her was amazing.

    My good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Jan. That photo of my mother is framed and hangs on a wall. It's very precious to me :)

      Take good care...thanks for coming by :)

      Delete