Tuesday, August 11, 2020

“ISLE “BE SEEING YOU....THE WONDER YEARS


David & Jamie in the pool


Jamie
Jamie and Daina...with Kaycee looking on!  Circa 1986 on Hinchinbrook Island

Orchid Beach, Cape Richards, Hinchinbrook Island


My time spent as manager of the Hinchinbrook Island resort was wonderful...the “Wonder Years”.

Guests who visited the island’s resort came from all walks of life, from overseas, intrastate and interstate.

Quite a few “name” people visited Cape Richards Resort for a “hide-away” break from the burdens of the “real world”.

British actor, John Nettles holidayed for a week at the resort.  At the time of his visit, Nettles was best known for his lead role in the then popular television series, “Bergerac”.  Later, after “Bergerac” ran its course, John Nettles went onto play the lead role in the series “Midsomer Murders” for a number of years, until he left to pursue his stage career.

John was as nice a person in real life as he appeared to be on television; a quiet, polite gentleman of the first degree. Accompanying him on his Aussie holiday was his then girlfriend, Sue, a nurse, who worked in London.

One of the joys of the laid-back resort was the guests relaxed as they mingled together over “Happy Hour”, and evening drinks, as well as dinner.  Everyone was on a “level playing field”.  There was no peer pressure.  That was the way I wanted it to be; the way I orchestrated it to be.

Dinner guests...breakfast and luncheon diners, too...were treated as if they were guests in my own private, personal dining room...guests in my home, which in a way, they were.  

How much, or how little anyone had in his or her bank account mattered not at all. There was no “pose”, and no “poseurs” (except two or three, but they were rapidly and subtly brought back down to earth with a jolt, with no prisoners taken!)  Each guest was special in his or her own way.

A group of four arrived by sea plane one Saturday. Two women, both in their late fifties, or early sixties, who had been friends for years, I soon discovered, together with the daughter of one, and the son of the other, stepped out of the Grumman Mallard into the punt. Each was not quite sure of what lay ahead. The tentative looks upon their faces mirrored many other arrivals who had gone before, and of those yet to come.

During dinner that evening I spent a quite a lot of time chatting with the new group at their table.  

Jo, the daughter of the Australian woman, worked in the film industry.  Four years earlier, in 1982, she had worked on the production of “The Man from Snowy River”.   
The movie, based, of course, on Banjo Paterson’s poem of the same name, starred Kirk Douglas, Tom Burlinson, Jack Thompson, Sigrid Thornton, among others.

Jo had interesting stories to tell about the making of the movie, and about the magnificent Victorian High Country, where the film was shot in lieu of the actual Snowy Mountains.  (“Film licence”...akin to “poetic licence”...was applied).

Sitting quietly, listening, but saying little, was Jamie, the son of one of the women.  
Jamie was one of the most beautiful-looking young men I had ever seen…have ever seen. His blond hair, naturally streaked by the sun framed his near-perfect face. Jamie’s clear green eyes displayed a youthful shyness. To match his good looks, he had the body of a Greek god. He and his mother were visiting Australia from Bellingham, way up north in Washington State, not far from Vancouver, British Columbia.

To me, Jamie appeared burdened by his beauty. By no means was he vain. However, he seemed to hide from the world, a world, which, unfortunately, in many cases, judges people on their appearance.

Upon arriving in Australia, Jamie had gained part-time employment in Melbourne to help cover the costs of his vacation, a job he’d given up to come to the island with his mother and her friends.

Over dinner, I drew the shy young man into the conversation.  I learned he’d not long turned nineteen years of age, and was taking a year’s “sabbatical” before going to college back in the States.

During the following week of the group’s stay, I continued my attempt to draw Jamie out of his shyness at every opportunity.  I understood it must have been somewhat difficult for him being on holidays with his mother, her best friend, and Jo, the daughter, who was in her late twenties. Not an ideal age group with whom a young man should be spending his holidays.

On top of the obvious, Jo appeared to be in “recovery” from some unspoken malady, or broken-heart, or perhaps both. She wasn’t the brightest of company for anyone, let alone a reserved lad of nineteen.

The day of the group’s departure arrived. I took Jamie aside, and told him if he ever wanted a job during his stay in Australia, to not hesitate in calling me. I promised I would find a place for him at the resort.

A pleasant surprise awaited me on the end of the telephone line a couple of weeks or so later.  It was Jamie asking me if my job offer still stood.

“Of course it does!” I answered. “I’m so glad you made the decision. When can you get here?”

Within a few days, Jamie arrived to the island.

At first, my staff was wary.  

One young lass, Bronnie, said to me when I announced that Jamie would be joining them, “You mean that guy who was holidaying here a couple of weeks ago…the good-looking one?”

“Yep..that’s him,” I told her.

“But, he’s stuck-up!” Bronnie retorted petulantly.

“How would you know that, Bronnie? You don’t know him. Just because he’s a handsome young man, doesn’t make him “stuck up!” I said, more than a little agitated by her prejudicial attitude. “Give the boy a chance when he gets here. I expect…I want you and the rest of the crew to give him a “fair go”.  Don’t judge a book by its cover. I got to know Jamie when he stayed here, you didn’t! He's a lovely young fellow...you'll see!  You will soon be eating your words!”

In no time at all, the staff, both male and female fell in love with Jamie. He was such a fine young man one couldn’t help but fall under his spell. He had absolutely no airs or graces about him whatsoever.

David, my wild, fun-loving, no-holds-barred chef (with whom I am still good friends) and Jamie became great mates.

It was the best thing that Jamie could have done, come to work at the island resort. Doing so certainly made his visit to Australia memorable.

Even hard-nosed Bronnie (whom I adored) wilted in his presence.  She and Jamie became a good friends. Daina, another young staff member, fell hard and fast.  It was much more than “friendship” Daina felt towards Jamie. She became smitten. It wasn’t difficult to understand. If I’d been her age, I would have become so, too. As it was .I felt very protective towards Jamie. He was special. He glowed.  All who met him couldn't help but be affected by his unique aura.

Late one afternoon as I approached the restaurant area after changing into my evening attire (smart-casual), I heard a lot of ruckus and much loud laughter. There in the pool in front of me, David and Jamie, dressed up as pirates, were sailing one of the island’s small (very tiny) catamarans. They were smaller than a Hobie cat!

I blew a fuse, even though inside I could see the funny side, but at the precise moment Keeping a lid on the amusement I felt, I ordered them out of the pool, and to take the craft back down to the beach where it belonged. 

I’ll never forget the look on their faces. They were like two little boys being harshly reprimanded by their mother! To this day, I laugh about it, each time I recall that afternoon; and their sheepish reactions.  

It wasn’t really them that made me angry, but some else that had occurred. 

Only a couple of days before their innocent hi-jinx, a guest had sailed one of the small wind-riders out far beyond the island’s permitted perimeters.  Restrictions had to be placed on to the areas, and to the distances guests could sail. I didn’t have the necessary safety and rescue teams in case of emergencies. The small crafts were only suitable for playing around in shallow waters close to the resort beach.

To be continued......

21 comments:

  1. Your memories of those Wonder Years are cherished and I suspect that others cherish them too. Including some people where the impact of your hospitality and that beautiful place would perhaps surprise you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, EC...very cherished, indeed, EC. I'm still friends with some of my ex-staff...and guests, too. Halcyon days.

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  2. Oh my! You left us hanging! I would have loved to visit that resort. It all sounds lovely. I can see how any girl could easily fall for Jamie. I look forward to the end of this story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Bonnie. I always feel grateful...and lucky...to have spent that time on the island. Sadly, the resort no longer exists...but the memories of my time living there certainly do exist in abundance!

      The photo doesn't really do the fine, young lad justice..but it does give you an idea. :)

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  3. Good memories Lee, I laughed when I read about them dressed up as pirates - something else happened, have to wait till next week.
    Jamie is a nice looking in the photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Margaret. Yes...that scene before me of the two of them in the pool is embedded in my mind. They were having a ball...until The Dragon Lady, me...arrived! lol

      Such fun...

      Thanks for coming by...take good care. :)

      Delete
  4. Anonymous3:49 AM

    I was feeling a little glum because of family issues but I am now smiling. I look forward to hearing more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Andrew...I'm sorry you've been feeling a little glum. The blues are fairly prevalent at present, and it is the reason why I wanted to share a uplifting story. I'm glad my efforts worked! :)

      Take good care...I hope all is well with your family...chin up...thanks for coming by.:)

      Delete
  5. You were very fortunate to live and work on that island resort! It had enriched your life with people of all sorts,special like Jamie, and memories to last you a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly was, DUTA. I didn't go in search for the job...it, fortunately, landed in my lap, and it was impossible for me not to accept it.

      Many wonderful times were had, and many wonderful people were met.

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  6. Oh I love the first building, I am sure some folks consider me stuck up but I am shy and sometimes find it difficult on how to start up conversations especially in large groups

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Linda...the main dining/bar area was all open...no walls, or windows...it was lovely...a terrific atmosphere...conducive to happiness. :)

      Some do shortsightedly mistake shyness...and believe the person is stuck-up. Some are too quick to judge. :

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  7. I would love to be on that island right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sandie...it's a magnificent island. It will always hold a special place in my heart.

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :0

      Delete
  8. I do hope this story ends well.

    You had such an interesting and fun work life, Lee. The hospitality industry has taken such a hit from Covid and I wonder what it will look like in the years to come. My daughter was sales manager at a beautiful resort for for 25 years. She started it right out of college and knows nothing else. Her job is gone and the future is frightening for the millions of people who put adventure and joy into all of our lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Arleen...Yes...I did have an interesting and fun work life...I didn't start out with a plan...things just fell into place,..fun places in many instances. :)

      The hospitality industry here in the Land of Oz is taking a huge hit, too. The future certainly is an unknown. Restaurants/eateries worked on a very fine profit line as it was...my heart goes out to them...to every being affected so badly. It's going to take a long time for things to get back on track.

      I wish your daughter well...and hope things turn around for her...in a positive way.

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  9. How glad i am that you let Jamie come work for you, and that he had a good time. My hope is the whole story has a happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, messymimi...Jamie was such a lovely lad. I believe a stint on the island...at island living could only be good for him. His smile was a sunny as the most sunniest of days. :)

      Take good care...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  10. I got labelled "stuck-up" at school, both primary and high schools, because I kept to myself and didn't talk to others. Why? Because I was so painfully shy, even saying hello was hard for me. I still have days like that, although I try harder now to talk to people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a shy child, too, River. I learned how to disguise my shyness as I entered the work force in my early teens. Mum told me years later she worried about me, and my shyness...hoping I wouldn't miss out on the fun and good things in life as I entered the "adult" world. Insecure feelings can engulf one...

      Sometimes we just have to take that deep breath and forge forward. I've taken more than I can count through my life.

      Thanks for coming by...take good care.

      Delete
  11. You do have such memories ...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete