Tuesday, April 16, 2019

EASTER ALERT!




I’ve not seen any rabbits hopping around about the place, but there’s quite a big hare affair going on here, there and everywhere. 

Yesterday, seemingly, without a care in the world, for a few hours a large hare sat out from my kitchen window.  He was either exhausted from spying on me, or contemplating where to hide his stash of Easter eggs.  He was wise to my spying on him, of that I was certain. 

Mr. Hare finally wore me down, and I gave up my covert operation.  In case he was eyeing off my rejuvenated choko vine, which has begun sharing its fresh produce with me, I gently tossed - a little west of where the pensive hare was meditating so as not to disturb him – two apples that had become a bit past their bite-by-date, but still in fine, palatable condition.
 
The apples were a special Easter treat for him and his family, given in thanks for being good neighbours.  They don’t throw any noisy parties, night or day.

There’s no point splitting hares...I love seeing them around the place, as I do the native birdlife, which are varied and many, including the maligned scrub turkeys.  Like me, the latter are tough old birds.  

A smile comes to my face and brightens my morning each time one scuttles across the road in front of my car when I’m on my way to the local supermarket.  On a mission, with neck outstretched, head facing determinedly in the direction of its destination, nothing will hinder its purpose – I’m referring to the scurrying turkey, of course – not to me! 

If the scrub turkeys wish (they are also known as brush turkeys and bush turkeys, depending on which school you went to or didn’t go to) – they are welcome to sit at my dinner table; but they’ll never have a place on my dinner plate. They’re too quick for me to catch, anyway. I can’t even catch a cold...which is a good thing, by the way.   The last time I managed to catch a cold was back around July, 1998!  They’ve either been too fast for me to catch, or I, too fast for them to capture!

I’ve not yet raided my stock of Cherry Ripes.  The temptation is great, though.

Have faith...I shall!  

Like a magnet, my fridge keeps pulling me towards it, but I stop myself halfway.  I’m amazed at my self-restraint. 

For me, Easter has to include Cherry Ripes; just as Christmas must include a load of Liquorice Allsorts.  Christmas is the only time I eat Liquorice Allsorts; although, I do eat liquorice – Darrel Lea Batch 37 - throughout the rest of the year.  I love liquorice.

Okay! So I’m weird, with an assortment of personal quirks, but as you’re aware, it takes all sorts...

Sunday mornings throughout our childhood my brother and I attended Sunday School at the Scots Church in Nash Street, Gympie.  In those years there were two Presbyterian Churches in Gympie.  My brother and I attended the smaller Nash Street church because it was closer to home. 

Sunday lunch was always an event in our humble household, but Easter Sunday lunches were on par with Christmas.  Easter Sunday’s lunch was a feast to behold; to savour and enjoy. 

The aromas wafting through the air as we raced up the backstairs made our mouths water. 

Just the thought of the roast chicken and roast pork or lamb, perhaps beef – two roast meats...chicken and another...were always part of the celebratory fare – along with ham and, naturally, a variety of vegetables - caused us to salivate enough to break a drought!

Helping our Nana make the rich, brown gravy was never a chore. Nana was a good cook, and an equally good teacher of same.

Mum’s responsibilities were setting, decorating the dining table, and the preparation of vegetables to be placed in the oven when the time was right.  One of her “chores” was to play the piano while the luncheon preparations were underway.  Previously, many times, I’ve written about our mother’s brilliance on the ivories.  She was a wonderful pianist...a natural talent.

Because the hares have lost interest in my choko vine, on Easter Sunday my delicious, juicy chokos will play an important role in my roasted vegetables...unpeeled and not seeded, of course. The only vegetables I peel are onions. 

Have a most pleasant Easter weekend, whichever way you choose to spend it, and with whom you choose to share it.  I’ll be enjoying Easter weekend with my two best mates....Remy and Shama, who, by the way, have no interest in my Cherry Ripes.

Be safe on the roads.  However, beware of hares bearing eggs...you don’t know where they’ve been - both the hares and their wares!

Herb-Crusted Roast Lamb: Preheat oven 180C. Put 2 large peeled garlic cloves, 2tbs chopped ginger, grated rind of 1 lemon, 2tbs chopped parsley, 2tbs chopped mint and 1tbs chopped fresh rosemary in processor; blast 1min until finely chopped. Add 1 to 2tbs olive oil slowly until bright green mixture forms. Set aside. Place leg of lamb in roast pan with 1 roughly-chopped onion and 1/2c water. Roast...20-25mins per 1/2kg.  30mins before end of cooking spread herb mix all over it. Return to oven. Top up water level if necessary. When cooked throw away the onion; remove excess fat. Add a good dash of dry red wine to pan juices; boil and reduce to a syrup; season to taste.

Easter Vegies: Preheat oven 218C. Cut 450g unpeeled red spuds into lengthwise wedges. Cut 2 large carrots and  2 chokos into 5cm lengths; cut ¼ unpeeled jap pumpkin and 1 large zucchini into 5cm pieces; cut 250g large mushrooms in half. Toss in olive oil; add 2 crushed garlic cloves; season with Italian herbs, salt and black pepper; toss to coat. Spread in single layer on roasting tray; bake 40-45mins, until golden.   Add whatever you wish to add...onions, Brussels sprouts...parsnips...the choices are yours to make...to add....

Easter Jaffa Mousse: Heat 100g dark chocolate, 125g butter, 30ml strong coffee and zest of 1 orange on med-heat until melted. Beat 3 egg yolks; slowly add choc mix from a height, while beating; cool. Beat egg whites to soft peaks; slowly add 30ml castor sugar while beating until stiff peaks form; fold whites through cooled choc mix. Beat 125ml cream to soft peaks; fold through the mousse. Pour into 6x160ml serving glasses; chill at least 3hrs. Serve topped with orange zest and........Almond Praline; Line baking tray with baking paper; combine 1/2c castor sugar and 2tbs water in saucepan over low heat; cook, stirring, until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to high. Boil, without stirring until mixture turns golden. Remove from heat. Set aside 5mins to allow bubbles to subside. Add 1/4c slivered almonds. Pour onto prepared tray; cool. Break praline into shards.     Again...you can use nuts of your choice.....peanuts, pine nuts, pecans etc., etc., et al...and eat them all)!

                                                             

22 comments:

  1. I remember the days when roast chicken for dinner was a special occasion, like Christmas or a wedding. The rest of the time it was lamb chops, or sausages with a lamb roast on Sundays and lamb sandwiches for several days after. Chokos were unheard of, but we had plenty of roasted spuds and carrots, with pumpkin being more of a winter addition.
    We rarely got Easter Eggs, mum always said those hollow bunnies with fancy wrapping were a waste of money and a block of chocolate was cheaper with more chocolate, since they were never hollow, so that's what we got. I made sure to give my own children chocolate bunnies and chocolate chickens though, I loved seeing the excitement on their faces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, River...we always received Easter eggs when we were kids...brought by the Easter Bird, not Bunny. We'd build a nest each for the eggs to be deposited in...beside our beds. And the eggs we received were always the sugar ones, never chocolate.

      Chokos were always part of our fare when we were kids....a vine grew over our fowl house...and every season produced loads of chokos.

      I hope you have a lovely Easter, River...thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  2. I too remember the days when roast chicken was a rare treat. We never had a 'Sunday Roast' but ate well all year round.
    Have a wonderful peaceful Easter Lee. I hope that it is all that you, that Remy and that Shama could wish for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...EC....roast chicken was only on special occasions back in those days. However, our Sunday lunch was always an "affair"....either roast beef or lamb with all the trimmings...or boiled silverside or corned beef with white sauce and loads of boiled vegies...and always dessert..."pudding" as we called it back then, not "dessert".

      Enjoy your Easter weekend, EC...mine will be spent very quietly...by choice. Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  3. Anonymous11:49 PM

    I had to read the first line and I knew hare splitting would be in there somewhere. Chickens for roasting must have been much larger back then as they seemed to adequate for quite a number of people. I am puzzled how a family would go to church Sunday morning and still sit down to a Sunday roast lunch. Highly organised I suppose, and wouldn't have been ready for noon. Did the hare eat the apple?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrew...along with the roast chicken was roast lamb or beef, and leg ham...and in those days when I was a little kid we only ever had chicken at Christmas and Easter Sundays...with the other roasts included as mentioned above.

      I imagine the hares, along with a bird or two - perhaps even with the help of a possum during the night finished off the apples because they weren't there the next day...some creature or creatures were happy with their special treats whichever version they were. :0

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
    2. Andrew, I remember mum putting the roast in the oven on a lower temperature with all the veggies around the meat or chicken, then we'd go out, as a family, "window shopping" and generally just walking around, getting home at lunch time with everything cooked and ready to serve as soon as gravy was made.

      Delete
    3. Anonymous12:29 AM

      River, of course, thanks. Slow roasting.

      Delete
  4. Roast Lamb is the Thing on our Passover table. Your recipe is right on time.
    You should feel blessed for not catching a cold; your immunity system is probably strong. May it stay that way endlessly!
    Wishing you a joyful Passover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, DUTA....I love roast lamb. On Good Friday I'm preparing a salmon mornay for myself. I never eat meat on Good Friday...never have...another tradition I uphold. I've some pork to roast for myself on Easter Sunday. (Saturday, I'll no doubt be still eating left-over salmon mornay!) :)

      Thanks for coming by...Enjoy your Passover...and your roast lamb. :)

      Delete
  5. I love to see the first spring rabbits run around in my yard. They are the cutest animals but I always worry about their survival. We have lots of hawks looking for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Arleen...It's autumn down this way, of course. The food chain goes on and on...it's all part of life, living and dying, I guess.

      Thanks for coming by....I hope you have a Happy Easter spent with your loved ones or however you will be spending it. Take good care. :)

      Delete
  6. Blessed Easter to you, i hope you enjoy your Cherry Ripes and chokos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, messymimi...best thoughts for Easter back to you.

      I hope yours is filled with love and relaxation...and lots of chocolate!!!

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  7. Sadly Cherry Ripes are a thing of the past - they are eaten too quickly and then regret sets in (guilt is more like it).
    Happy Easter Lee. A very special time of the year.
    Take care
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cathy....There is lots of guilt hanging about in my fridge and freezer at the moment...the freezer is well-stocked with Peters Connoisseur ice-creams! :)

      Have safe and happy Easter, Cathy...you take care, too...and thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  8. You introduced me to Cherry Ripes and the only place I could find them was on Amazon. They are yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm laughing here, Annie! We certainly do have similar tastes in many things, not only TV series, it would appear! lol Yep! Cherry Ripes are yummy. I've loved them from when I was a little kid - the only thing that has changed is the number of years I'm wearing!

      A Happy Easter to you and your family...take good care...and thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  9. Glad you had a blessed Easter. Look at this I can finally comment now!

    I don't know if you noticed, but I've been gone for a couple of weeks - my computer crashed and it has taken me forever to get myself going again and I am totally back yet. I may not go back and answer all your letters, but I am here.

    Sandie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sandie...I've just discovered your comment. How great to see you, as it always is! :)

      I hope you had a very enjoyable Easter weekend with your family. Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  10. Hope you had a peaceful Easter.
    Ours was nice, we were able to spend some time with family and our son cooked a very nice Roast Lamb dinner!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jan..like Sandie's comment above...I've only just discovered yours, too.

      I had a very quiet, peaceful Easter...planned that way....just me and my two furry maters. :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete