Thursday, April 11, 2019

HERE’S A TALE FOR YOU TO COTTON ON TO...

Alexandra Headland
Noosa's Laguna Bay - the main beach
Me, aged Sweet Sixteen...on Mooloolaba Beach...in front of the Surf Lifesaving Clubhouse
Mooloolaba





In case you’re not aware I’ll draw your attention to something you may have missed because it passed by so quickly - time.  Already it’s April, the fourth month!  I don’t know about you, but I’m gobsmacked.  To where did the first three months disappear? Why so swiftly? What was so important it caused them to depart in haste, without warning or apology?  They could’ve hung around a little longer before being accused of overstaying their welcome!

The following fact has already crossed your mind, of course.  You really don’t need me to inform you, but - because I can’t help myself - I will, anyway.
The evidence is clear to see.

Hot Cross buns, bunnies, Easter eggs of myriad varieties and sizes have popped up everywhere – impossible to ignore hints Easter is just around the corner.  Actually, Easter is next week.

Update alert! My chocolate bunny mate, Clint Lindt, has spent another comfortable year, untouched, safely ensconced in my fridge.  His safety is gold-clad.  Lately, I’ve been hearing strange noises during the night.  Along with songs of joy, Clint hops in tune knowing his existence remains secure as long as I’m around. In chocolate bunny years, he must be almost as old as I am!  

However, Clint’s more flexible than I am by the noises coming from my fridge.  There’s no way I can jump up and down. As for my singing – it’s for my ears only; even they droop at the sound of it.

If I was still a teenager my Easter plans would already be set in the sand.  
Spending every weekend during spring, summer and autumn at the coast – the Sunshine Coast, that is - my girlfriends and I were well-versed in where to stay, never having difficulty in securing accommodation a hop, step and jump from the beach - at any time of the year.  How sweet it was!

Mooloolaba or Alexandra Headland were our original stomping grounds, but Noosa Heads soon stole our hearts, as did a few of the lifesavers.  Ours was puppy-love conducted from afar.  

( https://noosatoday.com.au/stories/08-08-2017/pencil-writes-his-name/   (The article is written by Ron Lane.  For years Ron was captain of the Noosa Heads Lifesaving Club.  Following his lengthy tenure as captain, he then spent many, many years as the club's president.   Ron was best man at my first wedding.   We remain good friends to this day.  My first husband was a Noosa lifesaver; he, too, and I have remained on friendly terms.  For many years...and still does....Ron, who is now 80, has written for the "Noosa News"...the local newspaper.  Ron was also a good mate of my late brother, Graham).

My girlfriends and I back then when we were teenagers may have been au fait in the art of surfing and sun-baking, but dating didn’t play a major role in our agenda.  Our energy was devoted to the joys of the ocean, and rocking at record hops. Being friends with the boys was more important than having boyfriends. 

Anyhow, for me, with an older brother, with a watchful eye, who was also a Noosa Heads Surf Lifesaver, he was deterrent enough for any likely lad who may have had amorous thoughts on his mind!  

Going through old photos and faded newspaper cuttings during my decluttering phase, I found a photo of a friend and me pretend-struggling with a beach umbrella at Mooloolaba. It appeared in a 1961 edition of the “Sunday Mail”.

Also among my long-held memorabilia I discovered a photo of a happy quartet taken outside my workplace around 5 pm on Easter Thursday 1963. It featured in Easter Saturday’s issue of the “Gympie Times”. 

Excited and eager to be on our way to Noosa for the Easter weekend, my three friends and I urged “Brownie”, the photographer, to quickly click so we could be on our way.  An impatient Noosa was beckoning. 

Mr. Brown and I worked together in the same Gympie law firm.  I handled all his dictation...in the days I was adept in the art of shorthand.

In his spare time “Brownie” was a professional photographer.  “Brownie” as everyone affectionately called him was a devoted father of three.  He was a well-known, respected local.

Coincidentally, years previously, he’d been employed as a clerk at Rockhampton’s Court House around the time I was born.  I never did discover if he was the guilty clerk who spelled my name incorrectly on my birth certificate! 

Next week I'll put up another Easter post....

Coconut Brownie Bite Easter Nests: Preheat oven 176C. Grease mini muffin pan. In bowl combine 1c melted, cooled unsalted butter and 1-1/2c sugar. Add 4 large eggs one at a time, mixing after each. Stir in 1tsp vanilla extract. In separate bowl, combine 3/4c cocoa, 1c plain flour and pinch of salt. Add to egg mix all at once; mix until no streaks of dry ingredients remain; add 1/2c shredded coconut. Scoop into muffin pan; fill cups nearly all the way to the top. Bake until set and bounce back when lightly touched, about 15mins. Cool 5mins in pan; transfer to rack to cool completely. Spread 1c sweetened shredded coconut on baking tray; bake in 176C oven until golden, 5-6mins; cool completely. In bowl over simmering water, melt 2tbs butter and 1/2c chocolate chips; stir until smooth; remove from heat. Dip tops of brownie bites into melted choc; return to rack; cover with toasted coconut. Garnish with sugar-coated milk chocolate mini-Easter eggs.

Hot Cross Brownies: Preheat oven 160C. Line 28x18cm brownie pan with baking paper. Melt 120g salted butter and 230g chopped white chocolate; cool 5mins. Whisk 3/4c white and 1/4c brown sugar into white choc mix. Add 3 large eggs and 1-1/2tsp vanilla; whisk until smooth. Gently fold in 1/2c plain flour, 1/4tsp salt and 100g white choc chips. Pour batter into pan. Bake 25mins, until top is golden. Cool in pan, set on wire rack. Spread a thin layer of Nutella over top of cool brownie; cut into squares. Melt 100g white choc chips; draw neat crosses across each brownie using piping bag or spoon. Crush a packet of Oreos; sprinkle over brownies as desired.

Brownie Martini: Fill cocktail shaker with ice, 28g each vanilla vodka/vodka, crème de cacao, 14g Frangelico and 1tbs cream; shake; strain into martini glass; garnish with shaved dark chocolate.

24 comments:

  1. The year is rocketing by frighteningly fast. I was appalled to see hot cross buns on Boxing Day. Perhaps this has sped the year up?
    I am glad (and unsurprised) to hear that Clint is still enjoying his residence in your fridge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi EC....I'm with you re the early arrival...too early arrival of Hot Cross buns in the shops. The first Hot Cross buns I have each year...are at Easter.

      Clint sends you his regards....thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  2. Time sure does fly.
    Nice looking young men in the photo Lee...built solid, muscles etc. and over done.
    The photo of you is just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Margaret. I's just had my hair cut short, too...and then immediately let it grow back long again. Those were the days!!

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  3. Oh, my! Brownie martini!
    You were such a pretty sixteen year old. Have a lovely Easter, Lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jenny...that martini does look inviting, I must admit.

      Thank you for coming by and I wish you lovely Easter weekend, too. :)

      Delete
  4. those were the days weren't they, music and beach, I can't believe how fast time is going by, I have a dark chocolate bar in the fridge I keep for the occasional craving and then I can break one square off and eat it. It's been in there for quite some time. a brownie martini, totally decadent

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes they certainly were the days, Linda....wonderful times...and fabulous music.

      One must always have some chocolate in the fridge...I do...for those moments I feel like having some...but Clint...he knows he will remain untouched. He's part of the family now! lol

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  5. That's a lovely photo of you at the beach. Much simpler times back then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi River...The wonderful days of youth...of our younger years when we were all sprightly, bright young things! It was a great time...and as you say...much simpler.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  6. Anonymous3:13 AM

    A nice reminisce. You were quite mature, ahem, at the age of 16 and very attractive too. Pretend struggle with a beach umbrella? Like to make a point that is was windy on the beach?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Andrew....The days of wine and roses. All a past memory...how one changes through the years as they fly by! lol

      Yes...the umbrella act was pretending there was a wind against which we were fighting.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  7. Coconut treats and cookies are very popular during our Passover holiday which falls next week (on the 19th). Your coconut recipe (except the plain flour - which is forbidden) is quite on time.Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'Day, Duta...lots of tempting treats surround at this time of the year...I've my share of them in readiness. I'm sitting on my hands to stop me from sneaking a taste or three. :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Third picture down...If I had been on that beach that day, displaying my bronzed and manly torso I would have flopped down next to you and said, "Excuse me honey pie, would you mind applying some tanning oil to my back?" And if your brother Graham had suddenly appeared in your defence, I would have happily displayed some of my best wrestling holds, forcing Graham into submission.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Yorkie...Firstly, I would've either told you to get lost or just totally ignored you.

      And, as for Graham, he was a pretty good boxer. He was in the Police Youth Club...Boxing Club. No one tangled with him...if they did it was at their own peril! lol

      Our father, Joe Nicholson, when he was a young bloke back in the mid-30s was Central Queensland Boxing Champion.

      I doubt you would have brought Graham into submission! lol In the Surf Club his nickname was "Ding-Ding"....ring the bell and he'd come out fighting lol

      Thanks for the laughs...and for coming by. :)

      Delete
    2. Okay. Point taken. If I had spotted you on the beach that day, I would have run for my life!

      Delete
    3. Hahahahahaha!

      Delete
  10. Loved seeing all of your photographs here.

    Yes, the year is simply flying by, I can't believe it's Easter next weekend.
    I keep saying I must get my Easter decorations out - I don't go too mad just have a few Easter baskets and chicks around … grand-daughter loves to see them too :)

    Take care.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jan....no Easter decorations here for me (similar applies to Christmas now...with just me and my two furry mates...I gave away all my Chrissy decorations a few years ago). But...there will be lots of treats to treat myself with...and some, of course, for Remy and Shama, too. They never miss out on anything! :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  11. So many good memories. Time just slips past us, that is sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All too quickly, it does, messymimi. The way this years has been acting...in a way...I wish it would just disappear....it's not been on its best behaviour within my small circle of life. But...that's life, I guess.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  12. My computer died and I had to get a new one. I am way behind, but I can now leave a comment on your blog!

    ReplyDelete