Monday, April 08, 2019

WHAT’S IN A NAME?


Nureyev and Fonteyn in the ballet "Romeo and Juliet"
Lee J. Cobb playing the pivotal role of Willy Loman in Arthur Miller's play -  "Death of a Salesman" 



“That which we call a rose by any other word would smell as sweet?”  That, my friends, is the question the ill-fated romantic Juliet asked of her mother in Shakespeare’s “Romeo and Juliet”.  

As the story goes, in the first version of the well-known tragedy, which actually debuted in 1597, the word “word” wasn’t used. “Name” was, in fact, the word used, not “word”.  The word “word” replaced “name” in the 1599 second printing of the play.  

Are you confused yet?   Don’t be!   Does it really matter after 420 or 422 years?  It mattered not to Juliet, who was a Capulet (not a catapult), her beloved Romeo was a Montague.  For all she cared, he could’ve been a Sioux.  Juliet’s desire was for Romeo to be her beau.

Name calling has many facets.  Some names or words are spoken with good intentions; some are praiseworthy; others can be nasty and unnecessary; some are uttered after careful deliberation; others are made innocently in error; and some emanate from ignorance.

Before I entered this world my mother enjoyed the legendary movie “Gone with the Wind”; having also read Margaret Mitchell's masterpiece before the film made its appearance on the screen.   

Like millions of movie-goers she became a fan, not only of the film, but also of Vivien Leigh who played Scarlett, the vixen whose beguiling ways bewitched the handsome Rhett. 

No...Mum wasn’t going to call me “Scarlett” or “Rhett”.   (I was born decades before soon-to-be parents gained the advantage of learning the gender of their unborn child).  
Upon discovering I was a girl once I entered the scene, Mum named me after Vivien “Leigh”.   

However, subconsciously, the clerk at Rockhampton’s Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages was a fan of actor Lee. J. Cobb who was a fairly popular character actor, featuring in in many movies from the mid-Thirties forth; as well as starring in famed Broadway productions such as "Crime and Punishment", "Golden Boy", "Waiting for Lefty" etc.  

10 years following my debut, Lee J. Cobb gained deserved acclaim because of his role in the multi-award winning film, “On the Waterfront”.  Cobb played Marlon Brando’s nemesis - union boss “Johnny Friendly” in the exceptional movie.

At the Rockhampton Court House, on my birth certificate, the clerk , not a bright spark, erroneously wrote “Lee”.   

Henceforth, Lee I was named - not Cobb, Rhett, Scarlett, nor was my name spelt "Leigh".   

Personally, I prefer the “Lee”, spelling - I don’t mind me, either.  Although I do have my "moments" when I don't!   I've gotten to know me well...far better than anyone else has, or ever will.  

I’m glad the clerk made an orthographic error.  It’s a rare instance where incorrect spelling doesn’t annoy me. 

Over the years I’ve been called a variety of names’ some flattering; others quite the opposite.   

Fiddle-dee-dee! As long as I don’t call myself late for lunch - frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn!

Last week I was called a name, which made my heart soar. (Correct spelling...”soar” as in “ascend like a rocket”...not “sore” as in pain, hurting).   

A dear friend – someone I’ve known since I was a wee child aged three and a half years; a confidante about whom I’ve previously written - called me her “Forever Friend”.   

No words are necessary for her and me to know we’ll always have each other’s back.   

With our matching sense of lunacy, for years we’ve referred to each other as “my Second Best Friend” – an acknowledgment we nicked from the 60s very popular Australian TV satirical sketch comedy show - “The Mavis Bramston Show”.

Having overnight dwelt on my elevation in the ranks, the following morning I phoned my friend to give her thanks for my heightened position from being her “Second Best Friend” to “Forever Friend”. 

I suggested a badge could be in order as recognition of my advancement.  I might have pushed my luck a little...

Spelt Bread: Combine 4c wholemeal spelt flour, 1tbs active dry yeast, 3tbs x-virgin olive oil, 1-1/2tsp salt and 1tbs coconut sugar in bowl; slowly add in approx 1-1/4c water, a bit at a time until a dough consistency forms.  If it gets too sloppy, just add some more flour until dough becomes easy to knead. The amount of water differs depending on how coarse the spelt four is. Knead about 5mins. Cover with tea towel; rest 20mins. The dough should rise to about double in size. Transfer into lightly greased loaf tin; or form into round shape, and place in a heavy round dish like a Dutch oven.  Lightly brush top with milk; sprinkle with seeds of choice; make a cross shape with knife. Bake 1 hour at 200 C.  Bake the first 30mins covered; remove cover for last 30mins, so the seeds don't burn.  

Grilled Corn on the Cob: Submerge 6 husked corn cobs in water 20-30mins. Remove corn, dry with paper towels; individually wrap cobs in foil. Place on a hot grill, on indirect heat; cover. Turn as needed; cook until tender on all sides, 20-25mins.. Remove corn from foil; place on direct heat to create char marks. Turn quickly to avoid burning. Once charred on all sides, place on serving platter. Brush with butter/garlic butter; season with salt, pepper and chilli powder; sprinkle with juice of 2 limes and crumbled goat cheese.  

Scarlet Muffins: Preheat oven 180C. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with baking paper. Rinse 1c un-cooked quinoa. Bring it to boil in 2c water. Cover, reduce heat; simmer 10mins. Turn off heat; leave covered on stove, for 10mins. Fluff with a fork; cool.  Blend 1/3c coconut milk, 4 eggs and seeds of 1 vanilla bean, or 1tsp vanilla essence in blender. Add 2-1/3c quinoa, 3/4c melted butter, 3/4c grated raw beetroot, 1c coconut sugar, ½ tsp salt, 1-1/2tsp baking powder, 1/2tsp baking soda and 1c cacao powder. Blend until combined. Bake 30-35mins. Place a piece of baking paper over the top of the tray if they brown too soon. Remove from oven; cool in pan before turning out onto a wire rack. 

24 comments:

  1. Both forever friends and furever friends are precious. And should be cherished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, EC...so very true.

      Thanks for coming by...you are a cherished blogger friend. :)

      Delete
  2. Lee is a wonderful name: short and melodious!
    I just love spelt bread. I might give your recipe a try, although the loaf I buy at the local bakery is quite tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey DUTA....I like my name...and am glad it is short in length....it can't be shortened, and that has always pleased me.

      Stick to the bakery bread...saves on power usage, labour...including the washing up! lol

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  3. I hated my name for years, Elsie is the shortened version of Elsbeth, and in school, far too many teachers insisted I did not know how to spell my own name when I wrote it, they called me Elizabeth, having not heard of Elsbeth before. If I'd been christened Elizabeth I might have been happier about my name. The English/Scottish version is spelled with a "p" instead of the "b".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, River. I think Elsbeth is a lovely name...not one used often. Your teachers sure did display their ignorance; they were at fault in many ways. Their behaviour would've anger/annoyed me. Be happy with your name...it's a good one...and not a common one.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
    2. Anonymous11:27 PM

      I agree with Lee. It is a lovely name and you should use it. I've only seen the p spelling.

      Delete
  4. You are lucky to have such a long standing friend- I'm sure she'll be your No.1 friend forever
    Lee, you are also lucky to have a name that can't be shortened. I don't mind Cathy (although I feel it might be a big young for me now) as well as the Katy and Kate I got at school. My grandma was Kitty - such a lovely old fashion form. Just don't call me 'Cath - you'll lose my friendship forever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day, Cathy...I've known her since I was three and a half years old...and she was 8 years old...and the difference then in our ages...and all throughout our childhood never mattered to us. We lived across the street from each other.

      We clicked immediately and through all the years from those very early days, so long ago, we've cared for each other for our friendship.

      Actually, one of her sisters' married name (surname) was "Kath"! :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  5. Anonymous11:30 PM

    I hope your exalted elevation wasn't because of a death. Be careful with your heart as next time you may be back to second best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Andrew...Actually, my friend is the youngest in her family, which originally consisted of seven children....and one of her older sisters passed away early March...three days after she turned 93. There are now only three surviving members of that family...my dear friend, who turns 80 in July...and two older sisters. She and I have been friends since I was three and a half years old and she was eight. We grew up across the road from each other...she was/is the youngest by a number of years in her family of seven children. Of her six siblings only two now survive. She

      She will always remain my Second Best Friend...as well as my Forever Friend...and the vice versa. We talk often....and laugh lots.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  6. Nice name is Lee. Great you have a forever friend - there is a song called that, 'my forever friend'.
    I used my second name as people would insist on shortening my first name. I hate nick names for myself and my sons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margaret...Yes...the song is sung by Charlie Landsborough - from the mid-90s. I've not heard it in ages.

      I've never had a nick name, wither. And I always refer to people by the name they introduce themselves. I wouldn't feel right shortening someone's name...unless they've introduced themselves to me that way. For example..."Sue" not "Susan". I have a good friend called "Susan" and "Susan" she always is to me, as her husband David, is always "David" to me....and so on.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  7. I might have been missing things on your blog all along as I see the recipes titles are tied to the topic discussed, sometimes I am slow on the uptake. Nice to know you are named after a favorite actress and folks would probably have misspelled your name if you had the other spelling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda...I always try...just for the fun of it...to make some connection between the content and the recipes supplied. More often than not the connection is subtle...so don't worry...you're probably not alone in not picking that up! lol

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  8. Hello Leigh:-) Very nice writing and almost sounds like a page out of a book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now, listen here, Arnie!!! I'll send Dewey Crowe after you if you don't behave yourself!!! :)

      Thanks for coming...take good care. :)

      Delete
  9. I had a dear Aunt who always spelled my name "Kaye". She said that she told my mother it needed that "e" and doggone it, she was going to use it! She was so funny...
    "Lee" always reminds me of Robert E. Lee! After all, I am from the South!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'Day, Kay...Robert E. Lee certainly is part of US history....many stories he helped create. Many battles he fought...winning some, losing others. Sounds like life in general whether one is a Colonel or General in Chief!

      Thanks for coming by. It's always a pleasure to "see" you. :)

      Delete
  10. It's not what they call you, it's what you answer to that counts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I speak for myself...and I answer to myself, messymimi! :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  11. I had assumed that you were named after General Robert E. Lee, commander of the Confederate States Army during The American Civil War. I prefer your connection to Vivien Leigh though it is slightly surprising that your mother didn't pick Vivien instead. I guess that this is because Australia is upside down on the other side of this tiny planet so everything is a bit topsy turvy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No..it was because she preferred the name "Leigh/Lee" to Vivien, Yorkie...and I'm glad she did because I like my name...and its spelling.

      Not everything is topsy-turvy in this wonderful country of ours...probably much less so than most other places on this planet of ours.

      I thought this week was your being "nice week". Tsk! Tsk! :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  12. Not everyone likes ballet, but I do and Nureyev and Fonteyn were both fantastic ballet dancers.

    It seems that we don't always enjoy our given name, although I do like mine :)
    I think Lee is a nice name.

    Seeing your recipe for spelt bread reminded me of one of my nephews. He loves baking/cooking and this bread is one of his specialities .

    Enjoy the weekend.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete