Thursday, April 04, 2019

MONTY PYTHON SAID IT BEST - KNOW WHAT I MEAN? NUDGE, NUDGE! SAY NO MORE…









From a false sense of superiority there are some folk who look down their long, sloping noses at others. Mount Everest turns green with envy at the haughty, elongated inclines. Snow skiers are keen to tackle the sloping descents. The length of such facial protuberances put Pinocchio to shame.  

Pinocchio, the puppet who desperately wanted to be a real boy; Pinocchio whom we grew to love even as the mischievous marionette’s nose grew in length as a result of his propensity for telling porkies with regular intensity. Pinocchio, through no fault of his own, was naively unprepared for the real world.

In the beginning Pinocchio’s life was a tragedy. Called a ‘disgrace’; a ‘rascal’; an ‘imp’, his was a life that started out being a warning to others. Even though his life was in the hands of others - the ones who pulled the strings – Pinocchio remained woodenly stoic. 

I was an “Imp” in my Brownie pack when I was kid.  Fortunately, I escaped the noose. 

Sadly, no such luck for hapless, pathetic Pinocchio. 

His stress-filled existence provided the hangman employment. Hangmen were kept busy back in those days, and through the ensuing years.

The swinging safari lasted even longer than the obscene guillotine. Swinging, although still not officially terminated, kind of came to the end of its tether in 1996.  Chop-chop was formally axed in September, 1981 - would you believe?  

So behave yourselves, folks…no looking down your noses at others.  A finer, preferable choice - a more rewarding option - is to become a Disney favourite. 

Walt Disney came to Pinocchio’s rescue in 1940.  Walt was a caring man. His heart was large, filled with love and fun.

Three years earlier in 1937, Walt had become good friends with Snow White and her roomies.

Inspired by that friendship Mr. Disney felt he should do similar with beleaguered Pino. 

Be mindful if a cricket pays you a visit to treat it kindly.  Pinocchio would’ve been lost if not for his mate Jiminy’s wise guidance.  Your cricket visitor could very well be Jiminy Cricket’s great-grandson.  Jiminy was a chirpy little fellow, one who believed in admirable qualities -truth, morality and worthiness. A cricket never comes to harm if it enters my space.  It’s greeted like an old friend, a good friend…shown due respect and consideration.

Pinocchio’s nose, although it grew in length when he lied, was straight. It not being sloped allowed others to be on a level playing field with Tuscany’s conflicted puppet.

Pinocchio had been brought to life by the blue fairy who was feeling in the pink on that special day. Being eye to eye with Pinocchio, even if at a distance caused by his extended nose, enabled him and his nose to be pulled back into line – something for which he was grateful.  

Each of us, at one time or another, has met someone stricken with a long sloping snout – a proboscis from which they gain pleasure looking down.  In extreme cases a crane - not of the feathered variety – would be essential to lift the offending schnozzle off the ground.  

To quote Monty Python once more:-

Always look on the bright side of life. Always look on the light side of life.

Being unjustly judgmental and audaciously presumptuous aren’t commendable traits.  Unless we remain attentive and considerate - ignorant, undesirable traits easily become unattractive, hard-to-be-rid-of habits…

Glazed Pork Chops: Preheat oven 204C. Season 4, bone-in, 2.5cm thick pork chops. Melt 2tbs butter in pan over med-high heat; add chops; sear both sides, 2-3mins. Place in oven; roast about 8-10mins. Make glaze: combine 1/4c balsamic vinegar, 3tbs honey, 2 minced garlic cloves, 1/2tsp each dried oregano, basil and thyme, and a pinch of chilli, optional, in saucepan over med-heat; season to taste; Bring to boil; reduce heat; simmer until slightly thickened. Spread glaze over chops; serve.

Italian Baked Lamb Chops: Preheat oven 175C.  Drizzle 1tbs x-virgin olive oil in baking dish; on top, evenly layer 1 sliced tomato, 1sliced onion and 2 chopped garlic cloves. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and 1/2c grated Romano cheese. Lay 4 lamb chops (loin or shoulder) in a single layer. It’s okay if they are snug; they’ll shrink as they bake. Drizzle with 1tbs olive oil, and then add another layer of sliced tomatoes, sliced onion and chopped garlic. Sprinkle with 2tsp Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and more grated Romano cheese. Bake 40mins; then increase temp to 190C; drizzle chops with 1/4c dry white wine. Return to oven, bake 15 mins.

Pinot Okey Dokey: Bring 240ml pinot noir and 1/2c sugar to boil; cook until reduced by half; cool, then chill. Combine 1/4c tequila, 2tbs lime juice, chilled pinot syrup and 1tbs Cointreau in ice-filled cocktail shaker. Shake vigorously – the shaker, not you; pour entire contents into glass. Serve with a lime wedge, if desired. 


32 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:44 PM

    Your knowledge of Pinocchio and Jiminy Cricket is much better than mine. Generally, we can all be too quick to judge, in spite of what I posted today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, Andrew. I with what you wrote today on your blog...they are scum...actually...lower than scum...I'm not sure why low-lifes like those two and others of similar ilk are called "scum"...because scum is a layer that rises to the top. Creatures like those two you describe...are the lowest of low...bottom-feeders!

      Thanks for coming by....sorry I've been so tardy re my responses. :)

      Delete
  2. I also have only a sketchy knowledge of Pinocchio and Jiminy Cricket. And no time for those who consider themselves superior.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi EC....Stories from our childhood were fun...and so many were filled with wise life instructions.

      I've no time for those with superior ideas about themselves, either.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  3. It's been years since i read the original of Pinocchio, i do remember, though, that Mr. Disney took a lot of liberties with the characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi messymimi...Walt Disney took liberties but they were enjoyable liberties, bringing much joy and beauty into the lives of children, and adults. In my book, he was/is someone to be admired...and thanked for sharing the fruits of his imagination with us.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  4. Pinocchio is of italian origin but the lesson learnt from his actions in Disney's story (the perils of doing wrong) is universal. Anyway,looking down upon others, being judgemental - is not the right way to treat people

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'Day, DUTA..Yes, dear littler Pinocchio was from Tuscany...a beautiful, much-loved area of Italy.

      Disney brought millions throughout the world much pleasure with his depictions of many wonderful stories...and characters.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  5. I know a few people who looked down on me, they didn't have the fancy noses, they were just way too tall. it's hard to hold a conversation with a crick in your neck. Then there were some who really did look down on anyone who didn't have the same privileges their money bought for them.
    I always liked Pinocchio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey River. I'm not fond of snobs...and have no desire to mingle with them..so I don't..and never have. The opinions they have of themselves...and of others...are both false.

      I like Pinocchio, too...

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  6. With age you get he wisdom to try and see the others' viewpoint and even if finding the attitude flawed, you can accept their reason. Or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tabor...there are cases where the "or not" is applicable. I will not let anyone dictate their high and mighty attitudes towards me. Presumption, in my opinion, and snobbery, are both unworthy attributes to have.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  7. Why do I feel that members of this small community are always looking down their noses at me. Am I really the one looking down my nose at them???

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are some here where I live that do that to me, Annie...they may lots more money than I have, but, in reality, they are no better than I am, even if they live under the false premise that they are. I won't burst their bubble, though! :)

    Thanks for coming by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are good stories, always interesting.
    Don't know of anyone that looks down their noses, can honestly say that.
    We are all equal when all said and done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day Margaret...There are a few around here on the hill...but that's their choice to be and my choice is not to mingle with them. I, too, believe we are all equal, but not all, unfortunately, think that way. I smile and say "Hello" to one and all...that costs nothing. :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  10. I 'love' your weekly post Lee - and often wonder what happened in real life to set your imagination off on a journey - ending in fantasyland as well as the land of food and wine.
    My mother often said 'Don't judge a book by its cover' which is basically why people look down/ feel superior at/to others.
    Ocassionally when I've joined a new group of people who have a different lifestyle but similar interests to me I get that odd feeling that maybe they look down on me but then again it could be my insecurity- wanting to be accepted. Whatever I'm just as good as them:)
    Take care
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Cathy...Thanks...I'm glad you enjoy my posts, My mind works in mysterious ways!!

      "Don't judge a book by its cover" was one of the mantras in our household, too, when I was a child learning about this life we're part of...there were so many sayings instilled in us as guidelines. I hope the young of today are taught similar...and heed them....the good guidelines, I mean. :)

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  11. Fun, as always;) My problem is with the Pinocchios that don't have a good heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra...Yes...a good heart is most important...kindness and goodness never go astray.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  12. I always enjoy your posts and the points you raise.
    I liked Cathy's point of view too … 'Don't judge a book by its cover'

    A big YUM to those Italian Baked Lamb Chops :)

    Hope your Autumn days are cooler now.
    We've had quite reasonable Spring days in my part of the UK... once the hail storms stopped! LOL!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, Jan....I'm glad you enjoy my ramblings....as I said above to Cathy...my mind works in mysterious ways..and I write in the hope I offend no one.

      The temperature has dropped here, thank goodness. I much prefer the cooler weather, plus we had some lovely rain - intermittent, but good soaking showers over the past week or two. The mountain is looking lush and green.

      Thanks for coming by. :)

      Delete
  13. I know that this post is light-hearted but it contains a message with which I thoroughly agree. All other people are our equals and we shouldn't look down upon anyone - be they billionaires, filmstars, hotel cleaners or homeless folk. We are all equal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day Yorkie...that we are. It matters not - or shouldn't - the amount in our bank account or the size of our abode or mode of transport.

      Thanks for coming by...I hope you've caught up on some sleep! :)

      Delete
  14. Excellent post. I was always checking this blog, and I’m impressed! Extremely useful info specially the last part, I care for such information a lot. I was exploring this particular info for a long time. Thanks to this blog my exploration has ended. best stainless cookware

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for picking out the time to discuss this, I feel great about it and love studying more on this topic. It is extremely helpful for me. Thanks for such a valuable help again. Best Hot cold water dispenser in India

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know this is one of the most meaningful information for me. And I'm animated reading your article. But should remark on some general things, the website style is perfect; the articles are great. Thanks for the ton of tangible and attainable help. https://topproductsanalysis.com/best-smokers-for-beginners

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You there, this is really good post here. Thanks for taking the time to post such valuable information. Quality content is what always gets the visitors coming. Best oil dispenser India

    ReplyDelete
  21. It is imperative that we read blog post very carefully. I am already done it and find that this post is really amazing. glass water filter dispenser

    ReplyDelete