Friday, August 04, 2006

As Promised....

Last weekend I gave you seafood and promised I would give the non-seafood lovers a steak dish to mull over or masticate over this weekend. Being one who likes to fulfill her promises, I thought I'd share with you a meal I intend cooking for myself on Sunday. I was going to do it today, but I had unexpected visitors so I laid out some cheese, smoked sprats, salamis, dill cucumbers, tomatoes, a chilli/macardamia spread and olives with a crunchy French loaf and crackers with a bottle or two of wine on the side. We grazed through the spread of tasty tucker as we enjoyed spirited conversation and lots of laughter. Now my visitors have departed and my appetite is sated.

Fillet of Beef with Garlic, Chilli & Coriander: Seal 500g beef fillet on all sides in oil in a heavy-based pan. Cook fillet in same pan in a preheated 190C oven for about 20 minutes for medium rare...more if you like it medium etc. Remove pan from oven and rest the fillet in a warm place. Drain oil from pan and pour in half a cup of good red wine. Deglaze the pan. Add a little butter and 3-4 tablespoons butter. Reduce to sauce consistency. Add half a cup of finely chopped shallots or spring onions, 1tablespoon finely sliced garlic, finely chopped chilli (to taste), ground black pepper and 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander. Cook for a further few minutes. Add any juices from the beef fillet to the sauce. Slice the still-warm beef. Lay out decoratively on a serving platte (the beef slices, not you!) Pour the sauce over the beef and serve with perhaps, a potato bake and a tossed garden fresh salad or other vegetables to your liking.

I'll be opening a bottle of Shiraz to enjoy with my meal. I hope you do similar.

No comments:

Post a Comment